Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Off Topic  > Casey Anthony found not guilty      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 cookie22222
Msg: 1
view profile
History
Casey Anthony found not guiltyPage 1 of 7    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7)
I was in meeting with my boss, and we could hear a bruhaha through her door - turns out Casey Anthony was acquitted on the charges of killing her daughter. I have to say people here are really angry, upset, and can't believe it actually. From the news coverage I was pretty sure she was going to be found guilty. Anyone have any idea why this verdict would come back?
 forumrun4
Msg: 2
Casey Anthony found not guilty
Posted: 7/5/2011 12:14:09 PM
For three years i have followed the media coverage of this case.

Was it the over welming one sided guilt put forth that led people to believe she did it. Maybe the people never heard enough of the side of not guilt. I know not what to think at THIS POINT. I really would like to hear from casey anthony about her
late daughter. And if she did not do it....WHO DID.

Who took caylees life.
 CallmeKen
Msg: 3
Posted: 7/5/2011 12:29:40 PM

Anyone have any idea why this verdict would come back?

The jury gave the verdict because 12 men and women heard the evidence presented and could not beyond a reasonable doubt prove her guilt. End of story.

What I find disturbing is that some in the crowd outside the courthouse were shouting, "Appeal!" Apparently they didn't pay attention when the Fifth Amendment to the Constitution was explained in social studies class.
 forumrun4
Msg: 4
Posted: 7/5/2011 12:41:54 PM
Could it be that caylee died while the family was busy with thier own shite..then
after a mass family meeting..casey was sent away to do her weird antics and the parents covered it up....then 31 days later put out the missing report.
Gezzz....what a 3 year journey for not....
 femaleconnection
Msg: 5
Posted: 7/5/2011 1:05:10 PM
The jury had no choice, the burden of proof beyond a reasonable doubt was not presented to the jury.

Half the stuff we saw in the media/news (if you want to call it 'news') was not presented to the jury, because it was hearsay and gossip. These tidbits did a good job of swaying public perception in the prosecutors favour, but the prosecutor was supposed to present hard core proof to the jury, not provide the public with ammo to form an opinion. The prosecutor failed.

I also think the mother played a role, but I cant prove it beyond a reasonable doubt.

And really, seeing how much that entire family does lie, who can say some other relative didnt play a role? Untill you have proof, you cannot prosecute.
 daynadaze
Msg: 6
view profile
History
Posted: 7/5/2011 1:10:21 PM
It would seem that in Florida you can kill your children or being negligent in their care letting them die, cover it up, lie, party it up and leave your child's body to rot, as long as you have family who will lie for you and you lie enough to make the case look like a joke.
 cookie22222
Msg: 7
view profile
History
Posted: 7/5/2011 1:24:00 PM
I have I believe an adequate understanding of how the courts work, and I don't enjoy Nancy Grace either. I certainly understand that what gets bandied about on TV is not all heard by the jury (nor should it be). And I get that I wasn't in the court room.

My question was, was there something I missed in the testimony from the defense that would have caused the jurors to have reasonable doubt. Perhaps my wording was cloudy.

The one point about there being doubt about which relative was involved in the child's death was food for thought. Thank you to that poster.

And BTW in my original post when I said - "people here are really angry, upset, and can't believe it actually." Please keep in mind the "here" I'm referring to is a child welfare office. Perhaps the reaction in this line of work is out of step with that of the general public?
 IgorFrankensteen
Msg: 8
view profile
History
Posted: 7/5/2011 1:30:24 PM
This is just like the OJ mess, in that AGAIN, there were TWO, simultaneous trials being held. One in the courtroom, and one over the airwaves.

In the OJ case, I remember in particular that at LEAST 75% of what was said over the air, was prevented from reaching the jury, sometimes for good reason (hearsay). I expect the same thing happened here.

I really wish there were laws against cases like this BEING broadcast. I think if the jury is sequestered, the press should be kept out too. It's the only way to stop this sort of nonsense.

An no, Dyna, it is NOT true that ANY state wants, or has declared though such cases, that murder is okay. You HAVE to understand that we were NOT the jury, no matter that our undisciplined, loud-mouthed, profiteering "news" media reporters tried to make us feel that we were.
 forumrun4
Msg: 9
Posted: 7/5/2011 1:58:09 PM
HERES A THEORY...maybe meter reader, whom knew the family..area..
took caylee....like that nut whom abducted that smith girl...then
led police to the body...like other killers have done....to be a part of the whole
scene...
 verygreeneyez
Msg: 10
Posted: 7/5/2011 3:11:47 PM

The jury had no choice, the burden of proof beyond a reasonable doubt was not presented to the jury.

