Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Health Wellness  > Study Linking Vaccine To Autism Found Was Fraud      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 arwen52
Msg: 1
view profile
History
Study Linking Vaccine To Autism Found Was FraudPage 1 of 5    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5)
This will probably get much less attention than the original study. Unfortunately, for many people, the facts are irrelevant, their mind is already made up.

From the New York Times:

Study Linking Vaccine to Autism Was Fraud, Journal Reports

http://www.nytimes.com/aponline/2011/01/05/health/AP-EU-MED-Autism-Fraud.html?_r=1&src=me&ref=homepage

By THE ASSOCIATED PRESS
Published: January 5, 2011

Filed at 12:15 a.m. EST on January 06, 2011

LONDON (AP) — The first study to link a childhood vaccine to autism was based on doctored information about the children involved, according to a new report on the widely discredited research.

The conclusions of the 1998 paper by Andrew Wakefield and colleagues was renounced by 10 of its 13 authors and later retracted by the medical journal Lancet, where it was published. Still, the suggestion the MMR shot was connected to autism spooked parents worldwide and immunization rates for measles, mumps and rubella have never fully recovered.

A new examination found, by comparing the reported diagnoses in the paper to hospital records, that Wakefield and colleagues altered facts about patients in their study.

The analysis, by British journalist Brian Deer, found that despite the claim in Wakefield's paper that the 12 children studied were normal until they had the MMR shot, five had previously documented developmental problems. Deer also found that all the cases were somehow misrepresented when he compared data from medical records and the children's parents.

Wakefield could not be reached for comment despite repeated calls and requests to the publisher of his recent book, which claims there is a connection between vaccines and autism that has been ignored by the medical establishment. Wakefield now lives in the U.S. where he enjoys a vocal following including celebrity supporters like Jenny McCarthy.

Deer's article was paid for by the Sunday Times of London and Britain's Channel 4 television network. It was published online Thursday in the medical journal, BMJ.

In an accompanying editorial, BMJ editor Fiona Godlee and colleagues called Wakefield's study "an elaborate fraud." They said Wakefield's work in other journals should be examined to see if it should be retracted.

Last May, Wakefield was stripped of his right to practice medicine in Britain. Many other published studies have shown no connection between the MMR vaccination and autism.

But measles has surged since Wakefield's paper was published and there are sporadic outbreaks in Europe and the U.S. In 2008, measles was deemed endemic in England and Wales.
 motown cowgirl
Msg: 2
Study Linking Vaccine To Autism Found Was Fraud
Posted: 1/7/2011 4:27:00 AM
gee that's too bad. i hate it when people fake stuff. now when do we get to read the public airing about how the safety studies associated with the approval of aspartame were also a fraud? i know, i know. it doesn't matter because people's minds are already made up.
 arwen52
Msg: 3
view profile
History
Posted: 1/7/2011 6:30:02 AM
Citations, please?
 Outdoor2
Msg: 4
view profile
History
Posted: 1/7/2011 10:45:22 PM
I don't mean to hijack the thread, but you did ask for a citation.
"Recently, Dr. Ralph
Walton compiled a list of all of the controlled human and animals
studies looking for the effects of aspartame (Walton 1996). Out of
90 independently-funded studies, 83 of them found one or more
problems caused by aspartame. But out of the 74 studies funded by
the aspartame industry (e.g., Monsanto, G.D. Searle, ILSI, etc.),
every single one of them claimed that no problems were found. It
is important to note that some of those few "indenpendently-funded"
studies that found no effects were funded by organizations that have
recently shown have been or were being run by persons with very close
ties to the aspartame industry.

Only the most gullible individual would believe that it is a
coincidence that all industry studies found no effects and almost all
independent studies found adverse effects. This is reminiscent of
the "safety" seen cigarette "research" during the 1950s."

You can also go here to see how Monsanto, et al, "cooked the scientific books"

http://www.holisticmed.com/aspartame/abuse/
Here too.
http://www.rense.com/general63/asp.htm
 arwen52
Msg: 5
view profile
History
Posted: 1/8/2011 7:22:21 AM
Thanks. This thread *is* about autism and vaccines. However, if one is to make statements like that, I like to see them backed up with evidence.

