Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Dating Experiences  > Does this sound like fake/predatory emails???      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 MauriceSendak
Msg: 1
Does this sound like fake/predatory emails???Page 1 of 3    (1, 2, 3)
Ok, so I've messaged a woman back and forth several times and now we're set to go out. She's attractive and seems nice. However, I get this bad feeling in my gut that this profile is possibly fake and that maybe there is some predatory behavior going on. My suspicions have to do with the horrible grammar in her messages, even though she says she's lived here her whole life, and that her family is here as well.

Example: "My week was good, im sorry you been so busy you know is work. i have live here all my life and yes all my family is here too...sounds good meet you on sunday at 7:30 ...oh one more thing i just what you to know im a shy girl."

This is just weird. All her messages have been like this.

What do you guys think?
 LabradorOokpik
Msg: 2
view profile
History
Does this sound like fake/predatory emails???
Posted: 6/12/2011 10:54:49 AM
Maybe she really is from your area. Perhaps she's just not good at grammar/spelling.
 MauriceSendak
Msg: 3
Posted: 6/12/2011 10:54:53 AM
Anybody??? I'm supposed to meet this person tonight, but something seems amiss....
 MauriceSendak
Msg: 4
Posted: 6/12/2011 10:57:54 AM
Wow. Ok that could be. But that's PRETTY bad. I mean, how do you grow up here, and talk like that? It would make sense to me if she was a recent immigrant (last five years or so) but... having live here your WHOLE life?
 rearguard*2
Msg: 5
view profile
History
Posted: 6/12/2011 10:58:42 AM
Generally, if you have bad feelings, you should pay attention to them. Clearly, if spelling and grammar bother you, you need someone with a reasonable education and competence with written expression. The person on the other end of the net may just be drunk, stoned or suffering from a physical handicap, or not well educated. Only way to find out is to meet.
 _TALL_IQ2_
Msg: 6
Posted: 6/12/2011 11:04:07 AM
i have live here all my life and yes all my family is here too...sounds good meet you on sunday at 7:30 ...oh one more thing i just what you to know im a shy girl." This is just weird. All her messages have been like this.

Good for you to have set up a "FIRST MEET" soonest. You will find out soon enough what is real or not..

IF she suddenly starts a series of "excuses" why she can't make it to the meet, then you will know she is a complete scam fake, or a teenager playing you, or maybe just an uneducated immigrant lying to you. You DO realize people lie on POF?

Also be aware there are SOME hookers prowling POF, as in all online sites. Marcus does a decent job of removing them if you report their profiles and any mention of needing money for ANY reason they may put in an email to you.

MauriceSendak
Msg: 7
Posted: 6/12/2011 11:08:23 AM
The spelling and grammar don't bother me one bit, actually. It's just that the level of grammar and spelling does not seem coherent with her educational back ground (some college), job (bank) and the fact that she's lived in the US for her entire life (almost 30 years).
My question really is whether or not anyone has experienced predatory behavior or misrepresentation on this website, with the intention of exploiting their "date".

It just doesn't seem to add up and has raised the hackles on my neck a bit, that's all.
 Buckets_of_Sky
Msg: 8
Posted: 6/12/2011 11:20:10 AM
I am going to tell you what I tell all my friends - go with your gut. That little voice in your head is telling you that something is wrong, then there probably is.... conversely one could say no guts no glory.

BTW yes it does sound a bit fishy.
 U make it entertaining
Msg: 9
Posted: 6/12/2011 11:33:00 AM

almost everyone on here has fallen victim to the whole "misrepresentation" scenario

I know I have.
My first meet up was just that.
Young kids playing around, and I fell for it.
It was exactly as you pointed out.
Bad command of the English language.

I learned, and so will you.

If I were you, I'd put the shoe on the other foot, and you can start playing detective.
Go ... take all this with a grain of salt.
See if she shows.
If not have yourself a drink and laugh it off.

Guaranteed, you won't do it again.
 jasonsgt
Msg: 10
view profile
History
Posted: 6/12/2011 11:53:35 AM
All are good opinions. She just might not be the best at conversing through typed messages. I wouldnt disqualify her for that. I would go ahead with the plans to meet up, but dont let your guard down...as with all first meets.
 MauriceSendak
Msg: 11
Posted: 6/12/2011 11:58:05 AM
Lol. Ok guilty as charged, I made a typo as well. Still I think you can see my point. No, I'm not trying to talk myself out of anything, this just seems all too reminiscent of the type of scams that have become commonplace on Craigslist. Really I was just curious if anyone here had experienced fraudulent behavior such as what is now a dime a dozen on Craigslist. Maybe I should have posted the question that way, sorry for the confusion. I'm not worried about being robbed or anything like that, it just seemed fishy and was curious if anyone else has had a similar experience.
Thanks for all the replies, it sounds like the consensus is to show up, have a drink or two and let the chips fall where they may.

