Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Australia  > Australia-The Lucky Country      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 poltroon
Msg: 1
Australia-The Lucky CountryPage 1 of 5    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5)
I realise "the lucky country' was originally coined as a sarcastic remark.
But,now it is true.
Australia does seem to be blessed.
We had no recession in the GFC,abundance of natural resources,low unemployment -around 5%.
Minimum wage $15/hr for full time empoyees which means 4 weeks paid leave,2 weeks sick leave and an extra 9% paid by employer into pension fund.
Casual employees recieve 21% loading.
There are no 'ghettos',there is universal free health care which is of a high standard.
And to top it of,great climate!
I wouldn't live anywhere else.
If you disagree,which country would you rather live in?
 Holly63
Msg: 2
Australia-The Lucky Country
Posted: 4/1/2011 3:02:35 PM
Once I was watching the Oprah show and it was about the lifestyle of Denmark, (I THINK) it was Denmark.

They are reputed to be the happiest nation in the world due to their wonderful standard of living and their Governments' generous family welfare system. Unemployment is virtually unheard of and, according to those interviewed, their culture is very family orientated.

However, I agree we are a lucky country. No other country borders us and we are free from civil wars and Military Rule.
 fatpizzaman
Msg: 3
view profile
History
Posted: 4/2/2011 5:49:40 AM
Get your head out of the sand and smell the petrol.

What about the recent floods to strike Brisbane, Perth and Melbourne? Ever heard of bushfires?

What about poverty in a lot of the inner-city areas and in some of these outback towns?

Australia has its own share of problems which none of the governments we have elected into power have been able to surmount.
 qldblue
Msg: 4
Posted: 4/3/2011 4:41:04 PM
Yes Australia has it's problems but what country doesn't, there is Redfern in Sydney, the Valley in Brisbane, Coburg in Melbourne.

The love of field and coppice,
Of green and shaded lanes,
Of ordered woods and gardens
Is running in your veins.
Strong love of grey-blue distance,
Brown streams and soft, dim skies -
I know but cannot share it,
My love is otherwise.

I love a sunburnt country,
A land of sweeping plains,
Of ragged mountain ranges,
Of droughts and flooding rains.
I love her far horizons,
I love her jewel-sea,
Her beauty and her terror –
The wide brown land for me!

The stark white ring-barked forests,
All tragic to the moon,
The sapphire-misted mountains,
The hot gold hush of noon,
Green tangle of the brushes
Where lithe lianas coil,
And orchids deck the tree-tops,
And ferns the warm dark soil.

Core of my heart, my country!
Her pitiless blue sky,
When, sick at heart, around us
We see the cattle die –
But then the grey clouds gather,
And we can bless again
The drumming of an army,
The steady soaking rain.

Core of my heart, my country!
Land of the rainbow gold,
For flood and fire and famine
She pays us back threefold.
Over the thirsty paddocks,
Watch, after many days,
The filmy veil of greenness
That thickens as we gaze.

An opal-hearted country,
A wilful, lavish land –
All you who have not loved her,
You will not understand –
Though earth holds many splendours,
Wherever I may die,
I know to what brown country
My homing thoughts will fly.

by Doreatha McKeller

The second verse is the most quoted but we have a country that offers such a vast contrast regardless of whether people want to look at the good or bad parts.

The land isn't really going to change but we as people can change or we can blame others for our life, the choice really is within ourselves to make this land of ours feel lucky and we can enjoy the land or we can sit back and bemoan the fact that we have successive governments that don't keep promises?

greyingred
Msg: 5
view profile
History
Posted: 4/4/2011 9:38:09 AM
Just because I know it I thought I would add the antithesis to Sunburnt Country etc...
AUSTRALIA

by A D Hope

A Nation of trees, drab green and desolate grey
In the field uniform of modern wars,
Darkens her hills, those endless, outstretched paws
Of Sphinx demolished or stone lion worn away.

They call her a young country, but they lie:
She is the last of lands, the emptiest,
A woman beyond her change of life, a breast
Still tender but within the womb is dry.

