Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Broken Hearts  > Fraud      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 kaylanicholas
Msg: 1
view profile
History
FraudPage 1 of 4    (1, 2, 3, 4)
How do you keep your self from fraud when on a dating online?
I got caught in one just recently. It makes it so hard for me to trust
men. For one thing that I learned dont trust until you actually
see the person. they can be using someone elses pictures and info.
This person played mind games and took me for $500 and I just kept
probing for as much info that I could find. He had a friend send me a
money order because he was out of the country so he wanted me to cash
it at my bank and send it to him western union. So since I was curious, I
called the phone number on the back of the money and they told me that
the money order was under investigation for fraud. So I voided it , called
my local law enforment and sent the money order back. It is currently under
investigation. Dont ever take a money order from someone that you dont really
know. They are not secure and you could lose your money or get prison time.
 Cdn_Iceman
Msg: 2
Fraud
Posted: 6/22/2011 3:23:43 PM
I guess you dont read the warnings POF posts, all sorts of scam jobs out there.
I hope you learned a lesson Never give a stranger money, or cash cheques/Money Order you name it.

How do you keep your self from fraud ..... Easy... Never lend or take money.
If the guy is out of the country on business eg, Africa, Russia etc.... delete and block him.
If they give a yahoo address.... block and delete
If they profess their undying love for after the 2nd email... block and Delete
If they tell you the war lord has executed most their families, you send them the number of the FBI or Interpol.

Its really simple, you use common sense .
 Walts
Msg: 3
Fraud
Posted: 6/22/2011 3:32:43 PM
This "scam" has been going on forever. Do NOT trust anyone you have NEVER met, and for those that you have, make sure money is not something you exchange unless you are willing to "lose" it. It's bad enough we get our heart broken, no need to empty our purses and wallets at the same time.
 IgorFrankensteen
Msg: 4
view profile
History
Fraud
Posted: 6/22/2011 3:35:36 PM
never give or lend anything you will be upset by never seeing again.

That, and google "internet scams" and READ READ READ.
 forumfishie
Msg: 5
Fraud
Posted: 6/22/2011 3:54:30 PM
Girl!
Where have you been??
That is the OLDEST trick in the scammers book!

I guess now you know it.

"How do you keep your self from fraud when on a dating online?"

Don't send anybody money before you meet them
Meet them in person
See they are who they say they are
If they ask you for money then
Don't give them any
Don't give people money for anything at any time
 scottey63
Msg: 6
view profile
History
Fraud
Posted: 6/22/2011 5:52:02 PM
Sorry you got taken, but gosh, these stories are all over the local news where I live. Yet people are still taken in by these scams. I don't get it.
 woobytoodsday
Msg: 7
Fraud
Posted: 6/22/2011 5:58:29 PM
Simple rule: only give 'em money if you're married to 'em. And then only if they've proved themselves trustworthy. There, done.

MsMuscleChick
Msg: 8
Fraud
Posted: 6/22/2011 6:07:44 PM
I won't even take a phone number from anyone, let alone money orders. LOL
 WalksOnWater2
Msg: 9
Fraud
Posted: 6/22/2011 7:57:23 PM
My spam folder fills up every day with mail "notifications" for checks waiting for me to be cashed, from every freakin country in the world. Where do you live in the mountains?

This has been going on since I was young and I ain't no more. POF has warnings everywhere about people who ask you for money and personal info....
 U make it entertaining
Msg: 10
Fraud
Posted: 6/22/2011 8:48:08 PM
Well ... you learned a valuable lesson, and it didn't cost you anything except experience.

You got off easy.

I can't say that this is a reason for you to not trust men.

More like, learn to trust your own judgment.
 Island home
Msg: 11
Fraud
Posted: 6/22/2011 9:04:40 PM
I can't say that this is a reason for you to not trust men.

More like, learn to trust your own judgment.

Yes.
Allow your self to judge.
Just don't become judgemental
 daynadaze
Msg: 12
view profile
History
Fraud
Posted: 6/22/2011 11:22:01 PM
Well I don't mean to sound like a smartazz, but how could anyone fall for that old scam? No one would ever ask you for money of any kind in any form, ever, if they wanted to meet you as in being interested in dating you. Anyone should know not to send anyone money.

Kitten189
Msg: 13
Fraud
Posted: 6/23/2011 2:32:47 AM
Why is this in "Broken Hearts" ?

Op,did you NOT meet this man and you got scammed?

Please use common sense and dont EVER give a total stranger money.....
 sum1reel
Msg: 14
Fraud
Posted: 6/23/2011 6:46:24 AM

It makes it so hard for me to trust men.

