Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Over 45  > Motorcycles and Baby Boomers      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 AlisN1dlan
Msg: 1
Motorcycles and Baby BoomersPage 1 of 13    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13)
I don't men to generalize but does it seem to other women my age that "our men" are disproportionately addicted to Harley Davidsons? And it doesn't seem to be a hobby they picked up recently - most appear to have been into motorcycles for years. Admittedly, I don't look at the profiles of younger men, so maybe it's not related to age - maybe it has something to do with online dating . . . or POF in particular ;) I'm not condemning anyone for their interests: to each his own. It's just that I've spent too many years in too many Emergency Rooms with blood and brains on my shoes . . .
 AlisN1dlan
Msg: 2
Motorcycles and Baby Boomers
Posted: 1/1/2011 2:23:36 PM
As I said: to each his own. The "wind in my hair" thing - great, if that's the way you feel. My time was put in in trauma, ICU and ER's: where people did ride motorcycles.

I get contacted by a fair number of guys who DO ride, and I'm reluctant to make motorcycles - or anything else, for that matter - a "dealbreaker" in my profile, but it seems to be kind of an all-consuming way of life, so to speak . . . maybe the question should be "Can a non-rider be happy with a rider?"
 DrummingNut
Msg: 3
Posted: 1/1/2011 3:02:24 PM

maybe the question should be "Can a non-rider be happy with a rider?"
Speaking for me.. yes, this non-rider could be happy with a rider.
Thing is.. most riders don't want a non-rider!
ohhhh well
And I'm moving to a place where there are a LOT of riders.
*sigh*
I used to BE a rider. I understand the love of it.
I just can't be one any longer. Not my fault.
But it means I'll be overlooked now.
 Blue-Eyes-Shine
Msg: 4
view profile
History
Posted: 1/1/2011 3:06:37 PM
For me it would depend on if that was their only interest or hobby. I tend to enjoy a number of interests and hobbies and would like to share time doing all of them.
 DrummingNut
Msg: 5
Posted: 1/1/2011 3:37:37 PM
^^ all of them?
I'm happy to share the 'doing' of many things.. but also realize it's okay for there to be some things we'd possibly share in discussions but not in the actual 'doing'.
 Revilors
Msg: 6
Posted: 1/1/2011 4:06:04 PM

Can a non-rider be happy with a rider

I don't like golf or scrap booking. Do you think I could be happy with a golfer or scrapbooker? Sure...as long as I'm not expected to participate if I choose not to. I'll go ride...instead.

Hobbies and personal interests are not an oil and water issue as long as there are plenty of common interests and activities to do together.

MY things...YOUR things...and OUR things.

To each...their own...right?
 kari135
Msg: 7
view profile
History
Posted: 1/1/2011 4:08:11 PM

For me it would depend on if that was their only interest or hobby. I tend to enjoy a number of interests and hobbies and would like to share time doing all of them.

I also have a number of interests and hobbies - a lot more than I put on my profile - and while sharing some of them would be great, I'd also have to say I'd find sharing some of them would be a bit disconcerting.. I can't quite imagine a man getting turned on by designing and creating afghans or hooked rugs or quilts, or just about any kind of needlework. Not that I would object to it, it just would be ........ disconcerting.

Many of the things I do would be fun to share the doing of, but some are my ways of recharging my mental/emotional batteries. That is better done in solitude, for me anyway.
 Blue-Eyes-Shine
Msg: 8
view profile
History
Posted: 1/1/2011 4:27:50 PM
I guess I have always shared in an interest in some way that went beyond just discussing it.
I can't help it I'm a doer and helpful. There is always something that needs to be picked up at a store, etc etc. It's not the same as being attached to them 24/7 or always present at the moment.
 DrummingNut
Msg: 9
Posted: 1/1/2011 5:25:06 PM
Blue-eyes-shining, I didn't mean only sharing in discussions about hobbies/events that aren't a shared 'doing'.

I meant that as ONE way it can be shared without the actual 'doing'.
LOL, of course there are other ways!