One *does* have to consider the source and the sources you cite are as unimpressive to me as Monsanto. The Rense.com article only cites one study and that was published in 1987. The holisticmed site is nothing but a diatribe about Monsanto and how they cook their books. I'm not defending Monsanto, but I want to see evidence in support of the statement, not diatribes.

My personal thoughts on artificial sweenters *and* Monsanto are that I don't care for either of them. But if one is going to make claims, back them up with credible evidence, not diatribes.

Here's a paper that confirms what I've suspected for a long time. A long time ago, there was a study that showed that drinking diet soda did not help people lose weight. This has been recently confirmed again:

Gain weight by "going diet?" Artificial sweeteners and the neurobiology of sugar cravings: Neuroscience 2010.
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/20589192

But back to the original thread: This wasn't about aspartame or Monsanto. It was about the alleged connection between autism and vaccines. It has been shown that the person primarily responsible for that allegation used fraudulent data. Will this change anyone's mind? Does anyone care? Or is it another case of "don't confuse me with the facts, my mind is made up"?
 CrazyCanuckz
Msg: 6
Posted: 1/10/2011 12:53:00 PM
Come on, there's no proof the data was falsified. When the money the doctor received would be peanuts compared what other researched are paid. When one gets vaccine shot they are never told about the risk. You're telling a new born to age of 2 gets about 18 vaccines shots won't get sick on some level? An infant is just started to develop immune system. That many shots is even too much for a grow up let alone an infant. If you really follow the money then you will see the truth. Look at the swine flu scare last year. Numbers were falsified big time.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XILy1uJNoUE&feature=related
 RenaiMan
Msg: 7
view profile
History
Posted: 1/11/2011 2:47:01 AM

for many people, the facts are irrelevant, their mind is already made up.

Wow. What you are saying about people, the ones who are concerned about their own childrens lives, the ones who are witnessing the insane drugging of a society, people who take the time to dig much deeper than mainstream newsfluff, should totally disregard ALL of the truth they discovered along the way because of this one mainstream (fluff) article.

Statistical analysis of 200 years showing vaccines never helped anything:

http://childhealthsafety.wordpress.com/graphs/

Yeah, that's only one article. Of course it could be tainted like most are nowadays. But it's only one out of many on that subject written over decades.

Here's also one of the many recent articles about miscarriages and stillborns from the h1n1 vaccine in '09. Some say the figure could be around 3600 since doctors are going out of their way to deny the vaccine had anything to do with it. Read some of the comments at the bottom from women who usually miscarried within 2 days of receiving their shot.

http://hubpages.com/hub/Breaking-News-Swine-Flu-H1N1-Vaccine-Causing-Mis-Carriages

Of course that article is one of probably hundreds that include hinting at, or even evidence of a cover-up from pharmaceutical companies.

And again, I'm offering just one more about Baxter shipping vaccines to 18 countries that contained "one of the most deadly biological weapons on earth with a 60% kill rate". They basically said, "Whoops" and it was swept under the rug. No discipline, no fines, no change of practices, and they could have killed most of the world's population if their vaccine wasn't tested for safety at the last moment.

http://preventdisease.com/news/09/031109_baxter.shtml

The links I brought here don't even add up to one drop in the ocean of information out there. One mainstream news article didn't do a whole lot of damage to the years of knowledge I've gained before it came along.

So I can take more time and go back over all the information I've brought here with more and more links.....

But I'm afraid "the facts are irrelevant, their mind is already made up."
 satx78218
Msg: 8
view profile
History
Posted: 1/11/2011 11:12:00 AM
Here's another take on the "fraud"

From the DouglassReport this week:

Immunization researcher hit with fraud allegations

Start pounding those stakes into the ground and gather up some firewood -- we've got a witch to burn.

Today's witch: Dr. Andrew Wakefield, now accused of fabricating the research in his landmark 1998 study that linked vaccinations to autism.

And if he really did fake his work, then burn, baby, burn.

But before you set that fire, ask yourself why so many people are so hellbent on destroying this man -- and what they're so afraid of.

After all, Dr. Wakefield never told anyone not to vaccinate a child. He's not even against vaccinations.

