Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Over 45  > Tats for over 45      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 karma1160
Msg: 1
Tats for over 45Page 1 of 7    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7)
With all the beautiful tats out there, does anyone ever think hmmmm, maybe?
I work in a professional field, and I am not sure it would even be allowed, but I think
eventually the world will come to see this as normal rather than rebellious.
For people who work in professional fields do you see the acceptance of tats comming soon?
 motown cowgirl
Msg: 2
Tats for over 45
Posted: 6/21/2011 8:05:49 AM
For people who work in professional fields do you see the acceptance of tats comming soon?

not for people in my generation.

but i hope i'm still around in 50 years to see all the people who thought filling their skin with metal and ink was, like, TOTALLY cool but they never took 30 seconds to consider how that would actually look by the time they've hit middle age. yeah i can't wait to see all the 60 year old beach bunny has-beens with faded out tramp stamps and 30-yr-old fugly butterflies plastered across their dried out backs. and check out those saggy boob stars!! wrinkly forearm flowers!! cankle hummingbirds!!.... nice!

a tattoo on your arm? fine. something to enjoy, but cover up with a shirt sleeve when it's appropriate. men in the military have been doing this for decades. military men have also known for decades that if you want to be respected as a professional, you have to actually look like one.
 *army mom*
Msg: 3
Tats for over 45
Posted: 6/21/2011 8:10:51 AM
Motown, you crack me up. Your sentiments mirror mine. I recently saw a woman around my age with the Harley-Davidson wings tattoed across her rather ample boobs. It was done in black ink and looked like a huge bruise from across the room. I could only imagine how frightened and/or embarrassed her grandchildren would be if they saw that hideous tat
 TDH49
Msg: 4
Tats for over 45
Posted: 6/21/2011 8:20:31 AM
yeah i can't wait to see all the 60 year old beach bunny has-beens with faded out tramp stamps and 30-yr-old fugly butterflies plastered across their dried out backs.
Is that any worst then a 75 year old woman at a nude beach who had a boob job? I saw that at a nude beach once. She looked like a wrinkled prune everywhere except for these huge boob that stood out proud as a peacock.
 Write Time
Msg: 5
view profile
History
Tats for over 45
Posted: 6/21/2011 8:24:07 AM
In general, I suspect acceptance is probably already here. I think we're past the days of scandalous.

Personally, I haven't got to the point -- and doubt I ever will -- where tats are desireable.

I don't begrudge anyone else. Just not my thing, that's all.
 moraima
Msg: 6
view profile
History
Tats for over 45
Posted: 6/21/2011 8:39:28 AM
I am a professional women, and have a humming bird tat on my neck. However, I own the company so no one get to decide if it is appropriate but me.

Having long hair, I can hide the tat for formal occasions if desired.

Certain parts of the body don't sag and make good place to put tats.

Had my tat for over a decade now. A group of female friends decided to have a tatoo party. I posed the question "what are they going to look like when we are ancient". My best friend said "When I am ancient, people will know I was fierce in middle age".

People who get them mostly aren't sorry unless they have something stupid tatooed on themselves. I couldn't careless what other people think. I did it to make me happy. If someone else doesn't like it, they aren't my kind of person anyway.

As far as professional acceptance goes, I have never seen any evidence that it is a problem. Mind I don't have half my body covered in tats.

A female friend of mine who is a doctor, has at least half her back artfully tatooed with horses. It is so beautiful that when we are on the beach, young and old come over to admire the art work.
 deepbluesee
Msg: 7
Tats for over 45
Posted: 6/21/2011 9:42:00 AM
I'm gettin' close to 60 and am considering my first tatoo, which I will have to design myself. I share the same concerns as others about age and gravity, but I plan to place it in an area that is easy to keep solid. No crisis, just a "bucket list" thing.
 c_deacon
Msg: 8
view profile
History
Tats for over 45
Posted: 6/21/2011 9:47:39 AM
Tats are fine for many of us, just as long as we know why we are getting them, that they are forever, and where one puts them.

I have worked for companies that insist one keeps their tats covered, and wearing long sleeves during the summer can be a pain for many. If one is a professional, one needs to act like it and keep what is personal just that way....private.

There are times that I have to even take out my earring when presenting because the audience is that professional and conservative. Most never know that I have body paint, and never will, unless I choose to share that.....one way or another.

cd.........
 URXO2
Msg: 9
view profile
History
Tats for over 45
Posted: 6/21/2011 10:06:05 AM
The temptation to get a tat while in the Military was fairly strong, one night almost my entire squad returned to base with tattoos, they all became severely infected within days..that ended my desire, mostly peer pressure anyway to get a tat..I wonder how many people who inject this ink under their skin end up with Hep-C later in life..

