Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Plentyoffish Site/Suggestions/Help  > New Ultra Match Feature      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 MDMD
Msg: 1
New Ultra Match FeaturePage 1 of 2    (1, 2)
I noticed the new button on the menu masthead this afternoon for an Ultra Match search function. The description indicates that the function is only available with "Membership" because of the resources it requires.

I thought that since I had a conferred Platinum Membership that this function would be available to me, but I merely get an incomplete screen when trying to access it. Is it a currently functioning new feature? How does the Ultra Match search function work? Will it be available to all classes of "Members", both Paid and Unpaid? It certainly has my curiosity.
 *Cowboy*
Msg: 2
New Ultra Match Feature
Posted: 7/21/2011 5:54:58 PM
It is working just click on it. I get 5 complete rows of "ultra matches".

No idea what the actual differance is if any from the regular match. maybe Admin will make a stop by and clue us in.

Cowboy
 MDMD
Msg: 3
New Ultra Match Feature
Posted: 7/21/2011 6:34:31 PM
At this moment the feature is still not working for me. When I select the "Get Access Now" button, I just get a blank screen with a partial menu masthead. The same thing occurs when I try to select the "Upgrade" button on the menu masthead.

Two possibilities occur to me: Perhaps the feature is being rolled out by time zones or some other specialized geographic plan; Or, perhaps the feature was not intended to be utilized by Honorary Members. If the latter is the case then it seems strange that Honorary Members should also be denied the ability to "Upgrade" their membership for a fee in order to enjoy this and other perquisites.

I would be interested to hear from any other Honorary Members to see if the new feature is working for them and whether they can discern any difference from the standard match and advanced search functions. Thanks!
 justagrlwithacat
Msg: 4
New Ultra Match Feature
Posted: 7/21/2011 6:38:53 PM
love the wording on it :) haha
Way to go word sleuthing pof worker bee.
 MDMD
Msg: 5
New Ultra Match Feature
Posted: 7/21/2011 6:45:30 PM
Heh! I have just noticed since my last post that the "Upgrade" button has vanished from the masthead. Apparently there's quite a lot getting revised and updated tonight!
 *Cowboy*
Msg: 6
New Ultra Match Feature
Posted: 7/21/2011 6:59:39 PM
The feature works. I have tried it.

upgrade link is available on the left side above inbox a couple rows below the Ultra Match link

Cowboy
 Revilors
Msg: 7
New Ultra Match Feature
Posted: 7/21/2011 7:27:02 PM
You need to be a paying "member". The upgrade link works and goes to the payment options.

There aren't enough members (paid or unpaid) in my area as it always defaults to the entire state. I doubt further screening is going to be of added value to me.
 Munkeechi
Msg: 8
view profile
History
New Ultra Match Feature
Posted: 7/21/2011 9:41:02 PM

Are they going to rename the other Matches to |Somewhat Matches| ?

LMAO!!!!

So true... so true
 BigFish
Msg: 9
view profile
History
New Ultra Match Feature
Posted: 7/21/2011 11:16:47 PM
I'll fix it tomorrow for the free ones. I don't want to make a change that will take down the site over night.

this feature requires so much computing power it nearly took down the site just opening it up to paid users only.
 MDMD
Msg: 10
New Ultra Match Feature
Posted: 7/21/2011 11:32:01 PM
Terrific! Thanks!
 HawkingJr
Msg: 11
view profile
History
New Ultra Match Feature
Posted: 7/22/2011 5:36:42 AM
Maybe he's currently working on the feature, but when I click on it, I get sent to the "Upgrade" page. This despite the fact that I am upgraded, as proven by the fact that I can see the status of my sent messages. And it's definitely not "honorary."
 *Cowboy*
Msg: 12
New Ultra Match Feature
Posted: 7/22/2011 5:42:47 AM
^^^^ I am upgraded and I get 5 rows of women when I click on it. I will say they seem cuter then what I would see on my normal matches but that I assume is just a weird co-incidense.

I am a fairly recent upgrade though unless that has something to do with it somehow.

Cowboy
 HawkingJr
Msg: 13
view profile
History
New Ultra Match Feature
Posted: 7/22/2011 8:07:34 AM
It's been many months since I saw anything in regular Matches besides "Not enough local matches, defaulting to a state level search." And I live dead in the middle of a 4 million person metro. So does this also happen to people with "Ultra Match"? Because if it does, then I don't think it would be worth the cost for many users to get "Ultra Matches" -- if I took Matches itself seriously, I definitely would be upset with the continuous state default IF I had to pay for that.

