Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Art/Music  > Why are most new rock bands terrible?      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 aarons916
Msg: 1
Why are most new rock bands terrible?Page 1 of 11    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11)
I've been thinking about this awhile but maybe someone has some actual reasons why this is the case. I was introduced to Rock by my dad and quickly got into many of the great bands of the 60's and 70's like the Beatles, Rolling Stones, The Doors, Lynard Skynard, Led Zeppelin, Bruce Springsteen, you get the idea. When I listen to any music from the last 20-25 years, it's almost all terrible, and to be clear what I mean by that I mean bad lyrics, bad singing, bad instrument playing, lack of a variety of instruments, terrible harmony among instruments and singer, etc. Basically I get the feeling that most new bands aren't true musicians the way they were in the 60's and 70's. Now to be fair I do like some bands of the last 20 years but the 1 and only band I think that is actually on the level of the greats is Pearl Jam, but that is pretty bad considering the dozens of great classic bands that spawned from the 60s-70s.

Anyway my question about this is how did this happen? Is it just about money these days? If a record label can make a quick buck with a band maybe they don't care how bad they are? Maybe most young people just don't know what real music is? I don't know but any input would be appreciated.
 Cdn_Iceman
Msg: 2
Why are most new rock bands terrible?
Posted: 2/10/2011 6:05:42 AM
Its not that most new bands are terrible, its just that your musical tastes are different, look...If you go back to what you said, about the Skynryd's Doors, Zeppelin etc, most of our parents said that music is horrible, they were listening to Perry Como, Sinatra and big bands, and their parents thought the Sinatra's, Como and big band was Devil music and horrible compared to what they were listening to.

Its funny you mentioned Pearl Jam and I dont think that they were that great, even though I have one of their CD's and I really like the song " GO". Different strokes for different folks.
 MaccaFan
Msg: 3
Posted: 2/10/2011 8:14:19 AM
My take on this-

The "talent" today rely on more "bells and whistles" than groups in the 40's, 50's, 60's and early 70's did.
I think back then (and I'm old enough to remember all those decades of music, lol) we had actual singers-today I think they are more entertainers, than singers.

I must admit, I don't listen to todays "music"
One of the songs up for record of the year at this year's Grammy awards is "F*ck You" or "F*ck Me" whatever the title is.

Charming, really.
 aarons916
Msg: 4
Posted: 2/10/2011 10:55:07 AM

Its not that most new bands are terrible, its just that your musical tastes are different, look...If you go back to what you said, about the Skynryd's Doors, Zeppelin etc, most of our parents said that music is horrible, they were listening to Perry Como, Sinatra and big bands, and their parents thought the Sinatra's, Como and big band was Devil music and horrible compared to what they were listening to.

Its funny you mentioned Pearl Jam and I dont think that they were that great, even though I have one of their CD's and I really like the song " GO". Different strokes for different folks.

I think it's more than just taste though, using your examples some of the singers like Sinatra, Barry Manilow, and others in that era were still musicians, had good voices, good lyrics and even though I don't listen to that kind of stuff I can see they are talented. And I'm also not talking about parents just not liking it, I'm 27 so I'm talking about music that many of my friends like and stuff I grew up with and the overwhelming majority of it is pure crap. I mean can anyone really say we have the equivalent bands today as the Beatles, Rolling Stones or Skynard? I say not even close.

As far as Pearl Jam I don't know what kind of music you're into but that CD has some of their hits on it but I don't like the CD much either. If you really want to hear some of their great songs try Off He Goes, Around the Bend, Immortality, Thin Air, or Strangest Tribe are just a few, I didn't like them till recently either, until I started listening to all their albums.
 aarons916
Msg: 5
Posted: 2/10/2011 10:58:09 AM

The "talent" today rely on more "bells and whistles" than groups in the 40's, 50's, 60's and early 70's did.
I think back then (and I'm old enough to remember all those decades of music, lol) we had actual singers-today I think they are more entertainers, than singers.

