Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Dating Experiences  > Motorcycle rides as first dates?      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 browneyesboo
Msg: 4
Motorcycle rides as first dates?Page 1 of 6    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6)
I don't have issues with riding motorcycles.
I ride one myself.
I don't mind getting in someone's car I don't know that well...
I've shared rides at work, gotten in taxis, etc.
But I don't ride on anyone's bike that I don't know. Motorcycles
are dangerous enough when I'm riding, I wouldn't trust a stranger
to ride me around. Might seem odd thinking for some, but it works
for me.

So no, I wouldn't go on a motorcycle ride for a fist date, but I would
appreciate the offer.

femaleconnection
Msg: 5
Motorcycle rides as first dates?
Posted: 1/13/2011 11:33:32 AM
On a first date I always provide my own transportation. I need to know they are what I consider a safe driver....and I have no desire to find out while on the back of a bike that the driver is an idiot.
 U make it entertaining
Msg: 6
Posted: 1/13/2011 12:00:55 PM
NO...I would not go for a ride on anyones motorcycle for the first date.

Why? As mentioned by others, you are not sure how good a driver he is.

I met a man who had a bike, and we chatted for a while until I got to know him. Then one Saturday I did go for a ride on the back of his bike around Lake Simcoe. It was amazing. I LOVED it!

About one year later he called me out of the blue. He had taken another woman on a ride (same one around the lake), and an older woman pulled out in front of them and he totaled his bike. Both him and the woman went flying over the car and ended up with injuries. He's still not well, and I would have considered him a good driver.

If that were me, my life would be in turmoil. I had a son to support, and a job to maintain. That would have been a disaster. So now I'm even rethinking if I would ride on the back of anyone's bike

I was a passenger on the back of my ex-husbands from time to time, however when he started booting down the country road at 140 km/hour I never sat on the back again. That is just plain STUPID! I don't have a death wish.

Don't get me wrong, I love motorcycles. My father used to ride me on one when I was 4. It brings back a lot of fond memories. So instead of riding on someone else's bike, I am going to purchase my own this year. A small one, one that I can tour the countryside on a nice warm day. However first, I will take courses.

I may not have anyone to take care of now, (as my son has moved out), I just don't want anyone having to take care of me, just because I was not being careful.
jmo
 Max Schnell
Msg: 9
Posted: 1/13/2011 12:39:07 PM
How is riding in someone's vehicle during a first date any different than hopping on the back of a motorcycle?

How is having an accident on a motorcycle different than having an accident in a car?

How does the balance and handling of a motorcycle change with at least 100 extra pounds of weight on the back seat?

How does road rash feel compared to an airbag in the face?

How is a poorly executed landing in an airplane with ass-backward power settings completely different than a stalled engine in a pickup out on the highway?
 ncdamsel
Msg: 10
Posted: 1/13/2011 1:12:33 PM
No Way, that is about like inviting a a stranger to your home, you could end up in some sucluded area, which is a very very bad... place to be with some one you don't know... prison dont exist for people singing to loud in church,,, safety first...Allways!!!
 LAgoodguy
Msg: 11
Posted: 1/13/2011 1:15:22 PM
Thats funny as the only time i had a first date with me picking someone up on my bike. Was always the idea of the girls not my. I know how i ride and i always slow down with a passenger. Before i would let them on the back of the bike first Q is have they ever been on the back of the bike before. If the answer is no then its the car. I always tell them what to wear for the bike ride and i supply the helmet. I would even explain the basics on what i expect from them. Everyone says how they dont want to get hurt as a passenger, Does anyone thinks i want to get hurt cause someone else??? same time its a blast to have a first date on a bike. lots to talk about when you stop at the beach. Always had a second and third date if we went on a bike ride.
 Gwendolyn2010
Msg: 12
Posted: 1/13/2011 8:05:35 PM
I wouldn't go on a motorcycle ride on a first, second, or 100th date, but that's just me.
 Buckets_of_Sky
Msg: 13
Posted: 1/13/2011 8:13:00 PM
I haven't got anything against motorcycles, heck I even have one, however there is not way on g*d's green earth I would get on the back of a bike with a stranger! How I do I know if that nimrod can drive!?!

Not everyone can skillfully handle a bike, esp with someone new on the back seat... best find out what kind of drive the yahoo is before climbing aboard...a fall at 10mph can kill you dead.
 femaleconnection
Msg: 14
Posted: 1/14/2011 2:58:17 AM

How is riding in someone's vehicle during a first date any different than hopping on the back of a motorcycle?