To use the subject of motorcycle riding:
while I can't ride any more, I'd first off love to hear about anything he'd like to share..
but also I'd enjoy going to rallys, on the side lines! I'd enjoy helping out with any planning involved, or any other way I could help. If he wanted me to.
You're right.. there's always something that needs to be picked up at the store, etc etc.

What's really important, in my opinion, is this:
I'd support him in his enjoyment by understanding that it IS his enjoyment and not expecting him to be anyone other than who he is.
 Dave of Indiana
Msg: 10
view profile
History
Posted: 1/1/2011 5:45:31 PM
Interestingly enough many of the women i n my area (POF profiles) either own bikes or state that they ride them. Others addi n their profile that if the guy has a Harley it would be a real plus. I don't think it's only men.
 WalksOnWater2
Msg: 11
Posted: 1/1/2011 7:18:11 PM
When I was young (17) the motorcycle was my ONLY ttransportation for years. I grew up with them, and I always had one.
I now have a pretty one even though I can't ride it in the wintertime where I live.

For people who ride for years it is not just a hobby, it is an attachment that you don't grow out of. It is like the love for water for some, for boats, or for the mountains, it is the element in which you feel comfortable and belong within.

Gwendolyn2010
Msg: 12
Posted: 1/1/2011 9:25:39 PM
I am not so sure that many of these men had bikes in their youth: my ex got a Goldwing after I left him, and he had never expressed an interest in a bike!

I also see men (and women) who appear to be "weekend warriors"; the ones who wear clean dew rags and expensive leather--hmmm . . . trying to be bad boys! I saw one profile where a man in his 50s had two pictures of his 10/11 year old son on a scaled down version of a chopper! Oh, yeah, that's the way to attract women.

I have seen one too many people without a leg, arm, or who have scrambled brains due to motorcycles accidents to make me want to ride one.

I get emails from guys who say, "You sure would look good on the back of my bike with your hair blowing in the breeze." I KNOW what riding on a bike with free flowing hair does to the hair: I would be combing tangles out for a week (done it). I also know what riding a bike without a helmet would make me: stupid.

Funny thing is, when I tell them I am not interested, they call me "chicken" or say that I am in a rut and not willing to try new things. Not wanting to lose an appendage doesn't make me stagnant, it makes me realistic. My life is much too precious to put it in the hands of a man controlling (or trying to control) a motorcycle or in the hands of other drivers.

Oh, and the genuine old biker farts, 99% of them have a nasty beard. Yuck.

Soooooooooo you think riding horses is safe????????

Personally, I don't know anyone who has lost an arm or leg to a horse accident. Yup, I remember Christopher Reeve, but I personally know people who were maimed in bike wrecks.
 christ on a crutch
Msg: 13
view profile
History
Posted: 1/2/2011 12:32:58 AM
sorry, going 60 mph with your body exposed on an unforgivingly unstable conveyance while two-ton steel boxes pass by you an arm's length away is not comparable, safetywise, with skiing or mountain biking.

and as far as the 'ya gotta go sometime' argument, it misses the point. quality of life is as much an issue here as mortality. i crushed my wrist in a bike accident years ago (and broke a rib and ruptured my spleen and punctured a lung); now i can't play guitar, and i'm limited in what i can play on a piano, and my options will only decrease with the years. with no spleen, i'm likely to have immunity issues someday. that tradeoff wasn't worth the wind in my hair, or feeling like part of a certain social group, or some romantic lifestyle notions.

young men are rewarded for sacrificing their bodies, and testosterone makes us willing and eager. contact sports, risky hobbies, shouldering a rifle in a war zone. that can leave a guy with a lot of scar tissue by the time middle age rolls around. many learn to conserve their bodies, some don't. i think most women don't get that whole dynamic (though the op has a glimpse of it, and nice handle, by the way).

when i was dating, motorcycles were a dealbreaker. i don't ever want to get the call that the love of my life has been smeared across the interstate by some inattentive lane changer.
 Magic_Fish
Msg: 14
Posted: 1/2/2011 2:22:51 AM
When I was fishing here, bikers and golfers where a deal breaker for me. Not because I was not interested in those activities, but because they are seasonal activities in my neck-of-the-woods and would clash with mine (boating). I couldn't see myself spending half my summers golfing/riding and the other half boating. I wanted ALL boating. Sorry, that's just me ...

