Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Off Topic  > Why did you choose Plenty of Fish? Thoughts on other Dating Sites?      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 Red Fish GF
Msg: 2
view profile
History
Why did you choose Plenty of Fish? Thoughts on other Dating Sites?Page 1 of 7    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7)
I had dating profiles on two of the other major sites. I set them up more out of curiosity and since they were paying sites, I was limited in messaging others. I met my SO on one of them though by using a free trial and only started a profile here to use the forums. He also has a profile here but I never used this site until I discovered the forums.
 MsMuscleChick
Msg: 3
Why did you choose Plenty of Fish? Thoughts on other Dating Sites?
Posted: 7/11/2011 1:20:57 PM
Because I am not having to pay to meet idiots. It is free. So I can walk away from first meets not e mailing Corporate demanding a refund. * wink *
 rearguard*2
Msg: 4
view profile
History
Posted: 7/11/2011 1:31:13 PM
In any given area, all the people on all the dating sites will be more or less the same crowd. POF does not require a credit card and has everybody who is into online dating.

Unless you have a specific interest, POF is the best I have found. Only drawback to POF is that it does attract a lot of people with lower incomes and less education. Paying for a site that caters to the richer client base may get you less of that, but from what I see, the same people just make up whatever is needed to look appealing on the specialty sites.
(eg. lie about age, lie about body type, lie about income level)
 Floramac
Msg: 5
Posted: 7/11/2011 1:40:19 PM
it's freeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

fastdogphotog
Msg: 6
view profile
History
Posted: 7/11/2011 2:05:30 PM
Yep. You can't beat the price; that's for sure.

But a big draw for me, and pretty much the only reason I stay here are the forums.

For whatever reason, when it comes to dating, my experiences have been much better on a different site.
 Sînz
Msg: 7
Posted: 7/11/2011 2:28:05 PM
Just because it's free...no other reasons really.
 AintNoDeal
Msg: 8
Posted: 7/11/2011 3:27:15 PM
FREE is a major attraction, but many free dating sites look like the boarded up sections of a old mall -- the area that only opens to sell cheap Halloween costumes or sidewalk sale crap. Other free sites have very limited scope - they only feature people within 100 miles or so -- those sites have no life.

The Forums gives POF a vibrant pulse and makes people feel they are not alone in their struggles -- it also creates a feeling of a site that is CURRENT and can STAY CURRENT.

Pay sites may have better tools for keeping notes or surveys, or big glamour photos, but you have to PAY for those features and a survey feels antiseptic - like you're in a hospital gown filling out a lot of stuff you don't want to and handing it to a stranger who has a grimmace.....brrrr!!!!

POF feels more like the local tavern where you feel at home, recognize a few faces, and don't feel like you're going to be told to leave any moment.
 Stray__Cat
Msg: 9
Posted: 7/11/2011 3:39:19 PM
well DUH!!!!
Better fish!!!

You can get plenty of carp at the other sites though.
 _shakti_
Msg: 10
Posted: 7/11/2011 3:48:38 PM
I tried lavalife and hated it, so I had heard about this place and came here. I would have deleted fairly early if only for the dating prospects, but I discovered the forums and stayed quite a while because of that.
 vnufall
Msg: 11
Posted: 7/11/2011 4:31:13 PM
because its free, the forums are fun and there are all kinds of people on here...
 U make it entertaining
Msg: 12
Posted: 7/11/2011 5:41:28 PM
Because my kids told me to get out of my office and start dating.

So my daughter signed me up.
 Lolita_LeBron
Msg: 13
Posted: 7/11/2011 6:48:19 PM
It was free. The forums here are the most visited than other site forums.
 RichenLosAngeles
Msg: 14
Posted: 7/11/2011 7:06:59 PM
I met a great woman on the "List" but we were drifting apart after some years.
At work , a young guy said POF was good, so I checked it out.
I was shocked at how many attractive women in my age group were listed, and in my area too.
I feel bad for people who can't find someone good on POF.
I think they just don't give it any effort.
 PluckyCharmz
Msg: 15
Posted: 7/11/2011 9:01:35 PM
One day I did a search for dating sites and this popped up. I haven't actually met anyone in person from here though. I have met people from other sites. I do like perusing the forums here; I stay because it's free.
 jpwrnglrwmn_forumsonly
Msg: 16
Posted: 7/11/2011 9:46:33 PM
It's free, and although I met some people from this site, I mainly stay here for the forums. I'm signed up on another free site, but I have to say this is the only site I know of that has an extensive forum area.
 valenciacityx
Msg: 17
Posted: 7/12/2011 2:33:04 AM
I heard about it,.... gave it the swirl o effort, got more action off my language learning tuturial site, or meet up, or moto-bbs, or the coffee forum -
too many red flags here. Mine, theirs. Opted out long ago, just here for the forums.
 aphroditecda
Msg: 18
Posted: 7/12/2011 8:36:15 AM
Umm i tried a couple

its just lunch - it is not a dating sight but a paid for high end date thing, well I got rich nobodies who thought this was dial up a cocubine....enough of that... I wanted intellectual and classy, not rich dumb oil boys who think they are kings...only $850.00 a year

