Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Relationships  > Training and relationships x      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 RERE1026
Msg: 2
view profile
History
Training and relationships xPage 1 of 3    (1, 2, 3)
I suppose you have to decide what is most important to you. There may be a diamond in the rough out there.......
 Walts
Msg: 4
Training and relationships x
Posted: 6/19/2011 5:22:14 AM
Okay, as an OLD athlete, I'm kinda smirking here.

What do you mean by, "I do a LOT of sports", and "you train hard"???? As in, how many sports can you be going "hard" at one time????? Are you into triatholons????

And you do know you are on a "dating" site, do you not???? It sounds like you are looking for a "training" or a "running" partner?????

Personally, I DO think you are asking for a bit much from another,especially from HERE. If anything wouldn't it be prudent on your part to try and hook up with someone from your "competitions" or someone that does at least ONE of the "a lot of sports" that you do do??????

I might add, I NEVER asked any partner of mine to have a complete interest in the sports I played during my career. Hell I was happy if they would come out and watch me once in awhile, let alone understand totally what I was doing out there. I will say though, my positive relationships where with young ladys that "kinda" understood my will to compete. Even when I retired, my ex was the one that questioned me the most to make sure I was okay with what I was doing.
Good luck.
 rearguard*2
Msg: 8
view profile
History
Posted: 6/19/2011 5:43:08 AM
Pretty hard to find anyone on a dating site that is into serious training. You should do better at the gym or at the circuit of meets you participate in. In general, dating sites are for people who are lazy in some way. They want to solve the dating problem by sitting behind a computer screen and waiting for someone to come along....

The other thing is at your age, how many guys are you likely to find who are in that kind of shape and motivation. Most will be into family related issues and will not have the time to pump iron 7 days a week. Consequently, anyone you do find into that life style will be pretty unusual (i.e. no kids, no ex, either rich or poor because of not working for a living, no career to build).

I know a few women like your profile. They are all single....
 Walts
Msg: 10
Posted: 6/19/2011 5:49:59 AM

TKD 4/6 times a week, MMA once a week, Total body workout 3 times a week (sort of combat MMA killer drills) jogging once a week, trying to get another morning as have a half in September. Also I go to the gym when I can at least twice a week. Sometimes I train twice a day.

Ummmm, well you're "hooped"(or shiat outta luck in other words)

If you know any man that trains/works out as much as you do, he won't have time for YOU. Add the correct amount of food prep(and actually eating it), a job, a life(You do other "stuff" right????) and the week is basically gone. It sounds like your training,working out,etc is YOUR life and/or YOUR job. If it isn't your job, you also have to "fit" that in too. Like I tell my boss, there are only 36 hours in a day.
 _TALL_IQ2_
Msg: 19
Posted: 6/19/2011 6:33:50 AM
Ummm unhealthy obsession, when does dedication change to obsession? But thank you so much for your time x

When you purposely avoid having any time to think or having time for random human contact or making human connections at ANY social events..

Epiphany Ummmm I do believe I am using my fitness as a replacement for my relationships

I started to train a lot harder or put more hours in when the relationship did not work out last year, it helped me though a tough period. there is no hurry and to be honest I just dont have the time.

Nobody is going to chase you down and force you to make friends with them.. YOU have to make some time and put much effort in that process also..

Having an obsession may give you some feeling of control,
but realize it does NOT give you any more control in what IS the second greatest challenge in life..
Finding and maintaining a long-term SO relationship.. Which REQUIRES giving up about 50% CONTROL
to another imperfect human being like yourself... S
 JONITA
Msg: 20
view profile
History
Posted: 6/19/2011 6:37:47 AM
Have you thought about trying a fitness dating website? You might be more successful.
 Maleman999
Msg: 29
Posted: 6/19/2011 8:57:47 AM

The only thing that happened to me was that I ended up over-training and injured myself.

OP; When I first read your post, I thought you were in your late teens, or a twenty something woman fantasizing about being an Olympic gold medal winner. But at 39 years old, your body is eventually going to tell you that it had enough and you will end up with all kinds of injuries to slow you down or force you stop. You cannot defeat time and aging, no matter how hard you are working out. Then what do you have?

As for finding a guy who has the same obsession as you, who's whole life revolves around working out 24/7, lots of luck trying to find someone in your age group who's like that. If by some miracle you did find a fitness fanatic like yourself, what would you do if that guy ended up with a serious injury that ended his work out regiment? Would you dump him and go looking for another fitness fanatic to work out with? Or vice-versa: would he dump you if couldn't work out as hard and often anymore?

