Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Off Topic  > Gettng respected for what we do.......,2 much 2 ask?? : \      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 SunnyBlueSkies23
Msg: 1
Gettng respected for what we do.......,2 much 2 ask?? : \Page 1 of 1    
Why do Americans value their teachers ( Early Childcare through Elementary,at least) so much LESS than other countries? I 've worked with Infants and young children ALL my working life,I LOVE what I do, and,honestly, I wouldn't trade it for ANYTHING! Through my current employment I've been blessed to meet and get to know children from Russia,Japan,& Korea...........all of them,but especially the Asian families,REALLY appreciated, respected,and valued us as Teachers for their little ones,and took the time to let us know. When the two Japanese children as well as a little boy from Korea started, I wasn't sure how much English they knew,or understood. I taught them a couple of signs in American Sign Language to help them to start communicating;one of which was "I love you".....from the beginning,to their last days,even after they spoke reallly good Engllish,they'd see me and sign it...it was sweet! It gave me a good feeling to know I'd made a difference! But here.....I don't feel as valued. HERE,"Childcare Teacher" gets traslated to"Daycare worker",and I hear comments like,"Gee,it must be fun to sit around all day just playing with the kids! I wish I could do THAT"Like I said,I LOVE what I do and wouldn't trade it even for a day.......but,PLEASE give us credit when credit is due!! I've had parents tell me," I didn't know she could count to 10!" and"Wow! He knows all his colors!" A simple "Thank you" will do. Whenever I can,there's nothing I like better than kicking back and playing with the kids.......MOST of the time,I can't. : ( So,I try to have fun with them with the teaching activities we do. I'd like to hear from others.......... do you feel undervalued as a Teacher?
 Doremi_Fasolatido
Msg: 2
view profile
History
Gettng respected for what we do.......,2 much 2 ask?? : \
Posted: 8/28/2011 5:22:36 PM
I have told teachers that I value them.And I appreciate them too. I remember my 3rd. grade teacher Mrs. Davis. I had a hard time with math and she took the time to lead me through what I had a hard time with. I told her thanks and I still remember her smile.

I remember Mr Kovacs in the 6th. grade too. That man would go out of his way to help us kids. When we had after school projects he was there to help us and watch over us. I never thanked him but I remember he always had a ready smile for us all. I could tell he was a happy man.

I bet it is nice to have parents thank you Blue. Knowing that you're helping kids learn and that maybe they'll remember your efforts may help you .
 IgorFrankensteen
Msg: 3
view profile
History
Posted: 8/28/2011 8:03:43 PM
I've noticed several things that would tend to contribute to your feeling under appreciated:

There's the fact that this country contains LOTS of very egotistical people, who are primarily focused on showing their OWN worth, by pursuing financial gain only, and they talk A LOT about any one who DOESN'T follow their path, as being defective. One of their favorite sayings is "Those who can't DO, TEACH."
They are lunkheads, but they are LOUD lunk heads, and they DO tend to have more money than you do.

Then there is the current unfortunate prejudicial attitude that one of our major political parties has, which is that it believes that almost all teachers are members of the OTHER political party, and therefore they treat you like traitorous scum, who require NOT the lure of high pay to do better (that's reserved for the SALES staff, and upper management), but the threat of disciplinary punishment, in order to do a better job. Don't feel bad, they think EVERYONE who works for a living should be treated that way.

I sympathize, but I don't think they will change either of those bad habits just because it annoys you.
 jojoaus
Msg: 4
view profile
History
Posted: 8/29/2011 4:53:00 AM
OP.. it isn't just in the US. Here in Aus, Early Childhood teachers get a minimum of 25% less than elementary/primary teachers. I am an ECT so I know. Several years ago in Italy, ECT's got less than elementary who got less than middle school who got less that high school etc etc. It has to do with the concept that pre school age children simply need wrangling, not educating. Bullcrap yeah, but still it is assumed. I do think it is possible that families in Asia have a respect for age too, so anyone who has matured enough to go to uni and get a degree, has cumulative experience which is culturally admired. I also think that the usual salary for ECT's means that we simply never rise high enough up the income ladder to be considered 'successful' financially.
JMO of course
 femaleconnection
Msg: 5
Posted: 8/29/2011 11:07:15 AM
Teachers in general dont get the level of respect they deserve. They are with our children upwards 8 hours per day and they leave a huge impact on every student, yet we as a society do not appreciate them.