There's little to no regulation on tattoo ink, at our age if you choose to inject unregulated substances from India or China under your epidermis, well I guess it says something about your intelligence! IMO..
 moraima
Msg: 10
view profile
History
Tats for over 45
Posted: 6/21/2011 10:19:40 AM
"There's little to no regulation on tattoo ink"

In Canada, tattooing is highly regulated. Recently, in a city near me, someone unlicensed set up a shop. They were quickly shut down and the Ontario Provincial Police got involved to track down all people who received tattoos from this unlicensed facility due to the health risk. Health Canada regularly visits licensed tattoo parlours, and if the establishment breaks any health codes, they immediately shut down, and their license is terminated. Business licenses are required to be posted for clients to see.

Maybe the health regulation in Canada are one of the reasons artistic tattoos are the norm for many of the population.
 URXO2
Msg: 11
view profile
History
Tats for over 45
Posted: 6/21/2011 10:29:16 AM
That's somewhat true as far as the shop licenses in the States too, but the ink itself has no regulation.. run a check on Wikipedia if you don't believe me...
 cookie22222
Msg: 12
view profile
History
Tats for over 45
Posted: 6/21/2011 10:51:52 AM
I've never really "gotten" the whole tattoo thing...I just find it bizarre to put pictures on yourself. And I can't see how "beautiful" the "art" is...cause it just seems weird that it's on someone's body. My hangup, no one else's. I have been out with men who have had a small, easily covered tattoo, that doesn't necessarily bother me - but I don't know that I'd want to be with someone who had a lot of them all over the place.

I don't get all the piercings either...but I can look at a piece of jewelry and see the beauty in that, even though I don't wear any myself.
 moraima
Msg: 13
view profile
History
Tats for over 45
Posted: 6/21/2011 11:05:00 AM
"the ink itself has no regulation.. run a check on Wikipedia if you don't believe me..."

Please check out natural inks. Inks isn't even the right word, but I can't think of the exact name. Will ask my friend with the horses tattoo on her back, and post it. She gave me quite the explaination of the natural product used. Too bad I can't remember the exact name.
 browneyesboo
Msg: 14
Tats for over 45
Posted: 6/21/2011 11:24:57 AM
I have a tattoo. I got it a few years ago. I can show it if I want
or not show it, depending on what I wear. I'm thinking about
getting another one.

People make choices all the time. Sometimes they regret them, sometimes
not. I'm pretty sure old poots with tats rarely worry about what the heck
they look like later on in life. Who the frig cares? Not me. I hope I'm not
going to be all saggy and disgusting when I get older, but if I am, tats are
going to be the least of my (and anyone else's) worries.

I don't understand the tattoos that people get with temporary people's names
on them though...like your current girlfriend, boyfriend...what happens if you
break up? ugh.
 URXO2
Msg: 15
view profile
History
Tats for over 45
Posted: 6/21/2011 11:32:43 AM
Please check out natural inks.

There's no Federal Regulation on ink, you don't know what you're injecting...
Pathogens are all to real in our society today, to subject yourself to needless risk of a blood borne disease for a fashion statement is shortsighted foolishness, to inject a concoction of chemicals and metals for body art shows a lack of critical thought..

Pigment bases tats (wikipedia)

Manufacturers are not required to reveal their ingredients or conduct trials, and recipes may be proprietary. Professional inks may be made from iron oxides (rust), metal salts, plastics. Homemade or traditional tattoo inks may be made from pen ink, soot, dirt, blood,or other ingredients.

Heavy metals used for colors include mercury (red); lead (yellow, green, white); cadmium (red, orange, yellow); nickel (black); zinc (yellow, white); chromium (green); cobalt (blue); aluminium (green, violet); titanium (white); copper (blue, green); iron (brown, red, black); and barium (white). Metal oxides used include ferrocyanide and ferricyanide (yellow, red, green, blue). Organic chemicals used include azo-chemicals (orange, brown, yellow, green, violet) and naptha-derived chemicals (red). Carbon (soot or ash) is also used for black. Other compounds used as pigments include antimony, arsenic, beryllium, calcium, lithium, selenium, and sulphur.

Tattoo ink manufacturers typically blend the heavy metal pigments and/or use lightening agents (such as lead or titanium) to reduce production costs
 Janet_Always
Msg: 16
Tats for over 45
Posted: 6/21/2011 11:38:57 AM
I don't mind tattoos on other people, but I wouldn't get one myself. I'm just not that comfortable with ornaments... even the occasional jewelry I wear tends to be more conservative, less flashy -- though I always admire others that seem to have the flair to wear them.
 Molly Maude
Msg: 17
view profile
History
Tats for over 45
Posted: 6/21/2011 11:44:23 AM
the girl my youngest son married came with tattoos and has even added more since I've known her ... she's a beautiful, delightful young woman ...

