Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Off Topic  > Racist Remark - How would you respond? [CLOSED for Review]      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 vibrantshe
Msg: 1
Racist Remark - How would you respond? [CLOSED for Review]Page 1 of 7    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7)
I received an IM today from a man that I responded to. We IM each other making conversation and then he made a very racist remark. I was so taken back that I just logged off. Should I have called him out? What would you have done?
 HalftimeDad
Msg: 2
Racist Remark - How would you respond?
Posted: 8/27/2011 8:06:53 PM
Yeah, you should have called him on it. But logging out immediately sends the same message.
 Melannie1
Msg: 3
Posted: 8/27/2011 8:59:01 PM
Hi vibrantshe! Yes, you needed to 'call him out'.. Melannie1
 vibrantshe
Msg: 4
Posted: 8/27/2011 9:02:40 PM
I didn’t say I wasn’t getting contacted. I said I wasn’t getting contacted by anyone who lives in my city and mostly out of state. However, if this is what I’m going to get in my area, I better learn to love the “long distance relationship”. LOL
 Revilors
Msg: 5
Posted: 8/27/2011 9:04:27 PM

What would you have done?

I'd make my disapproval know...as you did. Depending on my mood and who is present...that could range from "calling them out" to walking away. In any case...I know they will not leave a changed person and I've wasted some time.
 vibrantshe
Msg: 6
Posted: 8/27/2011 9:09:21 PM
It wasn’t my intent at the time to show my disapproval. I was just so shocked I didn’t know how to respond, so I really just ran away by logging off.
 FrankNStein902
Msg: 7
Posted: 8/27/2011 9:28:33 PM
I received an IM today from a man that I responded to. We IM each other making conversation and then he made a very racist remark. I was so taken back that I just logged off. Should I have called him out?

It would not solve anything or change his opinion so I would say no, unless you enjoy creating drama.

Same as what you did, took the high road and walked away.
 Island home
Msg: 8
Posted: 8/27/2011 10:30:50 PM

We IM each other making conversation and then he made a very racist remark. I was so taken back that I just logged off. Should I have called him out? What would you have done?

You should have changed his mind and have him become a loving tolerant human being!
But as our success capability of changing other peoples minds is not high at this point in time.
I would say you acted perfectly.

If he didn't get the message.
Any further contact you could let him know you found it shocking an unacceptable, he can do what ever he chooses with that information.

I've been known to respond in a similar manner
 daynadaze
Msg: 9
view profile
History
Posted: 8/28/2011 12:19:14 AM
I would have blocked him immediately
 Bladesmith81801
Msg: 10
Posted: 8/28/2011 1:49:56 AM
Totally call him on it. The only way to continue to nix this behavior is to bring attention to it.
 BigBadNIrish
Msg: 11
Posted: 8/28/2011 4:36:32 AM
I find calling people out on rasism, bigotry, and hyprocrisy to be futile...they haven't a clue...
 IgorFrankensteen
Msg: 12
view profile
History
Posted: 8/28/2011 10:44:47 AM
Some one in our age range who acts like a jerk, isn't going to improve by being lectured to.

He's limiting his life by his decision to believe as he does. Unless he's a politician or other influential person, who is hiding their true hatefulness from the people supporting them, and thus are endangering others, you have no reason to lose any more of your time dealing with them than you already have.
 pinkoleander
Msg: 13
Posted: 8/28/2011 12:56:58 PM
Vibrant - At least now you're getting some action on POF.
Before you were complaining that nobody contacted you.

Ah, my pain meds are wearing off. Sighs, you're funny and accurate. What does the nature of the comment matter that you need to post about it on here. You're a middle aged woman and you couldn't figure this out. Stupid people say stupid things and stupid people get negative attention by rehashing them on forums thereby upsetting sensitive people. Happy with yourself now?
 justagrlwithacat
Msg: 14
Posted: 8/28/2011 1:41:01 PM
I think if that happened to me, I'd say something like wow that was totally uncalled for and not cool, I don't feel comfortable continuing talking to you, best of luck on POF.
 Halcyon_Skies
Msg: 15
Posted: 8/28/2011 2:57:42 PM
It really would depend on what he said. Did he express that he felt certain races were inferior to his own, or did he express that he only dated members of his own race? Some people feel both attitudes are racist, while others distinguish between the two.
 Meat_Sack
Msg: 16
Posted: 8/28/2011 5:18:04 PM

We IM each other making conversation and then he made a very racist remark. I was so taken back that I just logged off. Should I have called him out?

