Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Politics  > If you could do it again: Would you vote for Obama Today?      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 The Ogre of POF
Msg: 1
If you could do it again: Would you vote for Obama Today?Page 1 of 22    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22)
We have had Mr. Obama in the White House for 2 years now, and a good chance to see what will transpire with him as president in comparison to his campaign promises. I'm not going to list it all in the OP as I don't want to narrow this to just one topic, but rather his presidency as a whole so far.

Know what has transpired over the past 2 years, if you could go back in time with that knowledge and cast your vote over, would you vote for Mr. Obama to become President of the United States or not? Why?

**This could become a very heated topic, let's try to keep it on topic as it can be very interesting with such a broad topic.
 raxarsr
Msg: 3
view profile
History
If you could do it again: Would you vote for Obama Today?
Posted: 3/25/2011 9:48:31 PM
a huge and resounding NO
 wisguyingb
Msg: 4
Posted: 3/25/2011 10:19:38 PM
I never voted for Obama and will not in any future elections. You could tell he was a fraud from the get go. That being said I do find it surprising how surprised some people are that the whole hope and change thing along with a bunch of promises to do this and that have gone anywhere. At first this guy was a "hero" to many people out there and sadly most of those people are finding out that their Hero is nothing more then a silver tongued politican.......
 HalftimeDad
Msg: 5
Posted: 3/25/2011 10:25:17 PM
Clearly the responses here are from people who didn't much like him in the first place.

But I'm curious as to what promises he's supposed to have reneged on. The one clear plank in his platform was a health care plan. He didn't get the one he campaigned on, but he did try to get it passed. And he got something. I saw a list a while ago of his campaign promises, and he had fulfilled more than half of them.

I understand that you don't like him, but he is doing what he told the voters he would do.
 wisguyingb
Msg: 6
Posted: 3/25/2011 10:43:50 PM
Thought he was gonna close Gitmo within 1 year?

Thought he was gonna re-work or get America out of Nafta?

Thought he was gonna end the income tax for seniors who make less then 50K?

Thought he was gonna let the public read bills online for 5 days before signing them into law?

Thought he was not gonna hire any lobbyist's?
 CMonster
Msg: 7
Posted: 3/25/2011 11:26:22 PM

Thought he was gonna let the public read bills online for 5 days before signing them into law?

Thought he was not gonna hire any lobbyist's?

Can't fault the guy for wanting to do those things. Now believing he could do those things within our current system of government within one term? That's stretching the "Yes we can" message quite a bit.

But hey, he's just a another politician and he said what he had to in order to get into office. "Yes we can?" Someone should have asked "How?"
 HalftimeDad
Msg: 9
Posted: 3/26/2011 8:43:50 AM
I understand that you don't like government programs in general - you're a small government guy.

But he did campaign on health care. You can't say he surprised anyone with it. He also has done a reasonably good job on the economy. When he came in people were talking about another Great Depression; two of the big three auto makers nearly shut down in his first few months; banks were on the verge of collapse. The economy isn't booming, but things are a whole lot better.

As far as China's currency: you and I both remember how long it took, over several administrations, to get Japan to re value its currency. It won't happen quickly.
 Imported_labor
Msg: 10
Posted: 3/26/2011 10:12:25 AM
I voted for the man, and if the next election was today I would have no other choice than voting for Obama again!

I would never, ever vote for a Republican. Just think of the Republican presidents of the last 50 years: Nixon, Ford, Reagan, Bush 1 and Bush 2. I leave Ford out of it because he was an accidental president, but all the others were one disaster worse than the previous one. What a sorry bunch!

You got to think of elections, not as an abstract exercise, but a real time decision. In the last election there was no other choice. The Republican team couldn't have been any worse for the situation the country was in, and I'm glad the majority of Americans saw it the same way as I did.

Imagine how many nukes McCain would have drop, or threatening to drop on Gaddafy if he didn't do what McCain would tell him to do! And visualize who would be one heartbeat away from the buttons if McCain would collapse and die in one of his famous rage tantrums when things don't go his way! Yup, yup, I think that we are much better off with Obama.

And lastly, I have to vote for Obama because there is no other choice today. Just tell me, who is the Republican candidate? You see, what I mean. There is no other choice than Obama!

Thought he was gonna let the public read bills online for 5 days...............

Well, I am glad that I live in the United States, and the president isn't a dictator. He has to work with the politicians of both house in Congress in order to get things done. In this country nothing is done easily. Every politician wants something for his/her district, (or for himself/herself) when it comes to passing legislation. The president by himself can't do much to change anything right away. The responsibility for some of the things that the president can't get done rest squarely on politicians of his own party. The people need to elect Democratic or independent politicians that would work with the president if they want to get those things done.
 CMonster
Msg: 11
Posted: 3/26/2011 11:13:25 AM

And lastly, I have to vote for Obama because there is no other choice today. Just tell me, who is the Republican candidate? You see, what I mean. There is no other choice than Obama!

