Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Science/philosophy  > What are you doing to HELP the world?      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 differencemaker2011
Msg: 1
What are you doing to HELP the world?Page 1 of 1    
Recently I lost my mother to cancer. This was a huge wake up call for me. It made me realize how precious life is and how little time we sometimes truly can have on this planet. It also made me so much more aware of the needs of those around me. And it also made me realize that I want to try to impact people's lives in a positive way everyday.

Whether this means saying Hello, Thank You, or How are you today?

or whether this means taking time out of my "busy schedule" to help out a friend, loved one or even complete stranger.

or whether this means getting to know all my close ones and new friends on an itimate level...

The point is I want to truly LIVE life and HELP out others.

ALSO with the loss of my mother to CANCER I have realized that I also wanted to dedicate a large part of my life to fighting this terrible disease that IMPACTS all of us in one way or another...

So I have begun volunteering my time with a local cancer charity and also by donating a portion of my salary every month.

WHAT I WANT TO DO is ask all of you - WHAT have you done to help out the world lately?

And I want to challenge you to step out of your comfort zone, to stop thinking about yourself and to start helping others...

ALSO a good buddy of mine from University has set up a way for all of us to start fighting cancer and it's as easy as clicking "LIKE" on Facebook...

In fact he has created a Facebook Page dedicated to FIGHTING CANCER - and by following it this will help to raise money for cancer charities...

If you don't have money or time to donate than at least do this...

Here is the link:

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Help-2-END-Cancer/167498966631678?sk=info.

So PLEASE start doing something today to help make the world a better place.
 ArghStopItYouStupidDuck
Msg: 2
What are you doing to HELP the world?
Posted: 5/15/2011 3:20:02 PM
Okay, I know this sounds totally absurd, but I think it's possible and maybe we can all figure it out together..

Before I start, let me say that I'm not remotely qualified to say anything about anything medical (or really anything else for that matter), and in no way does any of this mean you shouldn't follow your doctor's advice for anything that ails you. This is all just a theory, something that I believe is possible yet do not have any experimental proof of yet.

Now that the disclaimer is out of the way...

I think that cancer can be beaten with a youtube video (any video of course, but saying a youtube video shows that I just mean a normal video). And this isn't about selling herbal treatments or whatever, if this works it should be freely available to everyone in the world to remove the plague of cancer from humanity.

Consider that so many people of yesteryear, who had nearly every potential risk factor for cancer and proceeded to live long, fruitful lives. How is it that with these people all eating high-fat diets, smoking, working in the sun all day, basically taunting cancer to take them, still lived to be 100+ years old?

And of course then there's a great deal of empirical evidence showing that a positive attitude allows people to beat cancer. However, of course not everyone with a positive attitude survives cancer, so what's going on with that?

My suspicion is that your body HAS the ability to beat cancer. Basically, cancer exists within your body, it *IS* your body, and therefore falls under your brain's dominion. Since it's in your brain's playground, your brain has the ability to stop it from spreading, in fact to kill it. However, a "positive attitude" is not enough.

What is required is that you *KNOW* you can beat cancer, that it is your enemy and is helpless to you. If you KNOW, without a shadow of a doubt, that you can fight and beat cancer, your brain will make it happen.

So how is it that this can happen?

Look up PAR-4. This isn't just a typical golf hole, it stands for Prostate Apoptosis Response - 4.

This is a gene (and protein) which, when activated within a mouse, turns it into a cancer-killing "supermouse" that, even when implanted with extremely aggressive and malignant tumors, shortly after has the tumor inexplicably die off leaving the mouse healthy and completely normal afterwards.

However, that's not even the most incredible part.

If they extract cells from the "supermouse" and implant them into a NORMAL mouse that has a tumor, the normal mouse then kills off the tumor! =O

But it gets even better!

If they THEN try to implant a *NEW* aggressive tumor into the NORMAL mouse that's been injected with the "supermouse" cells, the *NEW* tumor dies off!! =O

So, PAR-4 must be some unique and special gene that's been concocted in some laboratory, right?

NO! It's present in EACH AND EVERY cell in our bodies! It's just not activated!