This is not about trusting "men"....you can't know who it was you were talking with, anyone could have done this..........you got taken for the oldest scam going, so the person whose trust you should be questioning is your own!!!!
 ChrisD1957
Msg: 15
Fraud
Posted: 6/23/2011 9:56:45 AM
Come on, seriously? You get scammed by someone online and you talk about trusting men? This scam is old, I always wondered why these old scams dont dissapear because no one could possibly fall for them and then someone does.

Well, this may be my last post as I am planning on taking a trip around the world with the 2,000,000 pounds I won on the UK lottery!!
 motown cowgirl
Msg: 16
Fraud
Posted: 6/23/2011 11:39:03 AM
i have to ask... have you been hiding under a rock?
were you home schooled?
raised by a pack of wild sheep?

it's hard to believe somebody would be naive enough to give money to a stranger you met ON THE INTERNET under ANY CIRCUMSTANCES.

on the other hand, hordes of nigerians can't be wrong.
 OutMind
Msg: 17
Fraud
Posted: 6/23/2011 12:27:53 PM
I guess I am not going to see my 2,000 that I gave to that hot Russian girl from Kiev.

ekw1234
Msg: 18
Fraud
Posted: 6/23/2011 8:58:23 PM
Why would anyone give someone money on the internet, really? Come on now!!!! Be rsponsible!
 forums1
Msg: 19
Fraud
Posted: 6/24/2011 12:03:36 AM
I can't believe in this day and age when there are so many known 'internet frauds' that have been documented, mainstream articles written about people getting scammed by them, etc, that someone would *still* fall for it.

That being said, OP - My Name is Mr. Forums Scambala from Nigeria, I have a client who is set to inherit $40Trillion, however they are in need of cash in order to arrange for the release of the funds - of which they will gladly 'reward' you with $10Trillion of that once they receive the funds. Please kindly accept this plea for help, and send $500 for us to facilitate the release of the funds, to:

Mr Forums Scambala
10927 Ripoff Street
Fraudtown, Nigeria

My client and I will be patiently waiting for your check, and sincerely appreciate your prompt response in this matter.

OutMind
Msg: 20
Fraud
Posted: 6/24/2011 10:46:48 AM
In this day and age this is happening all the time. For instance, I still get contacted by people ready to do a scam, particularly in Match. It's amazing that they don't police that place that well.
 mjlicklid
Msg: 21
Fraud
Posted: 6/25/2011 10:17:31 AM
20/20 had a show about this last night.. I've been online dating for a while now (probably for the past 10 or so years).. I've talked to two russian girls.. They would send me provacative picture of themself.. and say things like "I look forward to your emails", etc.. then after a couple weeks they ask me to send them money so they can get a visa and come see me.. I never send them money.. Never have, never will.. In fact there was this girl on here a couple nights ago.. She sent me a message "I can't upload a pic but give me your email address".. I knew it was a scam.. been there before.. I reported her.. Her profile was deleted the next day.. SO if I can give anyone, any advise.. DO NOT SEND MONEY TO ANYONE.. It's a SCAM..
 mjlicklid
Msg: 22
Fraud
Posted: 6/25/2011 10:21:14 AM
Maybe, I'm just a little bit smarter than the rest of you..
 mjlicklid
Msg: 23
Fraud
Posted: 6/25/2011 10:25:11 AM
I guess it come down to, how desperate and lonely you are.. also it could be how much self-esteem you have.. to get taken..
 PasionLatina0529
Msg: 24
Fraud
Posted: 6/26/2011 4:23:35 PM
Consider yourself lucky....back a bit I "fell" for someone and he had sent me nacklace - really nice...probably fake...but I believed him and final outcome was I sent him $500 and knew after that I had gotten scammed...now Im the wiser...hard lesson learned..
 MidnightSatin
Msg: 25
Fraud
Posted: 6/28/2011 2:38:59 PM
I understand how easy it may be to fall for these scams. Just realize that if someone loves you, they will still love you even if you say no. I talked to a guy in Scotland for 5 months who professed his love for me and even proposed marriage. Then he asked me for $7,000.00 for his "daughters" operation. Then he asked me for $4,000.00 for problems relating to his job. I told him no and that was the end of our relationship. Fortunately, I am tight with my money so I didn't lose anything. After that, I was contacted by another man who proceeded to ask me to pay for his and his son's ticket to the states from Malaysia because his job ended and he was paid in american dollars and couldn't find a bank there to cash such a large check. So I'd like to say these scams come from everywhere not just Nigeria. I even talked to the guy in Scotland and had an address in Scotland. So be aware that it is not just Nigeria. There are even scammers in the USA. So let's not try to isolate this to a particular country, that's just the name of a particular scam. Scams come in all different sizes, shapes, and forms. Just learn to say no.
Show ALL Forums  > Broken Hearts  > Fraud