Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > California  > First time traveler. Going to Europe      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 sd_matt
Msg: 1
First time traveler. Going to EuropePage 1 of 1    
Hi all

I'll be going to Europe ( probably Spain and U.K.) this year. I'm looking for suggestions concerning doing it solo or using a travel agency, how to find a good hotel for the price, or do I go to a hostel, how to avoid the tourist spots. I'll be going for about a week and a half. I allotted a two week vacation so I figure that gives me about a week and a half of actual time on foreign soil.

Thanks for your input
 North_of_Polaris
Msg: 2
First time traveler. Going to Europe
Posted: 4/2/2011 4:40:29 AM
Holy crap! A time traveler!

There's good music festivals out there.
 krusher74
Msg: 3
view profile
History
Posted: 4/8/2011 5:38:39 AM
here is a good uk site for you. http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/travel/cheap-hotels
 TheManOfTheHouse
Msg: 4
Posted: 5/11/2011 8:18:13 PM
I am thinking you are on a budget, and want to avoid the tourist traps see something different from what you are used to. Just my thought, you might want to avoid anything in the Anglo-sphere (English speaking). Canada, UK, Australia and New Zealand. To much like here and of coarse not cheap. The USA is great, jump in your car and go to all kinds of great places, yet all very familiar and all the same attitudes.
Spain is good and don't forget Portugal, my Columbia friend thinks Portugal is the greatest. When we go to visit his relatives in Columbia it all good and lots of fun too. There is so many great places that are much cheaper and the lifestyles are very different from here.
I don't think you will regret.
 truffleshuff
Msg: 5
Posted: 6/22/2011 2:36:54 AM
Hey! You'll have so much fun traveling. I really think you could pull the trip off on your own with a bit of imagination instead of going to a travel agency. I've always used www.tripadvisor.com for tips on places to go, restaurants to eat, places to photograph, and the biggest tourist spots (so you can avoid them) along with every other category available. I'm not sure about the lodging arrangements - it's completely up to your preferences if you would like to stay in a hostel sort of environment or not. But really, tripadvisor is a great site to check out.
 Lifesaadventure
Msg: 6
Posted: 6/26/2011 10:43:07 AM
Hi I am English and just got back from the UK I also used to live in Spain for a while, I would strongly suggest that you go it alone and no pre-booked hotels etc.. the reason is if you book ahead and find out that you want to stay in a place longer then you antisipated you are stuck and commited, plus all the best place are not advertised, you will find that you might be sitting in a little Taverna and they have a room for B & B or know someone local that has!!
If you want to stay away from the tourist spots then live the life of a local drink in the family bars get to know the natives they will tell you where to go and where to avoid.

What part of Spain are you thinking of going too!!

Good Luck have fun and stay safe.
Show ALL Forums  > California  > First time traveler. Going to Europe