Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Off Topic  > my spider      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 the_better_one
Msg: 1
view profile
History
my spiderPage 1 of 2    (1, 2)
I never dreamed that having a pet spider would turn so many women away. It is insane. He is sweet and nonpoisones and my pet. I dont freak when someone has a dog or snake so why care that i have a spider. Its like they look at ME differant once they kno that. All creatures need love!!! and I love my spider creep!!!!

ps you can see a pic of him on my profile!!
 cotter
Msg: 2
view profile
History
my spider
Posted: 7/7/2011 6:37:30 AM
No offense intended ...

Inside: The only god spider is a dead spider.

Outside: The best spiders are alive ... out there killing and eating all the bugs they can get their fangs into.

I am allergic to spider bites and do not want any spider anywhere near me.
 warren_book
Msg: 3
my spider
Posted: 7/7/2011 7:07:28 AM

I never dreamed that having a pet spider would turn so many women away. It is insane. He is sweet

Lifes full of choices.
If you want a bigger dating pool you have to make the choice between keeping 8 legged hairy fangs or chasing 2 legged hairy vag.
Which is sweeter to you?

Is the spider going to hold you, kiss you, bring you flowers?
How can a spider trapped in a jar be sweet to its captor? Maybe it's waiting to get a razor so can shave and read the prison map tattoo on its belly and help its brother escape. Why would it not be sweet to the warden? Does it have a bunch of shifty eyes?
 forumfishie
Msg: 4
my spider
Posted: 7/7/2011 10:17:29 AM
You are almost 40 years old
and have a pet spider??

Maybe is not the spider itself that's turning your dates away
is the fact that you want to have a spider as a pet

Think about it
This is something a 12 year old does

Hope it helps

nipoleon
Msg: 5
view profile
History
my spider
Posted: 7/7/2011 11:51:40 AM
It's not unusual for people to keep pet tarantulas. The American variety is generally non-venomous and they are really quite fragile creatures.

There is a wonderful web site called spiderzrules.com, if you are a fan of spiders. If you send them a picture of a spider you can't identify, they will tell you what it is.
 daynadaze
Msg: 6
view profile
History
my spider
Posted: 7/7/2011 2:10:17 PM
You have chosen a pet that will limit your choices of dates, that's life.

I live with my daughter & son-in-law, they have a tarantula, I buy it crickets and drop them in, I fill the water dish from above, I'm not touching that spider! I'm sorry, but it creeps me out to no end that she's even in the house, I'm not taking her out of her aquarium.

Personally I think it's mean to have spiders or snakes in cages indoors. They have no life, they just sit around getting attention once in a while but they don't bond to people, they don't want to be there, they don't fit into a household like one thinks of a family pet. I think it's mean that Rose is there in her aquarium when she wants to be out in her own environment and living a natural life. It's not like she's being saved from the pound or a hard life, she's in prison but she didn't do anything wrong to be put there.
 Molly Maude
Msg: 7
view profile
History
my spider
Posted: 7/7/2011 3:15:00 PM
choices we make to self-comfort have repercussions beyond what we initially thought ... I wish all decisions came with a full disclosure list ... (e.g., "purchasing a spider might prevent you from having a love life!")

for example, I have a small parrot ... he makes me happy ... he's my buddy ... he talks to me! and ... while I DO feel bad for him that he's trapped in a cage, he was trapped in a cage from birth and now he's STILL trapped in a cage and has me to love on him! so he's in a more enviable position than he was BEFORE he met me ...

nevertheless, there are LOTS and lots and lots of people who don't like birds! I hear about it all the time ...

it was my choice to buy the bird ... if I'm gonna have to give him up to have a human companion ... guess I won't have a human companion ...

on the other hand, a friend has 12 African Greys and they're MUCH bigger, much noisier, much more destructive, require a lot of care ... and she STILL managed to find herself a life companion!

go figure ... I guess that means there's still hope!

sum1reel
Msg: 8
my spider
Posted: 7/8/2011 8:23:20 PM
@OP

you gotta join a spider fancier's club or something like that.
 RichenLosAngeles
Msg: 9
my spider
Posted: 7/10/2011 11:21:13 AM
More off topic -
Bosco, can you please change your photo?
I get cross-eyed every time I see at those stripes!
thanks, , ,,
 HaloKitty
Msg: 10
view profile
History
my spider
Posted: 7/11/2011 3:11:20 AM
I failed the test; can I have a private tutoring session?

On topic: I hate spiders. They creep me RIGHT out. I am just now getting to the point of not having panic attacks when I see one in the house, especially those big nasty house spiders.

I very briefly went out with a guy who had a tarantula. I say briefly, because it ended with me running screaming from his apartment when he decided to bring Ms Daisy (that was her name, seriously!) out to play with me. Hell to the Eff No.

