Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Over 45  > 45+....Let's make our dreams a reality!      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 SunnyBlueSkies23
Msg: 1
45+....Let's make our dreams a reality!Page 1 of 2    (1, 2)
I've heard it said over & over...."I'm too old to follow my dreams!" Okay.......but WHO said?? WHO died and made that person the King or Queen of telling us to give up on our dreams.....in essence,on ourselves by a "certain" age?? I DON"T buy that theory........weather you're one,or one hundred and one,it's OKAY to live out your dreams....it's a GOOD thing! What have you always dreamed of doing? Writing a best-selling novel? Producing a movie? GO FOR IT!!! Even if it's something more along the lines of, say.......changing careers in mid-life.....you OWE it to yourself to at least make an effort! I've always been told,for example,I should be a clown because I'm good at making little children laugh (it's one of my passions, along with taking care of children,which I love ). Anybody know of a good clown college I could apply at?? One of my personal mottos is,"Never regret ANYTHING that made you smile," and THAT is a BIG one for me! The point is,follow your passions.....reach for the sunny blue skies of your potential!Kick that condesending voice that keeps bringing up age to the curb! Remember,it's hard to soar with Eagles if you're scratching in the dirt with turkeys!

Please try to format your posts so that what you post is readable. Thank you.
 U make it entertaining
Msg: 2
45+....Let's make our dreams a reality!
Posted: 8/20/2011 4:01:49 PM
No question ... eh?

Well I'll play along.

I see the young ones today struggling to figure out what they want to do with their lives.
I never new what I wanted to do with mine until I obtained the age of 45.
I then went back to school and started my own business in Web Design and Graphic Arts.
It was scary, as I was leaving an 18 year carer at a major financial institution (as a techie).
However, banks don't allow a creative side ...
So I stepped outside of my comfort zone and here I am today.

Doing what I love to do.

My motto is ..

It's not rocket science.
 U make it entertaining
Msg: 3
Posted: 8/20/2011 4:43:18 PM
^^^^

Right on JDReal29!

Enjoy your new life.
Soon us Canadians will have you talking and acting like us!
 DrummingNut
Msg: 4
Posted: 8/21/2011 6:43:54 AM
I always dreamed of living near the ocean... and I did it this year. Moved to Myrtle Beach, SC.
THRILLED with my move.
I saw the age 60 looming and I thought "gee, are you gonna wait for 70? DO IT".
I knew no one down here. I live in a wheelchair, (accident when 50).
Off I went... alone.. to start yet another new chapter.
It's GREAT!!
 vortex33
Msg: 5
view profile
History
Posted: 8/21/2011 9:06:50 AM
a longing for something, is a Dream Sacraficed for security!
 Stray__Cat
Msg: 7
Posted: 8/24/2011 3:42:15 PM
I'm living it.

but I was poor and homeless when young.
so having kids grown, a small apt with money left over,
and an extremely cute girl to spend weekends with....
is as much of a dream as I could ever have hoped for.

I'll save the big dreams to big dreamers.
My small ones are much more doable.
:-P
 nfbis1961
Msg: 8
Posted: 8/28/2011 5:57:55 PM
Way to go lady keep on
 Molly Maude
Msg: 9
view profile
History
Posted: 8/31/2011 12:33:43 PM
right now, I have three granddaughters, just out of high school, confused about which career path to take ... one told me she CAN'T DECIDE on something to do for the rest of her life! I laughed and said, "then go to college and FIND something to do for a WHILE ... and change your mind later!"

when I got out of high school, I had no idea what I wanted to do ... went to college and, after student teaching, decided I DIDN'T want to be a high school English teacher (got NO respect ... the students were horrid) ... bungled my way thru life working in banking, government and the legal field as support staff ... these jobs were ok but there was no passion in it for me ...

then I fell into a middle management position in the medical profession ... LOVED IT! loved the drama ... loved helping other people ... loved the intrigue ... loved working with highly intelligent people! I was excited to go to work every day ... wondering what the next day would bring ... took more classes to move that career along ...

when that one came to a slow death after 15 years of fun ... (HMOs, inadequate reimbursements, hospitals folding, closing doors) ... I got out of medical middle management, went back to school and re-invented myself AGAIN ... this time, with no passion but just to pay the bills and survive ... in a counseling profession that I didn't particularly believe in but was good at ... eventually after 11 years, that job dried up, too ... so I guess I'm retired ...

maybe it's time to re-invent myself again ... I, too, have always wanted to live near the ocean ... lived in Santa Cruz, California most of my childhood, going to sleep with the sound of crashing waves, the salty scent of the sea, mixed with pine and eucalyptus, damp, cool air ... seagulls crying in the distance ...

am going to check out Seattle next week ... maybe I'll fall into another life I can love ...

omia63
Msg: 10
Posted: 1/4/2012 3:26:12 PM
hi
been alone for awhile,, cant seem to shake off this loneliness feeling ..... any advice ????
 kfoyebrad
Msg: 11
Posted: 1/4/2012 8:21:10 PM
I love your post molly and everyone on here. This is a great area of POF. I am over 50 and have been a nurse for 30+ years. I left medicine and went into sales for awhile just to change things up. I did not do well in a male dominated profession but i learned and grew as a person. no support from my husband who is currently an EX! He never understood me wanting to grow and change. Back in nursing now.Did the management thing years ago. It was ok but thankless. Now that i am free i am trying to figure out whats next for me. What tools did you use? I have a blank slate life right now and it is both exhilarating and scary as hell!
Thank you for your inspiring thread.
I would love it if i could fall madly in love with a man who wanted to do some philanthropic ventures with me or have a non profit foundation benefiting a great cause. i just can't see my self doing that alone. Any thought s anyone?
Happy New Year!!
 LovToSail
Msg: 12
view profile
History
Posted: 1/5/2012 5:30:29 PM
I left a 25 yr marriage, a 28 yr job, "retired" for a year, then took a staff level job (much less pay, less hours to work), and do a lot of volunteer work with health-related issues. Best thing I've ever done. Pretty scary to make a lot of changes in your life in a short time, but very exhiliarating too. I got into exercising regularly and look and feel better than I've felt in years. And I've found that chasing men/being chased around is fun again too...just trying to find the "one", instead of many.

