Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > UK forums  > Dog on cat attack      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 xxmistyxx
Msg: 3
view profile
History
Dog on cat attackPage 1 of 3    (1, 2, 3)

I wasn't there to wittness the attack but have been told that my cat was in it's garden and the dog spotted my cat and came charging out of the house to grab my cat by the throat and rag him about before tossing him in the air to grab him by the throat again and continue to rag him about.

Not sure what the police can do as it is a dog attacking a cat which has entered it's space ...it's garden..

Usually cats would scarper at the sight of a dog charging towards it..

hope the cat recovers fully...
 MikeWM
Msg: 5
view profile
History
Dog on cat attack
Posted: 9/25/2011 4:06:22 PM
I know this isnt going to be what you want to hear but why on earth would you try to claim the moral highground when your cat was in the dogs garden?

I find it annoying that although dogs nowadays are expected to be on a lead and collar when out in public cat owners seem to think they have some god given right to let their pets roam free despite the amount of accidents they cause, the fact their faeces can make children go blind and that theyre JUST as capable if its done from birth to either be taken out on a leash or kept in the house under their owners supervision as is routinely the case with expensive show cats.

But that would obviously require some effort and responsibility from the owner to actually walk it then rather than it being a pet that allows very lazy ownership 99% of the time

Its a shame that this has happened to your cat, or infact to any animal

But you also have to accept the fact and the reality that YOU allowed it to wander where it wanted and however you try to dress it up as something else is to blame that was the root cause of this occurence

Its hardly a secret that cats and dogs dont inately get on with each other, and that cats by their nature can get into areas that are other peoples private property some of which is going to contain one or more dogs (scrap yards being one prime example where vicious dogs are kept) so by allowing a cat to roam an owner HAS to take responsibility for that as well as the resulting fall out from it

For one theres a VERY good chance your cat whilst on its travels has killed many quite expensive racing pidgeons whos owners could equally have been attached to those. Had that thought ever crossed your mind?

Of a pidgeon being not just attacked, but tortured as tends to be a common behaviour of cats. And "maybe" dying after an hour of being played with by your cat?

Infact many dog owners ALSO have large vets bills when cats with no right to be in their garden scratch their pets in their own back gardens in many cases causing the loss of sight in one or more eyes as thats a common target for cats claws so even your cat "could" have already done that to somebodies dog too

Maybe that hasnt "actually" happened, but how can you know? Or how can you know it hasnt happened dozens of times?

I hope your cat recovers and you arent too badly affected by the financial burden, but in future maybe you should consider controlling your pet and limiting its freedom in the same way that dog owners are also expected to do

Infact why not try explaining why you think you have the right to let your cat roam freely to someone who has been fetched off their motorbike, pushbike or who has crashed their car because of one. Or better yet try convincing the parent of a child who whilst playing in their own gardens soil lost, or almost lost their sight because somebodies cat had buried faeces there why it should be "acceptable" and see how you get on

Sorry if this post sounds harsh, and infact I do realise that to some it might be

But if you will pardon the pun it is a "pet hate" of mine that the irresponsible and selfish nature of cat owners in society is still barely even considered and then when something like this happens they never seem to factor in their own complicity and the fact that they are allowing their pet the freedom that caused the incident to begin with

Had the dog jumped into your garden and attacked your cat which never left unless superviced I would be behind you 110%, but the facts here are that your cat with no owner supervision was allowed to roam free and as a result of that went into the garden of this dog which is how the attack was able to occur

What the dog may or may not have done previous, what the owner is or isnt like doesnt really factor into this as even some of the most timid and friendly dogs if not raised with cats WOULD also have reacted in the same way in the same circumstances

MikeWM
Msg: 12
view profile
History
Dog on cat attack
Posted: 9/26/2011 1:33:15 AM
Actually many people DO infact take cats out on a leash the same as people who never let their cats out. But its usually just people with expensive breeds of cats.

