Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Relationships  > Midnight Train to Georgia moment?      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 mr_ultimo
Msg: 1
Midnight Train to Georgia moment?Page 1 of 2    (1, 2)
I don't understand why people have a need to reconnect with people from their childhood. Are they having a Midnight Train to Georgia moment? Is this crazy world getting them down, too complicated for them and they want to seek refuge back to a simpler time? And, what happens when people you hardly knew back then do try to hook up with you? Should you waste your time getting to know them or just be polite and brush them off? What value is there in take that Midnight Train back to a simpler time?
 Spider_MacGyver
Msg: 2
Midnight Train to Georgia moment?
Posted: 7/8/2011 9:26:59 AM
If you're referring to the phenomenon partly fueled by the ease of hunting people down via F*c*book etc. -- don't fret it. Typically they find you, exchange a few catch-up emails, and then slide back into the ether.

If not -- for me, there's a select few I've tried to look up. Not to try to return to the time, or reconnect in any meaningful way. Just curiosity. Wondering what they got up to, what they did with their lives. They meant a lot to me then and I hope they fared well but will probably never find out.
 KreweOf2
Msg: 3
Posted: 7/8/2011 9:44:40 AM
Maybe some people had happy childhoods and reconnecting brings back fond memories??

How can that be a bad thing??
 shakeitupbaby2012
Msg: 4
Posted: 7/8/2011 9:52:48 AM
Because life and relationships IS about connecting on different levels and there's something good and solid about the stabilizing forces in our lives. Family. Friendships.
Nothing wrong with reconnecting to a simpler time either, or bringing the substance of that into the present.
It's about ebb and flow.
Learning and sharing.

I moved a lot growing up and didn't have long term friends until I left college and started forming concrete friendships locally .
Many friends moved away over the years and I have as well.
I went to a High school reunion a few years ago and ran into an old friend of mine. he was a very close friend and we reconnected.
We spent time together reconnecting over the next few months and are still in contact with one another.
There's trust there and the ability to talk and laugh about anything and consider it fruitful.
Close friendships, including that within a SO relationship, are one of the most beneficial and rewarding things in life.
Past or present.
 TDH49
Msg: 5
Posted: 7/8/2011 9:53:12 AM

What value is there in take that Midnight Train back to a simpler time?
One should never forget their past OP. I see nothing wrong with keeping in touch with ones history. As long as the experience was a positive one I would have no problem with a reconnection.
 Cdn_Iceman
Msg: 6
Posted: 7/8/2011 9:57:23 AM
As long as they are not living in the past sitting on the dock of the bay wasting time, its all good.
 2bad10
Msg: 7
Posted: 7/8/2011 10:07:52 AM
As you age in this life and become older than you are at the present time-you may come to realize that connecting with people from the past, may be more appealing to you than it is at the present. Weather they are married or single makes no difference. We are all that we are by the paths that we lead or follow in this world. Sometimes visiting people of your past will bring back memories that you may have forgotten. Not everyone of us will live to be 90--some may pass on before 40--sometimes it just nice to talk to someone you might have know long ago--just to see where they went with their lives.. A person can never have too many friends--if your luckly in this life you will have had atleast one good friend you can count on for anything
 abelian
Msg: 8
Posted: 7/8/2011 10:16:44 AM

I don't understand why people have a need to reconnect with people from their childhood.

Well, I'm not going to be able to illuminate you since I don't understand it either. I guess some people like to live in the past.

And, what happens when people you hardly knew back then do try to hook up with you?

I guess I'd say hi and tell them what's going on in my life. Hard to say,. The closest I've come to that happening is hooking up with and dating a girl from high school at each of my 5 and 10 year highschool reunions. I had the hots for them in high school but wasn't really part of that clique. Since they looked even better at the reunions, I didn't require much in the way of a deep philosophical analysis to figure out I had the hots for them again when I saw them.
 barefootkitten
Msg: 9
Posted: 7/8/2011 10:24:11 AM
I've actually had an issue with an ex of mine doing this just last month. He messaged me on facebook, and I figured, it'd been 12 years since we'd talked, maybe he'd matured. Not so much, he immediately started talking about the sex we had and asking if I wanted to hook up again. I had to block him immediately. I think it's kinda pathetic....telling me he'd spent the last 12 years fantasizing about me when I haven't given him a thought in years.....