All he did was suggest that the ludicrous combo vaccinations that overwhelm young immune systems be split up into a series of individual shots -- or at least allow parents the option to choose between the two.

That doesn't sound very radical to me -- but you should have seen Anderson Cooper go after Dr. Wakefield on his CNN show the other night. You would've thought he found a Nazi war criminal instead of a relatively minor threat to one of the world's biggest, most powerful and most crooked industries.

If you want some witches, I've got a much better place for you to bring your torches: to the offices of drug company bosses and their public health lackeys who push needless vaccine after needless vaccine on children around the world.

I don't know if these things really cause autism, but it doesn't matter -- because I do know this: Many of these shots are dangerous, unnecessary and ineffective.

You heard me right. Despite the mainstream's mantra that "vaccines have saved millions of lives," let's take the scientific point of view on this: Prove it.

That's how science works, right?

But you can't prove it, because it's just not true -- the very diseases that launched the vaccination movement in the early 20th century were already on the decline before a single arm was ever poked!

These vaccines didn't end disease -- better living conditions, improved sanitation and the greater overall health of advancing society did that.

But while scientists can't prove that vaccines have worked, I can prove they've harmed millions -- and exposed millions more to serious and unacceptable risk while undermining our natural immunity.

In one case, 11 million British kids were given polio shots contaminated with mad cow disease. In a separate case of contaminated polio vaccinations, millions of Americans were "accidentally" injected with a virus known to cause brain tumors.

You want more? I've got plenty. Remember the Lyme disease vaccine? If you don't, that's because it was quickly pulled off the market after being linked to a severe and crippling form of arthritis.

Then there's that dangerous HPV vaccine I've been warning you about, still on the market despite dozens of deaths and thousands of adverse events among little girls across the country.

And don't even get me started on flu shots... or the millions sickened or hurt through the known and expected side effects of "perfectly good" vaccines.

You want to burn a witch, then c'mon baby light that fire -- just make sure you burn the right one.

==========

Another report this week says there a huge increase the number of people allergic to aluminum, which is used in vaccines.

Some vaccines obviously work very well and have had tremendous success in reducing disease. But as with anything from BigPharma and its police force the FDA/CDC, treat with maximum skepticism.
 arwen52
Msg: 9
view profile
History
Posted: 1/11/2011 10:43:49 PM
Sorry, but Wakefield lied. And he knew that he lied. He falsified the medical histories of the subjects of his study. This was not a case of sloppy research or an erroneous conclusion based on faulty analysis. He falsified data. Hi co-authors all withdrew their names from his study a long time ago.

His research was *the* most cited piece of research by the anti-vaccination people. The incidence of measles has increased largely due to parents' concern fueled by his paper.

Over the weekend, I heard a report on NPR that included an interview with one of the parents of one of the kids in Wakefield's study, detailing the questions he asked and the discrepancy between what the parents told him and what his study reported. Five out of twelve children in the study had been diagnosed with developmental disabilities *before* they were vaccinated and Wakefield knew that, yet misrepresented that fact. Wakefield's study was funded by lawyers who planned on using the data to sue companies that produced vaccines. No one has been able to reproduce his findings, including Wakefield himself.

And you guys want to defend him? A man who would take money from greedy lawyers and falsify data for them? Wow.
 satx78218
Msg: 10
view profile
History
Posted: 1/13/2011 4:00:20 AM
RIF:

"if he really did fake his work, then burn, baby, burn"

No defense there. But that's not the point Douglass is making.

BigPharma's counter-attack, with governments' help, was to re-establish all vaccines' credibility, which in many cases is not justified, and is sometimes an outright lie.

The best tactic with BigPharma is to assume they're guilty until proven innocent.
 satx78218
Msg: 11
view profile
History
Posted: 1/13/2011 8:15:31 AM
his handful of cases is too small, and your single case proves less.