Depends on the remark, IMO. Some people see racism in everything.
And it depends on what you mean by "calling him out."

The way you handled it he might not know you took offense or whatever, so will still keep trying to contact you.
Whereas if you "called him out" and typed like"I really don't appreciate racist remarks, please don't contact me again," or, "that remark was a little too far for me, we are not compatible, best of luck in your search," then he might not bother you in the future.

Just logging off could mean you had a power surge or someone at the door or something just came up. He might not even realize what he was saying was racist so thinks you ran off because you were talking to another guy, and therefore will try harder to "win" you.

Depends on the remark. I wouldn't have just run away though. I might have had some fun with it for my own entertainment.
 Jazzzy
Msg: 17
Posted: 8/28/2011 5:30:04 PM
who is hiding their true hatefulness from the people supporting them

Igor, love the nic btw, I am guessing you are not a party hack...your political affiliation appears unbiased...I like that.

Politics seems to work best when you keep politics out of it.
 vibrantshe
Msg: 18
Posted: 8/28/2011 8:58:00 PM
I’ve been around the block enough times to know a racist remark when I hear one. There was no mistake. I’m not worried about this guy trying to contact me again. But if he does, I’m so totally going to blast him. Maybe that doesn’t make me a good person but I bet it will feel great. :)

By the way Pinkoleander, It was my understanding that this is precisely what the boards are for - to vent and exam. In another post I wrote that I seem to only get contacted by Out-of- Towner’s; not that I don’t get any contacts at all. And I wanted to know if anyone else was having that experience.
 jojoaus
Msg: 19
view profile
History
Posted: 8/29/2011 4:43:10 AM
I cannot let racism go un-remarked upon . I would have said that I found his attitude offensive, told him why (remembering that it is JMO), and then removed myself from the conversation and blocked him. No fanfare or on going argument. I just cannot let what I consider ignorant and narrow minded opinion go without responding. I DO get that it is just my opinion Vs theirs. Racism... just.. ughhhhhhhhhh
 Spider_Woman
Msg: 20
Posted: 8/29/2011 5:15:01 AM
Between the two extremes of logging off v calling him out, you could stay in neutral and tell him you didn't like it.

Online is an excellent medium for practicing communication because of the luxury of time to think before responding (even in IM).

If it was a remark against your own race -- he knows what he did.
If against another race -- he still knows what he did. Coming out with that stuff is a way for racists to find each other.
 trinity818
Msg: 21
view profile
History
Posted: 8/29/2011 3:08:09 PM
I try not to waste my time or energy on idiots. I would have done what you did. End the discussion and move on.
 Earthpuppy
Msg: 22
view profile
History
Posted: 8/30/2011 6:16:17 AM
I have relatives and work mates with rascist inclinations. (I don't keep racsists around within my friends circle.) By not calling them out on it, it only encourages them. They need to be told how offensive it is, with all DUE respect. After an admonishment or two, they've all learned to keep it to themselves around me. The more people that do that, eventually they might learn that racism just isn't as fun as it once was.

I agree, that with many of them they probably use it as the code to find one another so they can relax in their hatefest. Sounds like they do it in the online dating world as well.
 Cdn_Iceman
Msg: 23
Posted: 8/30/2011 8:13:52 AM
Personally I told him what I thought of his racist comments( nothing wrong with standing up to your beliefs) and then said Later bud.

You cant argue with idiots, a good friend once told me you cant bring a intelligent conversation to a moron convention.
 RichenLosAngeles
Msg: 24
Posted: 8/31/2011 12:22:41 AM
Why is one type of bad behavior different than another?
If a guy insulted your body, or your family, or your religion, would you be any less offended?
 SteelCity1981
Msg: 25
view profile
History
Posted: 8/31/2011 2:04:23 AM
You can't change people, the only way a person can change their train of thought is for them to see it for themselves. Sure blasting him might make you feel great, but at the same time that will give him more of a reason to be a racist. Educating someone by getting to the root cause of their own problem with something and showing them a diff side will help see their problem for themselves and may help them change their mind on that issue.
Show ALL Forums  > Off Topic  > Racist Remark - How would you respond? [CLOSED for Review]