Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > UK forums  > News of the world to close down      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 ~Hams~
Msg: 1
view profile
History
News of the world to close downPage 1 of 2    (1, 2)
It was announced today that the NOTW was
to close down and that Sunday's edition would be its last ever.

Following the recent disgusting revelations that murder
and terrorism victims had allegedly had their mobile phones hacked into.

Is the paper doing the right thing in closing down and should there be a public inquiry?

What can be done in the future to make sure that this doesn't happen again?

One thing was to hack into celebrities and politicians mobiles but they clearly crossed the line!
 badge73
Msg: 2
view profile
History
News of the world to close down
Posted: 7/7/2011 10:51:57 AM

Is the paper doing the right thing in closing down and should there be a public inquiry?

What can be done in the future to make sure that this doesn't happen again?

One thing was to hack into celebrities and politicians mobiles but they clearly crossed the line!

do think a fair few are jumping on the bandwagon as to whose been hacked or what ever, after all as far as i know there is a police investigation which has to concluded before any public inquiry is set up, but it seems some people are saying guilty before the trial. would like to see the evidence on certain cases mentioned such as the milly and various others after all other parts of the press are not exactly squeaky clean yet prepared to put the boot in.

interesting enough also allegations of the met police being investigated as they are alleged to have taken back handers for information ......

wonder if they hacked into west hams tactics last season hams?
 xxmistyxx
Msg: 3
view profile
History
Posted: 7/7/2011 10:53:03 AM
It was only a matter of time before the NOTW closed, as most of it's big advertisers have boycotted the paper since news broke of hacking of 7/7 victims , dead soldiers families...the families of murdered children phones...So really it is only a case of going before they were pushed...

They are now saying that in the future the Sun may run 7 days .. Lets hope the inquries will bring justice for those hacked....
 ~Hams~
Msg: 4
view profile
History
Posted: 7/7/2011 11:00:40 AM

wonder if they hacked into west hams tactics last season hams?

I think they would have been wasting their time badge as we ended up being relegated!
 seabass15
Msg: 5
view profile
History
Posted: 7/8/2011 2:34:38 AM
I thought that the police if they wanted to tap someones phone had to get a legal sanction or have things changed.
if they had to get authorisation . then surely then that private individuals tapping in to a persons phone are performing Illegal actions and subject to legal action taken against them.
Am I right or wrong ??? thanks.

And finally The NOW has for me always been a dirt bag paper, do I need to explain .
 badge73
Msg: 6
view profile
History
Posted: 7/8/2011 6:15:44 AM
quite interesting on how people are cheering for the end of a newspaper which campaigned for sarahs law and exposed so much corruption by politicians and sports people in the match fixing.

http://www.newsoftheworld.co.uk/notw/public/pub_campaigns/

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2012436/News-World-phone-hacking-closure-Titillation-yard-scoops-galore.html
 vlad dracul
Msg: 7
view profile
History
Posted: 7/8/2011 11:44:35 PM
ive3 just seen a geezer being interviewed on sky news. he is an ex officer in the met.

he made a fantastic point that a lot of journalists and police officers must now be getting a wee bit quacking from the behind.
he made the point ''do you think that it was only the news of the world and its journo's who pay officers for information?''

that is an excellant point. i think we would be naive to think other papers and journo's did not use the same ideas.

here is hoping a full investigation is undertaken by a police force from outside the uk as our police maybe have a vested interest in covering things up.

still im glad its came to this and the news of the screws has gone.
all the folk who have had their lives ruined by lurid stories must be having a great feeling of schadenfreude just now.

as for the staff losing their jobs well................

shit happens eh?
 seabass15
Msg: 8
view profile
History
Posted: 7/9/2011 2:38:54 AM
News papers by their very name have to sell in order to survive.
But the tactics they use to get their information. are very questionable.
Personally I think all of the media has got too big for its boots, and I mean everyone. also money plays a 95% stake in this,, how many stories have been published, by the media then have been taken to court, I personally do not buy any newspapers, If I want news, I got to the BBC TV. or online,
I dont need to know which fotballer is doing wrong. or any other of the filth that these people publish. In saying that I am not a puritan. Ask yourself one question
How and by what tactics has Murdoch got so big.
where he thinks he can rule, influence the world. You can have all the money in the world but you cant take it with you. look what happened to Maxwell he didn't walk. he got a big push from someone. another scumbag....
 andy1961
Msg: 9
view profile
History
Posted: 7/10/2011 3:34:02 AM

luisipher news of the world payed witnesses this is fact 200,ooo for that so called tape with confetion .The News of the News Former Editor Andy Coulson Lying under Oath in Court.. loads to do with tommy sheridan .
so free him

Tommy Sheridan was jailed for committing perjury - he lied in Court. And it was proved in Court. Perjury, certainly in Scottish law, carries a custodial sentence whether you're Sheridan, Coulson or Joe Public.

For decades, newspapers, particularly the News Of the World, have paid people ("witnesses") to get their published stories. The moral ethics of it all is highly questionable, but that's the way it's always worked, either to the good or bad of the "Headlines" they produce.

The hacking of peoples phones, whether it's a celebrity, Millie Dowler, or a dead soldier and his family members, is absolutely criminal, and the people directly responsible should be arrested, charged, and if found guilty, convicted and jailed.

There's nothing ironic in the fact that Rupert Murdoch shuts down his newspaper on the day he lands in Britain to push through his takeover of BSKYB as quickly as possible.

That man doesn't give a damn about any of the victims in this whole sorry affair.
 try1more
Msg: 10
view profile
History
Posted: 7/10/2011 5:56:17 PM
i wonder how long before the movie comes out?
Show ALL Forums  > UK forums  > News of the world to close down