A cat, the same as a dog grows up being used to what its known. and if that is to be ONLY taken out on an extending leash then thats ALL its used to and has nothing to do with some silly notion that its a "cat" and cant possibly do anything else

Countless cats are even trained for use in the film industry, another thing people who REALLY know nothing about cats often claim "cant" be done

Theres no such thing as "cant" just "cant be bothered" or "its too much like hard work (I might as well have bought a dog)"

Where I used to live a woman had two siamese cats that she put in shows and would regularly take them onto the fields across the road on 50 ft extending leads so they could run about both of which would come back to her when called and never had a problem with this as they didnt know any different

So to claim it "cant" be done is pretty laughable really considering it IS infact done
 Whitey5.10.74
Msg: 14
view profile
History
Dog on cat attack
Posted: 9/26/2011 2:04:03 AM

Staffordshire Bull Terrier puppies are very easy to house train
I've just got a puppy, Marley and already he is learning tricks.

OT Marley's mum and dad are both Staffs and very good natured...however, if the cat from next door comes into my girlfriends garden they both go mental. In fact, if they are out in the back garden the cat will sometimes sprawl on top of the garden shed, tormenting them both.

As your cat has ventured into the dogs garden, I really do not think that you have a case?
 stonecastle
Msg: 17
view profile
History
Dog on cat attack
Posted: 9/26/2011 3:32:26 AM
The dangerous dogs act needs to be extended to include more breeds! Also dog licences need to be brought back with very strict criteria to stop idiots from owning dogs.
 Strider886
Msg: 20
view profile
History
Dog on cat attack
Posted: 9/26/2011 4:28:58 AM
Similar thing happened locally, except the cat was on someone else's garden and the dog was being walked by it's owner on one of those stupid extending leashes.

Cat did not survive and a week later we had a note through each door in the street calling for the dogs owner to come forward.

I have to wonder though, is this like people who moan about boy racers charging up the street, but don't utter a word if some rich mofo does it in his brand new Range Rover sport?

Are dogs like staffy's discriminated against because of their appearance?
and would OP be trying to get it destroyed if it were a cute/fluffy poodle?
 MikeWM
Msg: 30
view profile
History
Dog on cat attack
Posted: 9/27/2011 2:02:18 AM
You saying she should get a cheetah next time then?
 MikeWM
Msg: 36
view profile
History
Dog on cat attack
Posted: 9/29/2011 4:42:29 PM
Shooting any cats that you see unnaccompanied is also "an option" too

If someones pet comes into YOUR garden they only have themselves to blame if your dog decides to munch on it

It really is that simple
 Strider886
Msg: 37
view profile
History
Dog on cat attack
Posted: 9/30/2011 3:33:15 AM

I don't know what he was doing in there....

Why do people jump out of planes?

I've witnessed cats dicing with danger many a time.

My family had a Springer Spaniel and a German shepard dog, the GSD was alright around cats, but the old girl Springer Spaniel hated them. We used to put a stake in the ground and leave her on the large front lawn to ward off cats (who like crapping in the flower beds), she loved sitting out in the sun and loved being out on that front lawn.

The cats learnt how long the chain was, and used to sit there just outside her reach, literally winding her up.
So we started randomly shortening/lengthening the chain so they couldn't work out where the safe spot was.

We did occasionally catch a glimpse of a cat being tossed through the air, but the Springer was 13 years old and had no teeth left, so she couldn't do any harm. It was just enough to deter the dirty little critters from our garden.
 Strider886
Msg: 39
view profile
History
Dog on cat attack
Posted: 9/30/2011 5:44:09 AM

my dog got attacked by a cat i was walking her past a bush and this huge cat jumped out and savaged her now do i sue the owner for having a viscous cat!!!

Dog, cat, horse, duck, mutant frog, if it attacks me or mine, it gets a boot to the face!
 andy1961
Msg: 43
view profile
History
Dog on cat attack
Posted: 10/14/2011 12:56:55 PM
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Holy mother! I'll bet you're one of these women that shoves cats in council refuse bins when nobody's looking!

