Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Off Topic  > Relationships & Texting      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 3xsacharmsotheysay
Msg: 1
Relationships & TextingPage 1 of 3    (1, 2, 3)
After reading many of these forums, one thing is for sure.... Texting seems to be a real problem... So many issues seem to stem from a misinterpreted message. What happened to picking up the phone, making a call and having a real conversation? Too many things are left to read between the lines. No wonder everyone is confused, hurt or just clueless as to what happened. Anyone have any thoughts on this or am I the only one stuck in the "Talking on the phone" stone age????
 TerrieLynnC
Msg: 2
Relationships & Texting
Posted: 8/30/2011 10:02:07 AM
I would be inclined to agree. People don't want to COMMUNICATE verbally anymore.
 commonsens_reloaded
Msg: 3
Relationships & Texting
Posted: 8/30/2011 10:07:31 AM
what should I then say, since am stuck into the primordial soup era of talking face to face.

Phones or cells are not better than texting when it comes to having a real conversation. Nothing beats direct contact.
 3xsacharmsotheysay
Msg: 4
Relationships & Texting
Posted: 8/30/2011 10:10:56 AM
Texting has become a real problem. I honestly wonder how many relationships have gone south because of a misunderstanding via a text!!!
 blackchic
Msg: 5
Relationships & Texting
Posted: 8/30/2011 10:17:38 AM
IMO texting is another form of communication. If you feel like your misunderstanding a comment, get clarification. It can be as easy or as hard as you make it. Its not different from these forums....What I'm saying may not come across like you interpret it. But, honestly, its not that difficult.....(texting & relationships) BTW: if there is something you feel you need to say via voice, then just call....
 _TALL_IQ2_
Msg: 6
Relationships & Texting
Posted: 8/30/2011 10:18:51 AM

I honestly wonder how many relationships have gone south because of a misunderstanding via a text!!!

Soo... - - - Don't text! - Problem solved.. Next?
 U make it entertaining
Msg: 7
Relationships & Texting
Posted: 8/30/2011 10:19:04 AM

I honestly wonder how many relationships have gone south because of a misunderstanding via a text!!!

I'm sure many.

However it is the way of the future.
Everyone has to be connected 7/24.

I say blow them all up!

\/\/\/
OMG Scottey ...

This text speak crap must drive your right around a bend!
 scottey63
Msg: 8
view profile
History
Relationships & Texting
Posted: 8/30/2011 10:38:00 AM
Amen. If refusing to text puts me in the stone age, so be it. Texting has led to miscommunication, not to mention the proliferation of "textspeak", most of which is gibberish to me.

I neither need nor want to be connected 24/7. When I am working or busy doing something else, the last thing I want is a phone buzzing with constant inane messages, written in what barely passes for English.
 Red Fish GF
Msg: 9
view profile
History
Relationships & Texting
Posted: 8/30/2011 10:44:54 AM
scottey63
If refusing to text puts me in the stone age, so be it. Texting has led to miscommunication, not to mention the proliferation of "textspeak", most of which is gibberish to me.

My SO and I only text when it's the only way to communicate such as when he is traveling to other countries and there is a big time difference. I HATE texting, it takes me forever to type out a sentence. We also found out earlier in our relationship there can be too many misunderstandings when emailing. Now if we have something important to discuss we wait until it can be done in person or at the very least on the phone. But face to face is better.
 kory888
Msg: 10
Relationships & Texting
Posted: 8/30/2011 10:56:14 AM
IKR...yep sofs ....LMAO ROLF about this !!
 Jaimes004
Msg: 11
Relationships & Texting
Posted: 8/30/2011 10:58:43 AM
I personally use texting for the little things, like sending a quick note saying "thinking of you" or something of that nature that needs no reply, just to let my partner know I care. That does not warrant a phone call, nor should it be done more than once a day, IMO. Or, I will send an informative text to someone so its not forgotten and can be written down later; like an appointment, an address or contact info, shopping list, etc. Anything of a personal nature should NOT be done via text to eliminate misunderstandings. It's too easy to take something out of context.

Texting IS beneficial, but I agree that it is usually not beneficial in relationships.
 *army mom*
Msg: 12
Relationships & Texting
Posted: 8/30/2011 11:09:11 AM
I feel your pain, OP. I have even started telling men I do not have text messaging on my phone and they disappear. Actually talking on the phone seems to equate that you're in some sort of relationship with that person ... text message is very impersonal so you're off the hook, so to speak.

I was communicating via email with a man recently who asked me out to dinner. I agreed, but told him I wanted to speak to him on the phone first ... never heard from him again ...
 _shakti_
Msg: 13
Relationships & Texting
Posted: 8/30/2011 11:11:06 AM
People often hide behind texting, they feel brave enough to say things that they couldn't on the phone or in person. Plus, they are able to keep to a certain emotional distance and thus keep up the illusion of control. Pathetic really.

That said, I kinda like texting sometimes. You can keep up a running conversation and put it down whenever you need to. I keep in contact with my daughters throughout the day a lot this way. I see it as an extra, not the main source of communication.

Some people are just plain annoying to talk to while texting, I may be a bit of a texting snob though. I only like chatting with certain people via that means.
 BoonDockSaint73
Msg: 14
Relationships & Texting
Posted: 8/30/2011 11:17:29 AM
when I am in a relationship with a girl....

trying to maybe GET in a relationship with a girl...ie (her pants)

I try to text as little as possible.

guys listen up : women LOVE the sound of a man's voice, especially when he KNOWS how to talk to her...sometimes you can get further with a woman merely by the SOUND of your voice the WAY you speak with her...

nothing magical about what you are saying to her....but how you sound that drives many women wild...

that being said - texting is soo impersonal...

its good for quick little notes where you can NOT actually pick up the phone or hte person cannot actually TAKE a call for whatever reason...
 4ms4me
Msg: 15
view profile
History
Relationships & Texting
Posted: 8/30/2011 1:23:43 PM
Texting has become a real problem. I honestly wonder how many relationships have gone south because of a misunderstanding via a text!!!

