Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Dating Experiences  > What Should a Man Smell Like ?      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 mikejustmike
Msg: 1
What Should a Man Smell Like ? Page 1 of 7    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7)
What smell will attract a woman to a man and what smell will push her away ?
....and can his cheerful and boisterous personality compensate for his bad smell (foul odor) or not ?
Would YOU date a good, handsome man with chronically bad body odor, bad breath or chronic gas ?
Would You ....
Or not.....
 womaninblack
Msg: 2
What Should a Man Smell Like ?
Posted: 12/14/2010 1:33:13 PM
Absolutely, firmly, without a question

NO!

No matter how funny and charming he may be, i may not notice that if I have to keep holding my breath.
I like living.
And don't confuse being funny with smelling funny.
Nothing funny about that!
 *army mom*
Msg: 3
Posted: 12/14/2010 1:36:40 PM
NOOOO ... a good personality isn't going to negate body odor.

NOOOO ... I wouldn't date a handsome man if he smelled like sh*t.

If the guy had a medical condition, I might reconsider. I had a guy friend in college who had the most horrible body odor -- even right after a shower. But he eventually got married.

I just prefer my men to smell clean -- like soap and water ... a little cologne for special occasions is nice though.
 Sabrosura089
Msg: 4
Posted: 12/14/2010 1:37:26 PM
This will bring some entertaining responses!!!

I don't think I could tolerate someone with a B.O. and/or mouth (halitosis) order. How can you be intimate with someone if you want to hurl when near them?

Desirable smells - a hint of cologne and freshly bathed.
 _TALL_IQ2_
Msg: 5
Posted: 12/14/2010 1:43:14 PM
What smell will attract a woman to a man and what smell will push her away ?

Suggest you stop eating asparagus, onions and garlic.. You are what you eat, you know..

Maybe some sweetbread, fruit and nuts instead of that steak and salad staple you usually do..

Some women may not acknowledge it, but most are attracted to the natural male pheromone related to testosterone contained in fresh male sweat..

Just emphasize the "fresh" part, meaning don't let your sweat age until you develop a patina..
 Helen0426
Msg: 6
Posted: 12/14/2010 1:45:36 PM
Fresh and clean.

That's it!

I don't mind cologne if he doesn't virtually bathe in it, and if we have more or less the same taste in it (I like light, citrusy scents, and often wear men's colognes myself). But fresh and clean is all that really matters.

Would YOU date a good, handsome man with chronically bad body odor, bad breath or chronic gas ?

I don't tend to go for handsome types. That aside... Chronic gas, maybe. That's very likely to be readily treatable. So are bad breath and bad body odor, usually, but my experience is, there's no persuading anyone over the age of about 15-16 to attend to them in any meaningful way, or they wouldn't have chronic bad breath or body odor in the first place. So those two, no, absolutely not.

Where chronic gas is a bit different is that many simply don't know the huge variety of potential reasons behind it (er, so to speak) and think "That's just the way I am," never considering mentioning it to a doctor. And since they're not fond of having the problem themselves, suggesting talking it over with one's doctor tends to result in action.
 MichelleRenee1234
Msg: 7
Posted: 12/14/2010 1:45:58 PM
For the hundreds or millions who might say "no," there's always at least one who can deal with it. And all it takes it one, right?

I'm sure there are many women who have no sense of smell! Or women who might even find it attractive, who knows? Don't worry, we all have undesirable qualities. And we all find someone to love us for and/or in spite of them.
 mikejustmike
Msg: 8
Posted: 12/14/2010 1:51:33 PM
OK....then what smell on a man makes you turn your head and check him out ?
.....and is there a smell (perfumes/cologne) that makes you just purrrrr at him and ravish him with great delight ????
Is there ???

You know, when I was growing up man's smell was the smell of tobacco, horse sweat, leather and the musty fragrance of a farm, and women smell was pretty much the same, god I miss sooo much the smell of a real country woman !!!
 WaywardWynde
Msg: 9
view profile
History
Posted: 12/14/2010 2:02:04 PM
Believe it or not, BO (Body Order) (the strong order coming from the armpits) _is_ Mother Nature's scent to indicate sexual excitement.

