Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Science/philosophy  > Atlas Shrugged - The Movie (Part 1)      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 PittsburghVixen
Msg: 1
Atlas Shrugged - The Movie (Part 1)Page 1 of 10    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10)
Part 1 of the three-part movie version of Atlas Shrugged is being released in a limited number of cities on April 15. The trailer and selected scenes are available online. It does not have any big name stars, which I think is better since we can view the characters more as themselves than as Big-Star-Playing-Character. Thankfully IMO, neither Brad Pitt nor Angelina Jolie have anything to do with the production.

I am looking forward to seeing it and hope it comes to my city. There is a "Demand!" button on the movie's website that allows fans to request that it be shown in their area.

Since it took fifty years to make this movie, the book has been updated from the late 1950s to 2016. I don't expect that this will be a huge commercial success, but am eager to see the results of the project.
 PittsburghVixen
Msg: 2
Atlas Shrugged - The Movie (Part 1)
Posted: 3/12/2011 5:14:07 PM
I believe the reason they updated it was because so much of what Rand wrote about is coming true all around us.

The movie will be in theaters April 15 - just not everywhere.
 U make it entertaining
Msg: 3
Posted: 3/12/2011 5:18:11 PM
Right on ... I look forward to seeing it.

That would be great to take my son out with me as he loved the audio.

Hmmm ... nice birthday present for me.
 CMonster
Msg: 4
Posted: 3/12/2011 11:04:18 PM
I believe the reason they updated it was because so much of what Rand wrote about is coming true all around us.

Rand said that the book "takes place the day after tomorrow" which lends itself to what could happen if the things happening today run amok. Even though the premise of the book has been a part of US history many years prior to publication, making the movie a period piece would alienate the masses and only appease the loyalist. Plus putting it in the future shows how timelessness of the premise.

The movie will be in theaters April 15 - just not everywhere.

So far it's slated for selected theaters in California, Colorado, Florida, Illinois,New York and Texas.
 arwen52
Msg: 5
view profile
History
Posted: 3/13/2011 6:25:51 PM
I've never read any of Ayn Rand's writing novels. Is it true that there are no children in them?
 PittsburghVixen
Msg: 6
Posted: 3/13/2011 6:37:31 PM
Some of the adults in Atlas Shrugged and The Fountainhead are briefly portrayed during their childhoods in order to develop the characters' histories. In Atlas Shrugged, there are two children in the Galt's Gulch passages and Rand describes how they are growing up as inquisitive, free and unafraid to explore and discover their world, as she felt they should.

I don't recall children in We the Living or Anthem. The themes of her books deal with politics and philosophy so they really aren't geared for children's characters to advance the plots.
 arwen52
Msg: 7
view profile
History
Posted: 3/14/2011 9:19:56 PM
Well, a friend who read her novels told me he noticed an absence of children. He seemed to think this significant, perhaps because for him they represent a segment of the population that is weak, vulnerable, and needs protection.
 PittsburghVixen
Msg: 8
Posted: 3/14/2011 9:57:05 PM
I don't see it as a significant issue - there isn't really a place for them in the plots, other than what I mentioned. If the major characters had children, there would be too much distraction from the plot lines.

Many major novels are "populated" only by adults, especially if they deal with very adult subjects. Even in LOTR, which many (older) children read, there were no child characters that I can recall, save one - the young son of the captain of the guard in Minas Tirith, who comes to fetch Pippin and take him to the armory to outfit him for his service to Denethor. Same deal with "The Girl Who..." series which I have recently read and loved - kids just don't fit into those plots.
 Cdn_Iceman
Msg: 9
Posted: 3/16/2011 11:48:52 AM
I would love to see the movie, Ive read the book and Fountain head ( the movie version of fountain head sucked)

Its One of my favorite books "Atlas shrugged" and "the Fountain head", Truly believe in her philosophy.
 U make it entertaining
Msg: 10
Posted: 3/16/2011 12:47:21 PM
There is a good trailer that can be viewed at:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6W07bFa4TzM

Hopefully it is playing in Canada.

If not, I know where I will be going when I am down visiting my kids in the States.
 CMonster
Msg: 11
Posted: 3/16/2011 4:04:24 PM
This will be like the book, panned by the "experts", and well recieved by the public.