That's another good point and shows like American idol aren't helping this when they basically give people record deals who only have good voices. They put out a bunch of singers who have maybe 1 album with 1 hit song on it and are forgotten after that.
 jed456
Msg: 6
view profile
History
Posted: 2/12/2011 4:29:30 PM
I wouldn't say they were terrible but I listen to classic rock doors the who Beatles the Byrd's skynyrd Dylan,the moody blues Hendrix.Rem u2 its a matter of taste I do agree some its more of entertainment then talent I mean lady gaga?Please.
 ComplekCity
Msg: 7
Posted: 2/13/2011 3:09:32 PM
IMO the last great era for great bands was grunge which ended around 1995.

In all fairness to bands nowadays, back in the 60's rock was pretty much an empty canvas where all you had to do was sneeze to the left and you were totally unique.

Now ? It's pretty much impossible to sound unique - everything's been done !
Don't agree ?
Well, write me some rock songs that don't sound like something I've ever heard before.

I also think the industry is no longer willing to take a chance on something fresh and original. They'd rather play it safe and cater to the teens/sheep.

You know...it's sad but true.

aarons916
Msg: 8
Posted: 2/14/2011 11:17:42 AM

I don't mean to be rude man, but I don't think you get it. Like the previous posters have said - it is just preference, there are numerous bands that have contributed to the history of music since the 80's! the list would go on for days . You probably are nostalgic towards the groups you have mentioned considering they are something you share with your Dad and that level of connection is hard to replicate. To say that there has not been many great bands/groups/artists since the 80's is ridiculous.

Well I said since the early 90's, there were still a lot of good bands in the 80's but why is it so ridiculous? How many bands are still relevant from the last 20 years? Why do you think the great bands of the 60's-80's are still listened to today and radio stations exist that can exclusively play the classics and still pay the bills? I don't see many stations dedicated to playing 1 hit wonders of the last 20 years, just saying.
 Cdn_Iceman
Msg: 9
Posted: 2/14/2011 12:05:15 PM

I don't see many stations dedicated to playing 1 hit wonders of the last 20 years, just saying.
sure there are, depends on which station you listen to. I can still name a bunch of one hit wonders from the 60s and 70's they gets played on the radio today.
 flyguy51
Msg: 10
Posted: 2/15/2011 9:50:13 PM

IMO the last great era for great bands was grunge which ended around 1995.

In all fairness to bands nowadays, back in the 60's rock was pretty much an empty canvas where all you had to do was sneeze to the left and you were totally unique.

Now ? It's pretty much impossible to sound unique - everything's been done !
Don't agree ?
Well, write me some rock songs that don't sound like something I've ever heard before.

I also think the industry is no longer willing to take a chance on something fresh and original. They'd rather play it safe and cater to the teens/sheep.

You know...it's sad but true.

I wholeheartedly agree with this (nice Metallica reference, btw) and I agree with the OP. In fact, I have been making the same complaint with people of various ages and I haven't encountered much at all in the way of disagreement.

For every decent artist offered up in the last 10 years I could counteroffer about 5 equal or better artists from the 80's and only barely touching the 70's, let alone the 60's.

One only need watch the musical guests on Saturday Night Live over the decades to see this recent (last 10 years) downhill slide in action.
 slimchance2010
Msg: 11
view profile
History
Posted: 2/16/2011 9:06:18 AM
The music industry seems so much more cynical and narrowly focussed . It is a business after all so a certain amount of calculated marketting is not surprising.
When the Beatles broke out at the dawn of the 60's, there also was a flood of similar bands. The same bands that we old fogies recall so fondly.
Being outsiders looking in at a music culture that you can't relate to makes you more objective in your views. Like our parents when they commented on the music of our generation.
 nightsky1375
Msg: 12
view profile
History
Posted: 3/11/2011 7:27:04 PM
Time is part of it, but it also has to do with a lack of creativity. There are very few groups out there anymore who have any form of creative aspects, most of them don’t even write their own music. If you look back at the music played back in the 60’s, 70’s and 80’s the censors at the time limited the explicit content of what songs were allowed on the radio/produced. If you actually pay attention to the music you get the references to sex, drugs, and rock’n’roll, but it’s not as blatant as it is today. They weren’t allowed to use all the swearing you find in much of today’s rock music and had to find ways around it.

