Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > UK forums  > London is Burning      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 upper_west_side
Msg: 2
view profile
History
London is BurningPage 1 of 15    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15)
It's not just black people... it's scum. Pure and simple. Young scum who should be locked up, but who know the chances of them getting into trouble for what they are doing are minimal.

I'm only 33 but... "the youth of today!!".
 badge73
Msg: 5
view profile
History
London is Burning
Posted: 8/8/2011 10:02:43 AM
the problem with our police is they have no bite, unless you drive a car

just a shame they could not be like the french or german police, straight in with the tear gas and water cannons, they rush straight in with the long batons across the knee caps.

just a shame its the ordinary person in the street who suffers the most, they use a sledge hammer to crack a nut if you drive over the speed limit or not bother with a census form, yet when people use violence to rob and destroy people lively hood, its the stand back approach. no doubt the criminals have there lawyers on speed dial just in case

round them up, liaison with the dwp, immigration, social services and secret services and sort them out once and for all.

im hoping old boris has the guts to declare marshal law, looters shot on sight.
London is Burning
Posted: 8/8/2011 10:07:04 AM
It would appear that the police whom successfully kettled and marshaled the pension and fees protests are having less success in the suburbs. Many of the residents seem to be complaining about the police's lack of activity aslong side the wantum destruction, violence and theft by the mob. Is this policing by postcode?
 oggers
Msg: 10
view profile
History
London is Burning
Posted: 8/8/2011 10:20:35 AM
I think its violence organised by the Window Glazers Trade Association to drum up a bit of business ,,

,,not helped of course by the fact that our earstwhile government has decided that cutting funding for the police was a Good Idea.

And who suffers ? The innocent who have the misfortune to live in the area....

There is more to this Mark Duggan thing than meets the eye - police do not shoot people for no reason (as is portrayed by certain individuals). There was a report on the radio that he was in fact armed and into drug gangs etc .. no doubt the truth will out eventually.
This current unrest is unrelated, and is simply mindless rioting / violence imo
 Marquis_de_Michaelmas
Msg: 12
view profile
History
London is Burning
Posted: 8/8/2011 10:27:04 AM

There is more to this Mark Duggan thing than meets the eye - police do not shoot people for no reason (as is portrayed by certain individuals).

No, I don't believe Mr Duggan is Brazillian!

You are quite right though with regard to some information about three police bullets another non-police gun that had been used retrieved from the crime scene and a bullet embedded in a police radio. But it's early doors as such and there as often is a minefield of various stories, whether they are true or not, hopefully we will discover in the fullness of time.
 Marquis_de_Michaelmas
Msg: 20
view profile
History
London is Burning
Posted: 8/8/2011 11:30:26 AM
I wonder how many of these "scum" these "shites" etc would be out there now fighting, looting, setting things on fire; if they had good jobs, prospects, renumeration and really had a true voice and involvement in our society? Just a thought!
 badge73
Msg: 30
view profile
History
London is Burning
Posted: 8/8/2011 12:22:53 PM

i find it worrying watching this on tv. it reminds me of the riots in the 80's in liverpool.

no different to any day ....... robbing and looting
 badge73
Msg: 39
view profile
History
London is Burning
Posted: 8/8/2011 12:56:15 PM

Message 40 glad you find its funny my kids are terrified

so you would rather be on the internet then looking after them? .......
 ~Hams~
Msg: 41
view profile
History
London is Burning
Posted: 8/8/2011 1:02:52 PM
I was going to start a topic on this last Saturday
but I didn't as it wasn't anything to do with dating however
as this is now getting serious its time for us all to start condemning these criminals.

Thats what these disgraceful thugs are who are bringing chaos to the streets of London.

There are also young kids out there aged 7 and 8 throwing bricks at the police and looting.

Where are there parents? - I hope they are also sent to prison when the punishments are given out.

I can understand what happened in Tottenham but there is no excuse for whats going on now.

These scum bags out on the streets are just opportunistic criminals out for what they can rob.

I say its time for the army to be deployed on the streets of London with water cannons and rubber bullets.
 upper_west_side
Msg: 49
view profile
History
London is Burning
Posted: 8/8/2011 1:24:11 PM
Anyone else single and wishing they had someone to cuddle on the couch while watching this unfold?? (hint hint)
 qedeshim
Msg: 61
view profile
History
London is Burning
Posted: 8/8/2011 3:10:31 PM
Well what a load of middle class people clucking together in union, about the state of the city, and how terrible it is, and how they croon for more brutality from the state through their agents.

I assume I am addressing the new, bright, and trilling, 'Hang 'em and Flog Brigade' with right wing views, and not a shred of considered debate.

Rule No.1 When you have nothing, or think you have nothing you have nothing to loose

So why not look at it from a bigger picture point of view.

You are the middle, the shocked and appalled new middle, with your middle class values, the outraged relatively comfortable middle, with a few middle fallen on hard times but educated middle never the less.

At one end of the spectrum we have the bankers who have stolen, swindled, defrauded us and who get compensation yearly in bonuses, for crapping on our country. We are now all in debt to them, and pay both their wages and bonuses. We allow them to use our money to hike up food, energy, oil and the rest of the prices, as they had no money of their own. Did you forget that?

