Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Off Topic  > The Greatest World Problems      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 xlr8ingmargo
Msg: 1
The Greatest World ProblemsPage 1 of 26    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26)
I thought it would be a good topic to discuss our personal philosophies as to what the greatest problems in the world are today. I will have to say greed becuase it has been the root of so much evil. Please feel free to post your thoughts...
 stargazer1000
Msg: 2
The Greatest World Problems
Posted: 3/28/2011 11:08:40 AM
I think Mccullough's touched on it but let's give it a name: apathy.

Because of it, nothing gets accomplished.
 _TALL_IQ2_
Msg: 3
Posted: 3/28/2011 11:37:47 AM
as to what the greatest problems in the world are today. I will have to say greed becuase it has been the root of so much evil

FEAR is number one with many people around the world.. Middle east events and Japan-type disasters..

Education can play a part in "fear of the unknown" reduction, but modern communication exacerbates the "fear of world calamity" like some current overseas news,

and there always has been and always will be many things we can worry about if we seek commiseration with other group worriers..
 Cdn_Iceman
Msg: 4
Posted: 3/28/2011 12:18:46 PM

The way the cultures we are embedded in try to tell us that democracy and capitalism go hand in hand , democracy tells us everyone is of equal worth , capitalism tells us he/she who has the most wins and it's something we just can't reconcile.
you're wrong about capitalism bud
Look....Democracy is a consensual hallucination of people concerned with how to divide opportunity fairly. the American Constitution guarantees "life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness", not happiness itself, which cannot be guaranteed to anyone. It makes a tremendous difference to know that in America or other first world countries you have a shot, at least, at being president/prime minister or wealthy individual . A Alien visiting earth would not be able to see democracy. It is intangible, we have agreed to which says that no-one shall be denied opportunity, freedom of speech, or the due process of the laws. The Constitution does not say that "all men are equal"; it says we are all "created equal".

Capitalism is a social system based on Individual Rights -- but ask What is capitalism on the street, and hardly anybody, nor even House or Senate representatives will answer correctly, not to mention President Obama or Prime minister Cameron or our Prime Minister Harper.

Its not about who has the most wins, that's not capitalism those are people taking advantage of a capitalist system.

Greatest problem in the world I believe is man itself, not greed or money, anyone that tells you that Money is the root of evil generally doesn't have any and envies people that do.

Greed, tell me what is Greed? show me any place in the world that doesn't operate on some sort of greed or self interest? why confuse self interest with Greed?
 shakeitupbaby2012
Msg: 5
Posted: 3/28/2011 12:43:13 PM
HATRED & JUDGMENT: Racism, sexism, religion, etc.
Racism/ Cultural /Religion: Ethnic cleansing ( one of the worst terms I have ever seen or heard) is a travesty.

Population Growth, Natural Resources, and Pollution

Global poverty and hunger: unequal distribution of (financial) resources

Nuclear Holocaust; Terrorism

Resorting to Military Resolution rather than with other means if possible

Liberation Theology in third world countries- part of what I feel is going on right now- leading to multiple issues
 FrankNStein902
Msg: 6
Posted: 3/28/2011 1:43:05 PM

...The Greatest World Problems...

Vague and Oxymoronic Questions on the internet.
 abelian
Msg: 7
Posted: 3/28/2011 2:43:40 PM
How to make my fiancee happily cater to my every whim comes to mind.
 aremeself
Msg: 8
view profile
History
Posted: 3/28/2011 3:27:18 PM
Dying, mainly, I would say.
 IgorFrankensteen
Msg: 9
view profile
History
Posted: 3/28/2011 3:42:24 PM
All of human behavior that matters to the world stage, comes down to the things people do to get by day to day. Most of us are just doing that. Each person comes up with their own solution to that daily problem: some get jobs, some start businesses, some rob, some murder, some steal.
A fair amount of human behavior boils down to trying to get laid, regularly. Not just what most of us are here for, but across the board...people often indulge in "greed," for the payoff of admiration, and the sexual recognition that follows... often without realizing that THAT is what they are really doing it for.
A lot of other human behaviors are essentially just offshoots, derivatives, and lead-ins to those two lines of activity. Ya need a car to get to work to get the money to buy the house to sleep in the bed where Jill sleeps (or jack, as is your preference).
All of which is to say that I wouldn't put greed at the top of MY "GWP" list. Greed is more like the description of a symptom, or of a technique.
Not Hunger, not Poverty Those are localized results of other things. Not Capitalism or any other political movement or concept; they are all just relatively transient attempted solutions.
Maybe the ongoing, long-standing idea that empathizing, and understanding, is a sign of weakness. That solving problems by including everyone involved is a trick of would-be megalomaniacs, while taking only ONE side in every conflict is a sign of strength and admirable determination. I'll go with that.
 stargazer1000
Msg: 10
Posted: 3/28/2011 3:43:03 PM

How to make my fiancee happily cater to my every whim comes to mind.