Some vaccines work, other vaccines don't work, and some people are sickened, maimed or killed by vaccines.
 jackfouru
Msg: 12
Posted: 1/14/2011 11:20:05 AM
Is it really all that surprising that a number of our doctors and scientists are sociopaths and lie for their own financial betterment?. There are people in medicine, like bankers on Wallstreet, who are simply soulless narcissists, who will say or do anything if for their financial betterment. We live in a society being destroyed within from corporations and people who care nothing for society at large , but only for their own bank accounts. So there will always be fraud in medicine, by bankers, by scientists, by scammers of all sorts. That is the world we live in and sooner or later it will destroy itself and start anew.
 CrazyCanuckz
Msg: 13
Posted: 1/15/2011 10:30:05 AM

He made NO CLAIMS. And he has published 32 OTHER papers on the subject, and none has been retracted or spoken about.

Dr. Wakefield’s research was never questioned by the GMC. The ruling focused on what was called “unethical behavior” – drawing blood at a children’s party, even though the parent’s who were present had given their fully informed consent. In fact, in an open letter to the Lancet, the parents of the 12 children in the study rebuke the GMC, politely calling them liars.

Even though the new reporter, Brian Deer claims that he has spoken to the family- the family has not come out and said this, and just today Dr. Wakefield denies that he EVER spoke to any of them. And the fact that his ‘key sources’ and ‘key reference documents & records’ are confidential, not to mention that some of the key interviewees cited by him deny completely ever having been interviewed by him doesn’t build my confidence in his investigative journalistic skills.

Brian Deer denies financial involvement, but should we really believe that? I mean, Medico Legal Investigations, a company that is completely funded by the Pharmaceutical Industry paid for his investigation. His employer is London’s Sunday Times which is owned by Rupert Murdoch & published by Rupert’s son James Murdoch, who also sits on Merck’s Board of Directors! And it’s been said that it took him 7 years of study to come to his conclusions, but why does it take seven years to study a FIVE page report that included TWELVE children? Doesn’t seem like 7 years worth of work to me.

source:

http://organiclifelove.com/2011/01/07/vaccines-dr-wakefield/
 CrazyCanuckz
Msg: 14
Posted: 1/15/2011 10:35:33 AM
Anyone interested the truth about vaccines, Dr. Blaylock exposes the truth with data from peer reviews medical journals. This is why nobody can or have discredited this man.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XILy1uJNoUE
 CrazyCanuckz
Msg: 15
Posted: 1/15/2011 12:11:42 PM
That's your come back? You should learn how to debate with facts not with silliness.
But then you can't disclaim factual truths, can you?
 arwen52
Msg: 16
view profile
History
Posted: 1/15/2011 2:12:47 PM

Dr. Wakefield’s research was never questioned by the GMC. The ruling focused on what was called “unethical behavior” – drawing blood at a children’s party, even though the parent’s who were present had given their fully informed consent. In fact, in an open letter to the Lancet, the parents of the 12 children in the study rebuke the GMC, politely calling them liars.

No, Wakefield has been charged with falsifying data.

His co-authors withdrew their names from the paper several years ago because of it.

Can you please show the letter from the parents? Because I heard a recent interview with one of them and they did not rebuke the study and, in fact, corroborated that Wakefield was falsifying data.

As for vaccines maiming and killing millions - I'd like to see data *from a reliable source* on that. You cannot include Wakefield's data. Am I going to insist that no one has ever been harmed by a vaccine? No medication is harmless to all people at all time. But measles have killed and harmed many more people than the vaccine has. So has polio. So has smallpox, which has been eradicated.

My friend's daughter went to India last year and refused to be vaccinated. She contracted typhoid fever and almost died. It was a long, slow recovery.

But this is specifically about vaccines and autism. So, I repeat, the primary source for the assertion that there may be a link between MMR vaccines and autism has been shown to be a fraud. It should put an end to that debate unless someone comes up with some real, verifiable data, but clearly some people's minds are so fixed that they will not accept that information.

This is why I've enjoyed the company of scientists so much. They engage in critical thinking. They are more committed to facts than they are to a particular opinion or interpretation of facts. When new evidence contradicts current ways of thinking, they examine it with an open mind. Opinions, theories, and interpretations must conform to known facts, not the other way around.

Wakefield was guilty of falsifying data, presumably to support a particular idea which couldn't be supported with facts. Others tried to reproduce his study and failed. HE was unable to reproduce his own study. It turned out there was a good reason for that. He lied.