Without songs, architecture, history:
The emotions and superstitions of younger lands,
Her rivers of water drown among inland sands,
The river of her immense stupidity

Floods her monotonous tribes from Cairns to Perth.
In them at last the ultimate men arrive
Whose boast is not: “we live” but “we survive”,
A type who will inhabit the dying earth.

And her five cities, like five teeming sores,
Each drains her: a vast parasite robber-state
Where second hand Europeans pullulate
Timidly on the edge of alien shores.

Yet there are some like me turn gladly home
From the lush jungle of modern thought, to find
The Arabian desert of the human mind,
Hoping, if still from the deserts the prophets come,

Such savage and scarlet as no green hills dare
Springs in that waste, some spirit which escapes
The learned doubt, the chatter of cultured apes
Which is called civilization over there.

Did a rather good painting based on this poem called I hate a Sunburnt Countess.
 Island home
Msg: 6
Posted: 4/4/2011 7:43:01 PM
Did a rather good painting based on this poem called I hate a Sunburnt Countess.

I look forward to seeing a picture of it posted on the net.
Meanwhile my imagination will go into overdrive
That poem doth speak truth as well as over look a few, but aint that the way of it?
Could be though I miss some points in my haste .
 Spank_Me_Honey
Msg: 7
Posted: 4/8/2011 1:12:27 AM
Having spent time in some of the poorest nations on earth

I never take this country for granted

in saying that though it could be a lot better if we had capable government
 RubyWaxxx
Msg: 8
Posted: 4/8/2011 2:30:29 AM
For white Australians, it's a lucky country.
We have space. We have space to breathe; to move around. We can travel an hour from any capital city and be in bushland. We have natural resources. We have beautiful beaches. We have a moderate climate. We have low unemployment.
For refugees, it's a very lucky country. We are peaceful. We are on the whole tolerant of all races and religions. The poorest of the poor can be educated and can better themselves. We are free.
For Aborigines, it was paradise for 60,000 years. But it's been an unlucky country for them for the last 200 years.
The ancient part that A D Hope referred to is real and you can hear its heartbeat if you listen. But I don't agree with this:
"Without songs, architecture, history:
The emotions and superstitions of younger lands,
Her rivers of water drown among inland sands,
The river of her immense stupidity

Floods her monotonous tribes from Cairns to Perth.
In them at last the ultimate men arrive
Whose boast is not: “we live” but “we survive”,
A type who will inhabit the dying earth."

Without songs, architecture, history? That's not true.
And it's a bit too arrogant for me..lol..
 greyingred
Msg: 9
view profile
History
Posted: 4/11/2011 12:09:14 AM
Yup tis a very bleak poem with great honesty and possibly white judgement myopia (if there is such a description) but it can also be read a different way...see if you can find it.

Somehow I doubt that many refugees when finally out of camp and trying to assimilate, are not freaked by where they have ended up and many will feel unlucky realising if one has brown skin, this is still quite a racist country. Best if luck to them because they will need it for a couple of generations. Afghan, Sudanese etc food...am looking forward to it and thank the Vietnamese, Italians etc of being brave with their unluckiness everytime I go to the food hall....blargh to fish and chips or meat pie!!!!
 MelbGuy261
Msg: 10
Posted: 4/26/2011 1:58:40 AM
Australia is a lucky country when you weigh it all up.

We can walk down the street in safety. Most of the time.
Medical care does not cost an arm or a leg. Excluding over priced dental.
Going to the Dr can be free for may people and pescriptions cost atleast half to less the a quater of what we would have to pay without the PBS.

Everyone has the opportunity to goto school and gain a good education.
I say good because you need to be rich to get an excellent education then the student has to be either a jock or super academic to be treated equally by the private school they attend.

There are a few crap things though.
Aboriginal Australians have a life expectancy of 20 years less then everyone else. This is more of a disgrace then anything.

Realestate is overpriced by 30% possibly more.
Our infrastructure is RS and I would not be surprised if it realy starts to fall apart under the ever increasing strain being push onto it due to the population increase.
Refugees do get the short end of the stick on may occasions. Trying to rent a property, gain decent employment etc.

I almost forgot. Considering the amount of tax we all pay we are screwed over in what we get in return in many cases. Incompetent Pollies, Public sector bureaucrats etc.

As for the natural disasters. Well they happen everywhere and have done so for 1000's of years so they don't really count.

