Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Plentyoffish Site/Suggestions/Help  > FAQ: Pay to Read Sent Status of Emails      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 StarliteKisses
Msg: 1
view profile
History
FAQ: Pay to Read Sent Status of EmailsPage 1 of 20    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20)
This just happened as I was checking my email tonight (Sunday approx 7pm ).

So much for this being a free site. I am so disppointed in POF. We have to PAY to just be able to see if someone has read our email??!! WTF?!

I have always referred people to POF saying its a great site. My opinion has changed.

This really pisses me off!!

Anyone else??
 whatthisagain73
Msg: 2
Gold Fish???!!!!
Posted: 12/5/2010 4:08:54 PM
I completely agree with you! Worse part it, it will never go back to the way things were no matter what people say on here!
Completely free site?!?!?! Ya, I don't think so!
 Vintner63
Msg: 3
view profile
History
Gold Fish???!!!!
Posted: 12/5/2010 4:14:10 PM
I have to agree, It was a nice feature. I will not recommend this site to anyone any more. I personally won't pay. I guess it won't be too long before this becomes a pay site, the writing is on the wall
 Rabbitman49
Msg: 4
Gold Fish???!!!!
Posted: 12/5/2010 4:14:53 PM
...Yet another thing our adminstrator has done to F%$@ up this site. When is he going to learn to leave things alone except by user request...?
 JadinC
Msg: 5
view profile
History
Gold Fish???!!!!
Posted: 12/5/2010 4:15:59 PM
This is absolutly CRAZY!!! this is so petty its disgusting... come on POF are you not getting enough money from the advertisers or what! this is stupid... keep this up and your going to lose alot of people

UglyFroggieCritter
Msg: 6
Gold Fish???!!!!
Posted: 12/5/2010 4:24:30 PM
It's still a free dating site, people. Right now you just have to pay to see if someone's read your message or not. Of course, this might change in time, with more features being charged for.

But for now? Not being able to check and see if someone's read your message is not that big of a deal. If they're interested? They'll message you.
 whatthisagain73
Msg: 7
Gold Fish???!!!!
Posted: 12/5/2010 4:28:25 PM
Thing is, he won't change it! He's done this kind of thing before and people complained for a while and he didn't do a thing about it...oh except for banning the user's who actually spoke up from the forums.
I agree though...time to go to another site.
I've been on and off of here for about 7 years now...but this is probably the last straw.
Nice job Markus...you had a great site and a really good idea and you just flushed it down the toilet.
Your site will soon be sleeping with the fishes.
 UglyFroggieCritter
Msg: 8
Gold Fish???!!!!
Posted: 12/5/2010 4:33:26 PM
Unless it's 8 cents for each message you want to unlock.
 softy63
Msg: 9
Gold Fish???!!!!
Posted: 12/5/2010 4:34:29 PM
I've just this minute seen it. I don't own a credit card....never have...never will...!

I don't see the point in charging us either. Its not the end of the world but it does indicate whether someone reads, deletes your message so you don't be a pest and keep emailing them.

Pinkdeville
Msg: 10
view profile
History
Gold Fish???!!!!
Posted: 12/5/2010 4:36:31 PM
I agree, this is no longer a free site. This is only the beginning. Soon you`ll have to pay to quit the site. Bad move POF!!!
 softy63
Msg: 11
Gold Fish???!!!!
Posted: 12/5/2010 4:40:33 PM
To see if any user has Read or Deleted your messages you need 1 goldfish credit which works out to about 8 cents. 1 goldfish credit will unlock this feature permanently for all messages you have sent.

.........so if 1 credit (8 cents) unlocks this permanently, why do we need to pay for 100?

EDIT:..excuse double post but my first post was created a few minutes ago and able to edit but I can't delete it. (I thought deletion and edit time frames were the same?)

Just my 2 cents. lol.
 JohnZ719
Msg: 12
Gold Fish???!!!!
Posted: 12/5/2010 4:55:56 PM
This site isn't free to run. I have no problems with them designating certain features as pay to play as long as viewing and emailing members remains free. They people behind this site have to make money somehow. There aren't a lot of ads on here so I know they're not making it that way.

Some of you need to cool down and stop with the sense of entitlement that you're showing here.
 whatthisagain73
Msg: 13
Gold Fish???!!!!
Posted: 12/5/2010 4:59:35 PM
Well according to Admin, he makes a ton of money from this site. This has come from the person who created the site himself. He said this a couple of years ago that this free site made him a millionaire.
So really...does he need more money by charging for features that we have all gotten used to for years now?
Hey, feel free to pay if you like...I for one will not.
 StarliteKisses
Msg: 14
view profile
History
Gold Fish???!!!!
Posted: 12/5/2010 5:02:55 PM
Go to DateHookUp.com its totally free.

You can bet if people don't pay up for this, Marcus will find something else to charge for...... its the just the beginning.

And you are correct earlier poster..... 8 cents times 100 = $8.00 not $9.95!!

