Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Plentyoffish Site/Suggestions/Help  > New Feature - Last Time Online      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 softy63
Msg: 1
New Feature - Last Time OnlinePage 1 of 4    (1, 2, 3, 4)
I just noticed it a few minutes ago! I like this feature, thankyou Markus.

Great to see when the people I've messaged were last on line and for how long. Thanks.

Hopefully this may put people's minds at rest as to why they havnt been replied to yet, etc.

Anyone else think this is a good idea?
 UglyFroggieCritter
Msg: 2
New........Last online feature.........!!
Posted: 12/8/2010 10:33:44 PM
It's an interesting function, but once again, like the green dot, people will be able to track our movements.

Not a biggie to me, cause frankly I don't care who knows when I'm online on PoF, but others? I imagine there'll be some outcries happening come morning.
 miakid84
Msg: 3
view profile
History
Posted: 12/8/2010 11:37:25 PM
Markus, doesn't realize there is a sort of game to dating. You don't want potential dates to see you are online on pof all day. Women and Men are attracted to people who have a life, so let's say you leave your browser on pof all day, but are about the house or whatever, it makes you look kind of bad. Also this whole "Serious Member" thing, I don't know where you came up with the 230% thing, but I personally think it makes people look desperate. On the last date from pof I had , we were laughing about people with the "Serious Member" attached to their profile.

I'm glad he is a great programmer, but there is a reason why he built a dating website, to find a date. He doesn't have much skill set here.

Also he isn't a good business person, why would you brag you make $10 million a year and are completely liable too? Do yourself a favor incorporate the site, and go public. Keep %51 of the shares and use the income to invest in the site and some staff, take a page form Facebook.
 femaleconnection
Msg: 4
Posted: 12/9/2010 3:25:06 AM
Im not a fan of anything that shows when I am or was online last. People make absurd assumptions with this information...it is useless really. JMO Id only like these features if I could elect to be blocked from them. ie facebook, I can show myself as offline. I prefer that...too many nosey people who creep pages to figure out where you are.
 abelian
Msg: 5
Posted: 12/9/2010 6:03:53 AM

I totally approved of the Read/Delete update but why do we have to have our login times displayed? Part of the online dating game is to not 'appear' sad or needy and the 'last online' status defeats this purpose.

If I were still dating, I'd call that a plus. I deliberately tried to avoid the poseurs who played that game, so if that makes playing that game more difficult and/or easier to identify those who play it, I'd be all for it so that I could avoid those people more easily.
 Frodo_Baggins
Msg: 6
view profile
History
Posted: 12/9/2010 6:05:51 AM
Well you can’t please all of the people all of the time.

But between this and other recent site changes, people are getting upset about stuff and nonsense here and are too engrossed in their own world and not stepping back to look at the bigger picture. For some people perhaps online dating (free or paid for) is not the place to be with respect to finding introductions. They may be better trying alternative ways of meeting people, there was a time when the internet didn’t exist, what did people do then?

Knowing when the recipient of a message was last online does give some perspective to why you haven’t had a reply. But that person may be “time poor” and not have the time to answer all of the messages stacked up in their inbox, don’t worry about it.
And what if they have hidden their profile then the page won't show when they where last online - I know this, as a couple of my contacts are currently hidden because of external time demands but they still logon to POF and check their inbox and reply as well.

I personally would like to see every profile and link to a profile (thumbnails etc.) indicate when the user was last active, it doesn’t need to be down to the hour or minute, but day, week, month and year will do. That way you will know if you’re chasing an active POF user or a stale profile that’s a year or more old.

Finally a bit of friendly advice to Markus, don’t fix something that isn’t broken. The holiday season is upon us, take an early break from the computer and come back in February/March 2011.
 RushLuv
Msg: 7
Posted: 12/9/2010 6:06:07 AM
This feature is repetitive, because we already have the green dot=online now feature.

I don't like the newest one.
 U make it entertaining
Msg: 8
Posted: 12/9/2010 6:15:46 AM
Oooo... I'm not liking that one!

My Goodness, what is Marcus thinking?

He has the opportunity to make a few bucks with the sent feature, and now he adds on top the information of when they were last online. Again, this is going to upset a lot of people like cowboy said.

This really posses the question on how serious is Marcus taking this site.

This is a business with the opportunity to make money.

*** shakes head ***
 Frodo_Baggins
Msg: 10
view profile
History
Posted: 12/9/2010 7:21:20 AM

And what if they have hidden their profile then the page won't show when they where last online -
The only places I have seen this so far is on inbox and sent messaages And being hidden does not keep it from showing there does it?

