Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Off Topic  > Ideas for dog names.      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 RushLuv
Msg: 2
Ideas for dog names.Page 1 of 4    (1, 2, 3, 4)
I plan to purchase a GR when I get my own spot.

Here is a website with the most popular names for male golden retrievers. You know in the movie Homeward Bound, the boy named his GR "Shadow." I realize you have two, but that name is very cute.:-)

http://www.topgoldenretrieversites.net/cgi-bin/dognames/favoritesdn.cgi?option=2
 shoulderlegs
Msg: 4
view profile
History
Ideas for dog names.
Posted: 12/8/2010 10:12:51 PM
If you REALLY want to name your dog AND have fun at the same time, name your new dog "Arf"! Then, when you go out looking for him, you can yell out for him....
"ARF!! ARF-ARF-ARF!!!".... Then spend the rest of the evening trying to convince the pyschiatric evaluator that you were merely calling for your dog!
 daynadaze
Msg: 5
view profile
History
Ideas for dog names.
Posted: 12/8/2010 10:57:42 PM
Keiffer and Kipper. Okay they aren't serious names, but it's my post and I like the names.
 raxarsr
Msg: 6
view profile
History
Ideas for dog names.
Posted: 12/8/2010 11:01:22 PM
stripe and spot

blackie and brownie

yes..silly i know...........but it'll give everyone who hears them a smile
 curlygrl
Msg: 8
view profile
History
Ideas for dog names.
Posted: 12/9/2010 4:30:10 AM
How about hank and dean from venture brothers.

Kyle and stan from southpark.

Homer and ned from the simpsons.

Brian and stewie from family guy.

Kirk and spock.

Achillies and hector

Burns and smithers.

Ok. I'm done. Good luck.
 motown cowgirl
Msg: 9
Ideas for dog names.
Posted: 12/9/2010 4:55:03 AM
i never name my dogs before they get here. i let 'em hang around the ranch a few days and then they sorta just name themselves based on their personality. in other words, something will suddenly just pop into my mind that "fits" really well. they seem to respond to it almost immediately, too. it's a little weird. i discovered that if i spend a lot of time thinking up names like you're doing, all i can do is come up with a bunch of stuff i don't like.
 RushLuv
Msg: 10
Ideas for dog names.
Posted: 12/9/2010 6:33:35 AM
Max is waaaayyy too common of a name for a male dog, as well as Ben, among others. Personally, I would name my dog(s) something out of the ordinary.
 SouthBayNative
Msg: 12
Ideas for dog names.
Posted: 12/9/2010 8:08:50 AM
My friend Maria from Argentina had a dog named Raul. Her current Scottie is called Lui (short for Luigi) She picks the best dog names. If you want I can ask her. Those are pretty serious names.
 TooShadows
Msg: 13
view profile
History
Ideas for dog names.
Posted: 12/9/2010 8:32:26 AM
Give them each a few names.like some dog breeders do to show dogs. As a kid my parents got a Blue Collie that had been a show dog,and her name was:

Misty Haven's Silver Love Song

or Love for short. Why the previous owner had picked that instead of Misty we could never figure out.
 U make it entertaining
Msg: 14
Ideas for dog names.
Posted: 12/9/2010 9:11:18 AM
We had a poochie, (god bless her) called Asker.

May not be a serious name, however if anyone asked what her name was we said:

Asker Shelltellya

Sure do miss her.

Now I have one called Mannie, short for Manifest. 'Cause I put a photo up on my board 5 years ago, and just found her this summer.
 Chipits
Msg: 15
Ideas for dog names.
Posted: 12/9/2010 11:54:56 AM
Kona and Veejer
 peppermint petunias
Msg: 16
Ideas for dog names.
Posted: 12/9/2010 12:28:38 PM
I think once you see the personality you will be able to pick.

My foster came last Friday and they said her name was Lucy and I went Ugh!!
I know a big crazy slut named Lucy..sticks in my head.

I get her home and she is hilarious..So now it fits as Lucille ball.

I like flower names or just human names..Emily, Emma, Louise..Belle for Isabelle. Isadora.
Boys??????????

Theodore,Wolfgang, Angus but I would have to meet them..
Just don't call one JR..I hear they hate that.

i never name my dogs before they get here. i let 'em hang around the ranch a few days and then they sorta just name themselves based on their personality. in other words, something will suddenly just pop into my mind that "fits" really well. they seem to respond to it almost immediately, too. it's a little weird. i discovered that if i spend a lot of time thinking up names like you're doing, all i can do is come up with a bunch of stuff i don't like.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Meet them first..
 SpecificTruths
Msg: 17
Ideas for dog names.
Posted: 12/9/2010 12:34:38 PM
Goldens are stoic in appearence, but clownish in personality most of the time.
Hard to pick a name for them, but I'd choose one or the other. If I were you, I'd wait a bit and try to gauge their personalities. Besides, most puppies are called "No" for the first few weeks, anyway.

Lance(alot) and Arthur?
Turner and Hooch?
Beebop and Rocksteady? (ok, just kidding about that one; bonus points if you know who they are)
Obama and Biden?
Bush and Cheney?

