Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Science/philosophy  > Time Machine      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 _TALL_IQ2_
Msg: 2
Time MachinePage 1 of 1    
This was a road that some of us have decided to take; a road that makes a great story out of our lives. However, there is great a price to pay

"TWO roads diverged in a yellow wood,
And sorry I could not travel both
And be one traveler, long I stood
And looked down one as far as I could.."

"Somewhere ages and ages hence:
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I—
I took the one less traveled by,
And that has made all the difference." Frost

Be glad that you are alive and traveling one real road in the normal time frame..
Our minds may not be equipped to deal with all the conundrums of more than one...

We don't have a power source yet to travel faster than light, or graze by a black hole..
 Jiperly
Msg: 5
Time Machine
Posted: 3/28/2011 12:21:20 AM
>>>the website's creator claimed to be a person from the future who had traveled to the past looking for some tangible objects.

Ah, are you talking about John Titor? His "History" failed to predict 9/11, and predicted events that never happened. So yea. He was full of shit.

If you're talking about another man, I'll be willing to wait 5 years for his predictions to be proven just as full of shit.

If you want my opinion of the overall concept, Time Travel is impossible because it creates a flaw in causality- and if the future is altered because of a Time Traveller, frankly, we'd become an alternative universe, at which point that person is jumping between alternative universes, not time travelling.
 IgorFrankensteen
Msg: 6
view profile
History
Time Machine
Posted: 3/28/2011 5:11:53 AM
I'm not quite clear on what you are on about here, but if it's a musing about what it would be like to be able to change the life you are in using time travel, going to the past, then returning to a present and future that has been changed by your backward travel, the only thing I can imagine is that it would be a good way to confuse the hell out of yourself. All the lessons you learned from your first "real" time through your life would no longer apply, at least not the details. People you think you know wouldn't have a clue who you are, decisions you make based on things that happened on the FIRST line of reality would now be completely wrong, because the foundation would be different.
For example, we think it's okay to an extent, that we now have all sorts of security screening to go through at every airport, BECAUSE we went through the hijacking plague of the 1970's, and the terrorist fears of the 2000's. If both were erased from our past, the notion that someone would demand to SCAN you just to let you walk to the airline gate would be considered outrageous.
As for making the "right" choices at any point in one's life, that's always going to be somewhat of a conundrum. Every choice you make, WILL alter your path, and most will result in your being unable to try a second time with an alternate decision. You need to adapt to that by accepting it.
Here in the dating world, this is often made clear, when someone comes here asking, based on their PREVIOUS experience with a DIFFERENT PERSON, if choosing a different approach is more or less likely to work for them. Most of the time, those of us who have been on the planet consciously for more than a few minutes, respond that the important thing for the person asking, is to get it through their heads FIRST, that they are dealing with someone who ISN'T the previous person. Just as the mathematical chance that you will roll a seven with a pair of dice doesn't change, no matter how many times you've rolled the dice before, the possibilities in a completely NEW situation are just as wide and varied, no matter how many previous, vaguely similar situations you've been in. The only thing that remains relatively constant is you, and when it comes to human interactions, even THAT changes!
 VacationGuy234
Msg: 7
Time Machine
Posted: 3/28/2011 8:29:40 AM
Time machines have already been created, however, like everything else they are not as romantic as the science fiction which display them. You can't travel through time, but you can slow down your own time. Time is attached to state, so if you go up in a space ship, traveling closer to the speed of light, the time associated with your ship slows down and the people on that ship age less. This has already been proven using existing space craft. You wouldn't be able to go back and find that sports book and make billions because you can't go back in another objects time, only slow down your own. You could theoretically however, come back to earth and visit your great grand kids. Wait, perhaps we could make a nice romance novel out of it? Rats, that's already been done. :(
 trinity818
Msg: 10
Time Machine
Posted: 4/8/2011 9:21:49 AM

Let me clear this up. There is a theorem in relativistic quantum field theory called the CPT theorem. It says that under the operations of the discrete symmetries of Charge conjugation, Parity tranformation and Time reversal, the product of C,P,and T is unchanged. (Each symmetry can take on the values, +1, -1 or even, odd respectively). If one considers the electron a particle, then it's anti-particle is given by performing a CPT transformation that leaves the product of C,P and T unchanged. Since the charge of the positron is opposite that of the electron, and we measure the momentum in the same way we measure the electron momentum, we can interpret the positron as an electron moving backwards in time. We don't have to interpret it that way (however, the CPT symmetry must be exact however you interpret it), but doing so makes it convenient to perform calculations using Feynman diagrams.

