Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Plentyoffish Site/Suggestions/Help  > Last Online Feature in Inbox is now a pay feature.      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 Cinderfreakinella
Msg: 1
Last Online Feature in Inbox is now a pay feature.Page 1 of 3    (1, 2, 3)
Since I left the site 6 months ago and have now returned, there is a new Last Online feature on the Inbox page.

Does the time shown mean its 2 hours since the person logged off or does it mean that person has been online for the last two hours?

Thanks.

Before you reply , Do note that the feature has only been made a pay feature in your INBOX

It is still available in your Sent Messages Box <-- Click There to see.

August 2011

Cinderfreakinella
Msg: 2
Last Online Feature in Inbox
Posted: 2/25/2011 10:20:53 AM
Thnak you, it all becomes clear.
 Chich01
Msg: 3
view profile
History
Posted: 8/3/2011 9:15:14 PM
I was on the site earlier today and the last online in my inbox was working fine. I just logged in and under last online it has the word "show" and when I hit it it wants me to pay for a subscription. Why did this change this evening?
 jaibaby24
Msg: 4
Posted: 8/3/2011 10:23:24 PM
It changed because this "free" site is becoming more like other paying websites to where we have to pay for things that really should be free :-/ Its just another upgrade bonus you get for being a true member...Tomorrow you will have to pay to see a persons profile, just a matter of time before its no longer free.
 alluringdiction
Msg: 5
Posted: 8/3/2011 11:30:11 PM
This is my first time in the forum section because I was looking for an answer to the very question that you posted.
If that feature isn't going to work anymore... without paying for a subscription... this site really cannot claim to be free!!!
Will someone who runs this site please give us a diffinitive answer.
 UglyFroggieCritter
Msg: 6
Posted: 8/3/2011 11:35:33 PM
I think the answer is quite clear: When you click on "Show" under "Last Online", it takes you to the subscription page. So yeah, it's now a pay feature.

And as stated many times through different threads, the site can claim to be free because we can still send and receive messages (IMs and PMs) with no charge.

The stuff that's offered as an Upgrade or a Feature? Not needed to make connections.

And BigFish, the guy who runs this place, doesn't usually let anybody know what he's up to. You can always try contacting him through his profile or contact csr@pof.com.
 alluringdiction
Msg: 7
Posted: 8/3/2011 11:52:28 PM
True... the answer is pretty clear.
Too bad the masses don't get any kind of heads up about changes to the site etc...
As far as the definition of a free site... makes sense I guess... but like I stated...
This was my first time in the forum/thread section of this site.. so I've read any of the "as stated many times" threads... but thanks for the reply.
As far as contacting BigFish... lol... what would be the point.... do you think if I asked pretty please, can you change it back to the way that it was.... that he would? :)
 alluringdiction
Msg: 8
Posted: 8/3/2011 11:53:59 PM
^ So I've * NEVER* read any of the...
 Bellaflores
Msg: 9
Posted: 8/4/2011 3:12:19 AM
Care to explain from the Admins why there are now more and more features that can only be accessed by the paid members? I thought this is a free online dating site?
 Cullers
Msg: 10
Posted: 8/4/2011 3:40:38 AM
Just to say this is the first time I've posted on the forums and I've been a member since about 2008. Over the past year, it seems like more and more of the features are becoming 'upgrade' features. The reason the site is so popular is due to it being free. This in return has an impact on the advertising revenue the site is getting. Changing the features like this is going to drive members to other sites which will be sad.
From logging on this morning to logging on an hour later, the site has altered the 'last time since online' option. Next it will be a free site where you have to pay/upgrade to see images and then what? A free site where you have to 'upgrade' in order to reply?
Sad, sad sad! :(
 statesborocookie
Msg: 11
Posted: 8/4/2011 3:43:57 AM
Just want to say I am not happy with this change at all.
 MissStackhouse
Msg: 12
Posted: 8/4/2011 4:33:02 AM
This change doesn't bother me in the least bit. I don't want people I'm communicating with knowing everytime I log in.

