Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Health Wellness  > I NEED ADVICE      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 MsMuscleChick
Msg: 2
I NEED ADVICEPage 1 of 1    
How muscular? To my knowledge, no. Lifting weights is really where putting muscle comes from. I am sure in time all the other activities will * tone * you...but bulk and mass come from....weight lifting. And DIET.

Cardio ( in my world ) makes me too light for what I want to do...so I only do enough to keep lean.

Do what your doctor says though. I am sorry, whatever the diagnosis is. I could not imagine...
 casey0413
Msg: 4
I NEED ADVICE
Posted: 8/10/2011 6:05:40 AM
Your next best bet might be yoga. Ask your doctor if you can even do power yoga.
 TDH49
Msg: 6
I NEED ADVICE
Posted: 8/10/2011 6:25:50 AM
Drink one or two protein shakes a day. Can you do pushup? You don't have to pumping iron to do those or is that off limits too?

How long are is the gym off limits?
 casey0413
Msg: 8
I NEED ADVICE
Posted: 8/10/2011 7:38:49 AM
If push ups are off limits, the yoga moves I was thinking of that would keep your upper body muscular, will be too.
 cenomeno
Msg: 9
I NEED ADVICE
Posted: 8/10/2011 10:45:31 AM
Running and swimming builds endurance and size (not alot of course) if you feed yourself the right way. Diet is everything - you're what you eat. Keep your running and swimming but also get yourself into some lean bulking diet with moderate to high carbs. That should feel you up nicely.

You need to eat to grow and you REALLY need to eat some. I cant even imagine being 63kg... I am your height and 97kg... Get yourself a steak and some sweet potatoes ... NOW!
 FrankNStein902
Msg: 10
I NEED ADVICE
Posted: 8/10/2011 10:46:39 AM
However... i was told by my doctor that because i have a medical condition its not wise for me to carry on lifting weights... running, swimming and cycling is fine but weight lifting isnt advised.

Well unless you are willing to disclose your condition no one will be able to give you better advice than your Dr.

I still want to bulk up a little bit or at least maintain the body I have now but without going to the gym I'm afraid id lose my muscle and go back to being too thin...

Why are you afraid of being thin?

...any alternatives to carry on putting on muscle or maintaining my muscle without lifting weights?

Essentially, hypertrophy (muscle growth) is a product if protein metabolism, broken down further into what they call protein turnover which is the amount of protein that’s taken into your muscles and converted into contractile tissue, versus the amount that’s broken down and sent elsewhere.

In order to grow your muscle (by grow I mean increase the cross-sectional area (CSA) of a muscle fiber) you need to stimulate it via muscular tension. How you go about this is called the Tension-Time Integral (TTI), which is basically number of sets and amount of weight used.

Challenging your muscle to do something it is not capable of doing will set the condition for growth provided you are feeding it properly and do not have any genetic inhibitors.

Your muscles can be simply broken down into two types

Type I = Fast twitch, good for short bursts of power but limited in endurance.

Type II = Slow Twitch, good for endurance.

When you are weight lifting you are for the most part stimulating your Type I fibers.

Endurance sports stimulate the Type II fibers.

So you can still build muscle with out lifting weights, but again not knowing why your Dr has advised you not to participate in those types of activities and you not disclosing why, means I can not offer you any advise other than to ask your Dr.
 cenomeno
Msg: 12
I NEED ADVICE
Posted: 8/10/2011 11:27:37 AM
I am not telling you to bulk up to 100kgs. I am saying diet+resistance training = muscle gain.. You need to EAT if you want to add some muscle. Keep your running and swimming
and go for grocery shopping. That's all you need.. to look like Ronaldo.....
 JeetKuneDo
Msg: 14
I NEED ADVICE
Posted: 8/10/2011 12:19:36 PM
Isometrics exercise should do. The basic works out doesn't involve that much moving or lifting.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Pushing-Yourself-Power-Ultimate-Transformation/dp/1932458018/ref=sr_1_14?ie=UTF8&qid=1313003838&sr=8-14
 808md
Msg: 16
I NEED ADVICE
Posted: 8/10/2011 12:30:07 PM

i dnt know exactly what the condition is called but its a heart condition

You have a heart condition that will keep you out of the gym forever and you don't know the name. You have not Googled it? You have not gotten a second opinion?