That's a bit optimistic. I agree that it'll be panned by most critics and I bet the loyalist will be least critical group. There's going to be a bit of nitpicking about the updated dialog and setting.

The most vocal will be the those who profess to understand the philosophy but have never read the book. They'll be the ones who'll use the movie as proof that the people who run companies are evil for wanting to make huge profits despite the fact that they earned it through their own efforts.

Personally, I'm looking forward to actually seeing who shows up to the premier in my city (if it makes it here). We'd give each other a quiet nod and a smile while preparing for the fallout from the critics and the general public.
 arwen52
Msg: 12
view profile
History
Posted: 3/16/2011 10:45:12 PM

I don't see it as a significant issue - there isn't really a place for them in the plots, other than what I mentioned. If the major characters had children, there would be too much distraction from the plot lines.

Not having read any of Rand's books, I wouldn't know this. But if the point (correct me if I'm mistaken) of the novels are to present a view of how society ought to function, then not having children in them would be a significant omission. Is she not a proponent of what people describe as social Darwinism? And if so, where do the weak and vulnerable fit in - children, the elderly, the physically and mentally handicapped, etc. I think that was his point. Excuse me if I'm totally ignorant.
 CMonster
Msg: 13
Posted: 3/17/2011 2:34:20 PM

Do you really think that the powers that be will actually allow "Atlas Shrugged" to be shown in the peoples republic of Minnesota?

I know, I know; when goats fly... (haha).

Stay in touch, I will send you a DVD as soon as they are available..............

Hopefully they'll release the director's cut.
 HalftimeDad
Msg: 14
Posted: 3/17/2011 3:05:12 PM

I remember reading the book in college, and was amazed at some of the things she wrote in it. I also remember that the book was generally panned by those "in the know", most of whom I am certain would vehemently disagree with her philosophy, yet it sold rather well..............

What does that tell you...........

The worst book I've ever finished was the The DaVinci Code. The characters would have needed considerable fleshing out to be 2 dimensional; the plotline could be seen from the first 50 pages if you ever saw a season of Murder She Wrote; the whole "conspiracy" comes out of a long running con game concocted by a Frenchman in the 50's. Yet it dominated the Bestseller lists for years, and millions of people think it's basis is true.

Being able to sell books is hardly indicative of having something of substance.

I've never read her books, but I am familiar with her philosophy. I'm sure the books are good; the philosophy is rubbish.
 HalftimeDad
Msg: 15
Posted: 3/17/2011 4:02:45 PM
Absolutely not!

This is an over simplification, but here goes. Marx saw the evils of Industrial Age capitalism and thought the opposite must be the ultimate good. Rand saw the evils of collectivism and thought the opposite must be the ultimate good. I can understand why they both came to the conclusions they came to, but they were both wrong.

Unfortunately both felt compelled to try to justify their own beliefs by saying that this was inevitable because of the forces of history and human nature. Again, both were wrong.
 PittsburghVixen
Msg: 16
Posted: 3/17/2011 5:32:55 PM
@arwen52: If your friend believes that because the plot line of Atlas Shrugged did not include children, the elderly or disabled folks, therefore Rand was a proponent of social Darwinism - he is missing the point of the book. There's no place for the plot line to take a detour of that sort. However, if you care to find out more, there is a lot of material online, particularly from the Ayn Rand Institute, outlining her philosophy of Objectivism, commentaries on current events and how her ideas would apply to modern life.

If you haven't read any of her work, you're excused for asking the question ;) but to find out more, go to the source - don't take your friend's word for it, NOR mine. Happy reading!
 PittsburghVixen
Msg: 17
Posted: 3/17/2011 7:05:49 PM
@nelsoncohen, Jon Hamm's not in the movie at all.

The guy who runs the Ayn Rand Institute said that he thought they did a pretty good job of sticking to the book, insofar as any movie could. He also said that he thought it would be impossible to do a really superb job at filming the book no matter who the director and actors were and how much was spent on it.

Heck, it took "only" 50+ years to make this happen :P
 PittsburghVixen
Msg: 18
Posted: 3/17/2011 7:20:45 PM
The latest info just updated on showings. I SO need this to be shown in Pittsburgh!

