Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Politics  > White Male Scholarship in Texas      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 mrcs84
Msg: 1
view profile
History
White Male Scholarship in TexasPage 1 of 2    (1, 2)
There are several different articles on the web, but essentially The Former Majority Association for Equality is putting out a scholarship that is aimed at while males. The qualifications include being at least 25% Caucasian, male, and have at least a 3.0 GPA.

Here are a couple links.

http://newstabulous.com/scholarships-for-white-men-only/4013/

http://www.torontosun.com/news/weird/2011/02/28/17439601.html

Personally I have no issue with this idea. I mean pretty much every other social/racial category has a scholarship available to them. I don't see why your typical WASP can't have one as well. Whites men are pretty much considered the devil of society and the root of the problems of every minority class. I think it's about time -someone- took a stand for -true- equality.
 cotter
Msg: 2
view profile
History
White Male Scholarship in Texas
Posted: 3/20/2011 7:51:50 PM

... disagree with the concept of any scholarships based on Race.

So then you'll have some problems with the following?
http://www.blacknews.com/directory/black_african_american_scholarships.shtml
Black Scholarships and Grants
Listings of African American scholarship and financial aid opportunities.

http://www.free-4u.com/chinese_professional_club_of_houston_scholarship.htm
Scholarship List

Here's one that I'd say men might be up in arms about ...

Pell Grants for Moms (Oh dear, it's just for mom ... no daddies allowed?)
http://www.classesandcareers.com/schooldegrees/fusion.php?leadcat=pgmms2-se&CACP=ov.edu_c.se_s.msng_m.mmsch_seg.sn_a.mmsch_ai.ppc551_l-f-1_k.scholarships_mt.p

... the lowering of physical requirements to allow for women to do such jobs as Firefighting.
I know ... that's just awful.

Honestly!!! Where will all end? I've heard they now have women acting just like doctors and pharmacists and they also have women driving trucks and construction heavy equipment. That's just abhorrent ... right?

Hmmm ... they also have "Black history month"! They don't have "White history month", and certainly not "English history month" (no doubt because we left them standing in the dirt and emancipated ourselves from them). But then maybe the reason for not having "English history month" is because they just don't want anyone to have anything nice like that ... just the blacks get that ... right? I wonder why that is? Must be a good reason out there for it ... ya think?

I wonder if the Black Nurses Association would consider letting me join their club?
 Ready4SomethingFun
Msg: 3
view profile
History
Posted: 3/21/2011 3:15:54 PM

I wonder if the Black Nurses Association would consider letting me join their club?

They might let you in, you never know. But, I bet you there isn't a White Nurses Association. That would just be racist.

But beyond that nonsense, there is a reason standards are in place, and to lower them to avoid accusations of racism is eventually going to get someone hurt or killed. As soon as that happens the victim or their family is gonna sue for millions successfully (and as usual taxpayers will foot the bill) and the same people who cried out about the racist group of people holding the minorities back are going to start crying out that the very same group of people aren't meeting the needs and well-being of the community. It's a vicious cycle that can't be won.
 cotter
Msg: 4
view profile
History
Posted: 3/22/2011 5:51:52 PM

... the lowering of physical requirements to allow for women to do such jobs as Firefighting.

I know ... that's just awful.

... standards are in place for a reason.
Ya ... so true. Read below ...

... those who wish to get jobs that have entrance requirements should raise their performance levels to gain admittance.

How dare those "below-standard" women think they should have a place right next to their male co-workers. They really better raise their performance levels if they want to work at the same level as their male co-workers ... right?

I guess that's why I know numerous women (police officers) who can outrun their male co-workers because they don't sport the infamous "beer" gut that the men sport. I know numerous women (firefighters) who can in fact outwork and out-carry their male co-workers ... for the same reason.

They work twice as hard to do what they do just because they have a vagina and not a penis, while those who "sport a penis" just sit back and ... well we already know what they do. Just look at the guts they also sport ... in addition to their penis.

I bet you would feel differently if you were Caucasian and need of financial assistance ...
I AM Caucasian and I found financial assistance ... 30 years after graduating from high school, when I went to school to become a nurse. They paid for everything but my lab fees and my books.

Men qualify for the same funds and no one asks what race they are ... so even Caucasian men can easily qualify for those funds.

They just have to be SMART enough to do the research and find those funds ...
 mrcs84
Msg: 5
view profile
History
Posted: 3/23/2011 12:51:20 PM

How dare those "below-standard" women think they should have a place right next to their male co-workers. They really better raise their performance levels if they want to work at the same level as their male co-workers ... right?

Correction....how dare those women who aren't capable to complete the tasks required to SAVE PEOPLES LIVES be next to those male co-workers are -are- capable of completing such tasks. If a woman is able to complete the tasks, then more power to her. If she's not, then she shouldn't be there. It's not like there aren't men who want to become firefighters but can't make it either.