Pre-pubescents do not have BO. In many cultures, BO is considered a sign of strength in a man or fertility in a woman.

Foul, unbathed smell can also have a strong effect (I once had been doing grubby work on a boat for several hours in the hot sun, when I went to the girl friend's place. I wanted to shower, saying I smelled like a goat. She said, "that's okay", and moved into me. Twice more I said I needed a shower for I smelled bad. Twice more she said it was "okay".)

In Western culture it is generally considered bad form to smell anything but "nice". (When I was in the Marine Corps it was expressly forbidden to wear cologne, deodorants of the time not particularly effective.)

That said, I have heard various women speak strongly in favor of some particular smell on a man that made them excited. Unfortunately (for me), there was no consensus of what the magic smell was. One woman likes one thing, another women liked something else, next woman liked yet again something different.

If a particular woman gives me a particular aftershave for Christmas, I take care to wear it around her.
 womaninblack
Msg: 10
Posted: 12/14/2010 2:06:45 PM
The smell that used to make me stop in my tracks and inhale deeply used to be the cologne "aqua di gio"... but I'm outgrowing that one.
The one I will never outgrow is the smell of clean from within skin. It's the personal scent of "the one", rather than a cosmetic smell.
 Helen0426
Msg: 11
Posted: 12/14/2010 2:10:04 PM

OK....then what smell on a man makes you turn your head and check him out ?
.....and is there a smell (perfumes/cologne) that makes you just purrrrr at him and ravish him with great delight ????

The only thing that might have that much of an effect is clean, fresh sweat, on someone with whom I have an established strong attraction. Otherwise, there's nothing in this area that'll bring on either of those responses.

But, though the effect is merely appealing, if he likes cologne, I am very fond of Curve for Men and Acqua di Gio. Basically anything in that "scent family." In very small amounts! That's important. A good rule of thumb is, should you choose to use cologne, stop putting it on when you think you are about halfway done.

Horse sweat and leather are pretty darned appealing, too!
 mikejustmike
Msg: 12
Posted: 12/14/2010 2:29:48 PM
The Nose Knows:
" According to researchers, the smell of a man's sweat differs according to what mood he is in - and woman can subconsciously tell when a man is sexually attracted to her by the smell of his sweat, they’ve discovered that men’s sweat smells like cheese, especially in his genital area.

The researchers also discovered why women’s sweat smelled like onions when they are sexuly aroused: The female sweat had ten times the level of an odorless sulfur-containing compound than men. It turns out that when this sulfur compound is mixed with bacteria under the arm, it creates a chemical called thiol—and this chemical is known for smelling like onions. "

so, women who smell like onions and men who smell like chese should be a perfect match for each other !!!!
 GirlyMuscle
Msg: 13
Posted: 12/14/2010 2:35:19 PM
For the most part, clean . However if he is hot and muscular, a little sweat and dirt is kinda hot ~ i a good way. Not BO, not bad breath ~ but sweat. From hard work. :)
 RushLuv
Msg: 14
Posted: 12/14/2010 2:39:44 PM
I'm with Helen. Fresh and clean is all I need.

If he smells good, fine but it isn't a requirement for a man to smell good. Not in my book any way. Just as long as he doesn't stink, it's good.

And hell no. There is no way I would date a man with BO, and bad breath.

Chronic gas...yeah...if it's coming out of his mouth. Frankly, I like to burp.
 moraima
Msg: 15
view profile
History
Posted: 12/14/2010 3:15:00 PM
"they’ve discovered that men’s sweat smells like cheese, especially in his genital area."

Was there any info in the study aoubut cheese smell in gential area a sign of a yeast infection?