Luckily for me, a skipper fished me out of this pond and now our dilemma is power or sail (he has a 25' Baya (power), I have a 25' Bayfield (sail)). We've decided on a 5 moratorium on the boats - keeping both until we retire and then decide what we will end our cruising life on.

Boating comes with its own set of hazards/issues, but in my mind, I prefer the "devil I know" versus the "devil I don't know".

Case in point, the engine died on his boat this past summer. We ended up drifting towards a concrete pillar with a low steel door above us. As he was trying to restart the engine, my first thought was to get the boat hook and push us away from the pillar. We both knew that, as we drifted under the door, a wave could have raised the boat and done some serious damage (to the boat or to us).

The gods were smiling upon us that day and we floated away without a scratch. (Had to get towed back to shore, but that's another story.)

The next morning he asked me if I had nightmares about our experience. My answer was NO. Probably because I have experience and knowledge about water and boats.

Almost everything in life comes with its set of hazards and if I leave this blue-green marble in a boating accident with my hottie by my side, my friends and family will know that I died doing something I loved.

OP, you mention that their love for motorcycles does not seem like a hobby they have picked up recently. I'm guessing that riding is like boating, once it gets into your soul, it's there forever. If you can't shake it, embrace it.

So to answer your question: "Can a non-rider/boater be happy with a rider/boater?". In my case, NO but as you said to each his/her own. Patience little fishy, you'll meet your match one day.

MF
 Walts
Msg: 15
Posted: 1/2/2011 6:12:57 AM
Someone has already stated it,but here in my area it seems both genders within my age group has a bit of a passion for riding the bikes. I'm sure there are reasons for it, including our lack of snow most years.

Personally, I'm not a fan,but that's just me. I know the way that I am and the last thing you do is put me on a motorized vehicle that can hit speeds that some of these bikes can,without a seatbelt or even a little bit of metal wrapped around me. And with the "types" of other drivers in our area here, I sometimes question the state of mind of some bikers.

But in saying that, I know many people that think the "stuff" I do out on the rivers,our in the bush, and in the mountains is completely crazy. Sitting back and thinking of my ventures this past year I'm amazed that I only had two hospital visits and none to the morgue. At my age, I don't dare how to tell people how to get their kicks anymore. It's irrelevant in the big picture.
 IgorFrankensteen
Msg: 16
view profile
History
Posted: 1/2/2011 8:23:32 AM
Any perception someone has about a general character, or trend in behavior by another group of beings, is going to be heavily influenced by the VENUES they observe. If you see a surprising number of men in your age range injuring themselves on Harley's, it doesn't mean that a majority of men in your age range are "Harley-accident-prone," it instead suggests that YOUR LIFE is "Harley-accident-viewing-prone."
I don't look at men's profiles here (as I am a hetero-sexual male ISO a female companion), so I have no idea what the proportion of men who are, or claim to be Harley riders might be. But if there IS a high relative number of them, it would suggest that POF as a place to look for female companions is coming to the ATTENTION of more bikers than non-bikers. It might also be that YOU are attracted enough by the tiny pictures you see of men who DO ride, that you READ more biker profiles for some reason. That would speak more about YOU than it would about the men of POF or any other site in general.
If you work in a trauma unit, and see a lot of injured bikers, it suggests that injuries sustained on motorcycles are more serious than those sustained on other forms of conveyance; not that a majority of people are riding motorcycles.
Just suggesting another way to view your data, here!
 Revilors
Msg: 17
Posted: 1/2/2011 12:08:51 PM

sorry, going 60 mph with your body exposed on an unforgivingly unstable conveyance while two-ton steel boxes pass by you an arm's length away is not comparable, safetywise, with skiing or mountain biking.

You know...I used to ride often when I was younger...much younger. I quit when my son was born out of responsibility to my family. They are all 18 or over and a couple summers ago...I got the itch. Rode a bike a couple times...and as with the OP...have seen many motorcycle mishap aftermaths. When I rode a couple years ago...I did not take it to the limits that I did with my last bike...a Honda CBX 1100 with six cylinders.

