Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Off Topic  > Airlines bans infants from first class.      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 TDH49
Msg: 1
Airlines bans infants from first class.Page 1 of 4    (1, 2, 3, 4)
Malaysia airlines became the first airline to put a ban on infants traveling in first class. Says they did it because too many people were complaining about not getting enough sleep because of crying babies. So no kid under the age of 2 can fly in first class on their plane.

Do you agree with this? Do you think that if you are spending upwards of 5000 dollars for a ticket you should be able to sleep without a crying baby bugging you?.

Is this not a form of discrimination?.

Is this not another slippery slope? Today it's infants under two. The next airline will then go to toddlers under 4 and the age will keep going up until only adults will be allowed in first class.

Should infants be allowed to fly in first class or are you ok with giving the first class passengers special treatment?

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/life/the-hot-button/airline-bans-babies-from-first-class-cabins/article2079483/
 shakeitupbaby2012
Msg: 2
Airlines bans infants from first class.
Posted: 6/29/2011 2:36:02 PM
It's a service-based company and I'd go with what the majority of the customers want if I'm
Going to run a biz.
I feel for the parent of the infant but if I'm paying ca- ching for a luxury right, I don't want to be kept up all night.
 Welsh474
Msg: 3
Posted: 6/29/2011 2:57:12 PM
I agree with the airline limiting children from first class. The same should apply to some upper end restaurants and a few other things. We have adult only cruises, vacation destinations, etc., why not flights. It's only first class, it's not like they can't fly at all.

I've had the 6 hours flight with some nose picker kicking the seat behind me or screaming the whole way - I'd pay the extra to do an adult only flight. I did a 11 hour flight to London with some 12 year old popping his gum in the seat behind me - gets a little tiring after the first 4 hours. You can turn around and glare at the kid all you want, Mom and Dad just think that their little precious is the best thing since sliced bread and the world should bow down to them. Okay, I'm venting...

I don't think this decison will affect the company's bottom line at all, may even increase it. It's a great idea.
 CallmeKen
Msg: 4
Posted: 6/29/2011 3:00:33 PM

Malaysia airlines became the first airline to put a ban on infants traveling in first class.

Malaysia employs 13 and 14 year old children in dangerous, sweat shop conditions to make some of the clothing that you and I wear on a regular basis. For slave wages, might I add.

And you're worried about them in first class?

Is this not a form of discrimination?.

Perhaps. But this is definately a form of misplaced priorities and consumer blindness.
 forumrun4
Msg: 5
Posted: 6/29/2011 3:18:49 PM
This is good to know...people take flights to get away from others and thier jobs and especially children. Mostly thier own . I say ban the HST and kids . I like a bit of class so i do not want any children around me when i plan on flirting with the pilot
 IgorFrankensteen
Msg: 6
view profile
History
Posted: 6/29/2011 3:24:48 PM
I'm with the logic of the business people. You can be sure that if they discover that their decision seems to result in a drop in first class bookings, that they will reverse it. AND, since the decision was CLEARLY driven, NOT by prejudice, but by actual complaints, that your fears of a "slippery slope" do not apply.
The only thing you can count on, from any business (not run by pure idealists or nuts, or by people unconcerned with profits), is that they will choose to do things that positively affect their bottom line.

I wonder how many people WITH very small, new children, can AFFORD to travel first class?
 motown cowgirl
Msg: 7
Posted: 6/29/2011 3:46:05 PM
i think they should put infants in cages and stick them down in cargo with the dogs.
oh and by the way, keep them out of restaurants and movie theaters too.
 Molly Maude
Msg: 8
view profile
History
Posted: 6/29/2011 4:04:20 PM
omg ... do you mean my DOG would have to be in cargo? omg!

since I haven't been able to afford first class in a couple of decades now ... the quality of service in first class no longer matters to me ... but ... for those who CAN afford to pay the big bucks ... they deserve what they've paid for! first class treatment! that probably would exclude most babies ... and lots of dogs!
 TDH49
Msg: 9
Posted: 6/29/2011 4:06:59 PM
It's a service-based company and I'd go with what the majority of the customers want if I'm
Going to run a biz.
Actually it's only a very small percentage of passenger that are in first class. The vast "majority" of passengers are in the back of the plane. Those passengers I am sure are totally opposed to taking kids from first class and bringing them to the back of the plane. So obviously this has NOTHING to do with what the "majority" want. It's actually being driven by the minority.

