Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Ontario  > Would you go out with or get involved with someone who is only separa      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 Sweet Euphoria
Msg: 5
view profile
History
Would you go out with or get involved with someone who is only separated?Page 1 of 1    
If I ended up going back to my ex after being separated for 12 years, then I need my head examined..lol

No divorce for all the reasons Jack stated. At this point, my boys are now old enough for it not to matter if I take back my maiden name. You don't need to be divorced to do that, and you don't have to change your name back once you do get a divorce. I suppose it's personal preference.

For my own reasons, I've left the filing for divorce up to my ex as I believe he should be responsible for doing so, given the nature of our break up. He hasn't been too eager to get it legalized, even though he's been living with someone the whole 12 years. I suppose it will become a necessity like his girlfriend's divorce if I wanted to get married, like her ex did...lol Maybe someday that might happen. Who knows!

As other posters have stated, I am cautious when it comes to dating someone that has been recently separated. I've made that mistake before. I think it takes time to get your head together, even if you've checked out of the marriage prior to leaving. I took a good year before I considered dating...another year to find a date...haha
 gingergirl52
Msg: 9
view profile
History
Would you go out with or get involved with someone who is only separated?
Posted: 10/31/2011 9:04:04 AM
I too have been in this situation, which didn't end well. I was with a man who was separated when I met him but he was very honest from the get go about where he was at, which was confused and still talking to his wife. Unfortunately, I didn't dig to find out what kind of talking and at the time he decided to return to the marriage, I had already fallen for him, big time! The affair continued until I realized that I deserve more than being "2nd fiddle". Never again will I get involved with someone who is separated (I am separated, not divorced) until I have ALL of the information and a good idea of where the person is at. Ask more questions, hopefully I don't get lies.
 mrmisterme
Msg: 12
view profile
History
Posted: 10/31/2011 6:32:33 PM

Never again will I get involved with someone who is separated (I am separated, not divorced) until I have ALL of the information and a good idea of where the person is at. Ask more questions, hopefully I don't get lies.

Well, Ginger, your profile states that you're single (not separated).
 JP1111
Msg: 14
Posted: 11/1/2011 11:35:36 PM
Being separated simply means that the two people have stopped loving each other and have chosen to continue their lives on seperate paths.

Being divorced simply means means that you have ended it legally. So to me, those are two completely separate things.

What happens if he decides to go back to his wife and work things out, what happens to you?

It is VERY fair to think hat once you part ways with your partner, it is because there is no possible reconciliation so, if you worry about that, then you just might worry about aliens capturing you and probing you where the sun don't shine.

If she is separated, that to me tells e that she is open market!
 Rain.
Msg: 15
Posted: 11/3/2011 11:27:50 AM
its also very fair to know the difference between the 2 words that are commonly attached to the collapse of a marriage ( separation and divorce ). reconciliation is possible with 2 folks that are separated ,hardly ever happens to those that go for the divorce. As for loving each other ? im glad you lead the poll that found that out , thats not what it means at all , more or less they can love each other , just cant live with each other. JP i dont know who took you aside and explained this all to you, thankfully you can google it now , which i suggest you do , good luck
 Kohmelo
Msg: 16
view profile
History
Posted: 11/13/2011 7:49:56 PM
I've been seperated 5 years and the moment it was decided I was not going back. The piece of paper that states I'm no longer married would be about as useful to me as the piece of paper that states that I am.

Its just paper.
 aGent Lemon
Msg: 20
view profile
History
Posted: 4/17/2012 1:32:22 AM
Sooo... the promise was to be stay married through sickness and in health... or even for better, for worse, for richer, for poorer... to love and honor all the days of their live from there forth... which of course is until death. Although I have several reasons to be absolutely certain >>> especially in knowing multitudes of innocent children suffer to death across the world which a truly compassionate Almighty should always protect them regardless of whose at fault... and if such a proclaimed entity were perfect, the first two people should unmistakenly be -smart- enough to always obey <<< the simplest explaination to why there's any life from the enumerable combinations of energies, most likely through weathered rocks and water... I personally feel that their obligation should be kept... unless some sort of -major- threat was made.

I've heard a whole lot of people get divorced within a matter of 12 months after their wedding... and some were even together for over 5 years both believing they were ultimately in love it seems.

Had in mind to tell another weird story in regards... but, it gets way too specific this time, for which I plan to keep whatever confidentiality, sorry.
Show ALL Forums  > Ontario  > Would you go out with or get involved with someone who is only separated?