Whereas relationships have never gone south due to a verbal misunderstanding.

Texting is another form of communication, same as writing a letter or making a phone call. Or even smoke signals. The sender needs to be clear about what they intend to communicate, the receiver needs to be aware of their own possible filters when receiving a message. Both should be prepared to clarify what was intended before taking offense and 'reacting'. This applies regardless of communication medium. IMO, etc.

but how you sound that drives many women wild...

Some people have voices that should be encouraged to silence, too.

But I agree with you that the right voice saying the right things can be pretty extra-special, and I suspect that many men enjoy the sound of a woman's voice more than then little squiggles on a screen. Else chat-line ads wouldn't proliferate on late-night television.
 motown cowgirl
Msg: 17
Relationships & Texting
Posted: 8/30/2011 1:36:27 PM
i don't have a problem with texting in principle. the medium is not the message, it's just another way to communicate.

however, in my experience human communication is fraught with perils and prone to misunderstanding even if it's face-to-face. that's more about the words we choose and less about how we decided to send them. i have arguments w/ my boss all the time about conversations we never even had, heh heh. "YOU said..." "no i DIDN'T..." it's a miracle we haven't killed each other.

i think texting is boring so it's not something i'm likely to participate in, although i can see where it can be very useful... "don't come home w/o a bag of dog food and a 6 pack of beer. tkx"

so i will leave the younger generation to their texting confusion. they will figure it out eventually, then grow old enough to start hectoring the next generation on their absurd abuses of technology.
 viki_1
Msg: 18
Relationships & Texting
Posted: 8/30/2011 1:40:59 PM
I agree, are we here to meet or just veg on the sofa having a cyber or text talk. I cant understand it when people put in there profile they want a relationship, but then dont want to meet face to face... most strange
 Ladydi6
Msg: 19
Relationships & Texting
Posted: 8/30/2011 1:49:28 PM
I personally like texting, a good morning beautiful text or thinking of you text, are a nice extra in a relationship. I live where cell service isn't the greatest so sometimes all you can do is text so I appreciate a guy who will text me.
 viki_1
Msg: 20
Relationships & Texting
Posted: 8/30/2011 1:57:36 PM
yes lady I also need/want that too, what i am trying to say is the guys that will email and text forever but NEVER want to meet face to face,

my last boyfriend text and showed public displayes of affection and i LOVED it!! but the relationship wasnt right,
and now i have met some one, and i long for him to text etc... but he doesnt.. ?? MEN!! tut
 SC67
Msg: 21
Relationships & Texting
Posted: 8/30/2011 1:58:25 PM
Texting is a great way to stay in touch a little bit through the day. I can't always/ever talk on the phone at work. But...I have met several guys who ONLY text. It's weird. I have a nice voice so why don't they wanna hear it??? Oddly enough, those are the same guys who are looking for a casual hook up. So...now it's just a red flag.
 AndyP15
Msg: 22
view profile
History
Relationships & Texting
Posted: 8/30/2011 1:59:16 PM

guys listen up : women LOVE the sound of a man's voice, especially when he KNOWS how to talk to her...sometimes you can get further with a woman merely by the SOUND of your voice the WAY you speak with her...

maybe if you sound like Barry White but what if your voice resembles Mickey Mouse?
 3xsacharmsotheysay
Msg: 23
Relationships & Texting
Posted: 8/30/2011 4:19:55 PM
Just one last thought.... I know this will come across as snarky... I love the quick how are you text, thinking of you, etc... but please do not ask a girl out via text.... I don't know about the rest of you gorgeous ladies but my reply will always be 'No REPLY"!!!
 BoonDockSaint73
Msg: 24
Relationships & Texting
Posted: 8/30/2011 4:24:34 PM

maybe if you sound like Barry White but what if your voice resembles Mickey Mouse?

well now...you should have a sexy voice that you can go from Mickey to Barry in about 3.5 seconds bro !!!

work on it !
 SweetofSerendipity
Msg: 25
Relationships & Texting
Posted: 8/30/2011 6:05:32 PM
My 16 year old son and I were just having this discussion. I asked him if dating becomes frustrating because of misinterpreted texts. He quickly stated 'yes, all the time'. It's just a common occurrence for everyone. I have a funny one that occurred not too long ago. I consider myself pretty level headed and communicate quite well. By the end of my text late one night with someone I had gone on one date with, there was a miscommunication and he called me a 'neurotic psychopath' and that ended our communication forever. lol I didn't have the energy to address it and I've learned to take it all with a grain of salt.

4REAL4YOU
Msg: 26
view profile
History
Relationships & Texting
Posted: 8/30/2011 6:28:39 PM
I agree with you about texting.
When you first start this you start texting first, than move on to an Instant Messenger service, phone calls come next and if all feels good by both of you - it's time to meet.
Face to face comunication is by far the best way to get to really know someone.
The problem is you can send out a lot of text messages on here and recieve very few responses back. It seems that a lot of people have profiles on here but they either don't read their messages very often, they are already in a relationship or they are just out there and have no idea of what they are looking for.
It can be frustrating but hang in there.
Take It Easy
Show ALL Forums  > Off Topic  > Relationships & Texting