Precisely.

FYI: If you where not present in the court house for all the testimony you have no idea what the verdict should be.

If you think you can decide a murder case based on what you hear on the news, maybe it is time to turn off the TV.

FYI: The entire case was on (formerly) CourtTV. So those of us who did watch it all (thank God for DVRs) were privy to the evidence presented.

HERES A THEORY...maybe meter reader, whom knew the family..area..
took caylee....like that nut whom abducted that smith girl...then
led police to the body...like other killers have done....to be a part of the whole
scene...

That meter reader is a very suspicious part of this trial. His son did some REAL damage to the Prosecution when he testified. That was likely one witness the Prosecutors wish they had not called.

~OT~ This case is truly very sad. No one wins in this situation. As for the verdict? 12 people unanimously decided (within a short time period) that their personal views on the evidence presented, was not enough to convict. It's very simple. 7 women and 5 men, all of different backgrounds, ethnicity, professions, socio-economics, religions, etc., made their decision. This speaks pretty loudly about what the evidence provided proved or didn't prove. This may emotionally outrage the vast majority of people, but that doesn't mean she's guilty of the crime(s) she was charged with. Trying someone in the media is vastly different than trying someone in a court of law. JMO

The alternate jurors are speaking with the press now ~ and so far, not one of them disagrees with the verdict. This means more than 12 people felt "not guilty" was the appropriate verdict in this case.
 totalazzhole
Msg: 11
Posted: 7/5/2011 3:57:50 PM
she was found 'not guilty' because she was a reasonably attractive woman

with exactly the same set of circumstances an average looking man, or woman, or especially a "fugly" woman would have been found guilty

a pretty smile goes a LONG ways..

see Paul Bernardo/Karla Homolka case in Canada; a couple EQUALLY guilty of killing young girls, he got "life' she got 12 years because she was a semi-attractive woman with a smile to beguile the judge & jurors.

come to think of it it no doubt helped OJ a lot in his first (murder) trial that he was a fairly good -looking/athletic black man (with a big smile) before a mostly black jury..

didn't hep in his second (armed robbery) trial though
 totalazzhole
Msg: 12
Posted: 7/5/2011 3:59:58 PM
NOW Casey Anthony can spend all her time looking for "The Real Killer"..

just like "The Juice" did, until unfortunately he was convicted of armed robbery & it took him off the "hunt".

there were no mirrors in his house, apparently...??
 verygreeneyez
Msg: 13
Posted: 7/5/2011 4:26:01 PM

I dont have faith in a lot of justice systems in the world but, i hate to be unkind, the American Courts let off the most seeminly, glaringly guilty people off and find them not guilty because the juries seem to take them into their hearts.

The jury did NOT acquit based upon emotion in this case. The Court of Public Opinion found Ms. Anthony guilty based upon emotion three years ago when she was arrested. Problem is that people read things on the net, watch paid-for-newscasts and get all gooey with emotion (and rightfully so, that's human nature) and forget that evidence and presentation of said evidence is what renders convictions or acquittals in systems such as our US system. No one gets too up in arms when Project Innocent frees someone wrongly convicted, but most get all sorts of up-in-arms when someone is found innocent based upon lagging/lacking evidence. If one wishes to convict based upon emotion, we would no longer need a system ~ we could just begin burning at the stake again. That would work for emotionally driven folks much better than the "innocent until PROVEN guilty" way we do things today. JMO
 matchlight
Msg: 14
view profile
History
Posted: 7/5/2011 5:34:39 PM
I haven't followed this trial very closely, but I heard several lawyers discussing the verdict.
It's hard to imagine that anyone except this woman killed this child. The main question is whether she did it recklessly, or deliberately.

The prosecution probably didn't have enough evidence to support the murder charge. One law professor thought the jurors probably didn't like being urged to find her guilty of murder, when there was no evidence directly connecting her to the child's death. And so, he said, they may have reacted by refusing to convict on the manslaughter charge either.

Someone killed that little girl. Most likely, that was her mother. But through the years, a lot of people who wrongly killed other people have gotten away with it because the case against them wasn't strong enough to support a guilty verdict. My hunch is that this woman got away with killing her own daughter--whether she recklessly disregarded her safety, or murdered her in cold blood.
 MGMLION
Msg: 15
Posted: 7/5/2011 7:01:42 PM

I mean whatever happened to innocent until proven guilty? She had the girl convicted even before she was arrested.

