Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Profile Reviews  > Will you rate my profile please?      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 Tatsinda
Msg: 1
view profile
History
Will you rate my profile please?Page 1 of 1    
I would like to have my profile rated, as I am new to dating, being single, the internet, etc. And if you have any idea....do you know why guys always ask me how long I was married for? NOT how long I'm divorced.... they don't care about that. They want to know how long I was married for, whether it ended last week or 20 years ago is irrelevant to them. I already know it's NOT just making conversation, as I was NEVER asked this question while I was actually married.
I appreciate your input. I know I'm older and the pictures included are as good as I'm gonna look! I don't want to be a phony.
Thank you!
Infinity
 duedguy
Msg: 2
Will you rate my profile please?
Posted: 1/2/2011 10:53:07 PM
I would take out some of the stuff you wrote in the about me section that you repeated. You mention several times that you are recently divorced and several times that you live alone. I also like the second picture of you in the red sweater that shows your face a little closer up and would make that your profile picture.
 CMonster
Msg: 3
Posted: 1/2/2011 11:15:04 PM
I say that you should do a bit more than removing the repeated information in your profile. I think you should write about the diverse photos you've posted. They seem to be that of a very interesting woman. We'd be more intriguing about the details of the woman in the picture. The woman who's angry about guys focusing about the divorce that she mentions several times doesn't sound very interesting.
 StarshipNarrator
Msg: 4
view profile
History
Posted: 1/3/2011 2:05:21 AM
Your profile gets 4 golden stars out of 10 from me.

There's a few reasons I say that. You don't have a really good close up of your face. There's one that's decent but none of them show your facial features very strongly.

The Interests bar is overwhelming the actual "About Me". I personally find myself skipping over that Interest bar all the time.

Based on the way you described your man I just find it so contradicting compared to the introduction. You say you're very open-minded but it sounds like you're looking for your male replica with the context you've given. In addition to that, I just generally disagree with preferring to be with someone who is more like you than they are different than you. So I had to deduct those golden stars for that.

If you'd like to write/IM me, please be a dear and decribe your post-marital status . This is my only question!

Meaning, are all his bolts tightened in his head or is his divorce finalized? Both? Anyways, this is the most ludicrous requirement I've heard anyone ever ask for in potential messages. Hey, if that's what you want them to explain then go ahead. I still think it's ludicrous though.

The e-mail restrictions also got your golden stars knocked off. I see the point in building moats around your profile but I still disagree with it. You just never really know until you read about someone and something they say blows you away.

The main reason behind the 4 out of 10 golden stars is just that there's not much about you outside of "open-minded". The substance is lacking basically. There's more about what he needs to be rather than what you've put up from your introspection. So, I dislike that as well.
 IgorFrankensteen
Msg: 5
view profile
History
Posted: 6/17/2014 4:34:11 AM
I decided not to try to give anyone advice on their profiles, since all I know is whether I find them attractive or not (I'm the opposite of a dating expert).

But I can suggest why so many guys ask you how long you were married. Mostly, it's the first question that comes into mind when someone DOES say that they used to be married. AS in other subject areas, there are a small group of common quantifying questions that everyone gets asked, or hears others ask. If you'd said instead that you were in the Marines, they'd ask how long you WERE in the Corps first, then how long ago you left and why. Thus, I would expect that MOSTLY it's just the first "making conversation" thing that occurs to them to ask.

From the point of view of trying to figure out compatibility and potential for long term relationship, how long your marriage lasted and who decided to end it and why would all be pertinent things to ask. Since it would seem extremely intrusive to ask shortly after meeting, for personal details about why your marriage failed, they are left with "how long did it last?" and then HOPE that you will fill in the answer that they REALLY want to know(but which they'd have to know you for a long time to have the right to ask), which is why it's over. Why it's over, tells a prospective mate what your primary concerns are, which would make them appear to you to be as bad as your ex, or not.
 RedrockJen
Msg: 6
Posted: 6/17/2014 8:28:10 AM
Hi.

They are asking you how long you were married for two reasons:

First: You don't have children. Makes them think your marriage did not last long enough to have them. Or that you are, or he was, infertile. (Of course you may have just not wanted them.)

Second--and more importantly: Divorced is mentioned three times in your profile. If you don't want him asking about marriage and divorce then don't make him think it is a subject you are interested in talking about.

This has got to go no matter what: "Should you write me, please be a dear and tell me when you were divorced, etc., and list all the people living with you. :-) And try not to ask stupid questions. :-)"

OK, mom. Yikes.
 VirtuousDonkey
Msg: 7
view profile
History
Posted: 6/17/2014 10:01:11 AM
I think your pics are great (the pinball one looks a bit corny though).

I think your interest are fine.

About Me has a couple minor redundancies. I figure they're asking how long you were married because it seems that you are recently single and are looking for the same. Probably just making conversation.

Overall, you seem like a confident woman who knows exactly what she wants. I would rate your profile 8.5 out of 10
 Eric_Summit
Msg: 8
Posted: 6/17/2014 9:07:09 PM

Posted by Tatsinda:
"Should you write me, please be a dear and tell me when you were divorced, etc., and list all the people living with you. :-)

My suggestion for your profile is the sentence above should be deleted.
The vast majority of people will be unwilling to mention personal details in the first message.
Rather than a list of requirements, it is easier to simply start with a pleasant conversational exchange. Good luck.
 RedrockJen
Msg: 9
Posted: 6/17/2014 9:26:45 PM
I have no idea why Igor bumped this review.
She recently posted an unrelated question in another thread.

The OP is not asking for input on her profile.

Oh. Right. Haha.
 IgorFrankensteen
Msg: 10
view profile
History
Posted: 6/17/2014 11:49:29 PM
campfires:
The OP is not asking for input on her profile.

Thread title:

?
 Mark_It_Up
Msg: 11
Posted: 6/18/2014 2:10:33 AM
It's a 3 year old thread.
Seems unlikely she's still watching for replies here.
 dichoTommy
Msg: 12
view profile
History
Posted: 6/18/2014 6:54:28 AM
Consider this a new practice review thread then?

/I'm back - needed to focus elsewhere for a bit.
//update your photos - I'm sure they're all 3 years old now :P
 Ainen
Msg: 13
Posted: 6/18/2014 9:58:50 AM
As this thread just got new posts so I'm not bumping down any people who actually want/need help:

Good of her to have an entire paragraph with specifics about what she wants in a man. Makes it clear that single (never married) men need not contact her. Many people would save mucho time if more profiles were specific like this.

Her profile is evidence this site was "better in the good old days".

Perhaps she can spend her Saturday nights taking new photos.
Show ALL Forums  > Profile Reviews  > Will you rate my profile please?