Sometimes people do a study and get particular results. In the scientific community, your study is presented to others and they examine it and looks for possible flaws. Any one study in and of itself does not create indisputable evidence. Others test it. If they come up with similar results, that gives more weight to it. If they do not, then the study is questioned. Any single study, especially with such a small sample (only 12 patients), may be a fluke or there may be factors and variables not accounted for.

Wakefield's study was never successfully reproduced by anyone else, not even himself when he tried to repeat it. That alone would question the results. But when it came out that he falsified data - that totally and completely discredits his study and he deserves to be censured.

Still, people who are attached to the idea will not care that he lied and will defend him. I don't get it but there it is. This has nothing to do with Monsanto. This has nothing to do with any other study. It has to do with that the single most pointed to source asserting that the MMR vaccines has turned out to be a fraud. Will this change people's minds about that particular position? Will people who so adamantly insisted this to be the case now admit this has shown to be false and retract their statements on that particular subject? Will the facts change anyone's mind? Apparently not.
 CrazyCanuckz
Msg: 17
Posted: 1/15/2011 4:59:50 PM

Because I heard a recent interview with one of them and they did not rebuke the study and, in fact, corroborated that Wakefield was falsifying data.

The neurodegenerative diseases are just exploding. Things that used to be rare, we're seeing all the time now. It's just frightening. And when you look through the neurosciences literature, they have no explanation. They don't know why it's increasing so rapidly, but it's because we have such a large combination of toxins. For instance, we know that cellular neurodegenerative diseases are connected to mercury, aluminum, pesticides and herbicides, and the way they produce brain damage is through an excitotoxic mechanism.

So, we are all exposed to those toxins, and then when you add MSG and excitotoxins to the food, you tremendously accelerate this toxicity. That's why we're seeing this explosion in neurodegenerative diseases; Alzheimer's and autism and ADD and Parkinson's -- all these things are increasing so enormously because we are exposed to carcinogenic toxicity from all these different things and this huge exposure to excitotoxins, which is the central mechanism.

This is what no one's been able to claim. You look at one person's report and they'll say, "Alzheimer's is related to mercury exposure," and then another one says, "No, it's related to pesticides," and yet another one says it something else, but they're all operating through the same mechanism. All of these things operate by increasing brain immune activity, and that activates excitotoxicity. So that's why all of them seem to be related, because they're all doing the same thing to the brain.

http://www.naturalnews.com/020550.html
Btw vaccines contain MSG!
Credible source Dr Blaylock.

He is a former clinical assistant professor of neurosurgery at the University of Mississippi Medical Center and is currently a visiting professor in the biology department at Belhaven College...

Blaylock is the author or co-author of two case reports in the Journal of Neurosurgery,[31][32] and a 32-page report entitled Multiple Sclerosis (Pritchett & Hull, 1988).
He has written for, and been on the editorial board of the journal of the politically conservative non-profit organization Association of American Physicians and Surgeons.[33] This journal was entitled Medical Sentinel until 2003, when it became the Journal of American Physicians and Surgeons

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Russell_Blaylock
 karma1160
Msg: 18
Posted: 1/15/2011 5:21:34 PM
1. if a child gets his vaccines on time there should be no need to "Catch UP" and give six shots at a time.
When vaccines drop off old diseases come back, for an example pertussis.
Parents are given literature and warned of the dangers of vaccines, some parents are just more interested in the info than others.
I do not have the percentages, but I have given lots of vaccines, I have only seen a couple of mild problems.
 CrazyCanuckz
Msg: 19
Posted: 1/15/2011 5:21:49 PM

The analysis, by British journalist Brian Deer, found that despite the claim in Wakefield's paper that the 12 children studied were normal until they had the MMR shot, five had previously documented developmental problems. Deer also found that all the cases were somehow misrepresented when he compared data from medical records and the children's parents.

I really like to see proof on this. What's laughable is that it's a journalist claims this. A journalist can just easily lie to get a popular story. Without any credible proof this is BS.

I've seen journalist lie their butts off, don't believe look at Fox News. :P
 peppermint petunias
Msg: 20
Posted: 1/20/2011 3:44:54 PM

ask yourself why so many people are so hellbent on destroying this man -- and what they're so afraid of.