Forget your looks for now and try to understand what's going on with your body.
 casey0413
Msg: 17
I NEED ADVICE
Posted: 8/10/2011 1:19:20 PM

i dnt know exactly what the condition is called but its a heart condition... i do plan on asking gym/fitness instructors in the gym

Ack! Don't go asking a fitness instructor for help until YOU undestand exactly what it is you have and why you have to avoid the excercises you do! Fitness instructors are not doctors, so don't trust them to know what is safe for you.
 jay148
Msg: 18
view profile
History
I NEED ADVICE
Posted: 8/13/2011 3:28:20 PM
if you looking to look like ronoldo and nadal then listen to the fella that has posted above, do muscular hypertrphy, that is 12 repetitions 3 sets on around 70-80% of your 1 repetition maximum, this is known as power based training so it will make you tone, put that bit more weight on you but without the bulk of very big weights, in regards to diet, take whey protein after your workout, this will help your muscles recover faster. Everytime you work out your muscles will get tears and damage, the repair of these muscles is what makes them stronger/more powerful, in terms of food, plenty of food with protein so steak, chicken, potato, green vegetables are all high in protein, however do not abandon your carbohydrates or fats your body needs these for energy, without these you will not be able to work out and will lose the muscle you have gained. In respect to your heart condition, is it hypertension? if this was the case then doing low weights will not be a problem, you still go shopping and lift bags dont you! that is basically resistance training, as long as you do not lift very heavy loads you will be fine, i would be more concerned with the cardio if its a heart condition like missing pulpertations, have you had and ECG (electro-cardiogram)? or is your heart condition a underlying hereditory condition which you do find in a lot of professional athletes for example marc vivian foe, i hope this helps
 aboutgettingby
Msg: 19
I NEED ADVICE
Posted: 8/17/2011 12:56:12 PM
If your health club has hand bikes that may be the best excersise out their. I had an aquaitance that worked with some professional athletes that developed killer workouts on the hand bikes. It basically did what amounts to running speed work on the hand bike. High intensity intervals with breaks at low resistance levels. It will develop upper body strength but with full muscle motion range, weights and machines cannot come close.

Before attempting this type of thing talk to your doctor. Not sure what your condition is but it is very high intensity, similiar but more stressfull than doing quarter mile runs as fast as you can.
 _Warren_
Msg: 20
I NEED ADVICE
Posted: 8/18/2011 2:40:11 PM
Ask your doctor if you can still do bodyweight exercises. I know you said that pushups/press ups are not advised but if you are able to do situps/lunges/pull ups/tricep dips/etc. then you will be able to at least KEEP the muscle mass that you already have (and depending on your bodytype perhaps gain a bit more as well). Also, make sure to eat all 8 essential amino acids (protein) every meal, and every meal has to be every 3 hours (as said amino acids cannot reside in your blood stream for longer than that). What I mean by the full amino acid profile (essential 8) is that you will need to eat either meat protein, soy (which I advise against as 98% of soy in the US is a GMO plus eating too much soy has other consequences as well), whey, or a mixture of legumes/rice/etc.

Whoever said yoga up there I absolutely agree with. You can get into some amazing feats of strength with yoga (planche into handstand perhaps? Scorpion? Dragonfly?) as well as improving flexibility and building your stabilizer muscles as well!
 Kevjohns
Msg: 21
I NEED ADVICE
Posted: 8/18/2011 3:01:39 PM
Its very difficult to believe you would have any condition that would prevent you from lifting weights and yet can do other kinds of exercises like running or jogging. If you actually have a heart condition, you should fully understand what that condition is and how bad the condition. If you have a condition which could result in sudden death, then I would think you would have to avoid intense exercise of all kinds, but not all exercise. It would also seem you should be under regular medical care, should be taking various medications, maybe beta blockers, etc to relieve whatever strain your heart might be under. Even there however, virtually everything I have read indicates that weight lifting is good for a person, so long as it is not overdone. So don't push yourself so that your blood pressure spikes, but slow, light repetitive motions would likely be fine.

That being said, I am not trying to play doctor, but understand that many doctors give advice without having any idea what they are talking about. For example, if you have ANY heart condition at your age, you should have had at the least an echochardiogram-stress test to determine the size of your heart, the condition of its valves, how it does under stress, etc. Maybe a Nuclear stress test is in order. But it is ludicrous for a doctor to tell you not to lift weights unless you AND HE understand what your condition is and why lifting might make it worse. Besides that, most doctors will tell people to exercise to their limits, but to not over do it until they gradually get in shape. At any rate, nobody can give you valid advice until you are far more explicit about what ails you. Good luck.
Show ALL Forums  > Health Wellness  > I NEED ADVICE