Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Off Topic  > Kids banned from restaurants?      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 forumfishie
Msg: 1
Kids banned from restaurants?Page 1 of 4    (1, 2, 3, 4)
I was watching the news an I saw a restaurant owner said he does not allow children in his restaurant at all.

Then I read this article that says there is yet another restaurant that posted a sign saying "Screaming children will not be tolerated"

Malaysia Airlines has banned babies from flying first class on its jumbo jets, after receiving complaints from passengers who shelled out extra money for premium seats, only to be kept awake by crying infants

It seems some people had enough of the crying, screaming children in public places.

Did you ever go to a restaurant for a nice meal, only to have it be ruined by screaming kids? Well, one North Carolina eatery is trying to do something about that.

The Olde Salty restaurant in Carolina Beach has posted signs reading: "Screaming children will not be tolerated," North Carolina's WECT reports.

The owner, Brenda Armes, says she's tired of hearing customers complain about screaming kids -- and she says the signs have worked.

"It has been a good thing for us," Armes said. "It has brought us in more customers than it has ever kept away."

But some families are insulted by the signs.

"I've never seen a restaurant say, don't bring your screaming kids in here," Ashley Heflin, a mom of two, told WECT. "You can't help it if your kids scream."

We feel sorry for the parents who'd like to dine out but have no sitter for their kids.

But as a childless person, we know how nice it is to enjoy a meal in peace.

So ,

Are you single and childless and when you heard the news felt like it was about time?
or
Are you a parent and feel discriminated against?

Should Screaming Kids Be Banned From Restaurants?
 Kitten189
Msg: 2
Kids banned from restaurants?
Posted: 7/10/2011 10:17:49 AM
Im single,childless and Aussie and i know of a couple of local restaurants where children are NOT allowed,screaming or otherwise, and business is booming
 Welsh474
Msg: 3
Posted: 7/10/2011 10:30:22 AM
I don't have a problem with it. There are plenty of family restaurants out there and having a few that are adult only is a nice change. I don't like screaming/crying kids while I'm eating dinner, or kids running around the restaurant. The parents that whine will be the ones that don't control their children.
 warren_book
Msg: 4
Posted: 7/10/2011 11:25:46 AM

Did you ever go to a restaurant for a nice meal, only to have it be ruined by screaming kids?

Almost every restaurant I've been to, at some point of eating there, it gets annoying when I have to listen to either a screaming baby or happy birthday screaming wait staff.
But the meals aren't that nice, just standard.

Whenever I've gone for a "nice" meal I've never been interrupted or had it ruined by screaming babies or wait staff.

Are you single and childless and when you heard the news felt like it was about time?

I've never really sat and dwelled on screaming kids.
Kids scream. You look to see if they are being stabbed, constantly, eat your meal and leave.
Personally, I'd rather them guarantee no wait staff singing before guaranteeing no kids.

I don't pay attention to an absence of kids screaming, I am just well aware of it when it's present.

Are you a parent and feel discriminated against?

My sister has 4 kids. She likes the idea. So when she has date night, she can go out with her husband and away from screaming kids.
If she takes the kids out, it's generally not to a nice place, but more of a family/kids oriented place.

Guess it depends on what your income allows you to define as a "nice" place.
IME the more expensive the restaurant, the less people with kids can even afford to eat there.And if they can, you can guarantee they can afford to train their kids how to behave in public.
If Mastro's had a bunch of screaming kids in it while I was eating and having a conversation, I would pissed beyond belief.
If I go to Applebee's, I pretty much figure it's going to happen and my expectations are set accordingly.

Expectations are hugely important, as they are different for different places.
I mean I expect kids to be running around screaming at McDonalds at 3 in the afternoon.
I don't expect kids to be running around screaming at 10 o'clock at night at Hooters.