Now days your Guilty til proven Innocent.
 MGMLION
Msg: 16
Posted: 7/6/2011 3:27:17 AM

Cayse's life will be more of hell out in the real world,

^ ^ ^ ^ ^ How you figure that when she will become a millionaire by accident with book deals and a movie about her life story.
 cookie22222
Msg: 17
view profile
History
Posted: 7/6/2011 5:55:17 AM
Hey Dayna, I think your post reflects the thinking around my office, to an extent. I've been saying for decades, if you want to get away with murder, or at least with a light sentence, kill a child. Makes sure it's your OWN child, and the younger the better. We've been seeing that turn around (a little) of late; I think maybe we are taking the verdict a little personally...probably cause we're sick of seeing people get away with the most horrible crimes. I thought perhaps because of what this office does, the staff was a little out of step with the general public's reaction, but that doesn't seem to be the case from what I've seen on the news.
 robin-hood
Msg: 18
view profile
History
Posted: 7/6/2011 6:45:45 AM
If this mother didn't leave her child with someone responsible for her safety as in caretaker, then she is guilty of at least manslaughter.

Many mothers have been put in prison for just being drunk at home or leaving a younger child home with an older sibling when their child was injured accidentially.
 GrandmaBooBoo
Msg: 19
view profile
History
Posted: 7/6/2011 7:08:19 AM
Well, I too believe that Casey Anthony had "something" to do with her daughter's death; but the jury did the only thing they could do...acquit her. If we could try people just for being evil...then Casey and her entire family would be in jail; as would a great number of others.

The same rain falls on the just and the unjust, and sometimes it's hard to accept...but imagine what our society would be like if it weren't that way.

Once again, I count myself lucky to have faith in a just God...who rights all wrongs....IN SPITE of those who see no justice in the death of a 2 yr old baby. I believe that this child's spirit is safe in heaven and has been spared the horrors of growing up in a family as evil and dysfunctional as the Anthony's.

Those who think that I wouldn't feel that way if it were MY child....are WRONG. I lost my oldest child 5 years ago...at age 30, and I can't imagine getting through these years if I didn't have the firm belief and faith that she was never "mine"...but always His...just "loaned to me for a little while".

As a Mother....I certainly can't imagine going out partying like Casey Anthony did. Still...after 5 years (since my daughter died) I find my biggest comfort comes from knowing that one day....I'll be laid next to her.

Indeed....as a Mother....I find both Casey and Cindy Anthony to be totally disgusting excuses for human flesh...but....still I uphold the jury's verdict as "fair"...and trust that God will one day make this whole thing right.
 MGMLION
Msg: 20
Posted: 7/6/2011 7:34:54 AM
MGMILON money will not buy her happiness. She will not be accepted in any neighborhood and her name is now shit ! Money or not. Simple math.

She can be given all the money she is offered. It will not make her life good. She will be moving all the time and trying to hide. So much for enjoying any " money" . And that is if she doesn't end up right back in Jail or Prison !

If she is given all the money she wants she can buy new friends.
Now days I'd rather be rich with no friends (buy new friends) than poor and everyone like me.

You really think that? You think a woman should automatically be found guilty of prostitution, because she worked her way through college as a stripper? You really believe a woman shouldn't be believed on the witness stand testifying that she was raped, because she worked as a prostitute?

There are a lot of sluts in this world but that doesn't make them killers.

matchlight
Msg: 21
view profile
History
Posted: 7/6/2011 10:23:56 AM

I think all circumstantial cases should be decided by judges.

Maybe, but you'd have to amend the U.S. Constitution. The 6th Amendment gives every criminal defendant the right to a jury trial.

There's nothing at all wrong with circumstantial evidence. Say I'm in a windowless basement office with no way of knowing what the local weather is like. Someone walks in and takes off a dripping raincoat. That is reliable evidence that it's raining outside, even though I can't see or hear the raindrops falling.

You can't judge someone in a case based on their character, past character or crimes or evidence from a prior crime.

That's the general rule--you can't use evidence of a defendant's past bad acts to show he has a criminal character which predisposed him to commit the crime he's being charged with now.

BUT evidence of a defendant's past bad acts IS admissible to show his motive, opportunity, intent, knowledge, lack of mistake, etc. in the crime he's charged with now. Or if a defendant presents evidence to show his good character, the prosecution can then rebut that with evidence of his past bad acts.