Over glorified karaoke (aka American Idol) doesn’t help when all you have to be able to do is sing. If you look at the albums that come from those kids none of the music is their own and it’s all the same generic style you keep hearing from everyone else. Sure, they may have a great voice, but the creative process is largely removed from today’s music industry. Lady Gaga is a good example of this, the first few songs that came out on the radio were basically the same song with different lyrics and tempo. Her new song is basically a Madonna rip off with undertones of TLC’s Waterfalls.

Yeah… creativity pretty much gone poof in the music industry. Sad, really.
 nomartian
Msg: 13
view profile
History
Posted: 3/14/2011 3:21:07 AM
Different time, different youth...the whole idea of music is to be different to that of the previous generation..if the youth of today listened to the same stuff as their parents, it wouldn't be 'their' music.
And don't forget the 60's/70's also gave us overblown up their own **** so called supergroups like Yes, ELP etc..

You just have to give it up and say 'I just aint young enough to get it any more'....it happens to everyone in the end!!

And just to give a little bit of consolation, go to youtube and check out 'The Heavy'...they are from the UK, and are quality. Enjoy.
 GabrielWhispers
Msg: 14
Posted: 3/15/2011 10:15:09 AM
Theres a ton of great rock around. Youre just not going to find it on the radio, MTV or any of those other record label influenced mediums that have dumbed down the buying public.
 DTFan88
Msg: 15
Posted: 3/17/2011 1:24:51 PM
Dream Theater started in the 1980's and they are probably the best progressive rock band ever. I saw them live twice last year on their tour (once supporting Iron Maiden and the other time headlining s small venue). Excellent musicianship and melody-writing. They are still putting out amazing music.

I like Pearl Jam also but there was still a lot of other great music as well. I'm disappointed that Oasis broke up. I bought most of their cd's from the early 1990s up through the last studio release "Dig Up Your Soul". I agree that a lot of the newer rock bands often sound very similar which gets boring. For instance the Nickelbacks, Papa Roaches, Linkin Parks, Seether,etc. They don't seem to have unique guitar tones. It's often the same stock distorted guitar tone. Back in the 80's I could easily tell Eddie Van Halen, Randy Rhoads, George Lynch, Steve Vai, Joe Satriani, Yngwie Malmsteen,etc. by the unique guitar tones they personified in their music and playing styles.
I guess the closest band to emulating the Stones would have to be Guns N' Roses but they failed to keep their legacy going.
 IgorFrankensteen
Msg: 16
view profile
History
Posted: 3/20/2011 11:09:34 AM
Well, the music industry, like ALL businesses has ALWAYS been about money! So that doesn't have anything to do with this.
I think varieties of personal tastes has a lot to do with it, but there have also been MANY times when there seemed to be a dearth of new talent showing up for long periods. Almost nothing of life occurs as part of a smooth continuity!
Special elements affecting things now, though, include that the music industry itself is struggling to deal with the new business models required to make money in the internet era. In addition, I suspect that many people who used to have jobs LOOKING for new talent, have been done away with, as being an unnecessary expense (this is part of the overall near complete elimination of middle-management from EVERY business in the eighties and nineties). Many music industry folks would LIKE us to believe that the profits have been drained out of music, by the easy ability to copy performances, and to find them online, thus eliminating their ability to derive profit from making them available.
Another thing to consider: it is a little easier to GET to be able to put your music in front of people these days, so you are aware of MORE of what it being put out than you once were. The filters aren't as strong as they used to be. Music seems more 'polluted' by garbage, because less of the garbage is weeded out before it reaches you.
Again: you didn't LIVE through the times of the bands you admire, so you aren't aware of how much sheer garbage was also challenging our ears when those guys WERE still making music. I did, and I DO remember that there were 90 crappy songs in the top 100 almost every week. After time goes by, the garbage songs fade away, and all we remember is the gems. So the past ALWAYS looks richer, artistically.
By the way, there were several times I too thought exactly as you describe yourself thinking, back in each decade past; several of those times, I came to actually appreciate the work of some of the bands I once despised! I remember thinking teh 80's were all about mindless electronics, and special effects.. but now when they show an 80's retrospective, I leap to watch. Right now, I don't much care for many things I hear, but who knows how I will feel in the 2020's?
 Ready4SomethingFun
Msg: 17
view profile
History
Posted: 3/21/2011 2:56:01 PM
Most new rock bands are terrible because the taste of the majority of those who listen to it for the most part is pretty terrible. (Same explanation for why rap music has become a multi-million dollar industry.) There are no options anymore, it's pre-programmed corporate crappola or the highway as far as radio goes. The few who dare to be adventurous seek out the truly great or good stuff and the rest make mediocre talent millionaires.