At the other end of the scale we have generations with no future, for the better educated, fees to pay off till they are 50, for the rest nothing, never ever for the majority. Our supposed just society is so unjust that we all pretend its god's way and we cannot do nowt!

And so you to varying degrees the prosperous, with nice homes, with nice stuff, and pictures of past histories, declaring the natural order of social progress, have like rabbits been caught in the headlights of the veneer of what civilisation is all about. Its a lie, and we live it, and we are all good people, threatened by anarchy, and wanting a police state to sort it out suddenly, to protect your accumulated wealth, be it family, home and of course the trinkets of social status.

Well the riots in the rest of the world are all about what? What are the Arabs, Israelis and the rest up to globally? You appear to be somewhat disconnected when it strikes near you. Well if I say burn the present world, destroy the superficial values, and the conceit that has grown up like a cancer.

We have 100 of thousands if not a few million to be sacked yet, and the chance of an upturn, more chance of the second coming, and not about male sexual prowess.

We are at best 14 days away from anarchy, at all times, as the fuel stoppage demonstrated a few years ago, with the lorry strikes. We are all innit together is yet another propaganda trill from the thieves that run the UK. A fair society it is not, and the banner of that hopefully will be trashed as this taste of anarchy will hopefully ignite in the next few years.
 ZXTTTT
Msg: 62
view profile
History
London is Burning
Posted: 8/8/2011 3:14:40 PM
I think the police in this country are way to soft with things like this, Or should I say they have to look after the wrong doers as they seem to have more rights.
The stuff that is going on now, is nothing to do with what happened in the first place.
I find funny that the police are able to control football fans by the thousands, but looters and arsonists can do what they like.
 xxmistyxx
Msg: 63
view profile
History
London is Burning
Posted: 8/8/2011 3:19:45 PM
I live quite near to both Woolwich and Lewisham, tonight Woolwich is being looted and fire can be seen ... 1 of my daughters lives one side and another daughter ,son in law and grandaughter live other side side to where the looting and rioting are taking place......

It has taken 3 days for our prime minister to actually return home .. Lots are calling for the army to be used but that seems to be falling on deaf ears...

I do not condone Tottenham riots but do understand why it happened...

I do not condone the Brixton riots but do understand why that happened... That was because the lady paralysed in the 1985 riots died on Sunday....

I do not condone any violence and what is happening now is just greedy people seizing an opportunity...

People losing their homes and business just for peoples greed...Why did the government NOT shut down the BB messenger ? as that has been stated to be the way people communicated...

Stay safe people...
 xxmistyxx
Msg: 67
view profile
History
London is Burning
Posted: 8/8/2011 3:38:26 PM

Misty they have arsoned Wetherspoons in Woolwich...
One of my daughters has aquired a pic showing wetherspoons on fire ... No fire brigade or police any where near..

Everyone round here is scared... Heard but nothing confirmed as yet, that Shops down Bugsby way have been looted...

I can understand looting a shop for greed but what is the point of setting alight a pub? I do believe that is also a listed building .. I do hope that it survives...
 ZXTTTT
Msg: 76
view profile
History
London is Burning
Posted: 8/8/2011 4:22:36 PM
It dosen't matter what excuses people make for these shites, it's wrong, is any one going to say it's ok for them to do this.
 mysteriosa
Msg: 78
view profile
History
London is Burning
Posted: 8/8/2011 4:25:14 PM
I agree with a lot of what you say, jo van. Although there's no excuse for robbing or hurting people and their hard-earned businesses, it seems to me this is an eruption of anger at the current economic situation and the government's handling of it. The government, and many people it seems, have been oblivious to the real pain this is causing those on low incomes. Not only is it painful for those without jobs or at risk of losing them, but accommodation is limited and expensive, incomes falling and the basics of life going up in price. Young people face paying a lot to further their education or abandoning it altogether in an environment when people are expected to have a degree to get a job.

The anger and resentment has been building for some time and there has been no outlet for it. The government pretends it doesn't exist and the BBC daren't mention it in case they are accused of fanning the flames of discontent. The discontent is already there. It only took one incident to trigger a massive wave of rebellion against the status quo. The original incident triggered it but if it hadn't been the shooting of a young man it would have been something else. The government should have seen it coming and really it shows that they were naive if they thought they could put people under such economic pressure without getting a reaction. It was irresponsible to do so, because now everyone suffers and the police are caught in the middle. I'm sure they don't want to be fighting their fellow citizens in the streets either.

The cuts look mainly ideological and without real thought for the consequences. The better off can assume that we can all bear to share the economic pain because they feel so little of it. The poorer members of society are not insulated from the pain and it was only a matter of time before something happened.
 Strider886
Msg: 79
view profile
History
London is Burning
Posted: 8/8/2011 4:36:10 PM
mysteriosa ^^ It's kids looking for a fight, pure and simple.....

If anyone is to blame, it's the generation before them, for being so damn soft and not teaching these kids any moral standards!

