Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Plentyoffish Site/Suggestions/Help  > The Flaw in the System [THREAD Closed]      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 setuid
Msg: 1
view profile
History
The Flaw in the System [THREAD Closed]Page 1 of 1    
I've been here for a few years, and noticed that there are some basic "workflow" flaws in the system, but it has been refined over time, so it is getting better.

The biggest one that I see right now, is the inability to "remove" or "block" profiles from being shown as I browse around.

Unless I've had an active conversation with someone over email here, I can't delete/block them. I don't necessarily want to block users I've had conversations with, so that's not really a good use of that option.

When I browse around, the natural inclination is to click on the profile by clicking on the photo. If someone uploads new photos and I see a new face, I click on it, even though it may be a profile I've already been to, disliked, passed on for some reason. But now I've shown up in their list of "Visited me" users (yes, I know I can disable this, but sometimes I WANT the women to know I've seen her profile, so I keep it enabled).

But for profiles I have zero interest in, I want to be able to remove them from MY view, and remove ME from THEIR view as well. Right now, I have 10+ pages of women "in my area", that are not a good fit for me at all.

When I search, I have to go through those 10 pages, looking for profiles that "look new" (but may just be old profiles I've already seen with new photos attached), until I find new ones, and then contact those users.

If I could remove the ones I'm not interested in, not only would it make the search results faster (searching less of the database of users), but it would also make it much easier to zoom in on the users I want to contact, which ARE in my search criteria.

And yes, I've been here for 3 years and haven't met a single person yet, after receiving about 20 emails a year, and sending about 300-400 every year.
 _TALL_IQ2_
Msg: 2
The Flaw in the System
Posted: 5/24/2011 9:56:37 AM
Many of us enjoyed that ability to selectively block, and would like it to come back and have said so multiple times. However we've been told it takes too much resources to implement it.. Maybe with faster servers it will come back...
 setuid
Msg: 3
view profile
History
The Flaw in the System
Posted: 5/24/2011 10:41:31 AM
Having written and designed systems similar to this (not dating sites, but much more-trafficked data-heavy websites, blogs, etc.), I can say that it doesn't take that many resources at all.

On the back-end, there is a query that is run that presents profiles to each user when they select to view them. You create a column in the user table (for my userid in that table) that includes the numeric (not stringified) users that are being ignored/blocked.

When you run the query to display any users to me, the "block list" is then filtered out. A sample SQL query might look something like:

select * from pof_users where gender='1' not like %${blocklist}%;

It's actually less resources to do so, and less bandwidth overall being sent to the requesting user (I may be offered 100 profiles on 5 pages, instead of 1,500 profiles on 75 pages), and the resources on the server-side to process that query are significantly less, since the query result (the "answer" that comes back) contains much less data.
 abelian
Msg: 4
The Flaw in the System
Posted: 5/24/2011 11:50:28 AM

It's actually less resources to do so, and less bandwidth overall being sent to the requesting user (I may be offered 100 profiles on 5 pages, instead of 1,500 profiles on 75 pages), and the resources on the server-side to process that query are significantly less, since the query result (the "answer" that comes back) contains much less data.

You seem to be forgetting that generating revenue is part of the design strategy and page views generate revenue. More efficient searches which elminate profiles yo've already seen, means fewer page views, since you can put the profiles you haven't seen on fewer pages.
Show ALL Forums  > Plentyoffish Site/Suggestions/Help  > The Flaw in the System [THREAD Closed]