My golden/lab mix is named Tucker, but he was a year old when I got him and I never changed his name. I usually just call him "Tuck," "T," or "Big T," anyway...
 RubyWaxxx
Msg: 18
Ideas for dog names.
Posted: 12/9/2010 12:35:11 PM
^^Glad to hear you've got a new pup, Pepps! Hope she's a gorgeous doggie xx
I've got a Woody. It's great to see people's faces when you go to the park and yell ''Woody! Where are you Woody?''...(it's not like that, you dirty-minded people. Woody was born on a wood pile)
 hemanmachostudlovegod
Msg: 19
Ideas for dog names.
Posted: 12/9/2010 3:49:38 PM

I like serious type of names

Heart Attack
and
Tax Audit

HA and TA for short

Poor dogs. I hope they can abide your dour disposition.

[The dog playfully rolls onto its back, expecting to have its belly rubbed. Snowdrop14 stands over it, scowling. ]

"Just what do you think you are doing, Mister Pennington Haberdashery III?"

[Dog slinks away in shame.]
 peppermint petunias
Msg: 20
Ideas for dog names.
Posted: 12/9/2010 4:53:13 PM

I've got a Woody. It's great to see people's faces when you go to the park and yell ''Woody! Where are you Woody?''...(it's not like that, you dirty-minded people. Woody was born on a wood pile

Woodrow ???? LOL ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Abbott and Costello?
Dean and Jerry?
Buck and Chuck? Don't google that kay???????????
Jan and Dean
Frank and Johnny
 FrankNStein902
Msg: 21
Ideas for dog names.
Posted: 12/9/2010 4:55:17 PM

Suggestions anyone?

As previously stated.

You can not name him / her before you get to know him / her.

Let it happen organically.
 ItsMargo
Msg: 22
view profile
History
Ideas for dog names.
Posted: 12/9/2010 5:24:39 PM
I once named a dog my very fav girl name on account of it suited her and I didn't plan on having kids. Well dayumed if I didn't have a kid - and a girl child at that - before the dog died, so I couldn't use the name. Somehow it didn't seem right to name my kid after the dog. She was a great dog tho'

So don't use a name you might want to, umm, recycle, someday.

Our current 'pretend' dog is Buddy cuz this super friendly guy really is everybody's instant buddy. I never realized until then how many people say "how ya doin' buddy?" when they meet a strange dog. (Second most common greeting is 'Pal' which oddly enough was our second choice name). This little guy is convinced everyone magically knows him and the world is full of friendly people who like you! That's not a bad thing to give a guy along with his name.
 daynadaze
Msg: 24
view profile
History
Ideas for dog names.
Posted: 12/9/2010 7:52:27 PM
I have an internet friend who has a girl cat named Snowball then they got a neutered male cat, he named him Noball.
 JustAGrlWthACat
Msg: 25
Ideas for dog names.
Posted: 12/9/2010 8:53:35 PM
I always like the simple, classic name Max. Oscar too.
I love Francis. Ernest. Boris. Mack.
 Island home
Msg: 26
Ideas for dog names.
Posted: 12/9/2010 8:55:11 PM
**** and Dog

or msgs this short cant be posted

Edit
Guess POF would prefer you call her "She Dog"
 RockinDaze
Msg: 27
Ideas for dog names.
Posted: 12/9/2010 9:37:33 PM
I bred my JRT years ago and because I didn't want to give the pups names I called them all BeBe. Of course when I decided to keep one BeBe is what stuck because it already knew that name. A golden retriever is stylish yet playful... such as Ace, Jewel, Opal, just a thought...
 karma1160
Msg: 28
Ideas for dog names.
Posted: 12/9/2010 10:10:29 PM
I once had two lab/shepard males that were named Poncho and Lefty it suited them.
They were total outlaws. They would break loose of anything we put them in and carouse the neighborhood looking for things to steel.
Once Lefty brought home a 17.00$ dollar pork tenderloin, he walked into the garage first to see if we were in there and left the meat outside. He was a cagy dog, but very lovable.
If you want formal names why not name them after some kind of duke or king
How about Sir lancelot or Prince Albert. I think Golden retreivers are so majestic and admirable you could name one the Admiral and the other one the Captain.
 OMG!WTF!
Msg: 29
view profile
History
Ideas for dog names.
Posted: 12/10/2010 5:48:23 PM
I'm starting to run out of noble golden retriever names. Inca, Maya and Aztec were all wonderful dogs. Since those are taken and retired I would just have to hope that little Quetzalcoatl and Chapultapec will come when called.

Actually I'd recommend Ahuizotl. Ahuitzotl is a legendary Aztec man eating monkey dog with a hand on its tail that it uses to snatch its prey. After a few weeks of golden puppies ruining your life, you'll understand the reference. You could call him Hooie for short.

Xolotl was Quetzalcoatl's dog's name. Xolo for short. Pronounced Zolo.

Golden in Aztec is "teokuitlatl". Maybe Teo would be cute. Dog in Aztec is "Chi Chi." Totally cute.

Whatever you choose it should be short, sweet, easy to pronounce sharply. Lots of Europeans use German when training their dogs because commands are so much simpler and sharper in German than many other languages. I wouldn't reccomend German names though. Those aren't even good for German Shepards.
 kari135
Msg: 30
view profile
History
Ideas for dog names.
Posted: 12/10/2010 6:07:35 PM
I've had so many dogs, I got to recycle some names several times. Many of them came with a name already, and if they didn't have any bad things associated with it, they kept those names. Except one - he was originally My Handsome Prince, and I just couldn't handle that, so his name evolved to Prince Charlie, then just Charlie.

And no matter what you choose, they will end up with nicknames, too. My last Max was more often Maximum Overdrive or Dozerdawg.
Show ALL Forums  > Off Topic  > Ideas for dog names.