Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Relationships  > How do you think internet dating will change relationships?      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 MsMicki
Msg: 3
view profile
History
How do you think internet dating will change relationships?Page 1 of 2    (1, 2)
I think it's making people "overthink" everything!!
 ItsMargo
Msg: 4
view profile
History
How do you think internet dating will change relationships?
Posted: 12/11/2010 7:18:07 AM
Relationships won't change a bit; the opportunity to meet people you wouldn't come across in real life has expanded.
 U make it entertaining
Msg: 7
Posted: 12/11/2010 8:01:11 AM
Internet dating opens the door to meet someone. That's it.

Change relationships???? How so?

In order to have a relationship, you have to meet someone. Back to line one.
 _TALL_IQ2_
Msg: 8
Posted: 12/11/2010 8:15:05 AM
have a means to manipulate how they are perceived, giving them a chance, and when it comes out (after meeting, a few dates, a couple months) they aren't all that

And THAT is the crux.. Online most people can embellish and try to manipulate others perception of them so much more than IRL..

Some Forumites seem to enjoy their perceived anonymity and feel free to bash others in ways they would never even consider if face-to-face..

Online behind the keyboard seems to provide some a false sense of power and control they would be clearly lacking IRL...

Because establishing and maintaining a truly compatible long-term SO relationship IS
the second greatest challenge of life,

since it REQUIRES allowing about 50% control to another imperfect human such as yourself...
Nearly impossible for many Forumites to do..
 daynadaze
Msg: 13
view profile
History
Posted: 12/11/2010 10:33:24 AM
I think this has always gone on, I don't see how the internet has changed anything other than you can 'meet' people online you'd never have a chance to get to know otherwise. Then again, pen pals have been around forever.

I have no idea why so many people think that good looking equals finding someone, some people are good at social skills and salesmanship and some aren't, and good looking is subjective. People have been finding someone to love and be with since people began, it's not new and it doesn't depend on having some special kind of looks or charm or money, etc., some people luck out, some make their own luck and some no matter their looks or situations never seem to get there.

The world wide web does make for a much bigger playing field but in the end it all about the meeting, being compatible and willing to be together. It doesn't matter if you meet 20 people or 20,000, it's all about the one that works out in the end. Either you find that or you don't.
 WaywardWynde
Msg: 15
view profile
History
Posted: 12/11/2010 10:39:53 AM

What spoils it all, is the dishonest information entered by individuals misrepresenting themselves in the hope of attracting their "ideal"

That's for sure a problem, the bogus people behind some number of profiles.

What's ALSO a problem is that matching up with a new partner is an emotional thing rather than a logical thing. Facts, in the context of mating, are as dry as thousand year old dust.

Unfortunately, many people believe that "chemistry" is nothing but unusual beauty or handsomeness. Yet, however important physical attractiveness is (and it is indeed important to both women and men) there are many, many, many, many, many, many others things which in the end are also important.

An additional problem is that most people are not particularly attractive (doubt that? view the people in the room the next time you go on jury duty), with few attempting to make themselves attractive. These people can look at whatever movie star(s) and say, "I want -- and deserve -- one of them." They, of course, can't get a movie star. Yet, they also don't understand movie stars ARE performers, and they are taught specifically how to look enticing on a movie or tv screen. For most people, that look does not exist in the world of the Internet, though it does exist in spades in the real world.
 licoricecat_1
Msg: 18
view profile
History
Posted: 12/11/2010 11:43:07 AM
On line dating has its ups and downs. On line is probably healthier than meeting someone in a bar for instance. You only see their outer in a bar. On-line they actually are selling themselves and their interests in their profile and if they are being honest---you are knowing something about them before you meet them and what their interests are. It saves time in the long run. Similar to a job interview. Your first meeting you find out a little more.
 Walts
Msg: 27
Posted: 12/12/2010 6:21:28 AM
All on-line did was just added another type of "relationship" to the mix. I know I chat with a few here that I,realistically will probably never meet face to face. Logistics and location being the only reasons.

On-line dating is just a tool. And notice I didn't say a "great" or "good" tool,,,just a tool. Basically it's up to us how well it will work. And therein lies the crux of the matter. As soon as we get the "fibbers", the "fact stretchers",etc into play, it's just like the real world except magnified. We still have to "weed" out the ca ca(there's just more of it). We still have to find the one that we are most comfortable with. We still have to find that one that will "match" or at least kinda "match".

I don't think initial contact is much easier here, in fact, probably much harder. I know in the real world, I have no problem striking up (and keeping) a conversation with someone that I "just meet/met", if I feel the desire to do so,male or female. Here,people that have been for a period of time, step slowly and quietly. They have seen enough ca ca come their way that will ALWAYS look at an intial e-mail with a raised eyebrow, and even with some attraction will be looking for that dreaded red-flag.

So, in the end, I know that the intial meet,first contact, or whatever ya want to call it has been always hard in the "real world". But I am finding it even harder and less real on sites like this. Kinda sucks, cause like some have said, in "theory" this place should be the place to be. But, like always, reality has to come around and kick us in the bum to keep us on our toes.
Show ALL Forums  > Relationships  > How do you think internet dating will change relationships?