^^^^^^^^^^^^

Also who PAID for these NEW studies to "disprove" him?

$$$$$
 CrazyCanuckz
Msg: 21
Family awarded million+ for their child >>>>
Posted: 1/20/2011 3:55:42 PM

The only blame I put on the NHS at the time, when in the high of the controversy my daughter was due to receive the vaccine, was that, in order to calm people, nurses were instructed to say that, at the most, the vaccine would cause children a slight fever and a rash.

Again out right lie.

Forty children are suspected to have died as a result of receiving routine vaccines in the past seven years.

Childhood vaccinations are also suspected of having left two young children with brain injuries and caused more than 1,500 other neurological reactions, including 11 cases of inflammation of the brain, 13 cases of epilepsy and a coma.

The data, disclosed by the Medicines and Healthcare products Regulatory Authority (MHRA) following a request by The Sunday Times under the Freedom of Information Act, shows that, since 2003, there have been more than 2,100 serious adverse reactions to childhood vaccines, some of which were life-threatening.

Fifteen injections are given routinely to young children as part of the government’s vaccination programme. They offer protection against diseases such as polio, diphtheria, mumps and measles.

The MHRA says the deaths and neurological reactions should be seen in the context of the 90m doses of childhood vaccines which have been given since 2003.

Details of the suspected deaths and neurological problems have been released just two months after a legal ruling forced the government to accept that its vaccination programme had left a baby severely brain damaged.

Thirteen years after first refusing to acknowledge that Robert Fletcher, now 18, had been left severely brain damaged by the MMR vaccine for measles, mumps and rubella, the government was forced to pay him compensation.

http://www.whale.to/vaccine/fortydeaths.html
 CrazyCanuckz
Msg: 22
Posted: 1/20/2011 3:59:48 PM

^^^^^^^^^^^^

$$$$${

Exactly. We all know doctors were paid to prescribe medication to their patents.

Most studies are paid by the drug companies. On rare cases does a university do their own research without funding from drug companies.
 arwen52
Msg: 23
view profile
History
Posted: 1/20/2011 11:30:33 PM

Who paid for *Wakefield's* study? Lawyers who wanted to sue companies who produced vaccines, that's who. Are you paying attention to this?

"Studies" didn't disprove him. Wakefield was *investigated* because there was evidence of fraud. He had the information that several of the children had been diagnosed with behavioral problems before being vaccinated but left this information out. He altered medical histories.

Wakefield *himself* was never able to duplicate the study. Others who tried to duplicate the study were unable to come up with similar results. If it's all a big conspiracy by drug companies, how come Wakefield couldn't reproduce his own study?
 peppermint petunias
Msg: 24
Posted: 1/21/2011 5:03:00 AM

Are you paying attention to this?

Awwwwww..
Sure, just don't think you get it.

You posted a thread..I responded.
Your one sided view was pretty much blown apart on page one..
You hate being disagreed with WAAAAY to much IMO.

Which leads me to ask.....................

One to many vaccines?

CrazyCanuckz
Msg: 25
Posted: 1/21/2011 11:11:48 AM

Who paid for *Wakefield's* study? Lawyers who wanted to sue companies who produced vaccines, that's who. Are you paying attention to this?

Now you are making crap up to defend your own argument. I don't know any lawyers that would invest in studies to get their income. Lawyers don't invest, they sue people or defend. They usually require something a retainer fee. Most lawyers are money hungry. The only thing they give you is TIME and LABOR.

You really need to come up with something more realistic, you're not writing a silly novel.

Wakefield was *investigated* because there was evidence of fraud

Then where is it? Names, places?

Wakefield *himself* was never able to duplicate the study. Others who tried to duplicate the study were unable to come up with similar results.

For a proper study you need more than a few dozen people. It takes YEARS to do a study. How long? Usually at least 10 to 20 years.

If what you said is true then there should be a law suit against Dr Wakefield. Then the truth will really come out.
But I bet it won't happen because they are actually hiding something.
Show ALL Forums  > Health Wellness  > Study Linking Vaccine To Autism Found Was Fraud