The whole time I was riding...all I thought about was stupid azz drivers and mechanical failures. It was no fun at all. I've lost the taste and still feel responsible to be around for family...but will admit that I envy those my age...on a sunny summer day.

I don't criticize them for having that...but I do pass them and hock a luggie up through my sun roof.
 ForumFilly
Msg: 18
Posted: 1/2/2011 6:51:27 PM
I live close to Daytona Beach, Florida and there are more motorcycles, per capita, here than anywhere I've ever been, including living in Los Angeles. There is 'Bike Week' in February and 'Biketoberfest' in October. And yes, many have ridden them throughout their adult lives. Others rode them when they were young and then gave up their bike when they married and settled down. Now that they are unencumbered and free from being nagged at if they want to take off on a day long ride, they are reclaiming their passion. Good for them. If it makes them feel younger, freer, more joyful, then good for them.

Too often we give up things we love to do when we 'settle down' and have a family. Could that be part of what causes resentments in relationships... being harassed by our spouses over things they feel are no longer appropriate? Something to consider.
 Gwendolyn2010
Msg: 19
Posted: 1/2/2011 6:56:42 PM
Welsh474, your reasoning is flawed with fallacious conclusions.

How about car accident? Everybody knows someone who has been in a car accident -[. . .] Or ski or mountain bike or have some sort of injury from some sport. Work place injuries....we could go on and on.

I didn't have a lot of time to research this, but I found:

Motorcycles have a higher fatality rate per unit of distance travelled when compared with automobiles. According to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA), in 2006, 18.06 cars out of 100,000 ended up in fatal crashes. The rate for motorcycles is 55.82 per 100,000.[1] In 2004, figures from the UK Department for Transport indicated that motorcycles have 16 times the rate of serious injuries per 100 million vehicle kilometers compared to cars, and double the rate of bicycles.

A national study by the Australian Transport Safety Bureau (ATS) found that:

* Motorcycle rider death rates increased among all rider age groups between 1998 and 2000
* Motorcycle rider deaths were nearly 30 times more than drivers of other vehicles
* Motorcycle riders aged below 40 are 36 times more likely to be killed than other vehicle operators of the same age.
* Motorcycle riders aged 40 years and over are around 20 times more likely to be killed than other drivers of that same age
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Motorcycle_safety

Of course there are car accidents, but you are more likely to live through one than you are to live through a motorcycle accident.

The comparisons of people dying while skiing or in work accidents doesn't hold up! On ski deaths:

According to the National Ski Areas Association, 25 skiers and 13 snowboarders died during the 2009-10 season out of 59.8 million skier/snowboarder days.

In comparing ski deaths to other accidents:
900 Americans died bicycle riding, 3,600 drowned either swimming, playing in the water or falling in, and 39,000 died in motor vehicle crashes in 2008, while 46 died from lightning in 2007, according to the National Safety Council.

http://www.nashuatelegraph.com/newsstatenewengland/902271-227/ski-injuries-fall-but-fatalities-hold-steady.html

And even in skiing, if more people would take safety precautions, i.e. wearing a helmet, fatalities would lessen even more.

Work accidents:
There are also around 350 deaths every year due to accidents at work, 1,000 deaths in work-related accidents on the road

Taking into account the number of people who work, these deaths are lamentable, but it is still safer to work than to ride a motorcycle.

Personally, I do not invite ill health or accidents! Both my father and brother-in-law died from lung cancer, so I don't smoke and I do not breathe in second-hand smoke. I used to be obese, so I lost weight and I eat a healthy diet, including antioxidants; by your reasoning, I should have continued to eat chocolate cheesecake and french fries because I am going to die someday, anyway.

I realize that despite my precautions, I could die tomorrow by an attack from feral cats; I also know that being in a car and other actions are CALCULATED risks, but I love life and will not take unnecessary risks to end my life or maim myself.

And if you think that riders are all out there to be "bad boys" you have your head up your azz.