What does this gene actually DO to kill the cancers? It only does one of two things, it tells the next cell to activate the gene, and if the cell is a cancer cell, it makes it self-destruct. That's all. Why does it make the cancer cells self-destruct? We don't know yet, but they're working on it.. And they haven't seen any negative effects from the gene activation yet within the mice used for the experiment.

So, let's assume that the PAR-4 gene can kill cancer, how does this relate to the youtube video thing?

The brain has the ability to both activate genes and produce additional white blood cells (which are the ones that would be doing the transmission of this signal) based on emotional responses. The question is how you tell your brain to activate this gene.

My suspicion is, based on tying all of these pieces of information together, that what happens is that if you don't see cancer as an impossible, overwhelming opponent, if you see it as something you can fight and beat because it only has the power you give it, your brain will do the "work" necessary to make this happen. If this is true, the tricky part is TRULY convincing people that they can beat cancer, put them in the same mindset as someone in a football game who doesn't feel the pain of an injury because they're battling to win, instead of just making them hope that the cancer doesn't beat them.

The media feeds us endless messages about how cancer is a death sentence because fear sells and they only have their own interests in mind. I suspect that there would be a correlation between the number of negative stories about cancer and the incidences of cancer related deaths, however I don't have the resources available at my disposal to verify this. No matter what, I'm quite certain that endlessly hearing about how you can't possibly beat cancer doesn't do people currently in the battle of their lives any favors.

So, going back to the youtube video idea, we know that videos can produce emotional states. In fact, designed correctly, as any psychologist (or advertiser) will tell you they can produce much more powerful emotions than we acknowledge through manipulation of unconscious processing of visual and auditory input (i.e. subliminal messages, environmental sound effects, inspirational music).

What I'm trying to figure out is how a video could be designed to, without any active cognition of the video, reframe the idea of cancer in someone's mind to be something that is totally under THEIR control, something that can be fought and beaten. Something that is entirely dependent on you to allow it to exist, and that can be destroyed at will.

If this video could be created, regardless of whether the theory of your brain activating the PAR-4 genes or an equivalent is true, simply diminishing cancer's power in your mind is something that would be beneficial to any cancer patient out there, and I suspect that's something that any doctor would agree with.

Anyone's thoughts on this would be appreciated, I've been doing a lot of research into the physical and psychological aspects of this theory but there's tons of people far more qualified than I who could be tremendously helpful in giving some direction on any of the various aspects of this idea. So please, biologists, neurologists, psychologists, oncologists, or ANYONE who has any observations feel free to speak up about this idea (even if it's just telling me I'm an idiot, I'm used to that)..

If it has the slightest chance of working, maybe we can, together, finally show cancer who's boss.

Thank you for reading this!
Jack
 motown cowgirl
Msg: 3
Posted: 5/16/2011 5:28:40 AM
i'm sorry for your loss. it's not particularly uncommon to lose somebody to cancer, unfortunately, it has happened in my own family twice. i'm also sorry you needed to experience a loss of this nature to obtain the wake-up call that you say you needed. it has been said that there is nobody more pious than the newly converted and i wasn't the first one to say it. i think the american cancer society and its canadian equivalent have already carved out a rather large and comfortable niche in this area, plus there are other established cancer.orgs around, but i'm not giving them any money and i'm not liking your facebook page. think what you will about that but you are not about to guilt trip me by presupposition into your pet cause with your overzealous exhortations. frankly it's one of the more distasteful ways of asking for other people's help. i already have other ways of HELPING but i won't promote them here. perhaps you believe your mission to make the world a better place supercedes pre-established rules, but asking for other peoples' money and promoting your facebook page here are explicitly verboten.
 aremeself
Msg: 4
view profile
History
Posted: 5/16/2011 9:35:47 AM
shouldn't we be concerned with every, and all forms of sickness and death?