I guess that's why I know numerous women (police officers) who can outrun their male co-workers because they don't sport the infamous "beer" gut that the men sport. I know numerous women (firefighters) who can in fact outwork and out-carry their male co-workers ... for the same reason.

This is both a small sample fallacy and irrelevant.

Are WASPy scholarships really your vision of equality?

No. they're not my -vision- but I think it's a step in the right direction.

And again, if they are, it's time YOU tood a stand for "true" equality, no? Why should it be someone else and NOT you?

So I start a discussion, and all of a sudden the burden should be on me to create a social transition. Man, I have a lot more power than I thought I did.
 .dej
Msg: 6
view profile
History
Posted: 3/23/2011 3:28:49 PM

They work twice as hard to do what they do just because they have a vagina and not a penis, while those who "sport a penis" just sit back and ... well we already know what they do. Just look at the guts they also sport ... in addition to their penis.

Marine Corps Physical Fitness Test (PFT):

Males, for perfect score:
Pull-ups: One repetition consists of raising the body with the arms until the chin is above the bar, and then lowering the body until the arms are fully extended; repeat the exercise. At no time during the execution of this event can a Marine rest his chin on the bar. A perfect score will be 20 pull-ups.
Abdominal Crunch: The arms will be folded across the chest or rib cage with no gap existing between the arms and chest/rib cage. Both arms must remain in constant contact with chest/rib cage throughout the exercise. A single repetition consists of raising the upper body from the starting position until both forearms or elbows simultaneously touch the thighs, and then returning to the starting position with the shoulder blades touching the deck. A perfect score will be 100 crunches.
3 mile run: On the command to start, the two Marines monitoring the event will start their watches simultaneously when the last Marine passes the starting point. The Command PT Representative will remain at the start/finish and the other monitor will take the safety vehicle (with communication capabilities) to the halfway point. Monitors will call out the split or finishing time as appropriate, as each Marine passes. A perfect score will be 18 minutes or less.

Males for minimal passing:
Pull-ups: 3
Crunches: 50
3 mile run: 28 minutes

Females, for perfect score:
Flexed arm hang: The correct starting position begins when the Marine’s arms are flexed at the elbow, the chin is held above the bar and not touching it, and the body is motionless. At no time during the execution of this event can a Marine rest her chin on the bar. A perfect score is 70 seconds.
Abdominal crunch: The arms will be folded across the chest or rib cage with no gap existing between the arms and chest/rib cage. Both arms must remain in constant contact with chest/rib cage throughout the exercise. A single repetition consists of raising the upper body from the starting position until both forearms or elbows simultaneously touch the thighs, and then returning to the starting position with the shoulder blades touching the deck. A perfect score will be 100 crunches.
3 mile run: Same procedure as males. A perfect score will be 21 minutes or less.

Females, for minimal passing:
Flexed arm hang: 15 seconds
Crunches: 50
3 mile run: 31 minutes.

That's right. Instead of having to do a taxing, physically demanding pullup, a female Marine Corps recruit need only cling to the bar for a few seconds. In the running category, a female gets an extra minute per mile.

Ignoring the blatantly sexist generalizations you make: What's that about working twice as hard just because they lack a penis?

I'll eat my hat if you can find a single woman my age who can outscore me on the Marine Corps PFT if we're both competing on the male version of the test. It's neutered to allow women a handicap. Actually, you probably can't find one of any age. And that's not their fault. Women are physiologically incapable of physically performing to the same standards as men.

Men qualify for the same funds and no one asks what race they are ... so even Caucasian men can easily qualify for those funds.

Not only are there more scholarship opportunities for minorities, but typically graduate schools accept typically under-performing minorities (read: not Asian nor Jewish) at higher rates, despite having lower standardized test scores and GPAs.

http://blog.vdare.com/archives/2009/03/28/medical-school-test-scores-gpas-and-acceptance-rates-by-race/

Here's one that I'd say men might be up in arms about ...

Pell Grants for Moms (Oh dear, it's just for mom ... no daddies allowed?)
http://www.classesandcareers.com/schooldegrees/fusion.php?leadcat=pgmms2-se&CACP=ov.edu_c.se_s.msng_m.mmsch_seg.sn_a.mmsch_ai.ppc551_l-f-1_k.scholarships_mt.p

You've managed to hit a new low. Seriously, it's like there's no bottom for you to hit.

You actually cited a targeted spam advertisement as an argument. Pell Grants are government educational grants. The site you cited is basically a head-hunter for for-profit online colleges trying to get students to cash in on government grants and spend it on them. Pell grants cannot be targeted only at men, nor women, nor mothers, nor fathers. Do you even read what you're posting?
 cotter
Msg: 7
view profile
History
Posted: 3/23/2011 7:40:51 PM

Seriously, it's like there's no bottom for you to hit.