Nevermind the Nobel, you figure that one out and you would be king of the world!
 xlr8ingmargo
Msg: 11
Posted: 3/28/2011 5:51:28 PM
As once pointed out in one of my fsve threads of all time- greed is one of the main causes for war. Therefore it is my opinion and I will have it.
Making a mate cater to every whim- thats priceless doll~
 Cdn_Iceman
Msg: 12
Posted: 3/28/2011 10:48:30 PM
No Tall2012, Capitalism is about a individual right to prosper in their business, to be paid on what they created, visionaries, entrepreneurs who has the guts to risk and be rewarded for it, become wealthy not paper wealth created by the financial industry.

Yeah there is a gap between rich and poor because Wealth is not a "collective resource" to be distributed by some totalitarian or some friggen bureaucrat but is produced by individuals. Wealth belongs to the individual who produced it. It is not an amorphous public good to be distributed by the government for the aid of lazy people who thinks they are " entitled" to someone else wealth they didn't create.

Capitalism is a economic system but it depends on who you ask, everyone has a different interpretation of Capitalism not all of it correct, Most people think of Capitalism as the idiots on Wall street, not at all, these people who create "paper wealth" are not Capitalist, they take advantage of a capitalist system and has the nerve to call themselves capitalist, its like the Trader of stocks calls themselves a " investor" they're not investors, they are speculators trying to make money by buying a stock at one dollar and hopes the stock goes to two dollars or more vs Investors looking for a return on their capital by investing into companies through shares and or bonds and building a net worth, big difference, but they are lumped together for what ever reason.

Look at most of the problems in the world, except for natural disasters MAN created most of the problems, War, atrocities, genocides,Pollutions, monopolies, weapons of mass destruction, extremist of religion,the widen of the gap between rich and poor, the list goes on and on.
 CallmeKen
Msg: 13
Posted: 3/29/2011 2:57:02 AM

Wealth belongs to the individual who produced it.

Ah, but who produces the wealth? Is it the kid who flipped the burger and sold the product? Or is it the vice President to the assistant to the regional manager of corporate accounts, who got the job because he knocked up the CEO's niece, and sits in a cubicle all day playing World of Warcraft? Who gets paid more?

the American Constitution guarantees "life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness"

The last time I checked, that passage was included in the Declaration of Independence.

Capitalism is about a individual right to prosper in their business

Wrong. Capitalism is about capital. Or, if you like, the Golden Rule - He who has the gold makes the rules. And, as we've seen lately in finance, often breaks them with impunity. That's the drawback to capitalism: it promotes the cutting of corners. Sometimes legally. Sometimes not.

For the OP, there are no problems - only challenges and situations. - Eckhart Tolle
 Cdn_Iceman
Msg: 14
Posted: 3/29/2011 5:54:28 AM

Ah, but who produces the wealth? Is it the kid who flipped the burger and sold the product? Or is it the vice President to the assistant to the regional manager of corporate accounts, who got the job because he knocked up the CEO's niece, and sits in a cubicle all day playing World of Warcraft? Who gets paid more?
Wealth isnt about who gets paid more,nice try though.

The last time I checked, that passage was included in the Declaration of Independence.
and your point being?

Wrong. Capitalism is about capital. Or, if you like, the Golden Rule - He who has the gold makes the rules. And, as we've seen lately in finance, often breaks them with impunity. That's the drawback to capitalism: it promotes the cutting of corners. Sometimes legally. Sometimes not.
Wrong
 U make it entertaining
Msg: 15
Posted: 3/29/2011 6:17:14 AM
Uneducated people.

Uneducated people breeds stupid people.

Come on ... we see a bunch of them on the forums.
 shakeitupbaby2012
Msg: 16
Posted: 3/29/2011 7:24:14 AM
Pollution

Indifference
 abelian
Msg: 17
Posted: 3/29/2011 8:46:20 AM

Wrong. Capitalism is about capital.

No, capitalism is an economic system which is well described by Adam Smith. Unfortunately and despite what most people who call themselves capitalists would like to believe, modern capitalim is nothing like what Adam Smith described. Modern capitalism is really more like coporate welfare.
 IgorFrankensteen
Msg: 18
view profile
History
Posted: 3/29/2011 8:44:49 PM
Yup, capitalism is NOT a social system.
And, the Constitution says NOTHING about "life, liberty and the pursuit of" anything, that's in the Declaration of Of Independence, which is NOT a part of American Law, and never has been. That doesn't matter for the sake of this discussion, but it grinds my griper button when people claim that the Declaration has ANY legal standing at all.