I truly do not understand why people feel the need to sink to personal insults. I suppose it makes them feel better. If so, I will gladly be your "whipping girl" if is boosts your ego or need to denigrate.
 TryAgan
Msg: 20
view profile
History
Posted: 1/2/2011 8:17:14 PM
You forgot to mention that 88 people died while engaging in sexual intercourse.
 browneyesboo
Msg: 21
Posted: 1/3/2011 7:53:17 AM
I've had my motorcycle license longer than my car license.
I've had several bikes, but none recently although I wouldn't mind
having another one day. I love riding.

I'll be honest and say I do laugh at the guys my age perched atop a bike
with their bad boy leathers, bandana and long (thin/baldish) grey hair
pony tail and unkept wild and crazy beard. Not something I find attractive
at all, no matter how hot I think the bike is.

People take risks all the time doing things they enjoy. As long as they don't
try to take people with them, not sure what the problem is. I enjoy riding,
so I'll do it and make every attempt not to leave my brains or guts on someone's
shoes.

c_deacon
Msg: 22
view profile
History
Posted: 1/3/2011 12:44:42 PM
Some of us just like to ride and have most of our lives.

One could walk down the street and be killed, or drive that car for miles and mile and then "bang".... There are no totally safe forms of transportation, and for me, I would rather enjoy the experience and not just the destination.

cd......
 Molly Maude
Msg: 23
view profile
History
Posted: 1/4/2011 1:32:13 AM
I've dated men with motorcycles ... but ... I'd have to be classified as one of the non-riders now ... at one point, I was on the back of a motorcycle going round a big, loopy curve with my right knee skimming above, almost touching the pavement about 11:30 p.m. one dark night ... and ... while it was exciting and just great fun ... suddenly, the vision of my daughter and young son came to me clearly ... and I knew that, if I were to die with the maniac on the bike ... they'd be alone ...

haven't ridden a motorcycle since ...

two of my sons, on the other hand, LOVE motorcycles ... the older one is paralyzed from T-2/T-3 ... (cancer, not the motorcycle) ... he got an older Harley with a side car, restored both ... modified it with hand controls in the side car ... at this point, he rolls his chair INTO the side car and controls the motorcycle from the side car ...

I suggested he get a giant stuffed toy bunny (think Harvey) and fasten the bunny onto the motorcycle ... he said he probably causes too many accidents as it is with the empty Harley ...

to each his own ...
 TedJMill
Msg: 24
view profile
History
Posted: 1/4/2011 10:15:39 AM
I'm a 52-year-old male, with definitely no interest in a motorcycle; I didn't even get past training wheels on a bicycle. My idea of freedom is a means of transportation where I can read a book.
 URXO2
Msg: 25
view profile
History
Posted: 1/4/2011 1:21:54 PM
OP wrote:

I'm not condemning anyone for their interests: to each his own. It's just that I've spent too many years in too many Emergency Rooms with blood and brains on my shoes . .

OP, The learning curve on a motorcycle can be short and unforgiving statistics don't show the real picture. Those of us who grew up in the sixties had many motorcycles to learn on, countless bikes in the lower cc/hp range..today those small bikes are all but gone replaced by 250cc bikes with more horsepower than most of the largest bikes of the sixties and seventies..Not that you can't learn on these bikes but it's allot of power and speed for the novice..and most folks our age move right into a bigger bike with more weight and power, accidents waiting to happen, imo..
Are they dangerous?? no, but the inexperience rider is, you have to ride defensibly, stay proactive. I don't consider myself a biker, you'll never catch me with a rag tied to my head or tattooed trying to imitate the Hollywood biker image, but I am an enthusiast, mostly vintage..

OP, I see you're into horses, I can control a motorcycle much better than I can a spooked 1000lb animal. Went on a trail ride with some friends, Stable Horses (rental) four of us riding some rather steep trail, I was on the fourth horse the lead horse lost it's footing fell spooked the other three, mine bucked did a 180 and headed down the trail at a full gallop, felt like a jockey at the Derby, but that horse was spooked..Dangerous you bet....a horse took out superman what chance do I have...
give me a motorcycle any day....
Show ALL Forums  > Over 45  > Motorcycles and Baby Boomers