For most people this is a lucky country most of the time.
For others it's hard all the way.

Fortunately I'm lucky at the moment. But who knows what will happen after this years budget.
 Tah,
Msg: 11
Posted: 4/28/2011 6:52:53 AM
There's a poster in here i will gladly be a sex slave too, they nailed it.

Not that we now are to blame as we inherited what great britian did when it over run this land mass and its 200 or so countries. They all had a unique culture,language,system of goverment and law, they traded and intermarried, they mined, they were pastorilists,agriculturalists,miners and industrilists. The only different was they were not capatlists and forced to keep expanding. They made decisions based on sustainability and conserving the enviorement/living with in its means.

It is pretty horrific and abhorrent what transpired for people to think we are the lucky country. Forgeting how Great britian shipped its citizens out here by force because its society crumbled and it could not sustain them and destroyed the societies out here so they could rebuild there's.
We can't do much about that, but we can acknowlage it, until we do the origonal inhabitants will not fit into our society and continue to feed the issues we think they have.

There is a lot of things lucky about our civilisation, our facism hasn't caught up with us yet, however it must be noted it has never failed to catch up with anyone as yet in the history of this present lot of homosapians ..
 OzDrifter
Msg: 12
Posted: 4/30/2011 5:18:31 AM
This is the best place in the world, for me there is no other option, i just dont want to be anywhere else.

Try stepping over to a few of the other dating sites and you will find that half the world thinks the same, like Egypt Africa, India lol.

I mentioned this to someone else today, about adopting kids from other countries, some say they need to stay within their own culture, i say why, as they will all spend the rest of their adult lives trying to get back here anyway!
 robertaus
Msg: 13
Posted: 5/12/2011 9:57:12 PM
Of course we are the Lucky Country.Where else can you migrate to and the Govt. gives you a new car and houses you in a rent free flat until your new house is built.Doesn't matter about the people born here who have been on housing commission lists for years.Nor the homeless Aussie born people.The title "Immigrant" should be changed to "Queuejumper".Australia really needs to slow immigration for a while but we can't because we suck up to the UN too much.Don't worry about the lack of infrastructure that is being caused by our rapid population growth.Don't worry about the high level of unemployment amongst asylum seekers that must cost Australia millions.Our esteemed PM is swapping 800 asylum seekers for 4000 immigrants from Malaysia.Well that is good mathematics!.
Oh by the way i'm not a rascist i just think that Australia needs to take a step back and slow our rapid growth for a while.
 sandyfreckle
Msg: 14
Posted: 6/1/2011 9:47:01 PM
Regardless of the naysayers..., my belief is that YES..., for all it's faults and foibles..., Australia is still the lucky country.

A yank mate who by choice spends way too much time here agrees..., but he does say we are 10 years behind his good old US of A..., If that is true..., I reckon that is a good thing myself. He likens us to plain and simple Canadians...., I say ..., "B S no way...., we are more like free range Canadians"...., and we don't have to put up with those bloody rowdy neighbors either !!
 OzDrifter
Msg: 15
Posted: 6/2/2011 3:01:38 AM
Subtle and muted greens to heated reds and orange, vivid ocean blue and endless skies of stars, nothing drab about that.

No architecture?, the most advanced structures on earth dont compare to to the termite mound, and songs.....what of the cicadas, currawongs and magpies, not to mention the lyrebird and the unmistakable kookaburra.

To say there is no history is typical 'civilised' arrogance born of ignorance. and how can this be if the country is now seen as so old.

To survive this land is to fully experience life, not live in a fake shiny facade. Such a narrowed surface impression of our country must surely come from a shallow mind. It is so very easy to be negative and preen ourselves in writing, full of our own self importance in our own little one eyed bubble, but others have the multi dimensional glasses on and know better.
 crustyold
Msg: 16
Posted: 6/6/2011 2:35:41 AM
as someone that has lived all over, but nows lives in a rural area, we do.........

unless you get sick, as the hospital system sucks, & you have to go too brisy.......

but the drive will kill you, if the roads not flooded......

opps, off topic, sorry guys

but all that aside, yer we do......great place to live
 DiveBomber
Msg: 17
Posted: 6/14/2011 9:13:43 PM
Im from the USA, but I've always wanted to visit Aussie Land!! I've seen plenty of films & documentaries on the land, and its beautiful, and has great resources and wildlife.