If you want a relationship, you should be more concerned about a guy's mental fitness instead of worrying about how hard his pecs and biceps are. If you and a guy cannot get along for whatever reason, working out would the least of your worries. Probably 90 or 95 percent of guys in you age group-late 30's, 40's-do NOT work out or workout as hard as you. Add in the fact that you have kids and a lot of guys don't want to deal with that. That narrows down the dating pond significantly, to just a trickle.
 daynadaze
Msg: 30
view profile
History
Posted: 6/19/2011 10:53:45 AM
I don't mean to come off as a smart azz but gosh, when do you have time for your kids, much less a boyfriend??? Maybe your life is too busy with your pursuits to add in a relationship, but if you do find one, he should be someone who fits in with your life since that's the life you have chosen. Your choices are going to be very limited, but like all of us, you have to do what you must so what else can you do but keep looking when you have a slot open and hope to find that person. We don't all end up with someone, and if we aren't willing to live with someone we don't want, thems the breaks. Sorry, I don't know what else to say.
 Broadway_Bess
Msg: 38
view profile
History
Posted: 12/22/2011 6:27:31 PM

Going to try and close this thread now... xxx

That's not the way these forums work. The thread nows belongs to the people...

Although you may be done with the topic, others may still have a point or two to make.
the topic will die on it's own. No need to try & kill it.

Careful about posting gibberish.
It could lead to your posting priveledges being re-assessed

BB
 Broadway_Bess
Msg: 39
view profile
History
Posted: 12/22/2011 6:31:23 PM
lol...just noticed you have actually bumped (this) your thread from June.

Yeah....drunk posting...never a good idea.
I take it things haven't gotten better?
The holidays are a tough time.
Chin up

BB
 quarked
Msg: 43
view profile
History
Posted: 12/22/2011 7:32:13 PM
OP,
You may be better served by hitting on guys at the gym you belong to. Gotta be some guys there that have caught your eye, and vice versa. Or take a more proactive approach message some guys that are into the same stuff you are. Can't count on somebody seeing your profile, so you might as well say hello.
 SweetLilGTP
Msg: 44
Posted: 12/22/2011 7:52:25 PM
Facebooks "addicted to the UFC" group. The UK is very represented, with many young eligible "blokes". You will also find new gyms where needed. Perhaps your bootcamp guy is there also (however awkward that could be)

Say hi when you see me there sometime.

Ciao killer.

And Merry Christmas ;)

bhri
Msg: 46
Posted: 12/26/2011 8:22:17 PM
I hate to say it, but the type of guy you are looking for is probably looking for someone younger. I am not telling you that you need to "settle". But you have to understand, you already have significantly limited your dating pool. And of that pool, how many are looking for someone like you? Or are they looking for "something better"?

Do you want a workout partner? Or do you want a significant other? They do not have to be mutually exclusive. But do they have to be the same? It would be easier if they were the same. Obviously fitness is important to you and should be important to a potential mate. But does it have to be just as important?

Think of what is important to you. Set your priorities accordingly. If a mate is not that high on your list, then keep up with your current schedule and requirements. If one is important, then you might have to reevaluate your priorities a little. Also, you might think about widening your dating pool just to see what it would be like. You have a certain set of requirements right now, but you do not really know if something outside of that would work (you have not tried).
 neck romancer
Msg: 52
view profile
History
Posted: 12/27/2011 11:13:17 AM
doubt OP is reading but I feel your best bet is at your gym classes. I know you say you dont have your makeup on but I dont feel you need to. Women are attractive without makeup as well and right out of the pool your body should look rather kicking! Perhaps your just so closed off to the idea that your not giving anyone a chance at the gym? Try mingling in class.
Best of luck and DO NOT SETTLE
 Ms Cheevious
Msg: 55
view profile
History
Posted: 12/28/2011 6:16:14 AM

Long distance running will make your butt droop and leave you with hip, knee, and ankle joint problems in older age. This is a proven scientific fact. It is one of the unhealthiest things people can do.

I've been a runner for 36 years. Guess I better cease immediately, lest I give new meaning to the term "dragging ass".
For several years after I joined the military...we ran in BOOTS...not specially designed footwear for runners.
I mix running with powerwalks, using 5lb ankle weights.
So far, NO problems with my butt, knees or ankles.
I'm 56. How much older do I have to get before I see these problems you mentioned??
Show ALL Forums  > Relationships  > Training and relationships x