Most wars were NOT fought over simple greed, though if you want to define any kind of ego-supported activity a FORM of greed, you could convince yourself that that was what EVERY conflict was about. It would be more accurate to say that most wars were fought over the PERCEPTION that they were necessary for the survival/security of the attacking country (unless you believe every claim that they were the result of a conspiracy of those who expected to enrich themselves by leaching money out of the mess). That CERTAINLY applies to WW1 and 2, Korea, Vietnam, Gulf War 1, The Six Day War (Israel vs Egypt et al), the American Civil War, the War of 1812, Napoleon Bonaparte's wars of aggression. Exceptions might be the trumped up wars said to have been started for the literal enrichment of the leading General, such as Caesars war against Gaul, and Saddam's invasion of Kuwait. Still, MOST is the key word.
How do nasty people get into positions of power where they CAN rip us all up? Not really greed, per se. More commonly, the REALLY bad guys are allowed to take over, because enough folks are more scared of another threat, that they cling to a "tough guy" for a sense of safety. That's what Napoleon was about, and Hitler, and many other such.
All of which is why I fight all the time for clear thinking, fact checking, and dispassionately logical reasoning... and why I oppose emotion-based arguments, especially the ones designed to try to get me to rush to judgment in opposition or support of a cause, before all the facts can be ascertained.
 Cdn_Iceman
Msg: 19
Posted: 3/29/2011 9:16:45 PM

Yup, capitalism is NOT a social system.
And, the Constitution says NOTHING about "life, liberty and the pursuit of" anything, that's in the Declaration of Of Independence, which is NOT a part of American Law, and never has been. That doesn't matter for the sake of this discussion, but it grinds my griper button when people claim that the Declaration has ANY legal standing at all.
Well There is no consensus on the actual definition of capitalism, depending on who you talk to, some say its a social system based on profit and loss system, some says its a economic system blah blah blah. some things its back bone of the financial industry which it is not.
everyone has a different interpretation on what capitalism is.

Yeah I got the Declaration of independence thing thanks, my error.
 abelian
Msg: 20
Posted: 3/30/2011 4:57:02 AM

That doesn't matter for the sake of this discussion, but it grinds my griper button when people claim that the Declaration has ANY legal standing at all.

Technically, it has no legal standing, but it is interesting to note that the supreme court has referred to it in legal decisions:

http://writ.news.findlaw.com/commentary/20020704_mylchreest.html
 Ailliss
Msg: 21
Posted: 3/30/2011 6:45:58 AM
Quite a while ago I read a book written by an eminent scientist; it was half fiction half factual. He believes, and I agree, that the greatest threat to mankind today is the population explosion. According to this scientist if we were to continue to reproduce ourselves at the current rate in 500 years persons would be standing shoulder to shoulder and covering the entire earth [land mass]. He goes on to theorize that it will never happen as war, natural disasters and most prominently, starvation will prevent humans from covering the entire globe.

Uneducated people breeds stupid people.

Education, while beneficial, does not necessarily indicate superior intellect.

BTW your statement should read, “Uneducated people breed stupid people”.
 Twilightslove
Msg: 22
view profile
History
Posted: 3/30/2011 9:52:00 AM
Fear tops the list of the world's greatest problems. Far more people recognize what is going on then let on as they fear that horrible things will happen to them if they speak up for what they believe.

Brainwashing seems to be a rampant mode of education and religious study which leads to a mass of people too willing to go along with suggested right vs. wrong theories.

And greed is certainly a factor in the current separation between rich and poor that is becoming an increasingly larger division each day.
 trinity818
Msg: 23
view profile
History
Posted: 3/30/2011 2:36:06 PM

FEAR is number one with many people around the world

I agree. I think it's fear. Fear causes mistrust and hatred of people who are different from us. Fear of the unknown. Fear of environmental disasters. Fear of the future. The media certainly doesn't help alleviate that sentiment.

Apathy is another big one. When people feel like there is nothing they can do about the world's problems, many just give up caring.
 daynadaze
Msg: 24
view profile
History
Posted: 3/30/2011 2:40:36 PM
People

Messages this short are too short to post.
 xlr8ingmargo
Msg: 25
Posted: 3/31/2011 4:58:56 AM
I though we'd get nuclear threats, famine, over population, natural disasters, and stupidity for sure... but messages too short to post? Typical for POF
Show ALL Forums  > Off Topic  > The Greatest World Problems