MikeWM
Msg: 44
view profile
History
Dog on cat attack
Posted: 10/14/2011 1:12:24 PM
Tbh I dont see stray or wandering cats as that much above vermin

If its a "pet" the owner should be responsible for it at ALL times, and if it escapes it should be captured and they should pay or be fined before they get it back

That should apply to both dogs and cats

it really doesnt matter in this instance what "someone said" about the owner of the dog. Because youre cat could just as easily have TRESSPASSED (because thats kind of what it is) into the garden of someone with a really nice tempered dog, but one that doesnt like cats and still just as easily been attacked and injured to the same extent

The dog isnt the issue here, the issue is that an unsupervised cat was where it didnt belong

So the person responsible for that is the owner of the cat, and therefore the person who SHOULD foot the vets bill, and even the dogs vet bill if it sustained any injuries is the owner of the cat IMO

Unless the dog comes into YOUR garden and savages your cat its not the dog or even the dog owners fault in the slightest. Its yours
 MiaCat74
Msg: 45
Dog on cat attack
Posted: 10/14/2011 1:58:26 PM
I am sorry that this happened to your cat, it must have been so stressful for both of you

But in terms of the law you dont have any rights here, your pet was on the dogs property
It is very strange that your cat just didnt leap to safety, in a confined garden a cat would usualy have the upper hand

I think it is very commendable that the 17 year old managed to get hold of his dog and save the life of the cat, the fact the dog turned on him is not an indication of an aggressive dog, redirected agression is a natural reflex - and is why I wouldnt usualy advise getting inbetween a dog fight

If the dog IS agressive to people and other animals and left free to roam NOT on its own property then the law is basically if you feel in danger from the dog then you can report him

It angers me that people talk about expanding the dogs on the DDA
That act is a farce - if you look at actual number of dog bites dogs like spanials are actually more likely to bite than a staffy

Blame the DEED not the BREED - most often the problem begins with bad breeders breeding for profit and not looking at the temprament of their breeding stock and then follows on to owners geting 'status dogs' and not training and socalising them properly and not getting help when they realise their dog has issues they cant deal with - or missinterperating them ( for example thinking their dog is well ard if it growls at everything - when infact it is more likely to be very scared if it is growling all the time)
Or taking advice from TV stars with no qualifications and following dangerous training methods

BTW muzziling all dogs in public would actually create more agression problems - because dogs need to be able to read each others facial expressions to effectively commonicate with each other

I am always sorry when I hear something like this
But we keep animals
If you have a free range cat you are balancing the natural enjoyment of their freedom against the chance of being hit by a car, attacked by a dog or getting trapped somewhere

and as another poster says - you dont actually know what your cat is doing while he is roaming free - slowly killing songbirds? - Or for that matter I was walking my 2 dogs onlead and a cat raced over and started attacking one of my dogs - I couldnt stop it because I had to hold my other dog back - thankfully the owner saw and raced out to grab her cat off my dogs

Should all cats be muzzled when out?
 MikeWM
Msg: 47
view profile
History
Dog on cat attack
Posted: 10/14/2011 4:17:36 PM
I think practically ANY cat would very quickly learn to not roam if fitted with an electroshock collar that ONLY zapped it when it left the garden

Saying its a cats "nature" is still IMHO a bit of a cop out, dogs werent initially "peoplepack" animals either and didnt naturally want to associate with people nor live in houses or even walk on leads etc etc

We train them to do that by removing their choice or say in the matter and the exact same thing would equally apply to cats if approaches that allowed for the fact they DO climb were applied rather than applying what works with dogs to a cat then being to lazy to alter the approach when it clearly isnt sufficient

I think rather than cats owning people whats actually far more acurate is something like

People who can actually be bothered with the work and effort involved in owning a pet own dogs, people who cant be bothered own a cat and just let it roam
 Bodiesroadie
Msg: 48
view profile
History
Dog on cat attack
Posted: 10/14/2011 4:32:05 PM
Just wondering how many wild creatures you cat has killed whilst it's been left roaming about the place.