Just keeping you on your toes since I know you will comb through any post I make just to see if you can find fault with it. Are there any other usual posters that you follow so closely? Man you really need to get a different hobby!!!! Oh well ... everyone has to have a hobby ... right? LMAO

Pell grants cannot be targeted only at men, nor women, nor mothers, nor fathers. Do you even read what you're posting?
Of course I do.

And of course I know exactly what Pell Grants are. I used the program to go through nursing school.
... 30 years after graduating from high school, when I went to school to become a nurse. They paid for everything but my lab fees and my books.

LMAO ... points awarded for stalking and criticizing any post I make
 .dej
Msg: 8
view profile
History
Posted: 3/23/2011 8:41:37 PM

Just keeping you on your toes since I know you will comb through any post I make just to see if you can find fault with it. Are there any other usual posters that you follow so closely? Man... (etc... continuing on while not responding on topic)

Okay, as long as you've dropped the "but men have it so easy compared to women!" thing, I guess we're square here.

By the bye, I had read what you wrote in someone else's quote box, had copied it in order to respond, and was looking for the original post to make sure I got in context before I even knew it was yours. It's not my fault that you so consistently write such consistently wrong things that are so straightforward to address (punctuated of course by completely inappropriate and illogical smiley icons).

Unfortunately there continue to be areas where blatant hate and racism is pervasive and oppressive - we have come an awfully long way but there is still a lot of work to do. It doesn't do anyone any good to deny what goes on simply because it does not mirror one's own personal experience. If you are unaware, educate yourself instead of burying your head in the sand simply to be able to play the victim.

I agree to an extent. There is still a lot of racism in attitude, but I do not agree that it is so institutionalized now. I think we have had a bit of a rubber band effect in that sense (pardon my stealing the analogy from the climate debate), and have swung the other way . I do not in any way feel like I've been made a victim (I took loans out and got into college via high test scores), but the numbers play out to say that institutions are begging to be "diverse" these days, to the point where standards imposed on traditional hardship minorities are significantly and measurably more lax than they are on others (like Asians, Jews, and whites).

If you get a job as a black woman (the epitome of hardship minority) in government, there's pretty much nothing you can do to get fired. If anyone so much as brings up poor performance, the mere threat of an EEO claim is enough to be bulletproof. It happens at almost every level. (Though I say "government", this effect is not really so noticeable in the military, though being a minority can be a selling point for promotion.)

Hell even the president gets a defense of everyone lashing out at anyone critical of the president as just hating black people. It's very tough to make a thorough criticism (and there are a lot of them) of President Obama's policies without at least a few people chiming in saying "oh you just can't handle a black guy being president" or something similar. You see that frequently on these forums.
 .dej
Msg: 10
view profile
History
Posted: 3/25/2011 5:45:44 PM
You do realize that fitness tests are designed to ensure that both men and women are performing at an optimal level of fitness based on the physical makeup of their respective bodies.

Sort of my point, I think. If we're looking at a job requires a human being to perform a very physical task (like, oh, I don't know, carry a pack, rifle, radio, and ammunition into a gunfight and survive), shouldn't the test basically cover roughly the same things to the same extents? Why is a woman allowed to run the same distance in more time? The test isn't about how spirited you are in gym class, it's about "can you pick that up, run for cover, and adequately accomplish a critical task when lives are on the line?". A bullet doesn't travel slower when it's fired at a woman.

your position that the differences between the 2 tests are some sort of "proof" of superiority of men is silly.

I don't know whose post you read to write this response, but it couldn't have been mine. I was responding to a post that dissented to a post claiming women should be held to the same standards as men, and claimed the women outperform men in physical jobs like firefighter, cop, and soldier because men have a beer belly or something stupid like that. I never claimed the superiority of men, especially not in a general sense.

I am sure that someone could design a test that would put men in a position of "inferior" strength if they catered more to things like balance, fine motor skills and dexterity, areas that women "traditionally" excel at.

I also am sure of such a thing. However, that wouldn't be a test used to determine if a prospective recruit could pick up and carry a man-sized person to safety under duress, would it? And you don't see men clamoring for a handicap in such tests so they can be equally represented in jobs that require such skills, do you?

It never fails that the argument always comes back to physical strength as some sort of end all proof.

The argument did not "come back" to physical strength. The argument was made by "cotter" (or should we say implied, since it's tough as usual to tell what she's actually arguing) that women outperform men, and must perform at a higher level physically than men do for the same respect. You don't have to point out to me that such an argument is already flawed in its logic, before even trying to look at its factual basis. I know this. But I instead focused on the factual errors because if I do anything else she accuses me of making fun of her because I don't like her, not because of her scattered thought processes.
 HalftimeDad
Msg: 11
Posted: 3/26/2011 9:20:47 AM
I'm kind of an agnostic on these issues.