I think it's great that you like a creature not many people would; but I wouldn't really classify a spider as a "pet." More like a decoration. I would classify fish the same way. They really aren't up there with animals that can form bonds; dogs, cats, rats (yes, they can!), birds, etc. Spiders, lizards, snakes, fish and other reptilians or amphibians don't seem to have that ability to connect with their owners. Now, you may say otherwise because you view movements the spider does as caring, but physiologically, I don't think they have the brain capacity to do so. That's not to say it isn't a nice thing to have if it's your thing - and clearly it is - but it's just not a pet to me.

Just like it isn't a pet to other people for the same reason and for reasons of squeamishness and whatnot. It is a SPIDER after all!

At nearly 40, you should have been aware that it's an unusual choice for a pet/decoration and one that puts you into a very small niche of other people interested in the same thing, or at least people OK with the whole 8-legged-friend thing.

I would approach the subject with people the same way I did when I had my rats (I had 4 at one time, loved them all and all but one were bonded with me): "I have rats. They aren't everyone's cup of tea and I understand that. I don't ask that you like them, but I do ask that you tolerate them. I won't ask you to hold them or even acknowledge them; if you're scared of them or squeamish, they can be put in another room. But please, don't cut me down because of my choice of pet. I love them, and enjoy them. If you want to be with me, you need to accept that."

Having a picture of Creep on your profile probably doesn't help matters. There are people who have arachnaphobia and have it triggered by pictures alone. I used to, but I am getting better though I still had a bit of a hard time looking at your profile. I'm usually ok now with spiders so long as I don't see them moving. Once they move, I am GONE!

So, my suggestions to you would be:

1 - Take the picture off your profile, but DO mention that you have Creep in your profile.

2 - Make sure you don't FORCE your pet on someone. Most people don't like spiders, so most won't view Creep the way you do. You're going to have to accept that, if you want anyone to accept you with a spider in tow.

3 - If you're really serious about finding companionship of the only 2-legged variety, I would take the suggestions above about looking for spider-lovers message boards and groups; you never know, you might meet someone there that loves Creep just as much as you.

Cheers!
P.S. As much as I don't like spiders, Creep is a pretty awesome name for one!
 IgorFrankensteen
Msg: 11
view profile
History
my spider
Posted: 7/11/2011 5:16:14 AM
Ten THOUSAND movies, all showing women freaking out about spiders, and it NEVER OCCURRED TO YOU THAT WOMEN MIGHT NOT LIKE SPIDERS?????!!!????

Tell me, how long exactly, have you been on this planet?
 femaleconnection
Msg: 12
my spider
Posted: 7/11/2011 7:41:38 AM
All creatures dont need love. Thier natural day to day life is about cold hearted carniverous activities. In thier world love will get you killed.

Id think it odd that an adult has this for a pet as well, but I dont think I would blindly dismiss someone right off the bat for it...there would have to be some stereotypical behaviours that *I* associate with being truly weird observed before I thought you were too strange for me. I have met some very normal people who think spiders and lizards etc make just dandy pets. But as soon as I see you sharpening your fangs, Im sooo outta there. lol

When Im in a home that has these pets, I ask ahead of time if they can remain contained during my stay, visable is fine...and they have always complied. I have never been made to endure one touching me or crossing my comfort zone lines, so all is good.
 daynadaze
Msg: 13
view profile
History
my spider
Posted: 7/11/2011 5:26:18 PM
Molly, I don't think most tame birds think of themselves as trapped like a snake or spider would. Birds interact with you, they like you (or not LOL) and they are more inline with what would be considered a pet. I've always wanted one but I know I would not be putting in the time needed so I don't think it would be fair to have one. I've had a couple of parakeets before, they were great but they both died, and so I don't think I was good at that. I like the idea of first do no harm when it comes to pets. Sorry if I gave you the impression I was being a bytch, I just really do think some things are not meant to be tamed or kept from their natural environment, while others fit right in and do feel love for you and from you.
 gardenias2
Msg: 14
my spider
Posted: 7/12/2011 12:32:46 AM
Molly, I don't think most tame birds think of themselves as trapped like a snake or spider would. Birds interact with you, they like you (or not LOL) and they are more inline with what would be considered a pet. I've always wanted one but I know I would not be putting in the time needed so I don't think it would be fair to have one. I've had a couple of parakeets before, they were great but they both died, and so I don't think I was good at that. I like the idea of first do no harm when it comes to pets.

oh jesus, parrots are practically smarter than humans. many fly an average of 10 miles a day. you bet they HATE being locked up. most go insane just like any human would living in a cage. parrots are also flock animals and are genetically wired to act and think in response to group behavior not individually. having one in a cage is soooo disorienting for the poor thing.

brazil has out lawed keeping parrots in cages. its now a felony...10 yrs minimum sentence. finally we have an example to follow.

i love spiders outside or cruising inside for a visit or a term to catch some juicy bugs. and consider it quite creepy to keep them in a dam jar.
 statesborocookie
Msg: 15
my spider
Posted: 7/13/2011 11:11:01 PM

Lifes full of choices.
If you want a bigger dating pool you have to make the choice between keeping 8 legged hairy fangs or chasing 2 legged hairy vag.
Which is sweeter to you?