Ummm...could you dumb this down for me? I'm not a physicist.
 _TALL_IQ2_
Msg: 11
Time Machine
Posted: 4/9/2011 8:49:21 AM
Ummm...could you dumb this down for me? I'm not a physicist.

Richard Feynman was a very smart theoretical physicist. He could imagine particle behavior in his head
and draw little diagrams for the rest of us to follow, yet even he could not build a time machine..
Therefore, seems we are not likely to see such a thing in our lifetime or maybe ever.. S
Time Machine
Posted: 5/31/2018 11:06:08 PM
Well it's been a long time since anyone's posted here! It's still an interesting topic though and if anyone's interested I'd love to talk more about it.

My general thoughts are that the John Titor entity was the only one to ever present a physically plausible mechanism for time travel. Not just a theoretical if-you-could-zip-by-a-massive-black-hole way, but by using mini black holes created at CERN to warp spacetime around you and enable you to travel around in it. Serious physicists have looked at Titor's photos and diagrams of his time travel machine and said it might actually work, and the design has been patented. Titor told us that CERN wouldn't realize that they were making mini black holes (also called 'microsingularities') right away, and that there would be explosions from 'hot' mini black holes coming apart as they figured it out. There was actually only one explosion at CERN that's known to have occurred though, suggesting CERN may have learned from Titor what the problem was and fixed it earlier than they might have otherwise. This was just one of several 'predictions' if you want to call them that, that Titor made during his presence on our timeline. Except he made it very clear that he didn't care if anyone believed him or not, and he made it very clear that he wasn't going to provide any information about things that you could save yourself from or profit by if you knew them in advance. So in retrospect it would be entirely expected for him to NOT discuss things like 9/11 or specific aircraft or trains you shouldn't ride on or anything like that. He WAS very clear about the general tendency of the United States to develop into a police state, and even though the civil war he said would happen DIDN'T, he also explained that because we live in a multiverse, the future he experienced wouldn't be the same one we would, and that our intentions and actions could drastically modify our own. He didn't think we would change our world much from his though, expecting us to more or less follow along in the same kind of teevee-watching apathy as people did in his timeline and allow the government to grow increasingly Fascist. But I think he may have underestimated his own influence upon our timeline, which his own would never had experienced in the multiverse they all share. He was certainly right about our own timeline going Fascist, Trump is absolute proof of that. And when he said 'nobody will be surprised' when nuclear war happens, we are in that state as of right now 6/1/18 and it could happen anytime. Titor also intimated that the 'WMDs in Iraq' story would be a lie long before there was any talk of America going to war there (Titor finished his business and left before 9/11 even happened). Taken in its totality, especially with a good description and even diagrams of how to achieve time travel, Titor's story is fully plausible in theory even if no proof of it is yet known or even possible.

Those who tend toward simplistic answers to everything may dismiss Titor as a hoax, but that would be a serious intellectual error given the strong evidence that exists. Just like it would be a serious intellectual error to proclaim Titor's complete veracity given the lack of conclusive evidence at the present time. By keeping an open mind about it however we might be able to more readily recognize any further evidence as it might arise, like for example a whistleblower at CERN blowing the lid on secret experiments or other government coverups. It certainly wouldn't be the first time after all :)
Time Machine
Posted: 6/1/2018 9:43:24 PM
I have a time machine in my house. My refrigerator. It doesn't go backwards, but only forwards.

I'm always curious about the future, so every now and then I get into my refrigerator and stay awhile. When I step back out, I've time traveled into the future a bit. It's a lot of fun.
Show ALL Forums  > Science/philosophy  > Time Machine