Generally, I'm of the opinion that if I wanted to keep in touch with someone, I would have.
 KreweOf2
Msg: 10
Posted: 7/8/2011 10:38:35 AM
I keep forgetting that "hookup" means sex now-a-days.....
 Janet_Always
Msg: 11
Posted: 7/8/2011 11:00:16 AM
I've looked up childhood friends on facebook... some I even found and sent a few emails back and forth. That's it. Nothing wrong with being curious and wondering whatever happened to ___ ?

I don't believe it's living in the past any more than going to a school or family reunion where you talk to people you haven't seen in years and probably won't again for many more.
 OutMind
Msg: 12
Posted: 7/8/2011 11:19:51 AM

Should you waste your time getting to know them or just be polite and brush them off? What value is there in take that Midnight Train back to a simpler time?

Dude, I have news to you. Nobody comes by train to Georgia anymore. Harstfield international. We are ready when you are.

On a different note. If someone came back into your life then ask the questions. Are you attracted to her? Are you not? Did the reason why you split were delicate ones? Or just teen lack of attention. Will the same reasons to split surface again?

I've met people that got in touch with a high school sweetheart after more than 15 years and got back together and it worked out. Others met, smiled remembered old times and moved on.

PS did you know that you can live in that terminal all your life and never see the outside world?
 mr_ultimo
Msg: 13
Posted: 7/8/2011 11:38:55 AM

Dude, I have news to you. Nobody comes by train to Georgia anymore. Harstfield international. We are ready when you are.

I just got off FBook and removed a connection for this person who was apparently in a music instruction class that I never really noticed but because I was a fellow student, she felt the need to try to connect. I'm like, why? I didn't even remember her at all. What's up with that???

P.S. I used to live in Georgia and doing a literal train ride down there could be kind of cool.
 Peppigonzalis
Msg: 14
Posted: 7/8/2011 11:46:06 AM
You are obviously not the social type Mr Ultimo!

It's not about seeking refuge. People have a genuine interest in their past and present friends - how they are doing, what their lives have led to, and reminiscing on times spent together give people joy. People also like to compare themselves with their peers - past and present as "everything is relative"

Your attitude towards meeting your past associates says that you more likely will not gain anything from it; however if you meet these people with an open mind you may find you have more in common than you think. You could gain a valuable friend or even business partner. Obviously the opposite may occur too, but that is the risk we take for our social lives. Step out of your comfort zone and open your life to others.
 Peppigonzalis
Msg: 15
Posted: 7/8/2011 12:12:28 PM
Perhaps she wanted to appear popular with more FB friends? You may have had an admirer you were unaware of? Perhaps she acknowledges that having more social contacts leads to more opportunities - various perspectives/ideas, assistance, social enjoyment and business prospects?

Why limit your opportunities? We live in a social world - we must adapt to this or be left behind (to a larger extent than initially perceived)
 U make it entertaining
Msg: 16
Posted: 7/8/2011 12:15:13 PM
So I gather high school reunions aren't your thing?

I had a blast at mine, and ended up meeting someone from 3rd grade.
I've enjoyed the 'catch up' on what others are doing, and him and his wife have invited me out on numerous occasions for get togethers.

I've also had individuals contact me via facebook ... and would you believe ... even on here, saying "do you remember me?".

Why not?
I think it's great talking about old times.
As for hooking up with them, well it would depend.
 mr_ultimo
Msg: 17
Posted: 7/8/2011 12:30:03 PM
When I said "hook-up" I wasn't interpreting it as sex. Sheesh!

I am actually very outgoing and extroverted but at the same time I value deep friendships not superficial acquaintances. I don't need anymore money than I already have and most people I've met on-line are not very much fun to "be with". They lack good manners, have very little wit, and quite frankly have turned into very boring people.

