Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Over 30  > OVER 50      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 Silver-Dove
Msg: 1
OVER 50Page 1 of 1    
As we age the numbers dwindle...especially for women. It is a known fact that women live longer. It's also a fact that men re-marry quicker. And finally, men can far more easily date younger women than women can date younger men.

It also seems to me that many over 50 are still not comfortable with computer and online dating...some have real technical difficulties.

So pickins are slim for women over 50. How do others feel about this???
 Janet_Always
Msg: 2
OVER 50
Posted: 6/11/2011 11:41:28 AM
I think most people in the 50's can manage the complexities of an online dating site. At this age they are still usually in the work force and have some exposure to computers...

Many women don't date younger men (more than 10 years) because they don't want to, not because they can't.

Anyway, are pickins' slim? Not really. There are plenty of singles my age, finding one that suits me is another story... the advantage of our age group is that most are done raising their families, we tend to be more financially secure and have more free time available.

edit: woops I see you are 66, not just over 50. That's a different story regarding computer skills. I think in your age group lack of knowledge does show up more frequently.
 StarliteKisses
Msg: 3
view profile
History
OVER 50
Posted: 6/11/2011 1:58:36 PM
I guess I never thought of it in that way, but now that you mention it.....there aren't as many men over 60 online here, as the other ages.

I generally date men younger than myself.....not by my choice, they just choose me. I prefer to date men close to my age. Well, now I know what to blame it on!!
 shakeitupbaby2012
Msg: 4
OVER 50
Posted: 6/11/2011 3:36:32 PM
I can honestly say that I've never had any of these issues, and I heavily concur with Janet.

I have a no excuses policy. If one doesn't have pc skills- take a course at the community college or ask
A pc savvy friend etc. Join a singles group like meet up dot com etc once the skills are gained. Meet people thru common friends.Volunteer at your local library or other community centric groups.
Book a singles trip. Form a singles group. Etc etc etc.
I have the opportunity to see approx 500 this coming week on an aannual archeological dig. All have common interests and are great people. There are many places to meet people of all ages. Best wishes.
 IgorFrankensteen
Msg: 5
view profile
History
OVER 50
Posted: 6/12/2011 12:50:32 PM
Don't let the math get in the way so much. Unless you are intent on finding a large quantity of guys, you only need ONE, so the fact that there are fewer available isn't important.
As a guy headed in the opposite direction, I can say for sure that the "pickings" for guys aren't near as wide open as they were when I was younger either. What ever. Am I going to give up, or pretend to like someone much younger or older, just so that I can have SOMEONE? Nope.
 thefixer52
Msg: 6
view profile
History
OVER 50
Posted: 6/12/2011 1:23:11 PM
Most over 50's grew up in the computer age, it's not new to people my age [52], I grew up with the ZX spectrum, Commodore Amiga etc.., computing right at the front line, some of us know more than the bloody kids, they never had to deal with memory managers and such.. Anyway I'm over 50 and looking for my soul mate too.. Good luck..
 Walts
Msg: 7
OVER 50
Posted: 6/17/2011 5:30:16 AM

It also seems to me that many over 50 are still not comfortable with computer and online dating...some have real technical difficulties.

So pickins are slim for women over 50. How do others feel about this

What you maybe finding is that "many" of those men you are talking about understand the difference between ca ca and the real thing. If they want the real thing, they won't put up with ca ca(or the song and dance routine). Experince happens with age, for both genders. Has nothing to do with if they can use the computer or not. They know what they want(or at least have some conviction of their beliefs and wants) and they'll stick to it.

Don't know if that's always a good thing, but it is what it is.

This topic probably should have been in the over 45 for fear of scaring the crap outta the "over 30" crew.
 Silver-Dove
Msg: 8
OVER 50
Posted: 6/17/2011 8:40:14 PM
Thank you I did not know there is an over 45 forum.

I wish there was an over 60 one - or that I could start one!
Show ALL Forums  > Over 30  > OVER 50