I ended up paying for the wedding (long, boring story) ... which included the floor-length wedding gown she picked out that had a tierra with elbow length veil, featuring a scooped neckline and long lace sleeves ...

I thought it looked incongruous when she walked up the aisle in antique white tule and lace ... with the tats on her hands and arms showing clearly through the lace ... I didn't comment and neither did anyone else ... but we're a very polite family ...

or it could have just been MY impression ONLY that the antique lace just didn't "go with" the tats ...

moraima
Msg: 18
view profile
History
Tats for over 45
Posted: 6/21/2011 12:15:16 PM
"There's no Federal Regulation on ink"

So USA Federal Regulation or the lack there of, covers the USA, but not other countries.

Natural inks are made from plants. Made right here in Canada, and are regulated.

Holistic meds, plus simple things like vitamins in Canada, require the manufacturer to pay $50,000. per product to have it certified to meet Health Canada Standards. If they won't comply, they don't get to sell it here.

U make it entertaining
Msg: 19
Tats for over 45
Posted: 6/21/2011 2:51:16 PM

For our age group ... no I don't.

I am not a tattoo lover.
I think it is mostly because of my age.
Tattoos have come around as a way of the young rebelling.
We've done the bald heads, piercings, and now tattoos.

I wonder what the next generation will bring.
Each generation wants to shock and be different then their parents.
So we'll just have to wait and see.

Because I don't like tattoos, I hold no say as to what my kids do.
Each one has one, or two.
Even my daughter-in-law has one, and she is someone of importance in the University system.

I always told my kids, not to ask me for permission until they were of age to do it themselves.
However my son managed to change my mind.

He has his OHIP number tattooed on his hip.
Every time we ended up in emergency (and that was MANY times due to his sports activities),
he had forgotten his OHIP card.
All he had to do was pull down his trousers and show the nurse his number.
Great laugh had by all.

Great idea for ADDers!
As he would forget everything.

You know ... now that I think about it ... having everyone tattoo their name on their forehead would be very beneficial.
Well at least for me.
 IgorFrankensteen
Msg: 20
view profile
History
Tats for over 45
Posted: 6/21/2011 4:29:46 PM
I expect to see stick-on, computer controlled advertisements on people's skin soon. Electronic tat's that you can change with some careful keystrokes on a wireless touchpad.

Tat's on a Supreme Court Justice, and the CEO of IBM have to happen before they could possibly begin to be seen as Business-acceptable.
 junipermoon
Msg: 21
view profile
History
Tats for over 45
Posted: 6/21/2011 5:05:44 PM
we have several secretaries and accountants at the law firm where i work who have tattoos. no one bats an eye.
 mateo45
Msg: 22
view profile
History
Tats for over 45
Posted: 6/21/2011 6:29:12 PM
Folks aren't ever gonna agree on tats 'cuz it's a "cultural" thang.... just like some people don't "get" loud Harleys, NASCAR, WalMart, Confederate flags, big 4X trucks, lotsa drinkin', smokin' and eating "junk food", or C/W singers like Gretchen Wilson and Tobey Keith.

BTW, for better or worse, I notice these just "happen" to be a lot of the same folks who also appreciate the finer points of tattoo "culture". But maybe that's just a coincidence.
 soicat
Msg: 23
Tats for over 45
Posted: 6/21/2011 7:16:00 PM

we have several secretaries and accountants at the law firm where i work who have tattoos. no one bats an eye.

Don't be too sure. I've fired secretaries because they've looked like they should've been strolling the blade instead of working in an office; someone would have to be much better than average at their work before I'd overlook a lot of ink.
 forumfishie
Msg: 24
Tats for over 45
Posted: 6/21/2011 7:20:28 PM
If you like them
Get them, why not?

I would say just don't get them on your neck or your face, teardrops,
or your fingers,
Then people think you are an ex-inmmate

I don't get the "look at me" factor, it's kind of childish
but between that and the hardware on the eyelids,
well, neither.
but
Go for it
 Welsh474
Msg: 25
Tats for over 45
Posted: 6/21/2011 7:23:43 PM
I work in a very professional office, professional field and no one has tattoos that are remotely visible. They wouldn't get hired.

Not saying I didn't toss the idea around when I hit 50 but then as I looked around they didn't look all that attractive on aging skin. I can't image a tramp stamp on some 75 year old. Even women in their 50's have sagging skin - it's a natural aging process - we don't have that smooth skin we did when we were 18.

And I like how everyone says it makes a milestone or they're being an "individual", uh huh, just like the gazillion other "individuals" out there.
Show ALL Forums  > Over 45  > Tats for over 45