Cowboy

I've seen it on the sent messsage list with no last log in times for a couple of contacts who I know to be hidden - they don't show up in searches either unless searches specifically by user name but I have received answers from them to my messages.
 RushLuv
Msg: 11
Posted: 12/9/2010 8:02:34 AM
@TDH,

It appears that we will only be seen through email correspondence with the last online feature.

There is a slight positive side to this, and that is, once people delete their messages or the system automatically delete emails after 20 days, they will no longer be able to see the last time we were online.

I currently have a few read emails in my inbox, and if I delete them, I can no longer see the last time the guy was online.
 HawkingJr
Msg: 12
view profile
History
Posted: 12/9/2010 8:04:05 AM
I was about the join the chorus of it being a bad idea... but oddly enough it ended up being immediately helpful! One woman asked to meet me in real life yesterday after a few days of rapid and frequent emailing (initiated, Out80x, by a "Meet Me" YES click from me), so I responded positively, but hadn't heard back from her in, oh, 22 hours, and was starting to wonder if I had said the wrong thing in my email (even though unlike most I have access to my sent folder, I never look at it so I had no idea if she read it). But just logging in and checking out the new feature, I discovered she hadn't logged in since 23 hours ago, making it impossible that she's read my last email. So I can quit worrying about that, for now, thanks to the new feature!

But all that said, I could have lived for a couple more days without knowing what was going on, as I think overall, it's just not a good idea, especially for someone like me who logs in several times a day. "Oh, my God, what's this guy's problem? He's ALWAYS on line!" (Mmm, for you to know that, wouldn't that mean YOU were also always on line?) Although, on the other hand, I don't send out first contact emails anymore because of "Meet Me," so it's not like complete strangers will be wondering why I'm online so much but rather women who apparently thought enough of me to send the first contact anyway. I mean, it's probably not that big of a deal for my circumstances, but I can see why people think it's a bad idea.

What does surprise me about this new feature is, given the events of the past week, that it doesn't cost 15 goldfish, though maybe his strategy is to get current users hooked on free functions, THEN charge for them after the value is realized. Kinda reminds me of the Blue Magic heroin strategy in "American Gangster."
 RushLuv
Msg: 13
Posted: 12/9/2010 8:30:29 AM
Cowboy,

That is what I meant.

Once emails are deleted from either side, either individuals will no longer be able to tell when the last time either was online.
 _TALL_IQ2_
Msg: 14
Posted: 12/9/2010 8:36:58 AM
the poseurs who played that game, so if that makes playing that game more difficult and/or easier to identify those who play

"all the world's a stage" and ALL of us are the players.. The more we accept reality the better for all...

"O, wad some Power the giftie gie us.. To see oursels as ithers see us!"... Burns

"what a tangled web we weave, when first we practice to deceive.." Sir Walter Scott

A huge part of the game of love is uncertainty about the other..
Having a few more facts like when they were last online is a plus since it reduces their possible "game" playing... S
 ~breathlesshush~
Msg: 15
view profile
History
Posted: 12/9/2010 9:00:49 AM
Ohhhhh, I hate this feature. It wouldn't be so bad if it just showed up in your/their inbox, but in the sent message folder is just too much.

Now, even if you don't reply, they can see when you were last online for the next twenty days.

So not cool. :(

It is removed from their sent messages as well as your inbox if you BLOCK them. I see a huge increase in blocks coming here.
 U make it entertaining
Msg: 16
Posted: 12/9/2010 9:08:04 AM
Cowboy, you are a mod. I believe there to be 2 others. (...and doing this for free????)

Do you not receive ANY correspondence from him as to what he is implementing and why?

Do you just run blind and have to answer all us unhappy people with whatever information you can muster up?

Two Global mods. Trapped and I are the only Global mods. We also have an event mod. So if your counting her that is three total. And yes we are VOLUNTEERS and not employees. We don't even get free Gold Fish points. LOL

We receive no notifications, explanations of any site features, changes or updates whatsoever. We have zero input on changes. My suggestions have as much power here as yours do.

I can write markus and ask a specific question. He may or may not reply and when he does it can sometimes take a few days. Sorta like with any other regular member trying to reach him. Mods have no "hotline" to reach Markus. We send messages to his profile here (BigFish) just like everyone else has to. I would like to believe when he scans over the 500 new emails a day he gets, and he see's one from me and the subject is "HELP ! THIS IS URGENT" that he will go ahead and check it out! But that is about all the extra power I have here and it isnt much. Mods ONLY help in the forums. We do not code, we have no input into site features, functions, changes or policies.