However....respect is lacking all over the place, so dont take it personally.
 Molly Maude
Msg: 6
view profile
History
Posted: 8/29/2011 1:23:57 PM
I don't KNOW, of course ... maybe since you're doing Early Childhood ... maybe the parents are jealous because they have to have jobs that take them away from their children for the first time ... and you GET TO BE WITH the children ... they want to be with?

I remember when I was forced to be a working mother ... to get a job and leave my 10-month-old son with a babysitter ... he learned to walk the first week he was at her house ... he ran to HER with his boo-boos ... it HURT ... it really HURT ... and SHE got to teach him things that, when I got home from work, I was too tired to teach him ... I was furious that I had to be away from my baby and she got to be with him ... I'd never been a working mom with a baby before and I hated not being with him ...

I'm sure she wondered why I wasn't more grateful to her ... I was grateful ... my gratitude just had a very thick overlay of anger at having to work and jealousy that she got to spend more quality time with my baby than I did ... it had absolutely NOTHING to do with the person caring for my son ... it had EVERYTHING to do with me wanting to care for my son myself ...
 DoubleParked
Msg: 7
Posted: 8/29/2011 4:10:18 PM
If you love what you do and are valued by the little ones in your charge, why are you feeling undervalued?
You know what you are doing is important, so be proud.
I worked at a public library for several years and people would say, 'Oh, that's so nice you can READ all day.' Similar to your 'Oh gosh , you get to play with kids all day'. They have no clue what either job entails.

I think most people don't really know what other people's jobs are about unless they have actually DONE THEM. So don't expect to get praise or credit for doing the job you applied for. That's what paychecks are for, doing the job you were hired for. Just because you work with kids does not really make you more special than the rest of us.

Lots of working people feel they don't get the respect they deserve. Respect yourself and don't do the 'entitlement thing'. It doesn't fly when they rehire for the next school year.
 SunnyBlueSkies23
Msg: 8
Posted: 8/29/2011 5:24:17 PM
I was reading through what people wrote,and while I whole-heartedly agree with the majority,I just want to clarify a few points.....First of all , I DON"T think I 'm ''more special" than anyone else is because I work with kids. We all have our own strengths and weaknesses,,,,,,,,in fact,I appaude everyone for their strengths,and finding a job they enjoy. I also NEVER intended to make anybody think I feel I'm"entitled" to positive feedback..It just validates ME........tells me that what I do is a GOOD thing. I think that's something EVERBODY,no matter WHAT they do,likes to be.....to FEEL appreciated! Doesn't EVERYBODY like to hear positive things about themselves......so they WANT to work harder?? I believe in my heart of hearts,WHAT I DO MATTERS........every smile,hug,"I love you" and giggle validates THAT a million times over!. And,as one poster pointed out,maybe the parents feel BAD they have to work......they'd like to be the ones spending so much quality time with their children. I'd love for them to be able to have that luxery,too. I really DO wish they could!!. Any center I've EVER worked at (including my current one!!) has had an "open door' policy.......parents welcome,anytime! I enccourage parents to "pop" in! I think it's great! I guess my entire point was,a simple "Thank you" now and again feels pretty darn good.......it lets you know you ARE appreciated! So, I guess,from now on,if I WANT validation,it'll have to come from me.....and the KIDS!!
 Lint Spotter
Msg: 9
view profile
History
Posted: 8/29/2011 5:41:50 PM
I don't really understand this thread. I would guesstimate that less than 50% of people get thanked for doing their job... most understand that retaining the position and getting your weekly or bi-weekly paycheque is your reward for working.

Having said that, I'm a firm believer in praise for going above and beyond... do you do that? Do you put extra time and care into your work beyond what you are paid to do or required? Do you give a personal touch to your tasks and activities... I mean significantly more than the person next to you in the same role?

I bend over backwards at my job to do extras and make people feel special and unique. I don't expect a thank you or special recognition because of this... I do it because I genuinely care about the people I work with and I love my job. If I felt underappreciated, I think I'd start looking for another job...
Show ALL Forums  > Off Topic  > Gettng respected for what we do.......,2 much 2 ask?? : \