Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Dating Experiences  > Dating someone's dogs;) ?      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 Janet_Always
Msg: 2
Dating someone's dogs;) ?Page 1 of 1    
Absolutely. I sort of had a similar thing. 2 large dogs kept outside during the day -- pretty stinky and not very well mannered -- and the whole house was a mess. Just not a way I'd want to live -- or even hang with on any regularity.

It's one of those things you have to be compatible with. I'd never try and change anyone to match my preference, but I think it's important to find someone you could actually see yourself comfortable in their space.
 Cdn_Iceman
Msg: 4
Dating someone's dogs;) ?
Posted: 7/15/2011 1:49:00 PM
I find that there are two types of pet owners, Ive seen people that let their pets run amok in the house, the house is dirty and believes the pets are part of the family.

Ive seen the pet owners that are super clean, the pets well behaved, they don't allow their pets to run amok, those people I will date in a instance.

What I don't get is the pet owners that allows their dog to drink out of the toilet and they don't really clean the toilet too often and then let their dog kiss them on the lips and then they expect you to kiss them? hell no.
 mr_ultimo
Msg: 5
Posted: 7/15/2011 2:17:30 PM
While I've been on both sides of the fence. I dated someone with 2 dogs before I had one myself and now I have a very smart Aussie. I've also brought my dog over to a date's house and been annoyed by poorly trained dogs.

The thing that really helps the situation is to establish yourself as an Alpha to your SO's dogs. Many people don't know how to do this but it's actually quite simple. Treats work wonders. Just make sure to have them eat from your hands. Also, try to be around when they eat and stand over them. Put your foot down when it comes to your space and boundaries. Be firm with your SO, too. Just take over the situation. I don't care if my SO lets her dogs on the sofa or bed, I don't want them there so I start training them that those areas are off limits and I firmly say off.

You'll be amazed at how quickly they adapt and turn to you as the new alpha. For example, the last woman I dated had a terror of a dog. It would not come when you called, it wouldn't come inside when you wanted her to, it jumped on the bed, jumped on the sofa, just poorly trained. I started with the simple things I explained above and in about 2 weeks, her behavior was very different.

I also like to cook, although not vegetarian, I do cook many vegetarian dishes and you'll find that dogs love vegetable scraps. I feed the scraps to the dogs and this also establishes rapport and further increases your influence over them.

As far as cleaning, you'll have to have a little talk with the owner and offer to pitch in, if necessary. Most guys would be okay with that. I see no problem with allowing the dog to drink out of the toilet as long as it's kept clean. Toilet water is the cleanest in the house. Most people don't know that.

Good luck and work on those Alpha skills...
 motown cowgirl
Msg: 6
Posted: 7/15/2011 2:34:32 PM
Toilet water is the cleanest in the house. Most people don't know that.

right, so are you saying that's where you get your own personal refreshment? that's excellent, i hope you will add this bit of wisdom to your profile. it should make an immediate difference.

people with obnoxious dogs are really not all that different from people with obnoxious kids. and for pretty much the same reasons, it's a little hard to butt in. unless you know what you're doing AND they are open to some suggestions, you basically have to either disappear or put up with it. disappearing is easier, as you have learned. many people are actually unqualified to have dogs or kids, but then again there is really no effective way, in terms of public policy, that we can prevent them from doing it.

c'est la vie.
 Spider_MacGyver
Msg: 9
Posted: 7/15/2011 3:14:35 PM
Understand the issue: yes I do.
Understand your never telling him: not at all. There are a million creative ways to compromise on things like this, but he never got the chance to try.
 forumfishie
Msg: 11
Posted: 7/15/2011 3:28:10 PM
I don't know what you were doing kissing
a guy who kept a dog on his shoulder like a parrot
First time he growls at you
you say something
or you stop seeing the guy
because he is oblivious to his surroundings
or he just doesn NOT care about your personal safety

I mean you saw the dog perched up there
and you still going for a kiss?
That's a good way to lose a lip

The smell is not the dog's fault
it all the owner's
Hair is one thing, they shedd no matter what
but if the place stinks, it's just not cleaned correctly
I would NOT want to do anything
with someone who takes such poor care
of his pets and place
A dog should not jump at you and leave scars on your legs
when the owner is just standing there looking at it happening
No training, no care, and bad hygiene habits

Good preview of how he treats everything
else in his life

You were lucky
you didn't lose a finger or a lip
the scars on your legs hopefully will go away

BUT

You volunteered to date
the Dog non-whisperer
 warren_book
Msg: 12
Posted: 7/15/2011 3:40:37 PM

any who dislike their dates's multiple dogs jumping all over you while the proud owner looks on smiling? If so, how do you handle it?

I tend to pick up the offending dog(s) or cat(s) and throw it away from me.
Tends to not get me many future dates though.

his house smelled like a kennel right from the front door, especially the furniture. I am pretty sure none of those dogs ever got bathed, the sofa never washed,... I'm also pretty sure my man didn't notice it at all, and I didn't want to embarrass him by saying anything.

I would have broken up with someone right then.
I have done it in the past, if they keep a foul pet smelling home.
If they don't have good hygiene, they don't have good hygiene. A person can't be clean if they live in filth.

but I couldn't hurt his feelings

So in essence you lied to him.