I think that this is the real meat of the problem regardless of the political party thus the selection of the lesser evil. What exasperates the problem is the mass media depicting one party as evil and the other as not. I'm not saying that they're saying the other party is great, it's just that it isn't evil.

In selecting the "non evil" entity, people find reasons to justify why that party is better. Unfortunately, there is little operational precedence which shows that their plan can work without implementing radical, costly plans.

For example take a look at the operation at Guantanamo Bay. Good gosh that is a terrible system operationally but consider the President's promise to close it down, WITHIN A YEAR! HOW??!!! What do we do with the detainees? How do we better the methods of investigating them? How much will it cost to make these changes?

How can a politically experienced man make such a statement and expect it to work in the current climate? Quite easily because he's in a party which "isn't evil" and people will vote for him for that reason alone. Damn rationally considering how anyone could do that and blow off asking him how he plans on doing it. He's not in the other party and he said "Yes we can" and that seemed good enough for the majority of people in the US.

The "evil party" may be far from perfect but at least they tell you how they plan on enacting change. Perhaps that's their downfall. They tell you what they want to change, they tell you how they plan on making the change, people get a chance to disagree and they vote for the opposition. Perhaps if the evil party wouldn't say how the change would be made such like the other party, they may better their chances.
 The Ogre of POF
Msg: 13
Posted: 3/26/2011 12:27:59 PM
I'm curious here NotWantedInMostStates. What opposition did he have for the first 2 years? Wasn't it a Democratic Majority in both houses during his first 2 years? And didn't pretty much, the entire Democratic party run under his platform? (Apologize if I'm wrong here.)

So, what was the opposition if the Democrats controlled both house and the White House?
 IgorFrankensteen
Msg: 14
view profile
History
Posted: 3/26/2011 12:55:44 PM
I was all set to vote for McCain, when he was campaigning for the Republican nomination the FIRST time he tried for it. I liked what he claimed to stand for, and how he explained hos choices. But by the time he was running with Palin, he had sold out completely to the Bushites he had earlier spoken against. I felt I could no longer trust him to lead in the direction I wanted things to go.
I was afraid that in Obama, we'd have yet another well-meaning, but inexperienced President, who was ineffectual because of that inexperience. But I voted for him, because he promised a different direction than the "what ever makes rich people happy" approach the entire Republican seemed to be bent on.
I've been disappointed by a number of things, other than what I feared. I was NOT disappointed about the Gitmo thing. He didn't do what he said he would there, but then I didn't really want him to just blindly shut it down and send the prisoners all home, or put them all in American Prisons anyway.
I wasn't disappointed about the economic stimulus, since HE DIDN'T START IT, THE REPUBLICANS DID (which they promptly forgot). People who complain that Obama or the Democrats are responsible for the big companies and banks getting a free hand out, that was turned into bonuses for the top guys who CREATED the economic mess, have managed to forget or ignore that it was the Republican controlled government who mailed those checks, and that the Democrats couldn't have stopped them or changed the way the agreements were set up, even if they wanted to. I don't pat the Dems on the back about that either, mind you.
I've been very disappointed that Obama hasn't stood up and spoken out for the things he DID claim to stand for. That he accepted the Republican demand to continue rewarding the ultimate rich with tax breaks that the ORIGINAL Republican plan stated were TO BE only temporary.
When Bush "the first" was Pres, I was upset with HIM, because after talking a big game about wanting to be remembered as "the Education President," he never even got around to making a single major speech to promote education. Bush II did what Republicans kept saying they didn't WANT done anywhere, which was to quantize things like education, and turn them into number factory calculations.
Given what I know now, I really don't know who I would have voted for last time. Because McCain HAD sold out so thoroughly to the wrong parts of the GOP (in order to get the nomination), I only know he would have done something to stop the use of torture that the Bush people started. I don't have any idea if he could have done any better about the economy, since I believe that is mostly beyond the HELP of politicians (though I am QUITE confident they can make it much worse, and the GOP is trying to do JUST that, now, for purely partisan reasons).
Next election? It all depends on who is running. Obama versus Palin would have one result, Obama versus some of the extremists who have already put their hats into the ring would be another. If Mitt Romney runs again, I might be tempted to vote for him, because he seemed relatively rational.
But that's the key for the future: who will the GOP run against him? If they run a solid, open, even handed guy, I will likely go for him, UNLESS the rest of the Party is acting like avenging angels, out to destroy the other half of the country. If they offer me a nutcase to appeal to what the GOP think the Tea Party is all about, and to get Rush Limbaugh to help them, then I might be forced to choose Obama again.
 .dej
Msg: 15
view profile
History
Posted: 3/26/2011 8:33:50 PM

Can't really fault that reasoning.

