Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Health Wellness  > Do you like to look good in the gym?      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 colt8301
Msg: 4
Do you like to look good in the gym?Page 1 of 4    (1, 2, 3, 4)

Should I be making more effort myself and invest in some new sportwear? :-)

Jesus, the gym is turning into america's top model i see, personally i see people but i don't notice or care, I'm of those people who would wear jeans and boots in the gym, some gyms allow me to some don't, I'm like hey"I'm working out aint I", I'm in the gym for one reason that's to workout, not dressing to impress....Sure if you want to invest in sportswear why not?
 VacationGuy234
Msg: 7
Do you like to look good in the gym?
Posted: 2/18/2011 4:10:38 PM
If the object of going to the gym is to make yourself more attractive, I see no better place to start than at the gym. What is the goal you are trying to achieve?
 colt8301
Msg: 9
Posted: 2/19/2011 6:01:22 AM

The reason why most gyms do not allow street clothes like jeans is they have rivets on them, and they tend to catch and tear the padding on the benches.

Again some gyms let me get away with it(depending on the color of the jeans) if they were blue they would "****" if they were brown/khaki color they wouldn't say a word LA fitness in particular, the non "chains" didn't care what i had on, then again nobody is hardly there.
 sweetest
Msg: 12
view profile
History
Posted: 2/20/2011 5:44:35 AM
Yes I do. It's not to the same degree that I do for business attire, but I do think through what I'm planning on wearing and when. I have a bunch of quality dri-fit pieces and those aren't ever paired with t-shirts. I don't wear t-shirts to run in either. Most of my gym clothes are made of technical shirts/bottoms...and I'm most comfortable in that type of gear. As to forming judgments about people in a gym environment...most that are serious about their time there don't ruminate on stuff like this...they go in and do their thing and move along. When I see people in cotton gear and non-gym like clothing/non-compliant footwear I'm usually thinking that they're new to working out. I pay attention to women's gear because I like acquiring new pieces.
 femaleconnection
Msg: 22
Posted: 2/23/2011 11:43:49 AM
I prefer to work out at home where no one will see me or care if my 'outfit' is new and trendy or not. As well, last two gyms I used, I got planters wart on my foot from the change room. They just cannot keep the floors disenfected enough for my liking, so it is better to work out from home, for me.

When I was going all I made sure of was that my clothers were clean. Leggings and an oversized t shirt is fine by me and I laughed at all the ones prancing around in full makeup and perfume...and it wasnt just the ladies! lolol
 sexyisback!
Msg: 27
Posted: 2/24/2011 1:35:34 PM

So new or not, public showers and saunas are a germ fest.

yes, but so are public conveyances, like subway cars, trains, airplanes, buses..public washrooms, basically anything that more than one person touches

certainly public pay phones, even office or home phones if more than one person uses it, computers, keyboards if used by more than one person

Air in any public place where infected people may be breathing, coughing, etc.

Swimming pools, beaches that may (and likely do) contain human and/or canine excreta and urine, etc.

almost any public or semi-public place best solution is to be come a hermit, always carry disinfectant, wear effective breathing filtering apparatus, wear latex gloves, or preferably a head to toe bio-hazard suit in public places, become a Howard Hughes type.
 justagrlwithacat
Msg: 29
Posted: 2/24/2011 5:57:16 PM
After leaving the gym I go to the washroom first to wash my hands before going home. I was with a friend once and he thought I was ridiculous for doing that, "rah rah rah germs are good for you"and so on...you know the type. I said no, that's disgusting, you know what's in there? But he was stubborn...I said go ahead then, lick your hands, and he did. Bllllaaa yuuuuck. He's fine of course, maybe I'm just overreacting to the thought of the germs in there, I don't know, but I was grossed right out!

On the topic though...I just wear my yoga pants and a t shirt...kind of a loser t shirt. Not too concerned. But I do love watching all the muscly muscle boys doing their thing...doesn't go unappreciated :)
Then I come along and lower the 250+weight to my puny little 15 pounds. :D
 justagrlwithacat
Msg: 30
Posted: 2/24/2011 6:01:11 PM
looser t shirt :) lol
 sexyisback!
Msg: 34
Posted: 2/25/2011 1:47:14 PM

Avoid everything? I think public showers are disgusting and dirty no matter how clean they look. I can avoid them.

why not just work out at home?

you don't 'need' hundreds of pieces of equipment to be 'fit'

ever seen Zuzana on bodyrocktv.net ? google it or find on Youtube, she does bodyweight only exercises at home, not a gym, for about 15-20 mins. per day and is shredded.

if you're so worried about the showers; the benches, equipment, barbells, dumb-bells, machines etc. also no doubt have disgusting sweat & other bodily fluids (snot, maybe) of many people, with bacteria multiplying, dripped all over them.