Anyone understand how I feel?

When I was about 13 I did.
Then I learned it's retarded to hide how you really feel from people you want to give a shit about how you do feel. They will never learn to give a shit if you never let them know what about you to give a shit. All they will ever know is the facade you put up to hide how you feel. And that becomes the norm. You pull that down, and start being honest with them, it will freak them out and they will run away.
 majyk1
Msg: 13
Posted: 7/15/2011 3:52:47 PM
I own a 11 month old dog that weighs in at about 90lbs. I would never let him jump and lick on anyone! That's just disgusting IMO. Nor would I let him drink out of the toilet.
I've worked on training my dog from day one so he will not do those things.
PS. .. It's NOT a good idea to feed treats to a dog that you don't know, you never know how the dog will react! For example my dog is trained NOT to take food from strangers at all and will some times growl (not at me) just to show that that is a no no.

OP although IMO you wouldn't have had the right to ask him to get rid of his dogs I don't consider what you had was a "good" relationship. If it was, you would have been able to communicate your feelings and either worked together to fix the situation or come to some kind of compromise.
 WomanInProgress
Msg: 14
Posted: 7/15/2011 4:19:22 PM
I thought this was going to be about liking a guys dogs more than you like him, where you're taking them for walks and sending him off to pick up a sandwich, lol. Carry on.
 TooShadows
Msg: 15
view profile
History
Posted: 7/15/2011 4:34:40 PM
As long as they pay as much attention to me as they do to their animals. I dated one lady who let me know her pets came first. That one didn't last long.
 Vamperella
Msg: 16
Posted: 7/15/2011 5:42:31 PM
And there was no chance of a compromise @ the OP???

I had a German Shepherd that was very protective of me and would virtually shadow me wherever i went and would watch the movements of any adult that i talked to with such intensity that even i found it spooky and somewhat embarrassing at times. I'd never trained him to be like that, and it was something that he just did. One night i brought this guy that i had been seeing home for the first time...and as soon as we walked in the front door, Sultan just went ballistic and was straining that hard to get at him that i struggled with holding him back. Even after putting him into a separate room, he wouldn't let up barking and scratching at the door...which of course put an end to any amourous thoughts i may have been feeling at the time...needless to say, the guy didn't stay, nor did the relationship last very long after that episode, for other reasons other than Sultans reaction to him.

Turns out this guy had a history of bashing women.

So although pets can be rather tiresome at times..they are also very attuned to us humans.
 Seakytten
Msg: 17
Posted: 7/15/2011 6:34:13 PM
I find that there are two types of pet owners, Ive seen people that let their pets run amok in the house, the house is dirty and believes the pets are part of the family.

Ive seen the pet owners that are super clean, the pets well behaved, they don't allow their pets to run amok, those people I will date in a instance.

I agree and I'm proud to be the latter. I have 6 cats and 45 fish. I hold two full-time jobs. One at work and one at home making sure my place is free of cat odor, cat hair and is acceptable for my friends to drop by for a visit any time..day or night.

OP, if you really like this guy then just be honest with him about his dogs. Not everyone likes Fido jumping on them and tearing your panty hose, etc. Let him know how uncomfortable it makes you and you would love to date him but being honest is a starting foundation for something more down the line and welp, his dogs smell and are disgusting in their behaviour toward you. That's what I would say but I'm blunt in what I expect from a man and this is why I have 6 cats..obviously.

Kytten
 femaleconnection
Msg: 19
Posted: 7/17/2011 7:49:28 AM
I have a 6 yr old american c ocker spaniel and have just brought home a 9 week old bullmastiff. This is how I am spending my holidays...two weeks off now and in another two weeks, will be off for another two weeks. I need to work with the puppy very hard to get her trained to live here.

My older dog is helping me teach her the manners she needs to live in my home.

Jumping on people is not allowed. The furniture is for humans. My dogs are loved dearly, but they have boundaries and they are happy for it. Dogs love to please and take direction. There is simply no need for a dog to run amock, and they are not all that happy in that state anyways. They are happiest when thier master is in control and they know what is expected of them.

If I went to someones home and was made to feel like as an invited guest I was either in danger or that I was inconveniencing thier pets by being there, I would not return. If the house smells a little once in awhile I can understand that...but it should not stink every day.

I am the master/mistress of my home, I say when they eat, I say when they play and I say where/when they sit/laydown. My human guests will NOT be made to accomodate, my pets will be the ones accommodating. If a dog ever growled at me and thier owner did not adress it immedialty by correcting that dog, Id be so outta there. Thats a bite just waiting to happen. Seen it a thousand times. Spoiled animals are a danger.

I have left now 2 homes before the evening was over because thier dog growled at me and thier owner tried to laugh it off. (aw, look at my guy, protecting me-total BS -that dog is being possesive of thier owner and is angry the owner is not paying enough attention to that the dog-it is NOT being protective at all-it is being dominant and that is an issue)
 MsMicki
Msg: 20
view profile
History
Posted: 7/17/2011 8:15:17 AM
Hmmm......
as I'm looking at my 65 pounds of spoiled rotten but smart as hell dog laying on the couch....and thinking about the last man I dated....
I'm sticking with my dog!
Show ALL Forums  > Dating Experiences  > Dating someone's dogs;) ?