Life is for the living...enjoy it while you can!
 captainsam
Msg: 13
view profile
History
Posted: 1/6/2012 5:16:15 AM
I left a 31 y ear "marriage"......wrote about my life of overcoming and won a scholarship, and am a freshman......social work/counseling; will have to live to be 100 to get my Master's.

Happy New Year!
 AintNoDeal
Msg: 14
Posted: 1/6/2012 7:35:08 PM
I left my govt. job 14 years ago and moved to Phoenix to start over. After a year of hell, I went to school for design and got started in a new career. Over the years I did almost everything I had hoped to do = a house, new cars, travel across the country and around the world, lots of sunshine and new experiences...I was living the life!

Then I was fired at the start of last summer, and everything is slipping away. My bank accounts drained, debt skyrocketing, could lose the home, health turned for the worse, govt. assistance denied, car destroyed by a red-light-runner. Holy crap!

I keep telling myself - "This is only transitional..." ...but what am I transitioning TO...? I wasn't looking to change my lifestyle, but now I've got no choice. On the good side, I had free time to go back to school and learn some new stuff -- hasn't paid off yet, but I did it, and that was great!

Yes, the boat is still afloat, but it's only a few feet from the waterfall...this is the biggest cliff-hanger I've experienced in my life -- can't say it's not interesting!

Yikes! I'm dreaming as hard as I can!
 Gwendolyn2010
Msg: 15
Posted: 1/7/2012 6:12:52 AM
At 43, I began a diet and lost 100 pounds over two years.

At 45, I left a void 25 year marriage to move halfway across the continent to live with a man the same age as my sons.

I went back to school at 48 to get an MA: a professor told me that I was too old to be in school. I graduated at 51 with a GPA of 4.00 and a dual Master's in British Lit and Creative Writing. I decided not to get a PhD because of the cost, but I don't regret that.

I have learned that the future is unknown, but we have to make opportunities and we have to act on them once they are presented. I don't know what the future holds, but I curious to find out.
Msg: 16
Posted: 1/8/2012 9:56:12 PM
My life went to hell last year and it don't look like it's going to get better anytime soon. No dreams for me just nightmares.
 zippytwo
Msg: 17
Posted: 1/8/2012 10:14:39 PM
If you have the money to sustain you while chasing your dream that's great....if you don't, the dream has to wait. And for most people without the financial means to chase that dream, it's a no-go.
 trinity818
Msg: 18
Posted: 1/10/2012 3:17:50 PM

I have learned that the future is unknown, but we have to make opportunities and we have to act on them once they are presented. I don't know what the future holds, but I curious to find out.

Thanks, Gwendolyn. I was inspired by your post. And I really needed that right now.
 FloridaLady46
Msg: 19
Posted: 1/12/2012 1:51:35 PM
Life just keeps getting better! In the last 7 years I left an unhappy marriage, went back to school and graduated, changed careers, lost 80 pounds, quit smoking, and the kids are grown. I've never been happier!
 mudd53
Msg: 20
Posted: 1/13/2012 8:27:26 AM
I can still hear my dad's voice telling me "Show me a man of little need/wants and I'll show you a happy man."

I am just starting to allow myself to start thinking about dreams.

I guess it's a work in progress so I am moving ahead slower, trying to avoid the big painful mistakes since my retention of the lessons learned making the ones I did in my past haven't
been all that helpful...lol

I will hopefully come to the place I can follow some of Davy Crocketts' advice. "Be always sure you are right - then go ahead." and "Let your tongue speak what your heart thinks."

God bless, Mudd
 Michelangelo1976
Msg: 21
Posted: 1/27/2012 9:00:19 AM
This post is depressing. Here I am, 35, accomplished everything I've wanted to do in life.....got a degree, accomplished minsicule fame as a wrestler on the local circuit, lived inside of another culture, and the one thing i havent done is settle down and have a family. It's the holy grail. It consumes me. It eats my white bass alive. And lookin around at the women my age and the dream chasers they are, I had decided to wait until i was in my 40s to marry again, but now I read this post and all you 40ish honkies are dream chasing too. Where has your effort been for the last 20 years? Why have those dreams not been accomplished and when are you going to be content to live a mortal life? Did you ever notice the people that accomplished the biggest dreams, ie, celebs, just wanna live the life that the commonfolk have?
 whitebirch
Msg: 22
Posted: 1/27/2012 3:51:41 PM

And for most people without the financial means to chase that dream, it's a no-go.

sad but true...very true.

it takes a lot of money to follow one's dreams. when you're older, it's not like you can just put on a backpack & hitchhike across the u.s. (or europe for that matter). most have too many belongings.

also, people by then have gone thru a great number of situations in their lifetimes that made them realize that not everything is possible. (i do understand that everyone's life is different, but i'm just talking about in general here)

did you ever see the movie called "49 up" (or others related to that)? the british one where they followed a group of kids from the age of 7 - kept checking in every 7 years to see how their lives & attitudes have changed. boy, what a difference a few years makes. reality sets in, & everything doesn't seem quite as possible as it once did.

if you're interested, you can view part of one of the films (as it was updated throughout the years) here: http://youtu.be/BJj-fc6h0fo (or just by googling).
Show ALL Forums  > Over 45  > 45+....Let's make our dreams a reality!