Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Tennessee  > what is the appropriate amount to spend on the first date?      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 GeNiEyZ
Msg: 1
what is the appropriate amount to spend on the first date? Page 1 of 1    
This morning I was flipping through channels when I came across the news headline about this survey. They caught my attention with the question "are more men going cheap?". I had to chuckle because I've been dating nkw for the last six months or so and I usually end up paying for my own way on occasion. I ask this question because the survey claims the appropriate amount is $200 for the first date. To me this amount is far more than I would spend on someone I don't know or that I'm not interested in. Just wondering y'alls point of view on this. Id much rather buy my next datenight outfit then blow $200 for something I'll never see, use, or hear ever again
 Jayne_Deaux
Msg: 2
view profile
History
what is the appropriate amount to spend on the first date?
Posted: 6/12/2011 11:18:25 AM
That does sound excessive. But I guess it depends on where you live and what you plan to do. Concert tickets are outrageous these days. So going to a concert would be a lot more expensive than say dinner and a movie. Unless, of course, you get concessions at the movie then you might very well spend $200!!!! Lol....

However , I will say that I have a young girl who sits for my daughter sometimes and it appears she expects a date to take her on shopping sprees and bring her flowers and gifts, etc.

I would fell as if I'm trying to be bought, I think.
 U make it entertaining
Msg: 3
Posted: 6/12/2011 11:45:45 AM
I think it varies as to the class of individual.
Some have money ... some don't.

I know my first date was in that ball park.
Limo, dinner, dance, charity ball.
But then that was the class of man that took me out.
My other first dates ...
dinner, drinks.

So there is no hard and fast rule.
 Write Time
Msg: 4
view profile
History
Posted: 6/12/2011 6:52:50 PM
For a first date? Typically coffee or a drink? Yes, $200 is a bit excessive. Heck, half of that would be too much, I'd think.
 Texasredhead_1957
Msg: 5
Posted: 7/1/2011 11:01:02 AM
Seasoned Gent, just what is wrong with Burger King? I think $200 is way excessive for a first date. I agree with Mokat, to me having never met someone and meeting for the first time is a meeting, not a date. Usually in that case, I pay my own way.
 Bladesmith81801
Msg: 6
Posted: 8/30/2011 7:12:37 PM
$200??? One a first date? Someones smoking crack.

I'm not adverse to spending that much on a date, but I better be head over heels in love with her and had better be in a serious relationship.
 jsmith103
Msg: 7
Posted: 11/5/2011 3:59:05 PM
it really depends on the person, if you feel that person is really into you then enjoy the moment bc it can turn into a better situation
if you know its not going anywhere and fast, then hold at coffee which should be no more than $15 for both

No point getting someone full for an old flame to get the benefits of it
 BlondeGardenia
Msg: 8
Posted: 1/30/2012 2:39:48 PM
$200.00 is definately excessive for a first date. Dinner for two at a nice resturant, approx. $50.00, I feel is appropriate. The woman definately does not pay for the first date. Perhaps if there is a 3rd or 4th then the woman paying would be appropriate. I've offered to pay for my meal and MOST of the time the guy stands up and is a gentleman and pays for it.
 maples01
Msg: 9
view profile
History
Posted: 2/2/2012 12:12:56 AM
I'm for a lobster meal, she'll wash dishes at the restaurant to cover it, won't she?
 Kings_Knight
Msg: 10
Posted: 6/27/2012 3:26:27 PM
@ Nr 01 ...

"Men are going cheap" ... ? How effin' presumptuous of them. Umm ... $200, you say ... ? Screw that. If I'm fronting that kind of money for a first date with someone I've never met (or seen) in real life before, I'd better be gettin' some 'sump'm sump'm' in return before the night's over. In my little world, a 'first date' is Burger King or Waffle House and y' get out for under $10. That's plenty enough to find out if you ever want to see them again or get to know them on a more ... ahem ... 'personal' level. I'm curious as to the source for the amount now considered 'proper' to spend on a complete stranger. Sounds like bullshit to me ... somebody's bein' mighty liberal with Other Peoples' Money ...
 2ndAmendmentAlltheWay
Msg: 11
Posted: 7/23/2012 3:54:40 PM
Wow,

You know what the single life keeps sounding better and better.

I guess this kind of depends. Have i spent well over 200.00 on a first date. Sure, but no way on the first date especially the first date and meeting someone online. No way. I have been on a number of first meets/dinners. Where I wanted to bail with in the first 5 minutes.

Now, If I had been sending emails back and forth, and spent numerous hours on the phone with this person, maybe even skyped and texts back and forth.. Sure, I would be more inclined to spend money.

However, I will say that. First impressions are key. For some women you better be able to keep up such spending or else you are going to be in trouble.

What ever happened to a nice picknic at the park bring a bottle of whine, pack your dinner the plates the whole nine yards.. and probably cost you less than 100.00 to buy everything cloth, picnic basket, plates etc, and a nice bottle of wine?

Ultimately, its more or less the income. I have a friend who makes roughly 250.00 a week after all taxes and his health care and all that jazz comes out of his check.. I could never for see him shelling 200.00 on a date.

But where another friend owns a business that profits about 200k or so a month depending on the month, after his expenses. So 200.00 to him isn't really much of anything.

But honestly the majority or people are probably closer to making 1k a week before taxes..

its not about the money spent on a date.. sure bells and whistles may grab someones attention. But it will be someone personality that shines longer than the spent money...
 2ndAmendmentAlltheWay
Msg: 12
Posted: 7/23/2012 4:02:26 PM
oh the amount to spend

Honestly, Look at your lifestyle.

if when you go out to eat and you spend 5-10 dollars on yourself.

then your target price for a date is 30-50 dollars

If you go out to lunch or dinner with a business associate, and you spend 20 bucks on yourself..

Than your target price of a first date should be somewhere between 40-60 dollars.

If when you go out to eat and you spend 40 dollars.....

than your target price should be 80-100 dollars

if when you go out to eat and you spend 60 dollars on yourself.

than your target should be 120-150 dollars..

If you go out eat and your meals cost 100 dollars or more..

Your target price on your date should be 200-400 dollars.

:twocents:
 maples01
Msg: 13
view profile
History
Posted: 3/10/2013 5:12:56 PM
Hidin from homeland security. LoL
 Albvs
Msg: 14
Posted: 3/20/2013 9:35:32 PM
In California, yes, I'd easily spend $200 on a first date.

But not in Tennessee. It just doesn't seem to be inline with the whole way of doing things here.
 rockstyle37
Msg: 15
view profile
History
Posted: 4/3/2013 4:43:21 PM
I don't consider a first meeting a first date. I'm perfectly fine with buying dinner somewhere nice so we have a chance to talk. The second time is the real first date and then I would spend more. $200 does not sound that bad but you would really have to work to try to spend that much. Flowers and chocolates at the door, a really nice restaurant, and a movie might not be enough. Maybe that statistic is from NYC.
 maples01
Msg: 16
view profile
History
Posted: 5/2/2013 1:32:40 AM
How much is dinner and dancing at Taco Bell?
Show ALL Forums  > Tennessee  > what is the appropriate amount to spend on the first date?