Ive never hopped into a strangers car.. I was assuming the first date posed in the OP was with a stranger, like from pof. If I already knew the man well and knew him to have common sense I would accept a ride...but I have never and will never hop into any mans vehicle (2 or 4 wheeled) that I dont know yet. I would wring my kids neck for it, and I lead by example.
 southaustingal
Msg: 15
view profile
History
Posted: 1/14/2011 6:25:22 AM
"What is the deal with older women in their 40's and 50's disliking motorcycles? Yes, I would definitely ride on the back of a man's bike during our first date. Sounds like a lot of fun to me"

Maybe because you have never been on the back of a bike with someone who scares the living sh*t out of you. I got on the back of a bike as a second date and vowed never to do it again until I know what kind of rider he is. Passing a car at 80 miles an hour on a curve with a truck headed for us was enough for me. Plus, I found out that I really didn't have much in common with him on that second meeting and I was stuck spending all day with him holding on to his backside for dear life.
 abelian
Msg: 16
Posted: 1/14/2011 8:19:29 AM
Let me put it this way. I used to own a Ninja and it wasn't very difficult to find women who wanted to go for a ride on it. I knew one woman who wanted to have the shit scared out of her and though it was a rush when the front end came up off the ground when shifting gears. So, yeah. I'm sure that there are a lot of women who would get a thrill from going on a first date on a bike.

Plus, I found out that I really didn't have much in common with him on that second meeting and I was stuck spending all day with him holding on to his backside for dear life.

I can understand that. Men and women who want to ride on bikes, generally like the rush that goes along with acceleration and speed you get with a bike. Apparently, you don't, so I can see how you'd be a mismatch.
 abelian
Msg: 17
Posted: 1/14/2011 8:27:25 AM
A good rider would never scare a passenger

What if your passenger wants that? I drove for years without ever coming close to having an accident or ever laying the bike down. It was my only transportation for a while and I'd sometimes put 500 miles on it in week. I even drove it during a hurricane having to lean over just to go in a straight line. I just didn't see much point in owning a sport bike if I was going to just putt-putt around on it.
 abelian
Msg: 18
Posted: 1/14/2011 9:38:31 AM
What if in the middle of scarring them they freak and you loose control, then what????

What if I get hit by a meteor? If you were so concerned about safety, yo wouldn't ride a bike to begin with, because, face it, when you get on a bike, you're trading off safety for whatever thrill you get from a bike. And, no - no one is going to convince me that there isn't a trade off or that the type of bike you buy, how you drive it or anything else isn't a judgment call where risk is concerned. You aren't as safe as you are in a car, so you can play that same ``what if'' game when any passenger gets on back, especially one you had to talk into getting on back because she was afraid to do it without being persuaded. The one thing I never did was let someone on back who didn't want to be there in the first place.

As far as other tradeoffs go, I wouldn't consider buying anything but a sport bike for the simple reason that road bikes and other clunkers like harleys don't handle for shit, the performance sucks and they couldn't get out of the way of a speeding turtle, but I'm not going to say anyone is a fool for making that trade off because those are a hell of a lot more comfortable than a sport bike on the road, even if I felt the non-sport bikes I've driven not very responsive and too awkward to drive and still feel like I had much control.

In racing you push the bike to the edge of it's abilities, and wipeouts are all part of it or your not racing. However, it's not a thing you do on the highway and never with a passenger.

And that isn't what I'm talking about here, either.
 MsMicki
Msg: 19
view profile
History
Posted: 1/14/2011 10:10:42 AM
Thing is.......the only way to find out what kind of Motorcycle driver he is......is by
riding with him! How else are you going to find out?
So first date or 10th date isn't going to make a difference!
I got on a bike of a longtime friend this summer...one that I had rode beside in many a Poker Run ...and ended up asking him to stop about 3 miles down the road. Got off the bike and refused to get back on because of his complete recklessness. I walked home one pee'd off chick! How that man hasn't crashed yet is beyond me!

So the not knowing how he drives isn't a deciding factor for me........
But the fact I prefer to drive myself to a first date so I can leave when I want is!
 4408joseph
Msg: 20
view profile
History
Posted: 1/14/2011 2:49:20 PM
Honestly, it's rather iffy. I've been riding since 6yo, and I might not want to have a rider on the back.. A rider can and does play an effect on the bike..

That's my 2 sense.

Here's 4 seconds that might change your mind, especially the ones that say "no big deal"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KoOzaUvCEX4
 Bookbelle
Msg: 22
view profile
History
Posted: 1/14/2011 3:13:52 PM
Not for the first date, no.

If I know him, and know he is a good rider, then I probably would accept. However, not with a stranger, and not on a first date.
 abelian
Msg: 23
Posted: 1/15/2011 7:34:46 AM

As for that comment perhaps no dumber words have ever been spoken?

I don't mind some disagreeing with me, but I do mind someone leaving off half of a sentence and quoting me in a way that makes me appear to have said exactly the opposite of what I did say and then criticizing me for his/her own reinvention. In particular, the half of the sentence you quoted:

how you drive it or anything else isn't a judgment call where risk is concerned

was the last half of this sentence:

And, no - no one is going to convince me that there isn't a trade off or that the type of bike you buy, how you drive it or anything else isn't a judgment call where risk is concerned.

If you're going to quote me, include at least the minimal amount of context needed to make the quote an accurate representation of what I said. I don't think it's too much to ask to use a complete sentence. It's one sentence.
 mariacba
Msg: 24
Posted: 1/15/2011 7:59:27 AM
No,not on the first date. I won't feel free to leave the date if it doesn't work well.
 WaywardWynde
Msg: 25
view profile
History
Posted: 1/15/2011 8:12:17 AM

... and trust that the guy will not drive you to a secluded location to rape and kill you ...