California
Berkeley - Shattuck Cinema, 2230 Shattuck Avenue, Berkeley, CA 94704
San Francisco - San Francisco Centre, 865 Market Street, San Francisco, CA 94103
San Jose - CineArts @ Santana Row, 3088 Olsen Drive, San Jose, CA 95128-2048
San Rafael - Century Regency, 280 Smith Ranch Rd, San Rafael, CA 94903-1927
Santa Ana - Regency South Coast Village, 1561 Sunflower Avenue, Santa Ana, CA 92704
Torrance - Rolling Hills, 2591 Airport Drive, Torrance, CA 90505-6137

Colorado
Aurora - Century 16, 14300 East Alameda Avenue, Aurora, CO 80012-2520
Boulder - Century 16, 1700 29th Street, Boulder, CO 80302
Englewood - UA Greenwood Plaza 12, 8141 East Arapahoe Road, Englewood, CO 80112
Lakewood - UA West Village Stadium 12, 14225 West Colfax Avenue, Lakewood, CO 80401
Westminster - AMC Westminster Promenade 24, 10655 Westminster Blvd, Westminster, CO 80020

Washington D.C. - E Street Cinema, 555 11th Street NW, Washington, DC 20004

Florida
Aventura - Aventura Mall, 19501 Biscayne Boulevard, Aventura, FL 33180
Davie - Cinemark Paradise 24, 15601 Sheridan Street, Davie, FL 33331
Hialeah - Grand 18, 17355 NW 59TH Avenue, Miami Lakes, FL 33015
South Miami - Sunset Place 24, 5701 Sunset Dr # 300, South Miami, FL 33143

Illinois
Chicago - AMC River East 21, 322 East Illinois Street, Chicago, IL 60611
Evanston - Century 12 Evanston & Cine' Arts 6, 1715 Maple Avenue, Evanston, IL 60201
Lincolnshire - Lincolnshire Stadium 20 plus IMAX, 300 Parkway Drive, Lincolnshire, IL 60069
Lombard - Yorktown 17, 80 Yorktown Shopping Center, Lombard, DuPage, IL 60148
Mt Prospect - AMC Randhurst 16, 101 E Euclid Avenue, Mount Prospect, IL 60056
South Barrington - AMC South Barrington 30, 175 Studio Drive, South Barrington, IL 60010
Warrington - Cantera 30, 28250 Diehl Road, Warrenville, IL 60555

Massachusetts
Boston - AMC Loews Boston Commons 19, 175 Tremont Street, Boston, MA 02111
- Regal Fenway Stadium 13 &RPX, 175 Tremont Street, Boston, MA 02111
Cambridge - Kendall Square Cinemas, One Kendall Square, Cambridge, MA 02139
Danvers - AMC Loews Liberty Tree Mall 20, One Kendall Square, Cambridge, MA 02139
Farmingham - AMC Framingham 16, 22 Flutie Pass, Framingham, MA 01701

New Jersey
Clifton - AMC Clifton Commons 16, 405 Route 3 East, Clifton, NJ 07014

New York
New York - Empire 25, 234 W 42nd St, New York, NY 10036-7215
- Regal Union Square Stadium 14, 850 Broadway, New York, NY 10003
West Nyack - AMC Loews Palisades Center 21, 4403 Palisades Center Drive, West Nyack, NY 10994

Pennsylvania
Philadelphia - Ritz 5, 214 Walnut Street, Philadelphia, PA 19106

Texas
Dallas - Studio Movie Grill, 11170 N. Central Expy, Dallas, TX 75243
Fort Worth - West 7th Street Movie Tavern, 2872 Crockett Street, Fort Worth, TX 76107
Plano - Cinemark West Plano, 3800 Dallas Parkway, Plano, TX 75093
Southlake - Harkins Southlake 14, 1450 Plaza Place, Southlake, TX 76092-7664

Washington
Seattle - Metro Cinema, 4500 9th Avenue NE, Seattle, WA 98105

Tennessee
Nashville - Hollywood 27, 719 Thompson Lane, Nashville, TN 37204
 Cdn_Iceman
Msg: 19
Posted: 3/17/2011 7:46:48 PM