I feel for the parent of the infant but if I'm paying ca- ching for a luxury right, I don't want to be kept up all night.
Yes, God forbid Rich people should miss any sleep. Obviously the poor Riff Raffs in the back of the plane don't need any sleep. "Toss the rugrats back there with the little people, let them stay up all night. We after all are much more important and need our sleep."

I seem to remember a time not too long ago when people of color was also forced to travel in the back of the bus. Forgive me if I take offence to ANYBODY being subjected to the same thing. Even if it's just an infant.

"We are bound by an inescapable garment of mutuality, whatever affects one directly, affects all indirectly."
-Dr. Martin Luther King, jr.
 MsMuscleChick
Msg: 10
Posted: 6/29/2011 4:17:10 PM
I hope they all do it. Nothing more annoying than a screaming baby . I normally do not drink and when I hear that on a plane, out comes the Gin. I know it is not something people can control. Now if the Airlines would ban all the carry on strollers, high chairs and other BS that fills up space and makes it take longer to board a plane. It is so tragic watching these parents with all this crap trying to get down the aisle and over head bins. Really? Talk about safety issues.

I fly first class for more leg room, not so much to sleep. The seats are more comfy. Especially since they do not have weight requirements. Ever sit in the regular fair portion of an aircraft and have some giant person who needs 3 seats shove themselves into ONE seat next to you? Yeah, that is fun. NOT.

First Class pays more, they are NOT getting special treatment. If I pay an extra chunk of change, keep the babies in back...or in cargo.
 _xxxxxxxxx_
Msg: 11
Posted: 6/29/2011 4:21:27 PM

clearly this isn't enuf;
under 2's fly free with most airlines and get the bulkhead seats..so my vote is for crating and chloroforming the nose pickers ( the four legged's shouldn't have to put up
with the non-stop wailing either) ..
 TDH49
Msg: 12
Posted: 6/29/2011 4:44:32 PM

clearly this isn't enuf;
under 2's fly free with most airlines and get the bulkhead seats..so my vote is for crating and chloroforming the nose pickers ( the four legged's shouldn't have to put up
with the non-stop wailing either)
Funny how some people can easily have there judgement clouded by bias. For the most part we have all been put out on a flight by a crying child. Obviously this fact is so clouding some people judgement that they are totally willing to look past blatant discrimination.
 jasonsgt
Msg: 13
view profile
History
Posted: 6/29/2011 5:10:05 PM
I dont see a problem with it. I am paying more money to enjoy all the comforts that come with first class...and crying babies isnt one of them.

Discrimination...wow, didnt see that one coming.
 TDH49
Msg: 14
Posted: 6/29/2011 5:25:12 PM
This situation has nothing to do with colour, and you know it.
Never said it did...But it has EVERYTHING to do with discrimination, and that was my point.

If anything, the "majority" that you're speaking of being subjected to "the same thing" would be, in this case, ALL of the people who can't afford to fly first class being stuck in the back cabin. Since you also state this is the majority of any airline's customers, how is this really discrimination? It would seem to me to be the norm for most to travel coach.
You are way too intelligent to be trying this magicians trick sweetness. If the parent of an infant can afford to pay for a first class ticket, then they should be able to buy such a ticket, otherwise they are being treated differently then other passengers. What would you call that if not discrimination?

Hell, ban infants from all flights, so that the rest of us poor rubes aren't subjected to the wailing too.
Yea, your right, nothing wrong with a little civil right violation as long as we are just a bit more comfortable.

What about that bratty kid kicking the back of your seat, should we ban him too?.
Or that obese person sitting next to us, should we ban him/her too for taking up too much room and making us uncomfortable?
And that man/woman who can't seem to stop talking while your trying to sleep, should we ban them too?
Don't forget that person with BO sitting right next to us...Damn straight we should ban him/her.

If these people traveling in first class is so concerned about a little noise, maybe they should just pool their money together and travel by charter. Or spend a little bit on a set of noise reduction head phones.

FrankNStein902
Msg: 15
Posted: 6/29/2011 5:38:00 PM

You are way too intelligent to be trying this magicians trick sweetness. If the parent of an infant can afford to pay for a first class ticket, then they should be able to buy such a ticket, otherwise they are being treated differently then other passengers. What would you call that if not discrimination?

Keep in mind that most airlines do not require you to pay for an extra seat if you are traveling with a child under the age of 2.