Now if only Marcus would make the stupid green dot "online now" feature part of the paid upgrade I'd be a very happy camper
 D_mingo
Msg: 13
Posted: 8/4/2011 6:07:41 AM
I've used PoF for some time. The serious member's prices are ridiculous, and every time we turn around, some other feature vanishes. The word the moderator used was 'lost'. Maybe it's time PoF got some free competition. Sucking clients in, then jacking prices is an old trick.
 HawkingJr
Msg: 14
view profile
History
Posted: 8/4/2011 6:49:30 AM
I was actually surprised by how many are protesting this change (beyond the fact that POF keeps heading down that slippery slope toward being a pure pay site) because so many complained about it when it was implemented. Interestingly, regardless of whether the sent folder is working right in this regard (or whether it not being pay yet was an oversight that will be corrected), you can still get last log-in time from favoriting someone (which either party can later delete). Of course, how much longer will THAT be free? (That is, not just the ability to see last log-in for favorites, but favoriting itself!)

I mean, it's starting to look very peculiar, but I still agree that the site can no longer claim to be "100% free" when you can no longer send regular emails, read regular emails or do some sort of useful search for free. Everything else is arguably just bells and whistles, so right now it's on shaky but still "solid" standing with that claim. But the annoying part is the "bait and switch" routine that's been going on lately: give us a free tool for a few weeks, then suddenly it's not free anymore. Which is perfectly fine if you mention ahead of time that's going to happen. The site simply doesn't seem as honest as it used to be. I'm definitely not bothered by the implentation of NEW tools that are pay-only from the beginning (like Ultra Match) -- it's losing tools that were previously free that's troublesome. Also makes me wonder why the site "suddenly" (as in the last couple of years) has a major revenue (or perhaps profit) problem when it was the almighty god of ad revenue for so many years. (I'm not being completely obtuse, of course -- I'm well aware we've been in a recession-type situation for 3 years. Still...)
 Cullers
Msg: 15
Posted: 8/4/2011 7:14:47 AM
I think (with all due respect) saying we haven't lost 'anything of value' is purely subjective. I tend to use it a quite a bit but I may be a rarity.

In my view its a bit like getting a TV service.... when you first join, all the channels are free. You can watch anything and everything when you want. Then, after it becomes the most popular tv service around, they start putting all the sport channels on a paid basis. Then its the movies, etc. It becomes a catch 22 situation. Membership (or rather serious membership) will drop as people compare the price to mainstream paid sites such as Match etc and join there. As the membership drops so the need to increase revenue increases so price rises when what attracted this membership initially was the wonderful FREE service it offered.

Its not as though the membership price is a minimal one it is quite steep.

I realise most of the posters here are US based but its also being felt here in the UK
 tbro_44
Msg: 16
Posted: 8/4/2011 7:21:09 AM
IT'S A FREAKIN JOKE.

I SAY WE ALL PROTEST :)

(HOLDING UP SIGN) --- BRING BACK THE ORIG. POF!
 greenzed
Msg: 17
Posted: 8/4/2011 9:52:36 AM
More and more stuff now requires payment - and it isn't exactly cheap either - it'll probably be the 'who viewde me' feature next.
The site is getting less and less user friendly and more like all the other money grabbing ones out there.
 palmer f
Msg: 18
view profile
History
Posted: 8/4/2011 10:18:27 AM
You can just get around it by just going into your sent message tab. In there it still shows you when that person was last online. I guess since I have given that away, I believe that will be fixed and you will not be able to see it there as well.
 greenzed
Msg: 19
Posted: 8/4/2011 10:31:33 AM
Yep, I'm guessing that'll be all sewn up before the end of the day
 Naadirah
Msg: 20
Posted: 8/4/2011 10:40:18 AM
"From what I've noted, if you reply to the email you can see the last online time in your sent box without paying, so in effect, you haven't lost much."

There is a show me hyprlink in the sent box as well.