VVV

Get a life please!

friggin' hilarious coming from someone who has posted 6 times on this thread alone ..keeping those 'networks' humming today? lol

VVV
 mrcs84
Msg: 39
view profile
History
Posted: 3/28/2011 10:04:33 AM
I like my clothes to match. I generally work out in shorts that are red & silver, so I will try to wear a red/black shirt. Other than that, I don't think it should matter at all.
 Dittohead_213
Msg: 42
Posted: 4/4/2011 3:45:49 PM
I could careless about how I look. A gym is a place to get stronger, it's not a social hangout. Just wear some clean cloths and lift some heavy-ass weight.
 tatjana25
Msg: 44
Posted: 5/7/2011 2:20:24 PM
Yeah I put an effort anytime I'm out in public!!
 jpwrnglrwmn_forumsonly
Msg: 45
Posted: 5/7/2011 11:11:34 PM
Yes, I do put forth an effort, but what I'm wearing isn't the trendiest. .it's just a mix of nike dri fit shirts mixed with running pants from TJ Maxx or Ross. As long as my workout clothes are clean/not ripped/raggedy, that's the main thing. Sometimes, I'll end up washing my shirts and using them again in a couple of days. . True, it's not a fashion show. . .
 jaqi
Msg: 46
view profile
History
Posted: 5/9/2011 1:12:55 PM
When I first started using the gym I used to make sure I had put the smack on first but as I have improved in body shape I worry less about making up and invariably head to the gym with my face totaly naked! I guess there is something about improving your fitness and body shape that brings on that confidence. There was a time I wouldn't have left the house to go anywhere without wearing make up but I even go to work without it now.... not every day but most days. I buy the majority of my gym gear from charity shops though sometimes I buy from sports.com shops as they are relatively cheap. I can't see the reasoning behind spending a fortune on sports wear unless you are competing.
 UnixGrand
Msg: 47
view profile
History
Posted: 5/15/2011 6:38:47 PM
Well..... I have my own gym at home, but when I do go to an outside gym... I'm not concerned about my looks. I'm more interested in doing a good workout, and finishing my workout. I can look good when I leave the gym. I'm so used to all the mirrors all around that it doesn't faze me. What's important is getting to the point that you feel healthy, and then you look good. Then you know you reached your goal.
 Christolicious
Msg: 50
Posted: 6/17/2011 6:09:58 PM
The last thing I'm thinking about at the gym is how I look. I'm not there for anyone else, nor am I seeking approval from anyone. I'm there to get my workout in, go home, make dinner, and chill out until it's lights out.

The great thing about running is that you don't need a gym. Unless it's less than 15 degrees outside, and windy. Then *maybe* you need the dreadmill.
 backinthebubble
Msg: 53
Posted: 6/20/2011 7:57:19 PM
I think making an effort to look presentable is always a smart move, even at the gym. I don't think that means you have to necessarily spend up on good quality sportswear, but your clothes should have colors that blend well and everything should fit well on you regardless of your physical condition. It seems from the question you ask that you feel a bit self concious about seeing people from work or perhaps other people you know. If I was a bit unsure of something like that, I'd definitely act to correct it.

I used to think I was going to meet women at the gym, but I've noticed all the ones I'm interested in have their iPods on, and frankly, so do I. So I rarely have much conversation there. Nevertheless, it is a great place to trade some smiles now and then, and hey, ya never know.
 rrobyb1
Msg: 54
view profile
History
Posted: 6/20/2011 10:28:10 PM
I agree, from a man's perspective.
 Flipgirl24
Msg: 55
view profile
History
Posted: 6/22/2011 11:55:13 PM
I just wear a cotton tshirt and shorts. Im more comfortable in them. I dont really care about what others are doing. I just go and do all my stuff and get out. I'm not comfortable showing skin while I'm lying on a bench or.doing push-ups. It doesnt matter if I was.stick thin or an oxygen magazine model.
 Funman2772
Msg: 65
view profile
History
Posted: 6/26/2011 6:48:03 PM
When I hit the gym, I am far from thinking about my appearance. Granted I don't want to look like I just rolled out of bed either.

I just go to train, and if people find a sweaty guy attractive then great, but for the most part it is stretch, fire up the Ipod and hit the weights and as hard as I can and go home.
 waitingfo4u2call
Msg: 66
Posted: 6/27/2011 2:25:02 AM
*** Well the Gym. The best place to be. Do you make an effort??? If you ,don't make an effort than you should stay home. What you wear, does not count, as you don't go there to do modeling but to the workout. Taking notice of what other people are wearing 'NONE'. It does not matter what they wear but what they do. No judegements how others look or what they do and how. As for the new and good sportswear if you have one why not but it dooes not make you ,work harder, unless yuou want to impress someone in the Gym hehehehe ***
 SleepyMcGee
Msg: 70
view profile
History
Posted: 6/30/2011 12:27:53 AM
Everybody notices everybody and judges them. I indeed have a good inner chuckle at the dudes who come to the gym in jeans and a button down. Or in Under Armour.

The trick is to go to the gym for yourself, not to impress other people (that comes outside the gym!) I wear clothes that are too big for me, mostly t-shirts that I cut the sleeves off (ok, that's more to impress people...but it's also a lot more comfortable when weightlifting)
 hoopsnhikes
Msg: 73
Posted: 7/3/2011 8:30:56 PM

As opposed to looking bad? Yes, I suppose I do. Just as I guess I would rather look good than bad anywhere. Of course actually pulling that off is another story.
 workoutnatureboy
Msg: 80
Posted: 7/31/2011 6:33:54 PM
Well well, the mere fact that you notice what everyone is wearing , and you' re here asking everyone what you should wear, should be the answer to your own question, you're concerned about others, and what they think. But the fact of the matter is this, if you're going out in public dont be a Walmart slob,,,, dress nice enough with clean cloths on each time you go, and the fact you need to ask leads me to believe you are not quite all there anyways!
 Aaronanthony217
Msg: 81
Posted: 8/7/2011 10:20:59 PM
Um no.. I personally go to the gym to workout, not try to look good for other people. Hell I'll go in jeans and a wife beater if I don't feel like throwing "athletics" gear on. Pretty sure the clothes i wear in the gym will not affect my gains.
Show ALL Forums  > Health Wellness  > Do you like to look good in the gym?