We all sweat when doing hard work. Hopefully we all shower before inviting someone to visit out genital area.

motown cowgirl
Msg: 16
Posted: 12/14/2010 3:24:26 PM

no. let me repeat for emphasis: NO and HELL no. i couldn't even respect anybody with that much disregard for the most fundamental standards of personal hygiene. i'd say take bath, take two or six baths, brush your teeth, see a dentist, get a better diet, and get the fuk away from me. i'd say JAYzuss, are you 5, pigpen? did you grown up in a barn? yeah right, like i'd want some foul smelling beast on top of me... a sweatin' and a humpin' and breathing on me and stinking up the room and staining my sheets.... ugh i'm almost suffocating just thinking about it! wow, wouldn't that be special.... a hallmark moment in the balmy trenches of swinelandia. ooooo, sexy!

would YOU date a good, beautiful woman with chronically bad body odor, bad breath or chronic gas? let me guess: the answer depends on how pretty she is, right?

wow, anybody want a cheese cracker?
 Natural-J
Msg: 17
Posted: 12/14/2010 4:25:49 PM
You should only smell like cologne when a woman puts her nose within 3 inches of your body. Soap and Deodorant are the only things to be smelled from a distance. If you smell like anything else, take a shower.

FWIW- You can be incredibly hot looking and smell like sh*t, I've heard Matthew McConaughey smells HORRID.
 L_LuuLuu
Msg: 18
view profile
History
Posted: 12/14/2010 4:41:15 PM
Mike asks:

Would You ....
Or not.....

Cowgirls answers:

would YOU date a good, beautiful woman with chronically bad body odor, bad breath or chronic gas?

Mike, you wouldn’t bother with a woman that stunk, either. Did you ever stop to realize that MOST women are even more sensitive to cleanliness and hygiene issues in a date than MOST men are.

I wish more men knew that. It costs a lot of them a lot of happiness, sometimes.
 mikejustmike
Msg: 19
Posted: 12/14/2010 4:45:21 PM
DRAKKAR NOIR cologne by Guy Laroche always works for me, it makes women ask ...what's that perfume you are wearing ?
................................................................................................................................
 christ on a crutch
Msg: 20
view profile
History
Posted: 12/14/2010 4:50:10 PM

so, women who smell like onions and men who smell like chese should be a perfect match for each other !!!!

they could draw a hot bath, throw in a big crouton and jump in, and you've got french onion soup.
 WaywardWynde
Msg: 21
view profile
History
Posted: 12/14/2010 4:57:16 PM

would YOU date a good, beautiful woman with chronically bad body odor, bad breath or chronic gas?

Mike, you wouldn’t bother with a woman that stunk, either. Did you ever stop to realize that MOST women are even more sensitive to cleanliness and hygiene issues in a date than MOST men are.

Marilyn Monroe reportedly stunk to high heaven. Reportedly, one of the Kennedy boys would sent his troopers over to see her before a meet to make certain she bathed before hand.

I once knew a guy who convinced one of his girl friends (of exceptional beauty) that "showering together before hand" was a form of foreplay. -grin-
 motown cowgirl
Msg: 22
Posted: 12/14/2010 5:05:24 PM
Marilyn Monroe reportedly stunk to high heaven.

it doesn't surprise me one bit. you can't imagine the places that thing has been. that woman was like a truck stop restroom in beautiful downtown burbank. and hey, you'd stink too if you had kennedys on ya.

I've heard Matthew McConaughey smells HORRID.

really? can you be more specific? what does he smell like, haggis and stale Guiness? just curious!

my personal story of unbearable aroma: i used to take violin lessons. man i was into it, too. but the instructor had the oddest smell..... i can't describe it, but it's permanently etched into my olfactory lobes. i can still smell it.... creepy. like a collection of slightly musty old clothing with overtones of dead skin, dirty hairbrush and toe cheese. to this day, i still gag every time i go into a shop that has used clothing. it's disgusting. anyway, we used to have to stand next to his desk while he tuned our violins, and i... just... could... not... take it. LOL.

it was my very first flunking out of a class, and i did not even care. an "E" was blessed relief.
:laugh:
 Natural-J
Msg: 23
Posted: 12/14/2010 5:12:58 PM

can you be more specific? what does he smell like, haggis and stale Guiness? just curious!

The most incredible BO, like from 10ft away.
 Paddy_o_Lantern
Msg: 24
Posted: 12/14/2010 7:03:36 PM
What Should a Man Smell Like? - Successful.
 hemanmachostudlovegod
Msg: 25
Posted: 12/14/2010 7:08:38 PM
Motorcycle oil and Marlboro cigarettes.

Women should smell like they want it. (That's a bonus answer for extra credit.)
Show ALL Forums  > Dating Experiences  > What Should a Man Smell Like ?