Like movie theaters.
I expect to hear a lot of babies crying and yelling at Shrek 6, at 2 in the afternoon.
It pisses me off when it's SAW 6 at 10:30 p.m.
I could totally see a sign for "no one under 16 allowed to any R movie after 4 p.m. even with an adult."
 daynadaze
Msg: 5
view profile
History
Posted: 7/10/2011 12:00:17 PM
It's just common sense, there will always be some grouchy person who hates kids even if they are being well behaved, but most people know not to take small children to places meant for adults only. I don't mind places being upscale (I don't go there anyway) and not allowing children, just as long as it's not a trend where no kids are allowed to be children and you can't take them anywhere. I'm like most people, when it's my kid it's because they are tired or hungry and I've made a bad timing choice, but when I hear others' screaming, it's because they are brats. Children only have so much capacity to cope, you have to time your outings, you can't expect more than a child can give you. They aren't small adults, they are mostly just normal children acting their age.
 RachaelReverie
Msg: 6
Posted: 7/10/2011 12:39:39 PM
I'm single and childless. I find it sad that they actually must have signs saying they won't tolerate children screaming. But honestly I think that parents need to take a stand. I have seen a few situations where the parents gave up and just sat there eating while the child screamed to the loudest extent they possibly could go.

I think in that situation I'd take my child to the bathroom or to the car and either talk it out or spank them(whichever works better for my child).

I think restaurants know that their customers are getting annoyed and also makes the waiters nervous wrecks and it can just cause havoc. If they are the point where they must do this, obviously there must be something wrong.
 Molly Maude
Msg: 7
view profile
History
Posted: 7/10/2011 12:54:44 PM
the sad part of the OP was that Ashley Heflin was quoted as saying, "You can't help it if your kids scream!"

really? then who IS in charge?

if MY kids acted up in a restaurant, that child and I LEFT immediately and they got to sit their little selves outside the restaurant until they were ready to go back inside ... we'd be sitting outside together and they'd say, "I'm cold!" I'd shrug and say, "you were misbehaving!"

eventually they'd say, "I'm hungry!" and I'd say, "yes ... and your food is inside the restaurant, getting cold!"

they'd say, "I'm hungry, Mommy!" and I'd say, "well, are you ready to behave in the restaurant nicely while you eat your food?"

it's NOT that hard!

IF they would NOT behave ... I'd ask to have our food boxed up and we'd leave ... and we wouldn't go out for whatever period seemed reasonable ...

of course, the easiest solution is ... get a sitter when you want to go somewhere nice ... and only take the kids where there are OTHER badly behaved children ... like McDonald's ... or Me & Ed's Pizza!

I agree that the saddest part of this concept is that the restaurants feel forced to put up a sign TELLING people not to let their children scream! wow ... pathetic ...
 Sportsfreak89
Msg: 8
Posted: 7/10/2011 1:06:04 PM
Sadly as much as I like children despite the screaming I would be okay for people being asked to leave because they choose not to make their child quiet down. I work in a grocery store (and have for over 3 years now) and I swear there are so many kids that if I were the father, I would slap them and tell them I've had enough of their screaming for no good reason. If I'm a business owner do I really want to be losing customers because a parent(s) refuses to take any action on their kids' bad behavior and thinks that ignoring it will do any good? No I don't. If I'm a business owner I am trying to create an environment where all customers can enjoy what I have to offer without peace being disturbed. And well, screaming disturbs that peace and therefore it gets to a point where action has to be taken against an intolerable behavior.
 justagrlwithacat
Msg: 9
Posted: 7/10/2011 1:29:36 PM

if MY kids acted up in a restaurant, that child and I LEFT immediately and they got to sit their little selves outside the restaurant until they were ready to go back inside ... we'd be sitting outside together and they'd say, "I'm cold!" I'd shrug and say, "you were misbehaving!"

eventually they'd say, "I'm hungry!" and I'd say, "yes ... and your food is inside the restaurant, getting cold!"

they'd say, "I'm hungry, Mommy!" and I'd say, "well, are you ready to behave in the restaurant nicely while you eat your food?"

it's NOT that hard!

love it. I thought that statement she said was odd too.
 PittsburghVixen
Msg: 10
Posted: 7/10/2011 2:12:51 PM
We are having the same debate here in the news as a local restaurant decided to ban children under 6 because of bad behavior. I am totally in support of this and called that restaurant to tell them that I will now go out of my way to dine there in support of their policy. It is just common sense to not take little kids to adult venues. Yes, babies do scream and toddlers do act up because they are too young to be reasoned with, BUT considerate parents remove those children from the premises until they quiet down - and don't take them to inappropriate places in the first place. Unfortunately there are far too many parents now who want to be their child's "best friend" and either will not or cannot discipline them by teaching them proper behavior as they are growing up. Too many times I have seen children jumping up and down on chairs, climbing on booths to pester the people behind them, running around the place, etc. without any discipline from the parents. Then they wonder why the kids are out of control as they get older.