So if they are not buying a seat then it is not discrimination.

I bet if you said you are going to buy a seat for that 2 year old they would be ok with it.

Or spend a little bit on a set of noise reduction head phones.

Best travel investment I have made.

I will put them on with no music just to block most cabin noise.
 shakeitupbaby2012
Msg: 16
Posted: 6/29/2011 6:40:59 PM
Actually it's only a very small percentage of passenger that are in first class. The vast "majority" of passengers are in the back of the plane. Those passengers I am sure are totally opposed to taking kids from first class and bringing them to the back of the plane. So obviously this has NOTHING to do with what the "majority" want. It's actually being driven by the minority.

I was referring to the majority of the first class passengers. Evidently there are enough complaints to warrant the change.

Yes, God forbid Rich people should miss any sleep. Obviously the poor Riff Raffs in the back of the plane don't need any sleep. "Toss the rugrats back there with the little people, let them stay up all night. We after all are much more important and need our sleep."

You're taking my quote out of context or simply asserting your own feelings into mine.
There are all kinds of people in first class.
Would someone who had to save for years to take a special trip not want to enjoy it?

You assume that I dont think that everyone should enjoy their trip.
Perhaps the airlines should have a first class family section in the rear,
Or a section for people with children at the same fare as coach etc.
Or a flight that's solely family oriented.

You asked what was thought of based on the airlines not allowing infants in first class. It's their biz- their perogative.
 BigBadNIrish
Msg: 17
Posted: 6/29/2011 7:22:29 PM
Gawddayum you all trying to keep me n my kids outta first class....in the year 2030 when we have enough milage points to actually get an upgrade...well, I'll be dead n the kids won't be kids ...I guess it doesn't matter...sulks in the corner....
 Gashlycrumb_Briny
Msg: 18
Posted: 6/29/2011 7:25:57 PM

maybe they should just pool their money together and travel by charter

First class tickets cost about ten times what an economy ticket does. To some extent the first class travellers are subsidizing the rest of us in the back.

1,000 UK business travellers were asked what annoys them about first class travel. 74 per cent said children. 18 per cent were riled by travellers on a free upgrade when they had paid full whack. 15 per cent wanted more privacy from travellers in economy. And 12 per cent were upset when they pay first class rates and get an economy standard service.

http://www.businesstravelshow.com/en/press/pressreleases/11-02-02/BUSINESS_TRAVELLERS_CALL_FOR_KIDS_BAN.aspx

The airline provides a service; it makes sense to listen to the customers who use the service the most frequently and to the greatest profit.

If there is enough demand, maybe a niche airline for pax-with-infants will sprout up. Baby Air. Fly with us, cry with us. But I doubt it.
 gardenias2
Msg: 19
Posted: 6/29/2011 10:41:05 PM
it's a discriminative practice in that the rest of the passengers in economy and business class still suffer with the little screamers. why are passengers in first class more special than economy? that's the problem right there, the frikken caste system.

and it doesn't seem right or healthy to me for infants to fly in airplanes. that's why they scream on flights, it probably gives them a migrane.
 nipoleon
Msg: 20
view profile
History
Posted: 6/30/2011 2:15:13 AM
" Sorry Mr. & Mrs. Important Big Shots ... you and that little rug rat will have to go back and sit with the peons in coach ".
The nobility in 1st class have sensitive ears.
 OMG!WTF!
Msg: 21
view profile
History
Posted: 6/30/2011 5:16:52 AM
Not to change the subject or anything, but it's kind of like kids screaming in movie theatres or restaurants. Polite parents hustle the little brats out to the car so people who've paid ten bucks, TEN BUCKS, to watch the movie don't get mad. I guess the problem is you can't really leave the airplane until your little screamer calms down.

I seem to remember a time not too long ago when people of color was also forced to travel in the back of the bus. Forgive me if I take offence to ANYBODY being subjected to the same thing. Even if it's just an infant

That actually seems really insulting to black people. These two issues aren't even close.
 TDH49
Msg: 22
Posted: 6/30/2011 5:40:31 AM
You asked what was thought of based on the airlines not allowing infants in first class. It's their biz- their perogative.
Would you make the same statement if it was a business who were discriminating in a way you found offensive. say for example they were discriminating against women?.

That actually seems really insulting to black people
Thank's for telling me what I should find insulting.