Waiting to see how soon Marcus deletes this thread.......he doesn't like people speaking out against his authority......

Actually from my experience (and I have usually disagreed with the decisions here in the last few years generally) you are allowed to disagree and speak out..... as long as you do it in a civil manner. You start calling people names and insulting them and cursing etc... You get shown the door quickly. Really not to much to ask of you so that you can share your thoughts and opinions really.
 whatthisagain73
Msg: 15
Gold Fish???!!!!
Posted: 12/5/2010 5:05:44 PM
Sounds good to me! Going to datehookup! See you all there! Great job Markus!
Oh ya...you bet he'll delete this thread!
 late™
Msg: 16
Gold Fish???!!!!
Posted: 12/5/2010 5:10:19 PM
Oh please, don't be all shocked and surprised, the slide to pay site started a while ago.

Before: http://web.archive.org/web/20051001085839/www.plentyoffish.com/about.aspx

After: http://www.plentyoffish.com/about.aspx

The users stopped being the clients a while ago, ...this is not news.
 Rabbitman49
Msg: 17
Gold Fish???!!!!
Posted: 12/5/2010 5:10:30 PM
Re - Reply #10: Having to PAY to find out one's message was "unread deleted" seems to me to be the final INSULT. Way to rub it in, admin!

I wouldn't be surprised if Pepperidge Farm has to step up goldfish production in the near future, leading to someone's residence being filled with them from floor to ceiling....
 whatthisagain73
Msg: 18
Gold Fish???!!!!
Posted: 12/5/2010 5:33:00 PM
That's not really the point is it? Obviously many many users used this feature and now that it has been taken away, well you can see that people aren't happy about it. If Admin decided to charge for this feature, then obviously he saw this as an important feature.
IF you don't care about it, that's fine, but as you can see with the backlash, I think most users are having a problem with this.
 Wildstarfall
Msg: 19
Gold Fish???!!!!
Posted: 12/5/2010 5:44:53 PM
We shouldnt have to the site clearly says FREE online dating ! we where told when he created the upgrade your account thing that he wouldn't be taking things away from us only adding on other features for paid users well he has taken things away and its B.S he's clearly making false advertisement!
 whatthisagain73
Msg: 20
Gold Fish???!!!!
Posted: 12/5/2010 5:51:24 PM
People...Markus does NOT give a rat's ass about you or me or if we can find happiness from this site...ALL he cares about is money. Really, that's just the bottom line.
Maybe he'll realize his mistake when people start dropping off the site and his advertisers also start disappearing.
 Super_Eve
Msg: 21
Gold Fish???!!!!
Posted: 12/5/2010 5:52:15 PM
Trappedonbaystreet said:

When they start charging for reading, sending and replying, then I may raise an eyebrow.

Just one?

What would it take to raise two?

And I mean this with the utmost respect....
 UFan74
Msg: 22
Gold Fish???!!!!
Posted: 12/5/2010 6:04:55 PM
how about OK CUPID dot com?
 Irish Eyez
Msg: 23
Gold Fish???!!!!
Posted: 12/5/2010 6:21:47 PM
If anything, it will save some grief from those who whine about 'read/delete' messages. This way, they won't SEE who deleted their messages. It's not ALL bad.
 JohnZ719
Msg: 24
Gold Fish???!!!!
Posted: 12/5/2010 6:26:53 PM
Loyal customer?

Customers buy things, you people are loyal users. There's a big difference.

Everybody has the right to voice their opinion but in the end, I'm not going to get upset when somebody tries to make money off of something they put so much work into.
 Jer808
Msg: 25
view profile
History
Gold Fish???!!!!
Posted: 12/5/2010 6:54:29 PM
Why?
My name is Markus Frind and I created plentyoffish.com. I created this dating site because I was sick of seeing faceless corporations prey on people looking for love. In my mind finding love is not about handing over a monthly fee to some dating site that only cares about making sure you stay another month to pay them again.

We are Different
Plentyoffish.com is a 100% FREE online dating site and constantly changing based on your feedback, and you will notice everything on this online dating site is done so that you can meet people you have personally selected, and you can do it quickly. For example, we are the only major dating site that allows users to block messages from whole groups of other users they aren't interested in. No other dating site would do this as more individual contacts means more money.

Money? Who Cares
I am well aware that Plentyoffish.com could make millions of dollars per month as a subscription service. I couldn’t care less about how much money Plentyoffish.com could make; this site is different. This site wasn't created to mine user’s pocketbooks. Plentyoffish.com is here to make a difference and help people find "the one".

The old "about" section from here...right...so much for that...what are the other 99 gold fish going to be for? Hello pay-for-use site. Be interesting to see if POF is #1 like the new "about" section likes to boast about after these other pay-for-features emerge. The reason so many people came here was because it was FREE.

= $$$
Show ALL Forums  > Plentyoffish Site/Suggestions/Help  > FAQ: Pay to Read Sent Status of Emails