Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Ask A Girl  > why do girls not want short first messages      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 _TALL_IQ2_
Msg: 2
why do girls not want short first messagesPage 1 of 1    

i don't quite get the point. usually in person people just say hi

Hi, where u from?

Janet_Always
Msg: 3
why do girls not want short first messages
Posted: 7/22/2011 2:02:49 PM
You are right. They will look at your picture before deciding whether to bother with the profile. So make it a good one. And if you've nothing to say other than "HI" don't bother. They have dozens more like you in the read/deleted bin.
 theforumfiend
Msg: 4
Posted: 7/22/2011 2:04:04 PM
Yup, it's to weed out things like:

Whatcha wearing?
Do you like sex?
Wanna blow me?
 shakeitupbaby2012
Msg: 5
Posted: 7/22/2011 2:07:21 PM
Here's a list of typical 1st messages that seem like zero effort OR expectations was put into it:

Sup?
Hi
How are you
What ya doin
Etc

This isn't a first contact in person and some effort and thoughtfulness should be in a message.
First impressions are more of an impact online because you're taking away the sense of hearing, smell and touch
And are ONLY left with the visual image of a pic and writing. Therefore, the writing becomes more important.
I have no interest in a message that's put out as a teaser because someone is negative and lacks the attitude or effort to send something that tells me what's up-
 shakeitupbaby2012
Msg: 6
Posted: 7/22/2011 2:08:09 PM
Oops double post
 Cdn_Iceman
Msg: 7
Posted: 7/22/2011 2:23:20 PM
Its not women that gets annoyed with short message some men hate it too, Me included, I have in my profile, any one or two word messages , don't expect a reply and if you continue im blocking you.

Or text messages openings

Sup,
waddup,
yo dawg
yo G
wanna chat? that one floors me, why do you think we have f ucking profiles for?
 Peppigonzalis
Msg: 9
Posted: 7/22/2011 2:25:30 PM
Just saying "Hi" is interpreted as an ingenuine effort to 'approach' a woman on POF.
It doesn't leave much room for a response or evoke any interest.
 808md
Msg: 10
Posted: 7/22/2011 2:26:05 PM
I never write more than a one-liner. It just needs to be witty.
 Cdn_Iceman
Msg: 12
Posted: 7/22/2011 2:48:59 PM
fishy, just take better pics, that's a start, the more good pictures you have the more viewers you will get, the better the profile is the more messages you will receive.

Most women looks at the pictures first, then the profile before they decide to email back.
if you have blah pics and a blah profile why should they email back?

EDIT:

Maybe you should email Saucy78, and have him give you some pointers, its working for him and I believe he has a date this weekend, If im not mistake
 unclezeus
Msg: 14
Posted: 7/22/2011 3:24:50 PM

quite a few girls have set minimum length requirement in a message.
...so deal with it.

usually in person people just say hi and see where they go from there.

This isn't in person. Its in cyber. There is no ability to sense the person.

In person when you meet and say "Hi", there are many things being sensed and processed about each person , in that first minute, as they greet each other.

On the internet, there is no sensing. Only a photo, and written words.

it feels like most girls on here just look at pictures first before they decide on reading messages or profiles anyways.
...Yes, so what? Men do the same thing.
If you can't sense a person, their photo is all you've got to make a decision of attraction to them. Then you have to meet in person, and meeting in person then overrides any previous information you got before you met in person.

what kind of opener message are people really expecting anyways?
....Come on, don't be so thick headed. If you could not sense someone, at all, since some don't even have a picture, what would you want to know, before you started sharing chat with them.

there are plenty of profiles that mention things along the line of "don't bother sending a message that just says hello"
.....Yes, why does that seem unreasonable?
 luvnsumr71
Msg: 15
Posted: 7/22/2011 3:35:31 PM
Well girls want SUBSTANCE and when a man sends a short generic message that says "hell how are you " that is BORING in my opinion and shows laziness...

If a guy sends a 'mature' message with some humor and throws in a question regarding something they read in her profile I guarantee you she will respond because it makes the woman feel that the guy "could" be genuine if he is actually taking to the time to show "INTEREST" HELLO "INTEREST" Is the KEY word here on a dating site!!
 Rozewater
Msg: 16
Posted: 7/22/2011 4:20:24 PM
Imagine getting 50 or 100 "hellos" - you'd get pretty teed off, no?
 justagrlwithacat
Msg: 18
Posted: 7/22/2011 4:52:10 PM
because it's so tedious when some person sends a mass of super general copy/paste lines or words to a bunch of profiles and when he gets a response, then he'll take the time to look at a profile. it wreaks of "I'm not really serious about being here".
Sometimes that isn't the case, but they ruin it for the minority.

(I still get 4, 5 word ones and short generalized sentences, but i just delete those).
 Cdn_Iceman
Msg: 19
Posted: 7/22/2011 4:56:58 PM
^^^^^ amen to that I do the same thing, I dont have time, patience to deal with those, isnt it annoying receiving those?
Show ALL Forums  > Ask A Girl  > why do girls not want short first messages