We find out about problems and changes just like you and everyone else does.

From the top of this very forum section is a quote from Markus.

"Moderators will have limited understanding of how new features work. I (admin) create and test new features in a matter of hours and constantly tweak things to see how they work. Many new features will be in a constant state of flux. Should a feature not enhance the site it will be removed"

So we mods test as best we can and try and advise and suggest solutions to known problems and new issues here.

As you can tell from many of my responses here I have never been told I have to toe the company line as far as what I honestly feel, think or advise. If I don't like a change or feature I am free to express that in a civil and non insulting manner. As are all members. We VOLUNTEER our time but can also post here and offer our OPINION just like any one else. I am not an employee so I am not expected to have to agree with site changes and policies.

Cowboy
 StarshipNarrator
Msg: 17
view profile
History
Posted: 12/9/2010 10:40:39 AM
This is the third shit feature POF has put out aside from the Meet Me and paid "read" message system. Is there someone whispering these stupid ideas into Markus' ears or is he coming up with them himself?
 HawkingJr
Msg: 18
view profile
History
Posted: 12/9/2010 12:19:12 PM
One of the users in my inbox no longer has a listing for when she was last online. She did earlier today -- she is, in fact, the person I previously mentioned. There's just a blank space for her online listing time now (and has been the last couple of times I logged on over the past 3-4 hours), though all other people in my inbox (both above and below hers) have a time listing.

Do you think that's just some sort of hiccup in the system or did she find a way to turn the indicator off? I've gone through edit profile and mail settings and could find no such thing. Don't think her profile is hidden -- she is still listed in my "Viewed Me" search.
 HawkingJr
Msg: 19
view profile
History
Posted: 12/9/2010 1:45:19 PM
"I also have not seen a time displayed greater than 24 hours."

That's probably what it is -- she was at 23 hours last time it showed up, so I guess it can't go past 24 hours, which seems ridiculous. I have another one approaching 24 hours, we'll see what happens. All the others in my inbox have logged on within the past 24 hours.
 JohnZ719
Msg: 20
Posted: 12/9/2010 2:15:36 PM
This feature should be able to be turned on or off by the user.
 RushLuv
Msg: 21
Posted: 12/9/2010 2:25:33 PM
Cowboy,

I am not getting this at all.

If I delete a guys mail out of my inbox, yes, it is true, I will NOT be able to see the last time HE WAS ONLINE. However, if he deletes my mail, he will NO LONGER be able to see the last time I was online, either.

How can guys still see the last time I was online through his inbox, if he deleted my emails? The green dot only shows the person is ONLINE, but not the last time he/she was on.
 4408joseph
Msg: 22
view profile
History
Posted: 12/9/2010 3:12:45 PM
new feature???? no notice past 23 hours??/
...pfffft!!!

All this information is the same as if you fav'd them..and then clicked
to your favorites!

No it is not. You always controlled who you allowed to add you to favorites.
 4408joseph
Msg: 23
view profile
History
Posted: 12/9/2010 6:29:24 PM
No it is not. You always controlled who you allowed to add you to favorites.

Ummm... how so ?¿?¿?... anyone can add you to their favorites, just as I can add them..On your favorites list shows last date and time they were on....

...Best they/you can do is remove...which can lead to just them adding again(even if blocked)

Is there a feature where you can STOP someone from being added to your favorites?????? Do tell.
 RushLuv
Msg: 24
Posted: 12/9/2010 6:38:21 PM

This feature should be able to be turned on or off by the user.

Agreed. Just like favorites, we should have the option to control the feature.
 UglyFroggieCritter
Msg: 25
Posted: 12/9/2010 6:55:16 PM

You realize we delete accounts here when they accumulate too many blocks right?

Man, they'll be dropping like flies.....

OT

I'm with the majority of posters, it really is a bad reason, if only for the fact that people may get all pissy cause "so and so that I sent my message to is online and hasn't answered my mail. Imma gonna message them again and give them heck." And out comes the block.

Or blocking everybody so that this time thingy doesn't show up.

Man, this'll be some fricken mess.
 Halcyon_Skies
Msg: 26
Posted: 12/10/2010 11:16:53 AM
Only way to remove it from his sent messages is to block him. and if you ever message him he can see when you are online for 20 days and there is no way to hide it period.

Cowboy

So to bypass this feature, can you block a person temporarily just to remove your messages from their sent messages so that they can't see when you were last online---then unblock them again right afterwards?

YES! Great idea I had not thought of. GOOD ONE!
Show ALL Forums  > Plentyoffish Site/Suggestions/Help  > New Feature - Last Time Online