I do believe there are times when standards may have to be lowered to get balances into certain areas. When we had the Air India bombing here we were hampered by the dearth of Punjabi police officers. I think a police force should roughly reflect the overall population, just to make investigations and policing effective. That's one example.

There are other times when I don't think they're appropriate. Firefighters were brought up. A number of years ago in the southeast of this province there was a dedicated volunteer woman firefighter who couldn't meet the physical minimums to become full time. It went to the Human Rights Commission and they ruled in her favour. The problem is that these requirement came in as the result of a coroner's inquest into the death of a firefighter. The rule was that a firefighter should be able to carry a colleague out of a burning building if necessary. That's not an unreasonable requirement given the nature of the job.

I really think each case needs to assessed separately. You can't make blanket rules.
 Imported_labor
Msg: 12
Posted: 3/26/2011 2:31:59 PM
Since this topic has gone into a discussion about lowering standards, I am inclined to chime in this important topic. It seems as if for some posters the only lowering of standards that they oppose are those related to physical strength. I am wondering if the lowering of other standards are ok. with them. Any person wanting to give solid evidence that in many institutions requiring intellectual and moral standards there is a lot of corruption, and exceptions are made to accomodate those who meet the physical strength standards, wouldn't have to spend a lot of time searching for the information.

Another thing that it is interesting to consider is how those physical strength standards are relaxed for those who got in some time ago. Seeing that there are quite a few firefighters and policemen that are obviously overweight leads me to ask, when do the standards of physical strength cease to apply? Why aren't those who don't meet the standards dismissed from the important positions for which they don't qualify due to their poor physical shape?

It seems as if the physical strength standards aren't that important for those who are supposed to be in charge of upholding the standards. I wonder why?

What about the other standards? Is it ok. to be mentally and morally deficient as long as you are in good physical shape?

I do believe there are times when standards may have to be lowered to get balances into certain areas.

I would tend to agree with that idea because it seems very rational, but we should also be aware that there are dangers associated with it. The negative consequences could be devastating.

I was thinking about those criminal soldiers being tried for killing civilians in Afghanistan. I'm sure those soldiers were in good physical shape, but how was it that our country recruited these criminal morons to wear the uniform of the USA military. With soldiers like those we will never win the hearts and minds necessary to succeed in a conflict. So I searched a bit and I found this interesting article, which I will quote briefly and post the link.

Dumb and Dumber
The U.S. Army lowers recruitment standards … again.

By Fred Kaplan

The Army is lowering recruitment standards to levels not seen in at least two decades, and the implications are severe—not only for the future of the Army, but also for the direction of U.S. foreign policy.

The latest statistics—compiled by the Defense Department. and obtained through the Freedom of Information Act by the Boston-based National Priorities Project—are grim. They show that the percentage of new Army recruits with high-school diplomas has plunged from 94 percent in 2003 to 83.5 percent in 2005 to 70.7 percent in 2007. (The Pentagon's longstanding goal is 90 percent.)

The percentage of what the Army calls "high-quality" recruits—those who have high-school diplomas and who score in the upper 50th percentile on the Armed Forces' aptitude tests—has declined from 56.2 percent in 2005 to 44.6 percent in 2007.

In order to meet recruitment targets, the Army has even had to scour the bottom of the barrel. There used to be a regulation that no more than 2 percent of all recruits could be "Category IV"—defined as applicants who score in the 10th to 30th percentile on the aptitude tests. In 2004, just 0.6 percent of new soldiers scored so low. In 2005, as the Army had a hard time recruiting, the cap was raised to 4 percent. And in 2007, according to the new data, the Army exceeded even that limit—4.1 percent of new recruits last year were Cat IVs.

These trends are worrisome in at least four ways.

the complete article is found at this link:
http://www.slate.com/id/2182752/
 Dateless
Msg: 13
view profile
History
Posted: 6/2/2012 4:36:22 PM
You have 2 be the most abnoxious ***hole I and any other female arrriving onto this website are in agreement with!
 Imported_labor
Msg: 14
Posted: 6/3/2012 6:38:25 AM

You have 2 be the most abnoxious ***hole I and any other female arrriving onto this website are in agreement with!

Well, thanks!!! I think?
 Stray__Cat
Msg: 15
Posted: 6/4/2012 7:35:45 PM
Well as to the topic,
I am philosophical.

In that I think the greatest effort should go to the greatest need.

As a Texan,
I can honestly say Texas(and Texans) can be quite backwards at times.
so there is a very big obvious need.

Maybe with more scholarships thrown into the mix,
we will finally solve our own problems
instead of blaming em on others in other states.
Show ALL Forums  > Politics  > White Male Scholarship in Texas