After time goes by, the garbage songs fade away, and all we remember is the gems. So the past ALWAYS looks richer, artistically.

Then why can't I forget "You Light Up My Life" by Debby frickin' Boone?
 ComplekCity
Msg: 18
Posted: 3/21/2011 3:43:24 PM

you didn't LIVE through the times of the bands you admire, so you aren't aware of how much sheer garbage was also challenging our ears when those guys WERE still making music.

BUT at least in the past there was enough decent music to counter balance the crap - nowadays it's ALL crap !

THAT is the difference !

I'm sure there are probably decent bands out there but how will I know about them without a record label to promote them ?

Please , someone, tell me what new bands are out there that I can check out !

PLEASE !

Jersey125
Msg: 19
Posted: 3/21/2011 4:48:20 PM
Most new rock bands are terrible because the taste of the majority of those who listen to it for the most part is pretty terrible. (Same explanation for why rap music has become a multi-million dollar industry.) .

Doesnt everyone think waht they like is great and what everyone likes that they dont like is crap?

There are no options anymore, it's pre-programmed corporate crappola or the highway as far as radio goes. The few who dare to be adventurous seek out the truly great or good stuff and the rest make mediocre talent millionaires.

Now there is a valid point. The problem with radio now is there is no independently owned radio stations. Two or three corporations on the majority of radio stations. Instead of 100 radio stations with 100 program mangers with individidual taste and in tune with the local population, you have 1 program manager deciding what gets played on all 100 stations.

Please , someone, tell me what new bands are out there that I can check out.

Befriend a DJ..thats how I got into The Black Keys. Or frequent local shows.
 Ready4SomethingFun
Msg: 20
view profile
History
Posted: 3/22/2011 4:27:21 AM

Doesnt everyone think waht they like is great and what everyone likes that they dont like is crap?

True there are always going to be bands that are destined to be cult bands. But my point is a lot of what is getting played on the radio today is akin to a garbage disposer. But if you are force fed the sounds enough (todays mediocre crap is not only played all over the radio and the internet, but stuck into every movie and television show that they can sneak it into) which burns the song(s) into your semi-conscious, after awhile you automatically start to like it. Until your totally burnt on it, but which time the record companies have made a fortune off of it, and move on to the next disposable fad they can wring the life out of. I blame a lot of it on MTV who proved if you play a song (or video of a song) 15 times an hour every hour, it WILL become a hit. The record companies (and the radio stations) took that philosophy and ran with it.

I liked the Black Keys better when they were called the White Stripes. They are the same band basically. And that is another problem with music, a band that is original somehow manages to get popular (not an easy task these days) and the next thing you know there are 15 other bands that sound just like them. It's gotten depressing.
 ComplekCity
Msg: 21
Posted: 3/22/2011 8:53:29 AM

And that is another problem with music, a band that is original somehow manages to get popular and the next thing you know there are 15 other bands that sound just like them.

Well that is nothing new.

For example, I remember when Pearl Jam hit it big and next thing you know every singer is doing an Eddie Vedder impression - like a bunch of long haired Rich Littles in grunge attire.