And if a witness has ever been convicted of perjury, embezzlement, forgery, or any other crime that requires dishonesty, that evidence is admissible to impeach his credibility now.
 want to travel
Msg: 22
view profile
History
Posted: 7/6/2011 1:34:44 PM
Crazy world we live in,I think there was way more evidence put forward by the state to fry her....
but.... I really think, she is suffering from serious mental issues,she should have been sent to a psyc evaluation, long term,and then.....a place for the criminally insane till she gwould get better, which, most likely would be never...
I really think the state made a huge blunder, going for the death penalty,most people, average people, really do not want someones death to haunt them, the defense was allowed, to go way too far , giving the jury the image of a 7 or 10 year old girl, being forced into oral sex with her father,and many other such images , sure the judge sustained the objections, remember these are not expert in the law, and most average people, can not get these images out of there head, and take into account her looks, she is small,and really looks like a teen herself....
most people think where there is smoke ,there is fire,
just my take on things.......
 bucsgirl
Msg: 23
Posted: 7/6/2011 6:55:19 PM
I live in Pinellas County, I don't know if this is on the news elsewhere but this is on our local news. Apparently there are already "members" of the story that are looking to benefit financially. I have tried my best to avoid any of the news, it's hard because here it's on the local news. To say it sickens me is so understated. They are hinting that at least, it's some of the jurors. How is it that there haven't been laws passed to PREVENT a juror from benefiting financially? It's disgusting, that's civil service, IMO, I did see something on facebook about boycotting anyone making money off this tragic baby's death.

As a mother, I remember when I was at Disney with some family, and left my 5 year old daughter with my brother while some of us went to the ladies room. Sure enough she wandered off, and was "missing" for maybe 10 minutes, which seemed like forever. They were about to call the paramedics for me, I can still recall that feeling, 24 years later. Then, when we found her, I also remember that feeling.

I just want to barf even calling this person a mother. I can't imagine lying to law enforcement who's there to help you find your child, that's just unconscienable. I didn't watch that much of the coverage, my guts can't take it, but it seems the whole family is more than dysfunctional, I don't even think there's a word for what they all are.

The end result of this fiasco is an open, gaping wound on the soul of society that will never heal. A darling baby girl that should have been protected, coddled, and loved....and months of law enforcement, days of a trial and noone can even say how she died. There is no resolution, no penalty that could be paid, no repaying or making up for the sin of the adults in this poor baby's life. I pray they suffer for the rest of their lives, whether that's christian or not, I can't wrap my head around one ounce of forgiveness for any of these monsters.

I had a loved one that was murdered, so I know much more about forensics, crime scene investigation and the criminal justice system in first degree murder cases. It's more than tragic that the state of Florida can't render any measure of justice for the life of this precious child. Although it sounds awful to say this, I think God was merciful taking this child out of this life given the family she was born into. At least for her, all tears and pain are over.
 matchlight
Msg: 24
view profile
History
Posted: 7/6/2011 7:48:36 PM
nstead of focusing on this case, we Americans just may better off contemplating on how our government is currently denying trial and using torture in Gitmo and other detainee camps...

It's clear you haven't the faintest idea about the law on that subject. This country has not tortured anyone, and the persons being detained have no right to a trial. I've written a lot about it on other threads, in detail, and with case cites.

Meanwhile, this thread is about Casey Anthony's acquittal, which is much more interesting anyway.

The justice system is screwed up, and there is no doubt in my mind that Casey is guilty.

Mine either. Nothing else makes sense. But I'm not so sure the justice system is all that screwed up. It was designed with full knowledge that it would allow some people to get away with murder. That's the cost of making it almost impossible for an innocent person to be convicted of murder. In this country, it's very unlikely an innocent person will be convicted of ANY crime.

I would like to see a couple changes, though. I'd like 11 of 12--or maybe even 9 of 10--to be enough to find a defendant guilty in a state criminal trial. It's almost certain that either would be constitutional. There might be an exception for murder cases, so that you'd need 12 unanimous jurors for a guilty verdict.

I'd also like to see to see jurors in murder trials (and maybe some other felony trials) prohibited, at least for enough years to make sure public interest had died away, from selling their stories to any agent.

These jurors are nobodies if the defendant's convicted, but they're minor celebrities if he goes free. And that creates an incentive to vote to acquit, even if the evidence of guilt is beyond question--jury nullification with a new twist.

Maybe courts could refuse to enforce book deals and similar contracts as against public policy. No one would try to sell their story if the publisher could get away with not paying them for it.
 SteelCity1981
Msg: 25
view profile
History
Posted: 7/6/2011 11:39:13 PM
Don't worry guys, Casey Anthony will eventually go to jail for stealing back her sports memorabilia at gunpoint. Let's just ride this out.
Show ALL Forums  > Off Topic  > Casey Anthony found not guilty