Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Dating and Love Advice  > First message for a really short profile?      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 WomanInProgress
Msg: 2
First message for a really short profile?Page 1 of 2    (1, 2)
If there's nothing to go by it's likely a person who's not serious, not great with conversation, or doesn't have much going on. Why bother trying to work with it?

Non-starter.
 VacationGuy234
Msg: 5
First message for a really short profile?
Posted: 5/8/2011 5:08:17 PM
Dude, this is tricky, but doable. You expand on the music because that is something that can be dealt with, however, you stay away from the nice guy thing(leave it alone). Also, if the person in question has a picture try to establish what that person's other interest may be. For example, if the person rides a bike then expand on bike riding, etc. Note the style of the person, heavy metal, grunge, preppy, there are a lot of styles.

If I had a nickle for every short female profile on here, let s just say Exonn Mobile would be envious of me.

On a final note, you will find that women that write more about themselves are more approachable, in my experience(don't just go by the picture).
 english lass
Msg: 6
Posted: 5/8/2011 5:26:11 PM
Just try and expand on what they have written - "what types of music do you like? I like...."
/ "I have been wanting to try.... and am looking for someone adventurous (crazy enough/brave enough/curious enough/etc...) to try it too. Do you have anything particular you've been waiting to try?"

Or how about just a, "hi, I read your profile and notice *....* in your photos/hi, I read your profile and would like to get to know you better. Have you lived in *suchandsuch* long?" etc.

Try to ask a question that requires more than a 'yes' or 'no' answer.

The way she answers will give you a clue if she's interested.
 OutMind
Msg: 11
Posted: 5/9/2011 6:32:06 AM

Just simply introduce yourself. Be polite. Ask if they want to chat here or exchange emails. Just get noticed. The pics here do most of the work for you. Online dating is all about the pics.

Chillin,

This is the time that I am not going to agree with you. Hehehe. What you say above works with women. But not for men. Yes, I agree that both men and women ARE visual creatures, and the photos should be the first thing. If the woman I am looking at does not pass the visual test, goodbye. And I think that is the case with a lot of women as well. Yet, introducing yourself for a guy, it's the kiss of death. "Hi I am larry, let's exchange emails." Of the women that I have gone out, they have told me that they get so many lame introductions that is pathetic. Also remember, that if you are a woman getting 300 emails in a weekend, after a while "Hi am Larry" gets very old.

Also, while pictures are very important, it's not a beauty contest, but a contest of character. Many women do not respond to the hot looking guy taking a picture in his bathroom showing his chess.

Now, both men and women are different. Men tend NOT to read profiles, yet that is the clue to how to reach women. And women do read profiles because that is how the find the character of the guy.

So while an attractive woman can have in her profile, "I like walks on the sand at sunset" "you must like my pink chichuachua" and still get a ton of email. Men that have angry drivel get nothing.

Also be aware that while a woman, all she has to do is wink at the guy. Most women find men that wink to be whimps and even say so in their profiles. Don't wink.

So, my advice is to yes do read a profile. Then find something about that other person that is interesting and start a conversation in the middle.
 c_deacon
Msg: 15
view profile
History
Posted: 5/9/2011 11:24:22 AM
Cowboy....The big tits comment only works for those young and stupid.....or with those women that use their tits to promote those comments.....

I am with those that say......if short....be short.....if long....condense and be reasonable.....unless you like long drawn out profiles that make most impossible to be qualified for, accept, or even tolerate!!

cd......
 OutMind
Msg: 16
Posted: 5/9/2011 1:24:09 PM

I really don't care what a man puts on a profile. Some have the most thought out profiles but they can't communicate with an exchange of emails to save their life.. Boring. ZZzzzzz

So if put in my profile that "I like to spank female penguins with pink Ostrich feathers until the can sing "Oh sole mio" in proper Italian, while feeding them fresh herring and Greek Kalamata Olives," you wouldn't notice?

Not even hint of a red flag?

Walts
Msg: 18
Posted: 5/9/2011 4:49:24 PM
Soooooo OP, WHAT actually DID interest you in that short profile?????

Your answer to that question, will answer the question you decided to ask here in the forum.

Personally, a short profile,even with pics of a hot bambi,showing those ta tas and a tight little arse,will generate little, if any interest from me. There are enough brain dead bambis walking around here in the real world, to have to e-mail one.
 NotElvisJunior
Msg: 20
view profile
History
Posted: 5/12/2011 8:14:23 PM
I get the impression that, male or female, having a profile with little to no content translates to:

"I am so hot that I don't need to impress you. YOU need to impress ME."

But, hey, I'm no psychologist...
 magicallaroundme
Msg: 21
Posted: 5/12/2011 9:59:22 PM
Sheeesh... Do like all the other guys and just say you like big tits. Not much else to say on a two line profile unfortunatley.

Cowboy

Cowboy is being funny but he is on the right track. Look for one little detail in her picture and comment on that. Just don't make it provocative.

i.e.
"Doesn't sitting like that hurt your back?"
"Don't tell me you wore that color in public."
"Where did you get that wall hanging?"

No tits. No "you're hot". No ass. etc and you will be okay. The challenge is to send her a message that says something about her picture WITHOUT commenting on her looks. That gives her a chance to click the reply button and not be the one who initiates.
 1234deleted1234
Msg: 22
Posted: 5/12/2011 11:55:20 PM
How about.

Wow, not much to go on but your pictures... I might be interested in finding out more though... if you're interested in chatting, hit me up!

In reality, I wouldn't contact anyone based on pics alone due to most of them being old.
 carelesswhisper00
Msg: 25
Posted: 5/13/2011 8:24:02 AM
I agree with an earlier post, it's all about pics.....people are such visual creatures. If you have good pics you are 10 times more likely to get noticed, most don't really care what you have written in your profile, but I have had some make comments and stretch out what I've said in my profile to their own definitions...go figure!
Show ALL Forums  > Dating and Love Advice  > First message for a really short profile?