Maybe, this is to cut down on the "stalking" issues. ;)
 UglyFroggieCritter
Msg: 21
Posted: 8/4/2011 11:03:52 AM
I still have the "Last Online" showing on my "Sent Messages" page (although it shows how much time has passed since the user has been online not an actual time).
 1954Man
Msg: 22
Posted: 8/4/2011 11:05:54 AM
I wonder if all the suggestions about ad blockers and descriptive ways to do them in many posts now might be a possible answer. You can probably bet that Admin isn't the only one reading the forums and that some of the advertisers are as well. I can only imagine how they feel when they pay good money to put in an ad only to find open forum discussions on how to block them. How would you feel if it was you? Its all economics not as many ads means more that users may have to pay for.
 Sarcastic_n_Sweet
Msg: 23
Posted: 8/4/2011 11:06:26 AM

It changed because this "free" site is becoming more like other paying websites to where we have to pay for things that really should be free :-/ Its just another upgrade bonus you get for being a true member...Tomorrow you will have to pay to see a persons profile, just a matter of time before its no longer free.

I certainly hope not! The best feature about POF is that it is free. If it becomes unuseable (a.k.a. I can't see pics or message people), then I would be heading somewhere else. Their main advertisement is that it is a "free" site, so it should technically be free. With no changes coming.
 Maltese_CanadianGuy
Msg: 24
Posted: 8/4/2011 11:23:35 AM
I don't get why they don't just add more paid features instead of taking features away. You wouldn't have people all up in arms about the changes. You cant take features away and expect people to be happy about it. It's ridiculous to have stuff like last online as paid features. I assume next we wont be able to im anyone anymore, maybe after that you cant view pics. They might just be phasing this site into a full blown paid site, and just making the transition slowly.
 HawkingJr
Msg: 25
view profile
History
Posted: 8/4/2011 11:36:21 AM
"it'll probably be the 'who viewde me' feature next"

That'd be quite foolish, because I assume page views still contribute SOME to their revenue, and there's not much question that "viewed me" is the source of a tremendous percentage of their page views. Admittedly, Match uses their "viewed me" to sucker you back in after you leave ("Someone just viewed your profile! Sign up for a membership now to see who it is!"), but Match doesn't care about page views at all -- their only concern is paid memberships. So long ad revenue continues to be a significant contributor to POF's revenue model, they are going to have to do an interesting balancing act between free features that drive page views and paid features that decrease page views but get enough sign-ups to justify those page view losses. When you think about it, "Last Online" and "Sent Status" probably had very little effect on page views -- last online showed up in your inbox that you always have to log onto anyway, while you still have to check your sent folder to make 100% sure your email got sent since "Your Message Was Sent" is sometimes not true -- and even when people could check their sent status without a membership, that was just one click per log-in usually. No big loss.

But "Viewed Me"? Trust me, that sometimes generates many clicks per log-in, even if you don't get any new views during the session, because you still have to check, and if you do have new views, naturally you're going to click on them and check them out (if you're one of the many people that pay attention to your "Viewed Me's" -- some don't, before one of them pipes up). So God knows how many page views they'd lose by making that a pay feature. And I doubt the sign-ups just to see "Viewed Me" would offset the ad revenue lost from the massive plummets in page views. That would be the kind of move that would lead to a mass exodus on top of the lost page views from remaining members who refuse to "upgrade." So I seriously doubt they are considering making "Viewed Me" a paid feature. Nor most* any other feature that generates tons of page views. Unless, they really do decide to become a 100% PAID site and stop caring about page views.

Allison: Well, I did say "or perhaps profit." Obviously the revenue is coming in, maybe more than ever. But I imagine the hiring of staff, building rentals, lawsuits, higher taxes and all manner of other financial headaches they didn't have 3 years ago before all these paid features started coming about have eaten into the profits from those revenues. I mean, they're probably no longer a "cash cow" with online dating being almost saturated at this point. So they have to get more money from those that are already members. At least the "premium membership" now has actual tangible benefits to it -- remember how in the beginning a couple years ago it was just "Buy a premium membership and members of the opposite sex will think you're cool because you have a badge and a highlight?"

* Note that "Hottest Girls That Will Reply" became a paid feature as well recently, yet this obviously generated a substantial number of page views. So that runs counter to my argument. Though it doesn't run counter to my argument in a different thread in which I said most paid features are aimed at men, as women do not have a "Hottest Guys That Will Reply" feature. So... is "Most Attractive" (the supposed female equivalent feature) now pay as well?
Show ALL Forums  > Plentyoffish Site/Suggestions/Help  > Last Online Feature in Inbox is now a pay feature.