And I think most people would really like to know what makes "Ultra Match" better than "Regular Match" before they spend any money on it. Not only does it not say anything about the differences at all anywhere in the sign-up for the feature (and I assume not for the feature itself, which I can't access for whatever reason), but Markus actually posted in this thread without answering anything about that. Are users really supposed to just TRUST POF to give us better "matches" for more money? They previously said I was going to get more emails for more money, and THAT never materialized.

Now I would gladly pay for "better matches" if they truly were matches in the sense that not only were they women who interested me, but also women that the site KNEW (key word here) to be interested in a guy with my chararacteristics, because that would save me a whole heck of lot of wasted time on the site, as currently I just have to take random guesses on the 90%+ women (out of tens of thousands in my area) that don't disqualify me in their profiles. But it seems impossible that the site could possibly determine if women were interested in a guy like me without actually asking them questions about their preferences and dealbreakers, which I am fairly certain they have not. It is somewhat possible they are taking into consideration what users regularly advance search for to determine these new "ultra matches" but (A) I thought the site already took that into consideration on many of the features anyway? (B) they need to fix "advance search" so users can choose multiple options on ALL the questions for this concept to truly work correctly.

On a related note, I noticed under Matches that it now says "Use the meet me feature to dramatically improve your matches!" I'm guessing that suggests that Regular Matches takes into consideration the type of people you say "Yes" to and the type of people you say "No" to (and conversely, the type of people who say "Yes" and "No" to you). Which wouldn't be the world's worst idea, except the only info you get about a person in Meet Me are pictures, age, seeking and city, which really isn't anywhere near enough info to go on for a Matching function (as most people probably don't click on the profiles to see more). However, if this is true, that would explain a lot. In almost a year since Meet Me was implemented, only 4 women have ever clicked "Yes" on me. Therefore, if Matches are determined at least partially by who is clicking "Yes" on you in Meet Me, then I probably wouldn't have very many Matches in a 4 million person metro, since the system probably can't make heads or tails of 4 yeses and hundreds/thousands of no's, and is forced to default to the state level. And my Matches started defaulting to the state level a few weeks after Meet Me was implemented. So...
 GetRipped66
Msg: 14
New Ultra Match Feature
Posted: 7/22/2011 9:29:55 AM
I got it for free for a couple hours last night. Gave me almost an identical view as the regular matches. Nothing about this feature would get me to want to upgrade.

I would pay for additional search criteria before letting a computer "match" me.

Being able to highlight more than 1 "Child" criteria is something I have been wanting for quite a while.

As it is now, I have to seperate searches for "Does not want" "Undecided" and "I'll tell ya later" etc.

PIA.
 Revilors
Msg: 15
New Ultra Match Feature
Posted: 7/22/2011 9:53:42 AM

I got it for free for a couple hours last night. Gave me almost an identical view as the regular matches. Nothing about this feature would get me to want to upgrade.

When I switch from the search option to either "my match's or meet me", I get predominantly women that are 200 plus miles away. I can only imagine what would happen if the "ultra" women from hundreds of miles away got a front of the line pass.

What data have we provided this site that could possibly make a match? I remember giving a mandatory income answer and maybe one other question. And...we can't edit those answers. So, since then...I could have easily lost my job or doubled my income.

I'm not sure what calculations are bogging down the system. Perhaps it's in credit card processing.
 BigFish
Msg: 16
view profile
History
New Ultra Match Feature
Posted: 7/22/2011 1:03:36 PM
Your getting few matches because of your height.
 Revilors
Msg: 17
New Ultra Match Feature
Posted: 7/22/2011 1:14:28 PM

Your getting few matches because of your height.

If you can write the code to fix this...I'm in.

Who/how is it determine that any woman taller than a given man cannot be a match. I'd be willing to date a taller woman. Just have to bring my milk crate along with.

Would they become a match...if I upgrade?
 HawkingJr
Msg: 18
view profile
History
New Ultra Match Feature
Posted: 7/23/2011 9:08:43 AM
"Your getting few matches because of your height."