These two issues aren't even close
As seen through YOUR eyes not mine. With me there is no different levels of discrimination. Either it's discrimination or it isn't. I'm either against ALL form of discrimination or I am against none.

I can't say I'm against age discrimination but ok with a infants being forced to sit in the back of a plane because of his/her age.

I can't say I'm for gay rights but that I'm ok a mother and child not having the same choices every other passenger have while traveling.

Some things have no middle ground. They are clearly either black or white with no grey area. Discrimination happens to be one of those things in my opinion. You can't be ok with some form of discrimination and against other's.... That just makes you a first class hypocrite.

"Injustice ANYWHERE is a threat to justice EVERYWHERE". MLK

I doubt the posters who's judgement is being clouded by their own bad experiences with screaming kids on airplanes can see this. But it's not hard for me to put my own bad experiences with kids on planes aside, and view this for what it actually is.
 Butterfly~Effect
Msg: 23
Posted: 6/30/2011 6:01:43 AM
I agree with Holly.

I don't see how you can make the comparison between a person of any color and an infant.

Normally, Adults (whether they are black, white, brown or purple) do not scream at the top of their lungs...cry uncontrollably, spit up, burp, or crap their pants while sitting on a plane.

The chances of me flying first class are about as high as me flying an elephant to my destination....BUT if I was to pay that amount of money to fly first class and had to listen to a hysterical baby the whole time...I'd be upset.

My son is 6 and for the enjoyment of other passengers....I wouldn't fly first class. He talks constantly and is extremely inquisitive. While I enjoy his constant chatter....I would completely understand that not everyone else (especially someone trying to sleep or work) would receive the same pleasure.
 TDH49
Msg: 24
Posted: 6/30/2011 6:04:05 AM

But the topics are very different. A gay person, a woman, a person of any color, unless those people are disturbing other passengers, they should not be discriminated against. An infant screaming (and I DID recently experience this) for an entire flight disturbs other passengers. In the extreme. It IS a very different issue.
Somebody made the silly argument that it's what the "majority" in first class wants so that makes it ok. If the "majority" in first class decides that they don't want any gays in first class , should gays be forced to travel with the Riff Raffs in the back?.

Fact is not ALL infants cry while traveling. I have been on flights where some baby either slept or was quiet as a mouse the whole trip. Those kids aren't taken into account when they made this decision. They are just all bundled up together and tossed in the back of the plane.

You seem to be trying to make the argument that selective discrimination is ok. That's your opinion. One I totally and utterly disagree with by the way.
 TDH49
Msg: 25
Posted: 6/30/2011 6:24:12 AM

TDH this may be the most ridiculous arguement you have launched here and you have a few doozies to your credit. How you can even suggest with a straight face that it is discrimination to move screaming babies out of first class is beyond me.
Missing a very key point here Cowboy. They are NOT doing it on a case by case basic and moving crying kids out of first class. They are moving ALL kids out of first class before they get a chance to start screaming. Purely based on assumptions.

They just want screaming babies out of first class so the people that paid HUGE DOLLARS for that seat have a comfortable flight? And you can't grasp how that might be important?
So they toss them out of first class in with the Riff Raffs, thus making the people in the back more uncomfortable. And you can't grasp how some might view that as totally wrong?

Look if I paid 7 grand for a ticket from NY or LA and had a screaming kid next to me the whole way I would be pizzed beyond belief. And would write the airline and badger them for a refund. I mean I would hound their azz!
Since this is the first airline that's tried this I'm sure crying kids in first class has happened many time before. Just as with anything else when it comes to traveling, you roll the dice and take your chances. You can hound them all you want but I doubt it would get you anywhere.

Now if I paid $210 for economy seats (where I usually ride) I would just order 2 more drinks and think it was the norm.
But it is the norm. Even in first class. Fact is if that crying kids parents can afford to fly first class the kid will just be keeping them awake instead of you. That's the chances we take while traveling. Sometimes it's the Riff Raffs that get kept awake by a screaming kid, other times it's the first class passengers.

But your discrimination claims are beyond absurd.
If I have 7 gran to buy a first class ticket and am told I can't do it while other's can. What would you call that if not a form of discrimination?.

Fact is I doubt very much if any North American based Airline would ever think about putting such a policy in place. But it's not totally unexpected from an oriental airline.
Show ALL Forums  > Off Topic  > Airlines bans infants from first class.