Holy crap, Warren_Book, I nearly peed my pants! Good argument.
 normaldude
Msg: 16
view profile
History
my spider
Posted: 7/14/2011 8:46:07 AM
I am no expert but arent cold blooded things pretty much unable to have any kind of feelings? spiders dont feel attachments or bond? A snake doesnt care if you own it or play with it, just feed it? Lizards dont wait at the door for you to come home and jump up on you glad to see you? People spend so much time finding diversions for crazy things in life instead of focusing on the good stuff.
 theforumfiend
Msg: 17
my spider
Posted: 7/14/2011 2:26:22 PM
Not all women freak out about spiders. My experience has been that men react just as poorly to spiders. Nothing like watching Mr Macho standing on the couch screaming like a girl.
 FyrKrakn
Msg: 18
my spider
Posted: 7/14/2011 2:31:02 PM
I'm not one to consider creepy crawlies as pets, but I love them. I jump out of the truck at night to get pictures of tarantulas, snakes, and what have you. I love rodents, best. I don't understand why people can't love a guinea pig, they are adorable and cuddly and loving and full of personality.

But each to his own.
 getdrunk1990
Msg: 19
view profile
History
my spider
Posted: 7/14/2011 2:41:02 PM
I caught a bug brown spider on my house kept em in a jar and it had babys. After 2 weeks I felt bad for imprisining it so I left it free. Idk how it lived cause i few it nothing for the 2 weeks
 gardenias2
Msg: 20
my spider
Posted: 7/14/2011 3:09:13 PM
If you truly want to do no harm, don't keep as pets animals that belong in the wild. IMO the only animals that should be kept for pets or livestock are those which have been domesticated for thousands of years, which means as household pets: cats and dogs. Keeping birds in cages, fish in tanks, and other wild species in one type of confinement or another is doing harm.

agree and disagree. just because they have been domesticated for 1000's of years doesn't always make it appropriate. history isn't necessarily divine or the perfect example to follow.

waaaay too many "pets" are euthanized yearly due to over breeding. i'd say do away with the entire "pet" industry. failed experiment.
 gazeebo64
Msg: 21
my spider
Posted: 8/13/2011 12:31:02 PM
I had a friend who had a spider make a web on the light over her dining table. She named it Charlette and used to catch flies for her.
 el lagarto
Msg: 22
my spider
Posted: 8/13/2011 6:32:16 PM
Well - looks like I'll have to jump in here , as I have two (yes ... 2) tarantulas , along with a few cats for the cuddle factor.

Since the time I was old enough to walk, I happen to have always been fond of ALL animals - along with most of the critters that make most folks want to stomp, swat, or spray. I know that's not everyone, and I also know that my choice of housemates is also not for everyone. And that's fine with me !

I met a big strapping "manly man" on here, a former military guy, and retired Police officer , who, upon finding out I had spiders , promptly discontinued contact, saying he'd never come in my house ! Ya just never know.

But then, I've also has some turn tail and run because I ride motorcycles, or have cats, or am a vegetarian , or am not a heavy duty Christian too. Can't please everyone - nor would I want to ! And yes - the choices we make will sometimes effect who will choose us - or not !

In the past , I've had several different snakes ( used to lecture with them at a local school - to the delight of the students !) , and an opossum (also used for education). And some of my work now involves wildlife education.

And by the way - I wasn't aware there is an age cut-off for having certain pets !?

Whoopee-e-e !
 normaldude
Msg: 23
view profile
History
my spider
Posted: 11/25/2011 11:48:13 AM
pets to me would be some kind of animal that could interact in at least some basic way like a dog or cat.... or even a gold fish reacts excitedly to feeding. But spiders would be like pretty much any bug.... just a creepy eating machine. Snakes are the same to me in that they just eat and lay about.
 keyman11
Msg: 24
view profile
History
my spider
Posted: 11/25/2011 8:33:24 PM
creepy and also very sneaky....if given a opportunity a spider will always end up on your neck, shirt or something like that. I cant say I envy you
 Dreamer_in_SC
Msg: 25
my spider
Posted: 11/25/2011 8:53:59 PM
what you have in that small confined space is a hunter. If you really loved your spider you would hook it up with a better home like a big tank with rocks,dirt, plants and places for both it and its food to hide so that it could HUNT its food up instead of You dropping its spider manna on top of its head like you are some hand of god supplying all its needs.

The spider you chose is not the type that spins a web and sits and waits for food to come by and get stuck in it. You chose a hunter, let it hunt by taking better care of it and it likely will not be an issue for people visiting your place.

They would see a atrium and unless it is on the hunt it would likely be hidden behind a rock. That way when you feed it (crickets?) you put them at the other end of the atrium and it can then do what spiders do. Besides it much more exciting watching a spider run and jump across a big tank to catch its prey than it is to watch one fumble around to catch a cricket that just fell on its head.

just my opinions
Show ALL Forums  > Off Topic  > my spider