Can anyone give me a list of fresh rock bands that are out there ?????

shakeitupbaby2012
Msg: 22
Posted: 3/22/2011 10:17:07 AM
^^^^^^^^I took rock bands from the past 5 years- a cross-section of popular music, and simply music with a good beat to show what's out there- not necessarily classic rock. I then placed a band under each song that's from the 90's-2000's- that are known but this is their newer music- again,,,a cross-section of what's popular out there based on the year they issued the cd.

Rehab- Graffitti cd- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Hp9aSpPT_g&feature=related

NIN- The Slip cd- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=08MFfj_ZXWU

*Three Days Grace (Alt Rock- partly regrouped from the ex Groundswell band)- Never Too Late-http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lL2ZwXj1tXM&feature=artistob&playnext=1&list=TLd9L9bHebG6A
(I like this song-I don't choose things for the lyrics but mainly for the melody etc)

Kanye West-Stronger- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gG50h6ajBDg
(not the best example of lyrics, but a good beat, melody and an example of a 2004 artist)

stemming from the 90's, but newer music:

***Nickelback- Far away ( Ones of my fav bands/ songs):
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j4y-RzVGrHg

Godsmack: Shine down- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RV35MxbzTPA

***Saving Abel ( another fav band/ song)[2004 based group]
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Oq3MK8dLyvc

There's some to hopefully enjoy. Start with Saving Abel and Nickelback- really good IMO. I'll add some as I think of them and get a bit fresher with it.

EDIT: Here's a 2010 band that, to me, is a bit reminiscent of the 70's music-
Free Energy- http://video.search.yahoo.com/video/play?p=free%20energy&tnr=21&vid=604835480336&l=252&turl=http%3A%2F%2Fts1.mm.bing.net%2Fvideos%2Fthumbnail.aspx%
 shakeitupbaby2012
Msg: 23
Posted: 3/22/2011 10:54:14 AM
btw, if the saving abel song was too sedate, try this one:

http://video.search.yahoo.com/video/play?p=free%20energy&tnr=21&vid=604835480336&l=252&turl=http%3A%2F%2Fts1.mm.bing.net%2Fvideos%2Fthumbnail.aspx%

daughtry: over you-

http://search.yahoo.com/search?ei=UTF-8&fr=crmas&p=daughtry
 Ready4SomethingFun
Msg: 24
view profile
History
Posted: 3/22/2011 4:34:36 PM
Hate to break it to you but most of the bands you mentioned are glowing examples of why most new rock bands are terrible. But let's just concentrate on the main offender..........

Nickleback is a perfect example of corporate hack assembly line hard rock and there just as many if not more hate sites on the net devoted to them as fan sites. Tony Goldmark did a parody of them called "Teeth Clenched" on his album "Rage Against the Mundane" (get it?) that was the most requested song on the Dr. Demento song a couple years ago (and rightfully so, it's dead on the money!!). They are the epitome of the soul-less mundane hack infested waters that radio and hard rock in general has become. They began as a clone of Creed (who were basically a ripoff of Pearl Jam conbined with all the worst elements of post "And Justice For All" Metallica) and haven't even tried to show an inking of originality (and why should they--the sheep eat them up just the way they are). And the saddest part is there are 15 Nickelback clones out there getting airplay and it's hard to tell any of them apart.
 shakeitupbaby2012
Msg: 25
Posted: 3/22/2011 10:08:26 PM
I simply listen to music I like. I could care less that it's a Creed ---> Pearl Jam 'clone' et al. I disagree with that btw- they have their own sound IMO. Not all music/ rock is different.
Not everyone has their own sound ( until, perhaps, it develops later).

The poster didn't ask which new rock bands were specific to his taste, nor did he have any other conditions. He simply asked for suggestions of newer rock bands ( than classic rock). I offered up a few bands that are different and some of my favorites. Creed would be among those.
Show ALL Forums  > Art/Music  > Why are most new rock bands terrible?