That's what they do btw.
 Lorri55
Msg: 49
view profile
History
Dog on cat attack
Posted: 10/15/2011 11:14:40 AM
I have 2 cats....my partner Bob has one dog, a really lovely , crazy Springer Spaniel.
Fortunately we also have 2 homes.........works well for all of us
 MikeWM
Msg: 52
view profile
History
Dog on cat attack
Posted: 10/15/2011 11:47:46 AM
Yeah, and cat owners that let their cats bury shit in ANYONES garden despite the bacteria in it being known to cause blindness in kids whose garden it might be

Shocking isnt it how some "pet owners" will let their "pets" shit absolutely ANYWHERE

For fairness though, and to help with the unemployment crisis why dont we just employ some extra vermin control people who then shoot any dog OR cat found wandering the streets

That would be fair to not only dog and pet owners, but to parents and everybody else in the country too

Perfect :)
 MikeWM
Msg: 54
view profile
History
Dog on cat attack
Posted: 10/15/2011 12:29:50 PM
They could just keep the cat in doors or walk it on a lead like thousands of owners of expensive cat breeds or show cats already seem to manage to do without any problems

So if they can manage to do it as is also the case with dog owners then the only reason "ordinary" cat owners cant seem to manage it would be laziness, no other reason
 Lorri55
Msg: 56
view profile
History
Dog on cat attack
Posted: 10/15/2011 12:35:54 PM
My cats go out for a wander and a bit of fresh air....then come in and use their litter trays
All their 'doings' go into my wheely bin so the neighbours are happy
 MikeWM
Msg: 57
view profile
History
Dog on cat attack
Posted: 10/15/2011 12:39:07 PM
So youre claiming theres only a few hundred people in the entire world with house cats or show cats then? Yeah right pmsl

And Lorri, unless you follow your cat everywhere you dont know it "only" shits in its litter tray, just that "sometimes" it does

Thats not exactly the same thing at all
 Lorri55
Msg: 58
view profile
History
Dog on cat attack
Posted: 10/15/2011 12:51:37 PM
Mike

They are indoor cats who go out only when I am around....so you are talking maybe about 30 mins when I come in from work.....so trust me, I know where they shit. The weight of my bin every Sunday tells me that.
There are some responsible pet owners around.
 MikeWM
Msg: 61
view profile
History
Dog on cat attack
Posted: 10/15/2011 1:25:32 PM
Ok fair point then Lorri53 , but thats hardly the "norm" for most cat owners is it?

Most have cats that are out for long periods, some even days at a time or have the freedom to come and go through cat flaps when they please

And foxy I may have been wrong about the "thousands" estimate, its looking like its actually MUCH higher and quite likely to into the hundreds of thousands worldwide but if I get a decent source I'll post it back

Its also the case that cats never let outside actually have no problem at all either living totally indoors OR walking on a harness and lead

As well as apparently meaning they live longer too often into their 20s allegedly

http://maxshouse.com/Healthy+Happy_Indoors.htm

http://www.infopet.co.uk/pages/0171.html

http://www.rspca.org.uk/allaboutanimals/pets/cats/environment/indoors

Which are just a few links that dont decry the "inhumanity" or impossibility of it, quite the opposite infact that it is infact not a huge deal unless the cat is allowed to get bored which is exactly the same thing with dogs too
 mister_Harvey
Msg: 62
view profile
History
Dog on cat attack
Posted: 10/18/2011 1:54:29 PM
I can't stand these dogs. I know a dog is only as bad as its owner and breeding but some of these jaws on legs are just a bad incident waiting to happen.

Hope your cat makes a full recovery.
 Strider886
Msg: 65
view profile
History
Dog on cat attack
Posted: 10/20/2011 3:33:38 AM
I'm just waiting for the "cats are really clean" non-sense.
Show ALL Forums  > UK forums  > Dog on cat attack