When I was a little kid, my parents did not take me anywhere (even to a "kid friendly" place) until I was old enough to behave. If I misbehaved, we went out and sat in the car just as described above. Didn't take long for me to catch on.
 KittenCatt
Msg: 11
Posted: 7/10/2011 2:19:54 PM
Don't toy with me Fishie.....!!!!!! Don't get my hopes up like this....can it be???

I LOVE it!!!! What a delicious story.

I love kids, but I blame the parents for the disturbances they cause in public, especially nowadays with the lax, high self-esteem cult, and the counting crap, and the asking them "please" when they want them to behave. It's so ridiculous.

And I'm the type to speak up in public but of course it's never met with apology or humility from the irresponsible parents.
 forumfishie
Msg: 12
Posted: 7/10/2011 2:27:44 PM
Molly, you sound like a good Mother.
When my family goes out with the kids we go to kids places, like Warren said, Mc Donalds or Pizza Hut etc, never to a grown up, fancy place.
and even there if they start acting up we take turns going outside or the car, sometimes we spend more time outside than inside the restaurant depending on the day, but we would never just let them go at it and bother other kids who are behaving and their parents.

Warren -Kids scream. "You look to see if they are being stabbed, constantly, eat your meal and leave."
Yes, sometimes you think they are being stabbed by the loudness of the screams and cries, only to turn and look at the parents eating undisturbed
Must be a survival mechanism, you learn to tune out the cries when you become a parent?
I know some do, because they don't even look up from their plates to see why the kid is screaming.
Or maybe, at some point, they just give up like RachaelReverie said?

"Whenever I've gone for a "nice" meal I've never been interrupted or had it ruined by screaming babies or wait staff."
I kind of feel sorry for the waiters who are forced to sing sometimes to a crying kid who couldn't care less for the singing either

Sports Freak, I've seen mothers let their kids run free inside the market too and I really feel bad for the produce guy who had to pick up a pile of
zuccinis one kid had just pulled out off the perfect pyramid he had just created.

I see must parents let go of their kids hands because they are inside the market and because they need to be able to get their groceries but it's like
a license to roam free for the kids and not fair to the employees who are left to clean the mess.

I mean we all love kids but they are people too (little)
some are nicer and better behaved than others

I think is a good idea just out of consideration for others
 Casper66
Msg: 13
view profile
History
Posted: 7/10/2011 2:40:40 PM
Message #7, I agree completely we were never allowed to act up when out in public and neither was my nephew when he was a child and it is very sad that a restaurant has to tell parents to take control of their spawn. Whenever I've gone into a restaurant it doesn't take long to pick out the good parents, their children aren't allowed to disturb others, it doesn't bother me at all if kids are laughing and having a good time or peaking over the benches at me, but I can't stand the ones that run all over the place, put their dirty hands on your clothes and throw loud temper tantrums to get what they want and the parents do nothing to control them. The last incident was a kid allowed to race around tables in the restaurant and he kept getting in the way of the waitstaff coming out of the kitchen, the mother just kept talking to her friend and did nothing, but I bet she would have screamed bloody murder if her kid had hot food split on him.
I think it is a great idea to have a no screaming child option for dining out, it's no different then catering to families, just a different clientelle.
 CellaValencia
Msg: 14
Posted: 7/10/2011 2:49:44 PM
I don't go out to eat often so I haven't had a problem with noisy kids, only where I work. It's too bad parents bring their kids out when they're tired and should be home napping
 buckeye1332
Msg: 15
Posted: 7/10/2011 3:00:30 PM
Banning children from a restaurant is ridiculous, and discrimination not to mention.

Kids cry, whine, and scream.........that's life.

I don't have kids, but I see no reason whatsoever that an establishment should be allowed to ban children, unless it be a bar or somewhere with adult content.
 CMonster
Msg: 16
Posted: 7/10/2011 3:17:51 PM

The parents that whine will be the ones that don't control their children.