I do not offer to meet under any circumstances any woman who is terrified by men as a class because they shave most days. Fear is a debilitating thing (it crushes the spirit), and I purposely avoid those so infected.

I first had a woman (I use the term woman even though she was 15 years old) ask me for a ride on my bike (a Whizzer, if anyone remembers them?) when I was just barely 16 years old.

As a young man, I -- and other guys -- commonly strapped an extra helmet to the back seat and rode around early evenings looking for young women interested in a young man.

My daughter had her first motorcycle ride at age 8 and at 90 mph (on an open, well-paved road with little traffic). She said then and later she most definitely liked it.

Some people lead more exciting lives than others. And some people are afraid of even vague shaddows. Fear is a debilitating thing. I try to leave people so infected triple-locked behind their steel reinforced doors.
 abelian
Msg: 26
Posted: 1/15/2011 8:44:40 AM

No I would not get on a motorcycle on the first date or any date.I am terrified of them.As for you op well if you happen to like motorcycles and trust that the guy will not drive you to a secluded location to rape and kill you then go for it.

How bizarre. Is there some reason you think that doing that is easier with a motorcycle than with a car? What's a guy going to do, glue your butt to the seat? If I were being taken someplace against my will, I'd be happy if someone attempted to do that with me a passenger on the back of bike. The chances of success would be zero.
 ladyc4
Msg: 27
Posted: 1/15/2011 12:24:21 PM

People should always retain control of their own transportation on a first date.

When it comes to dating people that you only know from a dating site that is like Common Sense 101. I think that was the point of the women who mentioned personal safety,not that they are "afraid" of men, or see all men as rapists-in-waiting.

So, if we adhere to the "retain control of your own transportation on a first date" principle, that pretty much renders a motorcycle ride on a first date as a moot point.

Now, if this was someone you happened to know from real life and you could get some sense of his experience, competence, and respect for the law as it pertains to motorcycles, then a motorcycle ride might be a fine first date.
Cindy O
 Maleman999
Msg: 28
Posted: 1/15/2011 12:58:58 PM
Another good reason, in my neck of the woods anyway, is there's about a foot of snow and the temperature is below freezing. Not very romantic riding conditions. lol.
 MsMicki
Msg: 30
view profile
History
Posted: 1/16/2011 8:14:39 AM

Would you tell your daughter to get in a car with a stranger - don't think so.

Probably not.......but he has no issue endangering her himself!

My daughter had her first motorcycle ride at age 8 and at 90 mph (on an open, well-paved road with little traffic).

Anyone that puts a child on a motorcycle and goes 90 mph on any road should have
their parental rights taken from them.
 ladyc4
Msg: 31
Posted: 1/16/2011 8:27:04 AM
having had a couple of close calls myself, having seen loved ones have a close call, having lost some dear friends just out on an ordinary ride-EXPERIENCED riders!
the idea of an 8 yr old child on a bike going 90 makes me cringe,too.
Open well-paved road with little traffic...what if a deer or large dog happened out onto the road? My late DH once almost got taken right off the back of his bike because his chest collided with a large BEE! What about a patch of spilled gravel or one of those Kia-swallowing potholes that open up overnight?
Actually , I don't care if it was freaking Daytona or MIS, 90 mph with a small child as passenger on the bike is a foolish risk.
Cindy O
 WaywardWynde
Msg: 32
view profile
History
Posted: 1/16/2011 8:39:09 AM
Anyone that puts a child on a motorcycle and goes 90 mph on any road

90 mph on a well-prepared motorcycle on a dry, straight, well-built and well-maintained road with little traffic is absolutely nothing. That road was built to handle heavy traffic at a speed limit of 70 mph, and one young speeder was timed (and eventually caught many miles down the road when he tried to exit) at 190 mph.

One can buy today, stock in a showroom, motorcycles which could safely travel that very same road under equally good conditions at upwards of 200 mph.

That assumes, of course, a rider who knows his limits.

Some people shouldn't be on a bike at 3 mph. Some people should do no more than sit on a couch, knitting afgans while watching soap operas and complaining about today's "young people".

BTW, my daughter asked for, and got, a parachute jump, too, from 10,000 feet up.

what if a deer or large dog happened out onto the road?

That road had cyclone fencing each side for miles in either way to keep animals off the road. It was also broad daylight with unlimited visibility.

What about a patch of spilled gravel or one of those Kia-swallowing potholes that open up overnight?

"Spilled gravel" would both extremely unlikely AND visible from a mile away (meaning 40 seconds travel time to take action, about 39.5 seconds longer than needed). "Kia-swallowing" potholes have never happened in that part of the country in known history going back thousands of years and up to today.

Don't be so afraid. Most people lead lives of quiet desparation.
Show ALL Forums  > Dating Experiences  > Motorcycle rides as first dates?