Good luck out there fellow fishermen and women!
 KAT4EVR
Msg: 12
view profile
History
Posted: 6/12/2011 12:21:31 PM
Go to the meeting place, a public place, preferred. Hey, women can be stalkers too.
If she shows up, maybe she was texting from her cell phone and does not spell well. Or, if she shows up and is definitely not your type, say thanks, I had a good time but there is no chemistry.
If she does not show up, then be prepared for some story. If she has to go out of town, overeas and loses her passport and money and needs you to send her some, then run the other way and turn her in as a scammer.
Been there, had it done to me but i never sent money. Good luck.
 MauriceSendak
Msg: 13
Posted: 6/12/2011 12:29:11 PM
Kat4evr, thank you for your reply. That was the type of answer I was looking for.
 KAT4EVR
Msg: 14
view profile
History
Posted: 6/12/2011 12:38:00 PM
You are welcome, good luck!!!
 safebetinvegas
Msg: 15
view profile
History
Posted: 6/12/2011 5:25:32 PM
So, what did "she" sound like on the phone ?

You did have several conversations (besides email, text) with her before agreeing to meet...right ?

Fake profiles are easy to detect. There was one gal that appeared "normal" via emails. However, she sent a vile email and blocked me after I simply asked if she had any other "photos" to post.

That one "photo" appeared to be altered and her defensive and aggressive response after a my simple request confirmed the alarm bells.

Watch yourself OP.
 Kaila4U
Msg: 16
view profile
History
Posted: 6/12/2011 10:46:34 PM
Well, have you talked over the phone? I think I would insist on a phone call before meeting lol
 UglyFroggieCritter
Msg: 17
Posted: 6/13/2011 6:25:29 AM
^^ If he hasn't been abducted or left in a ditch or something....
 _TALL_IQ2_
Msg: 18
Posted: 6/13/2011 9:21:21 AM

OP is pretty cute...maybe he was abducted...

Or worse, maybe he was meeting Natasha Hentsridge in Species III...
 Chazmanz
Msg: 19
Posted: 6/13/2011 10:39:21 AM
This girl is from africa. probably Nigeria and is probably a GUY pretending to be a girl

the ..I am a shy girl is a classic method they use, it makes you think tht she is needy some how and you can be her saviour

its as simple as that..... ditch her / him.. it will cost you money in the long run

I bet she cancells at the last minute...

seen it all before..

but its your own choice. the fact that you have this gut feeling means you probably know this already

Mike
 KAT4EVR
Msg: 20
view profile
History
Posted: 6/13/2011 3:37:09 PM
Well, did you meet her or what happened??? Or is it some other day???
BTW, you are one nice looking fireman.....too bad you aren't in my area or age group. Darn. : )
 Stray__Cat
Msg: 21
Posted: 6/13/2011 5:15:58 PM
^^^
Maybe he took your advice.
met her.
and is now tied up in some basement forced to do sordid sex stuff.
:-P

wished folks wouldn't leave us hanging when they ask advice.
 MauriceSendak
Msg: 22
Posted: 6/14/2011 11:54:21 AM
Hello fellow fishermen and fisherwomen...

Well in fact she was a real, live person! Though she is an American (born here and lived here her entire life), her parents are Vietnamese and thus English is arguably her second language. So mystery solved and a lesson learned by me. What I learned by talking with her for a couple of hours is that the Asian community and cultural ties are incredibly strong. So strong that achieving a firm grasp on the english language is really secondary to maintaining a strong cultural connection and identity. The fact that she was on a date with a "white boy" would not have sat well with her parents at all!
I found that I had to speak slowly at times, and explain certain english phrases/idioms such as "the pot calling the kettle black" - I don't know how the hell that ended up in conversation, but I guess that's what happens you're two vodka tonics deep! lol.

I still maintain however, that the whole thing SEEMED really fishy! It boggles the mind that someone who has an associates degree, was born and raised here, and works in a bank as a teller, pretty much doesn't understand english grammar. Not a judgement by any means, just an observation. It goes to show that you just never know. I went on this date with the full expectation of having a drink at the bar by myself, chuckling about the wild goose chase I'd been sent on by a couple of teenagers in Bangladesh!

I would also say, that given all the responses on this thread of people who HAVE experienced exploitive behavior on dating websites, we should all beware! Despite the fact that this was not one of those times... proceed with caution is a lesson to take away from all this.
 UglyFroggieCritter
Msg: 23
Posted: 6/14/2011 12:02:13 PM
You're alive. Thank sweet baby jesus christie brinkley. (I dunno, stuff like that just comes to me.)

Glad you didn't end up in a ditch, and actually learned something from it.

Stay safe.
 MauriceSendak
Msg: 24
Posted: 6/14/2011 12:07:19 PM
Btw, LOL! On all the comments questioning my bravery, integrity, honesty, ect. First of all, I really do apologize if the post was misleading in any way. I really was just curious as to what peoples experiences have been and thoughts on what I felt was a suspicious series of emails. Secondly, just because I have conditioned myself to go into burning buildings and see a lot of things that most people wouldn't want to see, doesn't mean that that conditioning is directly translatable to all other aspects of a persons life! Bravery can run hot and cold. It really comes down to repetition and serious study, just like anything else...

take care and good luck out there!
 _TALL_IQ2_
Msg: 25
Posted: 6/14/2011 12:16:40 PM
Well in fact she was a real, live person! Though she is an American

Whew! NOT Natasha Hentsridge!! We were worried about you!

Now understand that "common interests and culture" enhance longevity of most all relationships,
if that is what the original goals of each are..
And be careful out there in those bars! Can be ALL types of women in there! S
Show ALL Forums  > Dating Experiences  > Does this sound like fake/predatory emails???