And that's why it's unfortunate that businesses have to go to the extremes. Is it truly so difficult for these parents to step outside with their children and return once the little one is settled? Parents use to do that out of embarrassment but guess that doesn't hold true for everyone.
 vnufall
Msg: 17
Posted: 7/10/2011 3:20:33 PM
i think its kind of a catch -22 with kids. if you don't take them out and teach them how to behave, how will they ever learn? now that means the parents are responsible for attending to the kids and not allowing the screaming and running around. may have to take the kids out of the restaurant in the middle of the meal, and that is the chance parents have to take. i remember my g/f never took her son out and one time a group of us went out for dinner. the kid was like 8 or 9 and had no idea how to behave. he could not sit still. my kids were fine. its just part of good parenting to teach kids how to behave in a social setting. if they can't take them out of the situation and wait until they are a little older to retry.
 junipermoon
Msg: 18
view profile
History
Posted: 7/10/2011 3:23:59 PM
we should never consider it normal and/or acceptable for children to scream and carry on in public places. save the damn tantrums for home. few parents i've encountered have control of their kids. the kids absolutely run the show.

i'd have no problem with any establishment (except place like mcdonald's) banning screaming children. and i'd hope they'd have no problem embarrassing parents whose kids do act out.

however, we live in a totally kid-centered culture. and i doubt many would accept the fact that not everyone finds their screaming brats as enchanting as they do.
 viper1j
Msg: 19
Posted: 7/10/2011 3:36:36 PM
we should never consider it normal and/or acceptable for children to scream and carry on in public places. save the damn tantrums for home. few parents i've encountered have control of their kids. the kids absolutely run the show.

Keep a roll of duct tape in your purse to offer the parent.

Banning children from a restaurant is ridiculous, and discrimination not to mention.

Nobody wants to be exposed to "second hand kids".
 gardenias2
Msg: 20
Posted: 7/10/2011 3:43:29 PM
i recently met a small family: parents in their 30's, toddler and 5 month old infant. they are travelling the world this summer. i asked how the baby was handling the flights, mom said about 50/50 screaming or sleeping. i asked about restaurants, she said about the same.

they are off to germany today from the the south pacific. i feel sorry for the entirety of that plane and the citizens of germany lol.
 OMG!WTF!
Msg: 21
view profile
History
Posted: 7/10/2011 5:16:37 PM
My dog can't go to restaurants so I don't see why kids should be allowed. My dog carries fewer communicable germs and diseases. He grooms himself daily, is perfectly potty trained and will not bark unless barked at. He sits or lays quietly. On occassion he'll snatch a napkin and shred it to bits. Other than that, he's a angel. Much better in public than any child I've ever seen.
 Truly_Me
Msg: 22
Posted: 7/10/2011 6:10:55 PM
I think it's great that at least some restaurants take the issue of screaming kids seriously. Adults are not allowed to scream, and neither should kids be. If a child isn't very mature yet or is just having a bad day (it happens), it's up to the parents to immediately remove said child from the place. If the parents are too rude to take that action, the restaurant owes it to the rest of its patrons to eject the kids from the premises, along with their parents (who are responsible for their kids' behavior).

One caveat, though: a sign referring to "screaming kids" tends to imply that kids are automatically assumed to behave badly, which isn't fair to the large number of well-behaved kids out there. I know that I would have taken offense, had I read the sign when I was a kid. If we want kids to respect others, we have to show them some respect, too. There's probably a more polite way to inform parents of the policy.
 Spider_MacGyver
Msg: 23
yes, banned from all public places on earth
Posted: 7/10/2011 8:23:05 PM
I have an overly quirky acquaintance with whom I was seated across from a baby practicing its vowels, with great gusto.

Quirk-Woman made a great display of her annoyance, shooting the parents dirty looks, saying her meal was ruined.

It's a pity she does not distinguish at all between the cooing of a happy baby vs. high-decibel pitched fits, because to me, it was a pleasureable sound.

There was only one spoiled brat in that particular scenario.
 KittenCatt
Msg: 24
Posted: 7/10/2011 11:59:10 PM
^^^^^^^^^^ Can not make hide nor hair of whatever you've attempted to communicate there on your post to this here thread.
 viper1j
Msg: 25
Posted: 7/11/2011 1:26:10 AM

^^^^^^^^^^ Can not make hide nor hair of whatever you've attempted to communicate there on your post to this here thread.

She liked the baby, her friend didn't. Therefore her friend was the "spoiled brat", not the baby.

I just keep the duct tape handy.
Show ALL Forums  > Off Topic  > Kids banned from restaurants?