I tried Eharmony- never got to speak to a single man.. for three months since you have to go through a series of questions.....before you can message freely.. again alot of rich guys but not intellectual guys and onlyf or 39.95 a month....

lastly I tried match.. omg.. STAY away... tons of scammers on here.. no one is real.. any good profiles stay on long after the person has quit... and you get emails from people all over the world..like I am gonna date a cabbie in florida when I live in cda.. right....

POF is free, the forums are great and heck it is a good a chance as any to possible meet "the one".....
 *army mom*
Msg: 19
Posted: 7/12/2011 9:43:15 AM
Well ... its FREE

And having briefly strayed to a couple of pay sites several years ago, I found all the same people on those sites as on POF.

People think the pay sites are going to get you better results ... I just found a better-paid class of losers ...
 VacationGuy234
Msg: 20
Posted: 7/12/2011 12:53:47 PM
I've tried Matchmaker and Match for paid sites and I will say people are a lot more serious on those sites. However, even though price was not an issue in my case, the money does add up for what you are getting out of it. If you easily settle for people it is a good deal, but if you are picky it is not so great.

On POF, there is not as much seriousness, but here there is also a more social aspect to the site which you don't get on other sites. You will probably not meet friends on a serious dating site like you will here. You will also find that there are a lot more, "average" people here than on other sites probably because the pool is bigger and free.

Which site you choose depends on were you are in the dating game in terms of looking for marriage, companionship, intimate encounter, etc.. It's not a one size fits all shoe.
 Sirenne
Msg: 21
Posted: 7/13/2011 3:29:29 AM
I agree the forums are the most interesting part of the dating site here.
Oasis is free but you have to an account to post on a forum there although I feel there is a better quality of person on that site. I may be wrong...
I find the pickings on POF quite lean in comparison.
 Houston_Realtor
Msg: 22
Posted: 7/13/2011 8:45:56 AM
Unfortunately I paid $50 for 3 months of match.com and am about 1 month into my committment. I have not met one single person yet. Have spoken to two guys on the phone. Upon speaking to the first guy I found out he is 49 and has a 6 year old, ummm, I don't date guys with young kids so that was a bust. The second guy we have spoken on the phone a couple of times and are supposed to meet for a drink Thursday night, we will see if anything happens from that. I'm not holding my breath. I feel like I pretty much wasted $50, would have much rather had a new pair of shoes :)
 ohenryx
Msg: 23
view profile
History
Posted: 7/13/2011 11:10:42 AM

houston_realtor:
I feel like I pretty much wasted $50, would have much rather had a new pair of shoes :)

Most of the women I know, $50 would not begin to buy a new pair of shoes!!
 Red Fish GF
Msg: 24
view profile
History
Posted: 7/13/2011 11:23:03 AM
ohenryx

Most of the women I know, $50 would not begin to buy a new pair of shoes!!

^^I could buy 2 or 3 pairs of shoes with $50. I don't waste extra money on name brands and I shop sales.

My SO paid approximately $60 for his membership on a dating site. He joined to write to someone other than me but she disappeared. I joined to contact him on a 7 day free trial. I got his regular email before I cancelled so we could stay in contact. I also wrote to a few others but didn't receive many replies back. I was hesitant about giving out my credit card information but I never paid a cent. He said it was the best money he ever spent, he met me.

He was also on a free site I had never heard of datehookup and this one. I tried searching before joining the paid site but nothing came up. I had met another man from the same dating site by sending a free message through myspace. Our dating each other lasted about 2 months. The message stated something like, why do people use paid dating sites when there are free social networking sites to email through.
 melkiorr
Msg: 25
Posted: 7/14/2011 5:20:21 PM
because the women on eharmony, match and pretty much all the others are also on plentyoffish.

Why would i pay to see the same women on a different dating site ?
 bimmerdude
Msg: 26
Posted: 7/14/2011 9:43:08 PM
I joined because it was free. Of course, my expectations are low since there is no cost other than time. Most dating sites are not any better and charge $$$$. But I have better luck meeting women with Craig's list than POF so go figure!
Show ALL Forums  > Off Topic  > Why did you choose Plenty of Fish? Thoughts on other Dating Sites?