I mean, really, whats the point of serviving cancer just to die of one of the next 4000 different causes of death? [or 100,000, or more]
 moonwalkerman
Msg: 5
view profile
History
Posted: 5/16/2011 10:27:17 AM
I find it easiest to somehow have a positive impact on the people that surround me, being it by just being friendly in traffic, by showing common courtesy in daily social situations, or by complimenting others on what they do.
Sorry for your loss. I hope someday they'll find a cure.
 scorpiomover
Msg: 6
view profile
History
Posted: 5/16/2011 4:04:14 PM
I try and help my friends, who include people who are in situations worse off than I am. I donate some money to charity. I try to put animals outside, without killing them. I try to be polite to everyone. If a stranger asks me for help, or I see a stranger who looks like they would want my help, then I try to help them.
 cookie22222
Msg: 7
view profile
History
Posted: 5/17/2011 6:58:32 AM
OP, I'm sorry for your loss.

I believe that sometimes we get so overwhelmed by how MUCH it would take to make a big dent in any of the problems today, that a lot of people just become stuck in inactivity.

I think that if we look around at our little piece of the world, the people we come in contact with, and do something - no matter how little it seems - it does make a difference. I've worked in my office before; when I came back here this last time, the HR person said to me "you are just what we need - you can calm some of these folks down, and make sure things are going as they should be"...in context - I took that to be huge compliment.

I try to be kind in my dealings with other. I try to be there - because I know what it is to go through rough times, and how much the tiniest gesture of human kindness can mean.

I coordinate the Christmas Drive in my office. I do everything I can, and everything I can think of, to try to get donations, and to get donations our clients really need. I'm sweating blood by the time the 25th rolls around - and I get the deepest satisfaction you can imagine from that.

I don't know that anyone can help "the world", but I truly believe we can do something to make our corner a little better.
 FrankNStein902
Msg: 8
Posted: 5/17/2011 12:23:43 PM

shouldn't we be concerned with every, and all forms of sickness and death?

I think we would be helping the world more by being less concerned with how we are going to die and more concerned with how we are going to live.
 Klerc
Msg: 9
Posted: 5/17/2011 10:48:43 PM

I think we would be helping the world more by being less concerned with how we are going to die and more concerned with how we are going to live.

Yes, but that is hard to do when we all have smallpox.
 aremeself
Msg: 10
view profile
History
Posted: 5/18/2011 9:40:13 AM
"Yes, but that is hard to do when we all have smallpox."

and are still dying.

most people DON'T think about death, until it's in their lap.
 sum1reel
Msg: 11
Posted: 5/18/2011 12:18:15 PM
I'm posting under the assumption that this isn't a ploy to scam pple outta money, through some donation process.

I lost my mother to cancer. This was a huge wake up call for me. It made me realize how precious life is and how little time we sometimes truly can have on this planet. It also made me so much more aware of the needs of those around me.

its too bad that it takes the loss of a loved one before this ^ kinda thing is realized!

ALSO with the loss of my mother to CANCER I have realized that I also wanted to dedicate a large part of my life to fighting this terrible disease that IMPACTS all of us in one way or another...So I have begun volunteering my time with a local cancer charity and also by donating a portion of my salary every month.

i think you should take the time to fully bereave the loss of your mom...before you undertake your Quixotic quests......fighting cancer is a noble cause, but you need to have realistic goals and expectations....and not be influenced by emotional forces in your mission, otherwise you will just set yourself up for disappointment.

The point is I want to truly LIVE life and HELP out others.

not that you have to tell us...but you didn't say what kind of cancer your mom had nor her age!..........there are some cancers that can be prevented, and some that can be detected early, but there are many that cannot!.....a good way to help is by raising awareness & education about certain forms of cancer, perhaps to those who you can have an impact on!....nowadays, prevention & early detection is the best way to ward off cancer.
 CallmeKen
Msg: 12
Posted: 5/26/2011 9:58:33 PM

So I have begun volunteering my time with a local cancer charity and also by donating a portion of my salary every month.

Spamming for charity is still spamming, Sally Struthers.

WHAT have you done to help out the world lately?

I've stayed out of its way.
 SylvanSwan
Msg: 13
Posted: 5/30/2011 2:38:32 AM
I'm truly sorry for your loss OP however I agree with one poster about how the cancer societies have received large renumeration over the years.... And yet cancer is still around? Why?

You should do some research on how much the head kahuna's of those societies actually make a year. Its staggering.

IMO, we should forget about "Marching for a Cure" and instead focus on prevention.
Show ALL Forums  > Science/philosophy  > What are you doing to HELP the world?