As far as going to a H.S. reunion? That would have been very sad. Someone posted the reunion photos to FB and first the turnout was very anemic and second, everyone was way out of shape and had obviously not taken good care of themselves.

Now, this one lady who I have no memories of whatsoever is now in Hollywood and is an entertainer (dancing and singing). Directs and produces TV shows and movies as well as other venues. But who cares? I think she was seeking validation from those she knew in the past and show off that she made it. Okay, whatever. I didn't really know you back then, I don't know you now and don't have any desire to get to know you now. Did she have a crush on me back then in the shadows? If so, that's water under the bridge.
 IgorFrankensteen
Msg: 18
view profile
History
Posted: 7/8/2011 1:02:48 PM
Methinks you are obsessing on this too much.

People like to connect with each other. The difference between a complete stranger, and a near complete stranger can be subtle. Some folks note that you went to the same school they did, at entirely different times, and use that tiny bit of similarity to strike up a conversation. Others might see you in person, and note that you have shoes they like, so they try to connect with you about that.

So what? Why are you purposely trying to see these people as deficient in some way? Why are you classing EVERYONE who contacts you from out of no where as being nuts? The amount of emotion you put into this post, suggests a deeper meaning to you, which I would suggest you explore on your own.

Seems a bit silly to me, along the lines of looking for reasons to be critical of others.
 Cdn_Iceman
Msg: 19
Posted: 7/8/2011 1:05:25 PM
outmind that was funny, I was drinking tea when I read that , I have to clean my monitor thanks
 WomanInProgress
Msg: 20
Posted: 7/8/2011 1:15:42 PM

So what? Why are you purposely trying to see these people as deficient in some way? Why are you classing EVERYONE who contacts you from out of no where as being nuts? The amount of emotion you put into this post, suggests a deeper meaning to you, which I would suggest you explore on your own.

Seems a bit silly to me, along the lines of looking for reasons to be critical of others.

Agreed..if you have no use for it, OP that's fine. Why rank on those who do? Seems like a waste of energy. Don't catch up with people and walk off into the sunset. *shrug*
 peppermint petunias
Msg: 21
Posted: 7/8/2011 1:25:55 PM

As long as they are not living in the past sitting on the dock of the bay wasting time,

^^^^^^^^^^LOL

Or under the boardwalk, down by the sea ........da runk reminiscing.
Ice knows beach music
 mr_ultimo
Msg: 22
Posted: 7/8/2011 1:26:40 PM
Harmless obsession is what makes life interesting, isn't it? And, what makes me unique. I am my own long-running Seinfeld episode. You'll long remember me than the other guy. Maybe that's the core of my problem. I'm too memorable. If people from 40 years ago are still thinking about me, perhaps I need to try being like everyone else around me, boring. NOT!

If I don't remember someone that remembers me. Then I have no interest in trying to get to know them!

Cdn_Iceman
Msg: 23
Posted: 7/8/2011 1:34:00 PM
Yeppers Peppermint, I heard it through the grapevine that living in the past wondering if it could be.. my damn papa was a rolling stone he said Son, " reach out and I will be there" and there aint no mountain high enough
 4ms4me
Msg: 24
view profile
History
Posted: 7/8/2011 1:34:23 PM

You'll long remember me than the other guy. Maybe that's the core of my problem. I'm too memorable.

I have that very same problem! Nothing more disconcerting than walking down the street, or into a store, and have some stranger say "_____?! How have you been? Haven't seen you since High School, (or some such decades-past location)!"

Sure, I'd love to reminisce about all those good times back then, but what if I end up telling that nasty story about so-and-so, and it's you?!
 GotAHubCapDiamondStarHalo
Msg: 25
Posted: 7/8/2011 4:03:55 PM

Maybe that's the core of my problem. I'm too memorable.

If I don't remember someone that remembers me. Then I have no interest in trying to get to know them!

Maybe you just have a sh!tty memory.
Show ALL Forums  > Relationships  > Midnight Train to Georgia moment?