Obama is one smart mother. Well educated. Integrity. Rarely do we get that in politics. With him, I can sleep well at night.

I really don't know why people say this about him.

With the current economic crisis, the US goverment was pooping its pants. We were in serious jeopardy of experiencing another great depression. On Obama's watch, that didn't happen. Nor did he invade any countries based upon some bullshirt excuses.

A monkey in office would've had roughly the same effect.
 The Ogre of POF
Msg: 16
Posted: 3/26/2011 8:36:04 PM

On Obama's watch, that didn't happen. Nor did he invade any countries based upon some bullshirt excuses.

That didn't happen? What about Libya? I've yet to see a good reason we're there beyond oil. Scream all you want about human rights but we have NEVER stepped up to help Nigeria with all the slaughtering of civilians that has taken place there.
 Imported_labor
Msg: 17
Posted: 3/27/2011 4:12:05 AM

On Obama's watch, that didn't happen. Nor did he invade any countries based upon some bullshirt excuses.

That didn't happen? What about Libya? I've yet to see a good reason we're there beyond oil.

I didn't know that Obama had "invaded" Libya. I know that the president ordered some strategic bombing of Libyan facilities in order to implement the no-fly zone authorized by the United Nations, but I haven't heard of any American military divisions landing on Libyan territory to invade that country. Do you have a source for your a post?

And you say that the US invaded Libya for oil? You mean, just like the US invaved Iraq under G.W. Bush? Man, I would really like to lay my eyes on your sources!
 trinity818
Msg: 18
Posted: 3/27/2011 8:16:01 AM

Imagine how many nukes McCain would have drop, or threatening to drop on Gaddafy if he didn't do what McCain would tell him to do!

You don't really believe this, do you? It's a bit extreme.

I was all set to vote for McCain, when he was campaigning for the Republican nomination the FIRST time he tried for it. I liked what he claimed to stand for, and how he explained hos choices. But by the time he was running with Palin, he had sold out completely to the Bushites he had earlier spoken against. I felt I could no longer trust him to lead in the direction I wanted things to go.

This quote from Igor above...is how I feel as well. That and the fact that I find Palin to be very scary. The very idea of her being the vice-president was enough to change my mind.

I might vote for Obama today. It depends on who the other choice is. That's the same thing I told the wingnut who called me last week from the Republican Party. He took offense when I said I vote my conscience not my party. I ended up hanging up on him.
 .dej
Msg: 19
view profile
History
Posted: 3/27/2011 9:56:09 AM

Scream all you want about human rights but we have NEVER stepped up to help Nigeria with all the slaughtering of civilians that has taken place there.

True. Both democratic and republican administrations cherry pick the international conflicts to get involved with.

Uh. No. The UN voted to block intervention in Rwanda. Not Nigeria. The UN did vote to intervene in Libya.

This quote from Igor above...is how I feel as well. That and the fact that I find Palin to be very scary. The very idea of her being the vice-president was enough to change my mind.

Ditto. That was my tipping point as well. Woman's crazy.

I might vote for Obama today. It depends on who the other choice is. That's the same thing I told the wingnut who called me last week from the Republican Party. He took offense when I said I vote my conscience not my party. I ended up hanging up on him.

It's not looking good. I've not given up hope, but I suspect we're screwed for another 4 years.
 hard starboard
Msg: 20
view profile
History
Posted: 3/27/2011 10:14:04 AM

I didn't know that Obama had "invaded" Libya. I know that the president ordered some strategic bombing of Libyan facilities in order to implement the no-fly zone authorized by the United Nations, but I haven't heard of any American military divisions landing on Libyan territory to invade that country.

You are arguing semantics.
 The Ogre of POF
Msg: 21
Posted: 3/27/2011 11:44:42 AM
Really?? There is a difference between occupying a country versus a no-fly-zone designed to prevent a dictator from killing his own people.

Really? Would you like to challenge that? Let's go back in time. Iraq vs. Kuwait. I was there. We sent in the planes and then followed up with occuppying forces to drive Iraq back.

Iraq today: We opened up with air bombings and strategic missiles fired from ships to take out their Anti-Aircraft and disrupt their logistics before moving in with ground forces.

Afghanistan: We again hit the mountains with air strikes before teaming up with Afghanistan Military to take our ground forces in.

Vietnam, Korea and we can keep going. In today's world, if the US wants to invade another country the weapon of choice every time is Air Strikes via Bomber planes and/or missiles launched off US Navy ships. Why? Because it helps you do massive damage to the enemy forces with minimal risk to your own troops. 1 pilot & 1 radioman are far more expendable the 30k troops marching in without the Air Strikes taking place prior. And last time I checked, it was confirmed by all interest parties that ground forces will follow the US Air Strikes in Libya and occuppy it to protect the people of Libya.