I'm guessing that was directed toward me. I am well aware of the site's assumptions on ALL women's height preferences. However, I've been here 4.5 years, and previous threads about the subject indicate the site's height assumption in matching has been true pretty much throughout the history of the site (for example, you yourself in this thread: <a href="http://forums.plentyoffish.com/datingPosts13628616.aspx">http://forums.plentyoffish.com/datingPosts13628616.aspx</a>, which was 1.5 years ago), yet I still got local matches everytime during my first 3.5 years here. It didn't start "defaulting to the state level" until after the implementation of Meet Me in fall 2010.

Since we can no longer remove matches (and I never did anyway) nor have I moved nor has there been any great shift in my area's population, then the amount of matches the system finds for me shouldn't have been reduced, unless some new rule came into effect. And the only NEW thing I know of that could affect the Matches is Meet Me (according to the wording on the Matches page itself), and like I said, it seems more than an interesting coincidence that I started defaulting to the state level a few weeks after Meet Me was implemented.

In summary, although I have no doubt that my height and the system's assumptions about height preferences are restricting the number of Matches I receive, because the height rules were implemented YEARS before my matches started defaulting to the state level, there has to be something else at play here.

And I'm certainly not about to argue against my height having a great deal to do with my relative failure on this site (or in life), but I don't really see the fairness in the site deciding that for women. Why can't they just decide that for themselves? Most will agree with you, but not all of them -- the majority of the women I have dated were taller than me. And I say that not just for height but pretty much any preference the system assumes about. That's the reason why most users don't take any of the site's supposed "Matches" very seriously -- because of the relative lack of straightforward user input in matching criteria.

But back to this original topic: still not getting an "Ultra Matches" despite premium membership. Just an upgrade page. And still don't know why "Ultra Matches" are better than regular matches and would be worth paying for.

EDIT TO ADD: Guess what? Something else happened at the same time as Meet Me that I completely forgot about that affects your Matches, and after just remembering it, I did a little experiment to see what would happen. And now I know why I am apparently defaulting to the state level currently vs. not defaulting last year.

Around the same time Meet Me was added, the site imposed the mandatory "Would you date someone with children?" I clicked "No" (because, quite frankly, I don't care that much for kids and got tired of seeing women with children in my Meet Me choices). So I just changed my answer to that question to "Yes," and, voila! Matches stopped defaulting to the state level -- all local now. So apparently if you are old enough such that most women your age have children, you can restrict yourself out of local Matches by answering "No" to that question. Probably same is true in a way with the smoking question. Of course, I imagine if I were average height, it probably wouldn't default to the state level even if I clicked "No" on the children question, because there would be 50-60% more women available to Match me with, so, yeah, height has something to do with it, but it was the kids question that primarily changed my results over the past year...
 BigFish
Msg: 19
view profile
History
New Ultra Match Feature
Posted: 7/23/2011 11:26:01 AM
The ultra match doesn't cut off height the way the other searches do.

Your membership expired 2 years ago.
 DenaliDadd
Msg: 20
New Ultra Match Feature
Posted: 7/23/2011 11:56:59 AM
I, too, am a paid member. When *I* click on the Ultra link, however, I only get the credit card information page.
 Kskillzlol
Msg: 21
New Ultra Match Feature
Posted: 7/23/2011 7:21:30 PM
I would still like to know what the Ultra Matches does that is so revolutionary. I can't seem to find features listed anywhere.
 didjm
Msg: 22
New Ultra Match Feature
Posted: 7/24/2011 3:54:35 AM
I would take a guess that BigFish has started using your interests as part of the matching algorithm and that's why it is taking up so much processor power.

Just a guess
 developereo1
Msg: 23
New Ultra Match Feature
Posted: 7/24/2011 3:54:56 AM
Yes, can we please have a description, screenshots, something so we can decide if the Ultra feature is worth the money?

Thanks.
 *Cowboy*
Msg: 24
New Ultra Match Feature
Posted: 7/24/2011 4:37:20 AM
^^^^ screenshots of what? lol It does not look any different from the old matches. It is the selection criteria that has changed and I seriously doubt you will get more then a one sentence vague description of that here.

Cowboy
 avera1
Msg: 25
New Ultra Match Feature
Posted: 7/24/2011 5:34:02 AM
"astronomical computing power required to generate these matches in real time. " really? Seriously?
Show ALL Forums  > Plentyoffish Site/Suggestions/Help  > New Ultra Match Feature