Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Dating Experiences  > Waitressing and Customers off limits?      Home login  
 AUTHOR
Waitressing and Customers off limits?Page 1 of 3    (1, 2, 3)
So I am a waitress, last week one of my usual customers came in with there son(was his first time there). He was attractive , funny, and seemed to have a good personality from what I had gathered the small amount of time I had waited on them. Would it be inappropriate for me to ask if there son was single and tell them I might be interested?
 _TALL_IQ2_
Msg: 2
Waitressing and Customers off limits?
Posted: 9/20/2011 10:11:02 AM

Would it be inappropriate for me to ask if there son was single and tell them I might be interested?

When they come in again, flirt with the son more, sneak him your number..
He doesn't want his parents as go-betweens..
Posted: 9/20/2011 10:15:18 AM
Yeah that's the only issue they come in probably ever other week for the last few months and never have had him with them or that would defiantly be what I would do.
Posted: 9/20/2011 11:10:31 AM
^^^
I do and that's the main reason I ask. We joke around with each other and they always teasingly give me a hard time. And when they come I know what they want to drink and what they want to eat unless its a whacky day and they switch it up
 southmeetswest
Msg: 5
view profile
History
Posted: 9/20/2011 1:32:41 PM
my advice would match what newyorkbiker said
Posted: 9/20/2011 8:00:42 PM

The poor couple like eating at your restaurant. Now you want to make them uncomfortable by hitting on his son? Now if they rejects you they has to go find another favorite restaurant to go eat at. Either that or get more grey hair worrying about their burger getting wiped on the toilet bowl lid before they gets it. Not saying you will do something like that mind you, but I know a few waitresses and the last thing I would ever do is eat at their restaurants if they were pissed at me for some reason. The stories they tell make me scared to even look at a waitress the wrong way let alone hit on one.

You know what your right. I dont want to make them uncomfortable. I do not know anything about this guy, he may not be single, he may not even like girls(granted I did not get the vibe from him at all just saying). But I do disagree on the rest of it as a waitress I find if you flirt with them men and pay extra attention to what they may need the tips going to be a lot better, well as long as they are not with there wives or girlfriends.

I do find the post above to be a tad bit judgmental. Just because one is a waitress doesn't make them less of a person. I love my job. I love working with people in a social setting. You meet a lot of new people and hear a lot of crazy stories and experience a lot of wacky things. I would hope most parents would want for there child what makes them happy, and not judge on someones job.
Posted: 9/20/2011 8:35:15 PM
^^^
How about the casual...."Oh your sons not meeting you guys tonight? I saved him a piece of cheesecake" He had mentioned that he heard our cheesecake was awsome last time he was in.
 SiRCaSaNoVa
Msg: 8
Posted: 9/20/2011 9:42:21 PM
Why would it be inappropriate for you to ask if their son was single?... of course its not inappropriate. if your both single go for it.
Posted: 9/22/2011 9:11:54 AM

Someone previously said and they are right, that you SHOULD NOT USE THE PARENTS AS A GO BETWEEN!! What are you thinking about? If he is a grown man then approach him

And I understand this, I do think you missed that part where I said it was his first time in and his parents are regulars. One of points of me asking was if it would be inappropriate for me to ask them if there son was single, find out and hopefully they'd let there son than know that the waitress at the restaurant had asked about them and hopefully opening the door to coming back in and actually giving me a chance to flirt a little.
 lilmisssunshine547
Msg: 10
view profile
History
Posted: 9/22/2011 9:48:50 AM

This sounds rather desperate to me. I worked as a waitress when I was going to university. I did a lot of waitress work from the age of 17 to 24. I think it's a bad idea. Why aren't you meeting men without having to go to this length? At that age, there was never a shortage of men to meet in the normal course of things without having to manufacture a situation where you could "hopefully" get a "chance to flirt a little."

To put it out there I might be interested and letting the chips fall where the may is desperate? Im not asking where dude works, and his name on facebook so I can stalk him and hopefully get a chance to talk to him, I think thats more on the long of desperate. If I was desperate I would not be single. Trust me there is a shortage of good quality men in the area I live or else I wouldn't be on this site in the first place.
 concertlover3
Msg: 11
Posted: 9/22/2011 10:04:42 AM
i don't believe you should mix business with pleasure.

i owned an 8 bed tanning salon and world class gorgeous women came in all the time.

i never even flirted with them even as visions of unrequented LUST flickered through my brain.

sometimes they even pushed me into the restroom and wrapped their arms around me like we were slow dancing but i'm sure they were just looking for free tanning.

no, be business-like.
 Gwendolyn2010
Msg: 12
Posted: 9/22/2011 8:30:15 PM

I don't know the attitude these days, but in my waitressing days, I worked in a couple of clubs where we were strictly forbidden to fraternize with clients.

Members of my family work in the restaurant business and from what I hear, this is fairly standard. In fact, it is fairly standard in most businesses, especially corporations.
 Gwendolyn2010
Msg: 13
Posted: 9/24/2011 7:16:35 AM

The difference that it makes is that the owner and management have probably spend signifigant time, effort and money to attract a loyal customer base. The restaurant is not there to act as a resource for the employees to use to score dates. If things do not work out as planned or a relationship goes south, those are people that are probably not coming back.

Spot on!

Not to mention that when someone is working, that person should be working--not engaging in personal affairs. I have been in restaurants where the server was engaged in flirting with another diner (or even talking with friends) to the point of ignoring my table. Does not bode well for a good tip nor customer relationships.
 runningman40
Msg: 14
Posted: 9/24/2011 9:16:28 AM
I've been in and out of the restaurant business for years. Through trial and error, I've found it's the best policy not to get romantically involved with customers. If it worked out, you (and your employer) probably wouldn't want your boyfriend hanging out at your restaurant. If you dated for a while and it didn't work out, it would be awkward for him (and most likely his parents) to continue to patronize your business.

So, best case scenario, you lose a custormer. Worst case scenario--this was on an episode of the Larry David Show--the relationship goes horribly wrong and he continues to come in to eat with his parents as if nothing's wrong and you have to wait on your **** ex boyfriend.
Show ALL Forums  > Dating Experiences  > Waitressing and Customers off limits?