Curious, NotWantedInMostStates. If Libya showed up and started running 100's of air strikes a day in Tennessee, would you say they aren't invading because they don't have any ground troops yet? What about the pilot & radio man who ejected and landed in Libya? Once out of the plane, they are ground forces, that's at least 2 troops that were at one point occuppying a part of Libya.

The term "No Fly Zone" is as big a joke today as "Police Action" was in Vietnam. Come on, you know that's just semantics and nothing else. As far as it being for oil goes, take the oil out of Libya, quit effecting the pocketbooks of western nations and watch what happens to the "No Fly Zone" & "Humanitarian Efforts" in Libya.
 IgorFrankensteen
Msg: 22
view profile
History
Posted: 3/27/2011 1:29:37 PM
" What about the pilot & radio man who ejected and landed in Libya? Once out of the plane, they are ground forces, that's at least 2 troops that were at one point occuppying a part of Libya."
You really are stretching semantics to try to force your version of things here. And yes, IF Libya bombed Tennessee, but put no troops on the ground, I would STILL say it is NOT an invasion.
Why is it so important to you to define the Libyan mess as an invasion? What's your point? Why do you NEED it to be called an invasion to object to it? Could you clarify that?
 .dej
Msg: 23
view profile
History
Posted: 3/27/2011 1:41:49 PM

What about the pilot & radio man who ejected and landed in Libya? Once out of the plane, they are ground forces, that's at least 2 troops that were at one point occuppying a part of Libya.

Heh.

That's a... you're not serious, right?
 Imported_labor
Msg: 24
Posted: 3/27/2011 3:12:37 PM

I didn't know that Obama had "invaded" Libya. I know that the president ordered some strategic bombing of Libyan facilities in order to implement the no-fly zone authorized by the United Nations, but I haven't heard of any American military divisions landing on Libyan territory to invade that country.

You are arguing semantics

Believe it or not, the meaning of words is important when discussing certain topics, otherwise we end up just talking bullsh.t, like the post I was responding to. Thanks to other posters I don't think that I have to waist anybody else's time responding to nonsensical rants.

And last time I checked, it was confirmed by all interest parties that ground forces will follow the US Air Strikes in Libya and occuppy it to protect the people of Libya.

Like I said before, please share your sources of information. Otherwise I will just continue to believe that you are just talking bulsh.t.

Imagine that I accept your definition of limited bombing as "invasion" and
"occupation," then you would have to accept that we need to add another failure to the Reagan's list of bungled adventures. If I remember correctly, Reagan ordered the bombing against Gaddafy in the 80's, and the guy it is still standing. Maybe Obama will do a better job in getting rid of him!
 .dej
Msg: 25
view profile
History
Posted: 3/27/2011 3:15:53 PM
I haven't heard anywhere that there are plans for occupation forces to move into Libya. Also, the UN mandate authorizing the no-fly zone specifically bans occupation forces.

Maybe Obama will do a better job in getting rid of him!

The Libyans are getting rid of him. NATO is just tilting the playing field back towards the middle so they have a chance.
 Imported_labor
Msg: 26
Posted: 3/27/2011 3:39:19 PM
^^^^^^ Thank you!

It is good to read something that reveals current and valid information.

I agree that the Libyan people is the force that needs to get rid of Gaddafy. Hopefully by doing so they will appreciate how important is to live in freedom and will institute a democratic government.
 flyguy51
Msg: 27
Posted: 3/27/2011 9:55:38 PM
I'd vote for Obama again. I didn't expect him to be a transformational president; I just expected him to be better than the previous president and the McCain/Palin combo. It took me a long time (emmbarrassingly so) to admit to myself that Gore would have been a better POTUS than Bush. However, I have not had the same sense about McCain-- I definitely agree with Igor's stance on that candidacy. Also, this time for any president has been a real shiite sandwich to chow down on. As for unfulfilled promises, show me any prez who can stand under the scrutiny of his own campaign claims-- especially after the first 2 years.

This could become a very heated topic, let's try to keep it on topic as it can be very interesting with such a broad topic.

Ironic when one considers who started the "new direction" for this thread.
 .dej
Msg: 28
view profile
History
Posted: 3/28/2011 10:42:41 AM

Hopefully by doing so they will appreciate how important is to live in freedom and will institute a democratic government.

I really think this is key. The situation in Libya very well may evolve into another hostile government towards the United States, but the only alternative is just putting that off until the next violent overthrow. The Libyan people should be the ones deciding their government, and they're not going to appreciate anything they didn't have to work for. They're going to resent anything another country puts in place for them. If we haven't learned that lesson in the last 50 years, we never will.
Show ALL Forums  > Politics  > If you could do it again: Would you vote for Obama Today?