Plus, the great old Falcon XB's with their screeming 351 Clevelands just kick azz!!
 Island home
Msg: 18
Posted: 6/14/2011 10:11:51 PM
Plus, the great old Falcon XB's with their screeming 351 Clevelands just kick azz!!

I remember my mate trying to impress me with the performance of his XB
My thought at the time was that the 350cc Kawasaki I had owned would have kicked its azz.
I also thought I was lucky I didn't have to fill his tank with gas
Admittedly I was in New Zealand at the time.
Once I moved across the pond I felt I could afford to fill the tank of a V8 , But hey it was a Holden one tonner and the only tank it had took LPG
 Baron1644
Msg: 19
view profile
History
Posted: 6/15/2011 6:03:23 PM
How do we know we are living in a lucky country.
We are the only country that is isolated, although being so isolated from the rest of the world, many of other country's population would give their eye tooth to want to come and live here,some have even given their lives
Many even pay $1000.s of dollars to come here, with no guarantee to be able to live here.
Many try to cheat to come here.
The best one is many of these same people, tell us we are a racist country, many tells us we are not nice to them, many tell us we treat them bad, the question we Aussie have to ask our selves, do we see these same people packing their suitcases and going back home, the answer to that is a big NO.
That alone should tell us we are the lucky country.
 Possum08
Msg: 20
Posted: 6/16/2011 4:52:15 AM
I have to agree we are one Lucky Country, my parents fly every year to Germany, they always say oh its sooooo great in Germany, oh the scenery...oh the food, blah blah blah, but when I asked them would they move back, dad replied 'do you think we are nuts?'

I love AUSTRALIA.....coast to coast to the out back, there is nothing
on earth like it!

time for this possum to shush
 crustyold
Msg: 21
Posted: 7/4/2011 2:28:17 AM
just gotta love our place here, hopefully the othe others that come here will learn this too
 tisme_susan
Msg: 22
view profile
History
Posted: 7/4/2011 1:15:28 PM
Sorry guys, Australia used to be the lucky country, but no longer. If you look what's been happening here the past few years, our living standards have declined rapidly and will get worse. With the way the country is being run by our govt, we will soon be a third world country.
 Ahron123
Msg: 23
Posted: 7/4/2011 8:14:29 PM
Australia is a lucky country, and as someone else said, that is not the same as being utopia. But I challenge anyone to name a country which is DEFINITIVELY "luckier" than Australia. While there are other competitors, I think Australia would be in fierce competitor for first place. Having said that, so would France (I love the way they pay high taxes and really reap the benefits - so noone misses out on at least a reasonable standard of life).

Sorry guys, Australia used to be the lucky country, but no longer. If you look what's been happening here the past few years, our living standards have declined rapidly and will get worse. With the way the country is being run by our govt, we will soon be a third world country.

tisme_susan, that's a pretty outrageous claim to make with no justification or even explanation. None the less, I'm interested in what you mean, so by all means, do share.

I actually hold Tony Abbot responsible for the fact that nothing ever gets done in the current government...some people might call it "running a succesfull opposition". Maybe true, but i think if you look at Tony closely enough you will see a man who is a political genius, but you will not see a man who is any good for this country.

That's my (also unjustified and unexplained) opinion ha ha.

I realise "the lucky country' was originally coined as a sarcastic remark.

I didn't know this. Where did you get this from? Tell me the history :)
 TimelessGrandeur
Msg: 24
Posted: 7/4/2011 9:34:02 PM
'the lucky country' is the title of a book written by australian author donald horne in 1964.
he was being ironic with the title as he felt the country was run by second rate philistines and xenophobes.
 crustyold
Msg: 25
Posted: 7/4/2011 10:40:25 PM
just looked at a couple of the last comments, kinda sad there........maybe you guys need to get out of the cities, & into the country, we are this still...........LUCKY

as long as we get the miners undercontrol.......& leave our land the way it is..........
Show ALL Forums  > Australia  > Australia-The Lucky Country