More and more often these days, riots kick off with no cause at all..... Where 20+ years ago, at least people knew what they were fighting for.
 mysteriosa
Msg: 82
view profile
History
London is Burning
Posted: 8/8/2011 4:56:26 PM

It's kids looking for a fight, pure and simple

'Fraid I have to disagree. That's a very black-and-white view. I admit it has turned into that but that's not why it all started and blew up into something bigger. People are distressed and angry at the economic situation and the fact that there seems no end in sight. The government has totally ignored this, forging ahead without a mandate. Pretending that everything's under control and we all have to suffer a bit to get the economy straight just doesn't fly when you are living on the edge. Some will always leap on the band-wagon, but you can't heap economic pressure on people relentlessly. Eventually, the resentment and anger will surface.

I am not condoning what these people are doing at all, but people who feel they have a stake in society and opportunities to look forward to will not want to destroy them.
 mysteriosa
Msg: 84
view profile
History
London is Burning
Posted: 8/8/2011 5:03:46 PM
And, by the way, I completely agree that some young people are brought up with appalling values and manners and shouldn't get away with abusing others. What was a protest has obviously turned into looting and pillaging, but one has to look at the structure of society and the context people are living in, to see what's behind all this. What pressures and frustrations are people experiencing that generate such anger?
 mysteriosa
Msg: 86
view profile
History
London is Burning
Posted: 8/8/2011 5:16:15 PM
I was talking about how this all blew up, not what it turned into. People with nothing to lose are more likely to risk breaking society's conventions. The government is framing this as mindless criminality and no doubt will try severe repression as a solution. It needs to do that rather than to admit that its policies are hurting people to the extent that there will be civil unrest in our country. We need to learn about the root causes of this rioting rather than just cover up the symptoms.
 daffie
Msg: 87
view profile
History
London is Burning
Posted: 8/8/2011 5:19:07 PM
where is the army?
surely they should already be on the streets.

these people are criminals and yobs...mindless violent criminals and yobs who are being urged on by anarchists using social media to incite as much violence and pillaging as they can.
the death of mark duggan was just an excuse to go on a lawless rampage of looting and burning. where are the parents of the 10 year olds pushing trolley loads of looted goodies...on the streets with their kids doing the same thing?

this all augers well for the olympics next year, maybe it's a trial run by the anarchists!
employ the army and use real bullets to get rid of the scum...
 mysteriosa
Msg: 90
view profile
History
London is Burning
Posted: 8/8/2011 5:46:59 PM
I certainly wouldn't want to justify what is taking place; it's appalling. What I was trying to show was that underlying anger and resentment was bound to boil over at some point with some trigger. The government must have known this when it decided to implement its austerity measures. If you look at any country in the world (where there is not a dictatorship), as soon as prices of essentials start to rise above people's means, they protest and riot. If prices rise, incomes fall and opportunities are reduced, all at once and probably increasingly so for the future (looking at the current state of the markets), then people cannot hope their situation will improve. It's not surprising then if they start to think they have nothing to lose by kicking up a fuss.
 ~Hams~
Msg: 93
view profile
History
London is Burning
Posted: 8/8/2011 5:55:23 PM
Thanks RubyWaxxx

The violence has now spread up north to Liverpool and Manchester so its not just a London thing.

This isn't any sort of revolution by the way.
Its just a large number of mindless scumbags committing criminal acts.

If David Cameron has any balls he should call on the army to deal with this vermin.

If I was able I'd get my baseball bat and go and help the police by bashing up some of these animals.

I'm not able to sleep tonight as there is rioting going on not far away from where I live and it sounds like world war 3 out there!

If any of these scumbags come near my property I'll break their legs.
 Strider886
Msg: 94
view profile
History
London is Burning
Posted: 8/8/2011 5:59:23 PM

I admit it has turned into that but that's not why it all started and blew up into something bigger.

No, it blew up because a bunch of fools thought it was cool to wave guns about, pretending to be "gangsta". Now I wonder where all that started......

I don't know what the politicians are saying, but im damn sure they'll be blaming the economy...... They have to stay sat on that "neutral fence".
 daffie
Msg: 96
view profile
History
London is Burning
Posted: 8/8/2011 8:09:39 PM
'tis a very sad day when the death of a crack cocaine dealer who often carried a gun is the impetus for these riots.

this gangster's death provided an unlikely martyr for the mindless thugs and anarchists, an excuse to ransack, pillage, gut and destroy areas of london and surrounds.
people have lost their homes and incomes to these rioters. who is going to help them in the future? a building that survived the blitz of the second world war was torched and remains an ugly testament to this violence.
all that seems to be missing here is rape and murder, maybe they're the next things to occur.

social media has been used to incite and encourage these cowardly yobs to "roll' to the areas of unrest with their bottles, bricks, rocks and knives and to loot stores for goodies such as televisions, jewellery and clothing...all necessities of life?
maybe the authorities should shut down the networks so these cowards are not privy to the information of where next to gather and wreak havoc, at least the authorities could enforce a lockdown of these "deprived" areas.
as i mentioned before...
where is the army?...
Show ALL Forums  > UK forums  > London is Burning