I believe that where you are wrong is that marx is wrong from start to finish, and that you are mixing up what Rand ultimately wants with what I call "modern day money changers". These "modern day money changers" have NOTHING to do with capitalism, BUT they are always lumped in the same pot because they both deal with money. If I was in charge, the financial meltdown would have never happened, for two reasons.... ONE, because I would limit purchase of stocks to what money you have....... THATS IT. NO purchase on margin...... NONE. TWO. I would have made certain that the RE lenders only made loans that they could show had an actual chance of getting paid back. THAT would have seen to it that all of the loans that were made in the guise of "getting first time buyers and affordable housing" would have never been made, so there would not have been a problem.Paul K
THIS IS MY NEW HERO.... Paul K.... Grand slam, bingo, touchdown, game over, check mate there is nothing more to be said.... you said it all ...well said Paul K

total thumbs up.
 CMonster
Msg: 20
Posted: 3/18/2011 2:02:03 PM
I believe that where you are wrong is that marx is wrong from start to finish, and that you are mixing up what Rand ultimately wants with what I call "modern day money changers". These "modern day money changers" have NOTHING to do with capitalism, BUT they are always lumped in the same pot because they both deal with money.

I agree to the extent that the Randian money makers don't have anything to do with the **stardized version of Capitalism which everyone now woefully equates to "Big Business." Capitalism is just a means in which Objectivist could fulfill themselves, it's not the end itself.

Unfortunately, until more people make the effort to read "Atlas," they will continue to have an opinion of Rand based on personal bias instead of facts about her beliefs. If they had read the book, it would be difficult for any of them to argue that Richard Halley was out to make a mint on the backs of the downtrodden.
 PittsburghVixen
Msg: 21
Posted: 3/18/2011 6:46:31 PM
Paul, I also hope you are wrong on that aspect, but I suspect that's exactly what will happen. If someone insists on being blind, nothing will entice them to see.

At least Part I is completed and on its way.
 CMonster
Msg: 22
Posted: 3/19/2011 9:02:45 AM
My bet is that most of the people who see the first part will have no understanding of it, and will never see the final two, and will be left with a misunderstanding of what is actually being said.

That's my my gut feeling too. The first movie will pretty much be divided between those who have read the book and those who had not with the pop-media tipping the balance by reporting that after 50 years of attempts to make the movie, this is all there is to show for it? It'll be a no-win situation.

As for the second and third installments, it'll be seen by those who've read the book mostly. Hopefully they'll make something on DVD sales to people who've read the book.
 nipoleon
Msg: 23
view profile
History
Posted: 3/19/2011 1:57:22 PM
From Paul Krugman's blog.
The best summation of the influence of Ayn Rands seminal work.......

There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old’s life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs.

arwen52
Msg: 24
view profile
History
Posted: 3/19/2011 4:53:02 PM
Ayn Rand was a proponet of private enterprise not being controlled by govt., and allowed to do and accomplish.

Didn't we already do that? It was called the 19th century. No safety laws, no Pure Food and Drug Act, no child labor laws, no minimum wage, no restrictions on how many hours you could be made to work, etc. Children worked in factories and mines. (My grandmother was pulled out of school when she was 13 to work in a factory.) Arsenic was put into canned peas to make them appear more green. People worked 10 & 12 hour days, 6 & 7 days a week for slave wages. In the 1930s, air pollution in the city of St. Louis got so bad that the trees were dying. The botanical garden bought a huge tract of land out in the countryside because they thought they were going to have to move. The good old days before government interference.

Well, you might get your wish. They have introduced legislation to get rid of child labor laws in Missouri.

By making it necessary to read the book in order to understand what the movie is all about, you are setting the bar way too high, as half of those that will protest against the movie outside the theaters, can't read to begin with, and those that can, won't because there are no pictures.

A film that requires its audience to read a book in order to view it pretty much defeats its purpose unless it wants a very small audience.

There have been films that have been protested before, often by people who knew very little about the film. "The Last Temptation of Christ" comes to mind. It only drew more attention to the film. Somehow, I find it hard to believe that the film will generate significant protests but if I'm wrong, it will only generate free publicity.
 HalftimeDad
Msg: 25
Posted: 3/19/2011 5:13:15 PM
I really can't see this playing to more than a small audience. I'm guessing it's pretty low budget.

Her message is great for 14 year olds who really get into Rush, but most of us grow up. As Mark Twain said (I'm pretty sure it wasn't Mark Twain, but I can't be bothered to google it), "For every complex problem there is always a simple solution. Which is invariably wrong." It's a philosophy for 14 year boys who discover pot at the same time they are blown away by Neil Pert.
Show ALL Forums  > Science/philosophy  > Atlas Shrugged - The Movie (Part 1)