Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Recipes and Cooking  > pig roast      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 raxarsr
Msg: 1
view profile
History
pig roastPage 1 of 2    (1, 2)
i searched..can believe this has never been brought up

now..from what i understand.....theres 39 people in the meat eating world that dont like roast pig.................this thread isnt for you

i like a pig between 90 and 120 lbs.........bigger and its tough to cook all the way thru without drying out a lot of it

theres several ways to roat a pig.........but the best ways is when your turning the pig..........either whole on a spit.......or split on racks........i prefer the split........but a spit is easier...................but on a spit......you cant cut slices in the skin to get the rub worked in good

as far as rubs go.........theres hundreds .if not thousands of recipies..........but the best......and by far the easiest is just buy goya.............matter of fact....if you have a mexican/spanish market handy...talk to them.......also get a big bottle of adobo and believe it or not....cinnimon

basteing a pig really crisps up the skin.....and anyone that dont love crispy pig skin proubly eats cardboard...............the bastes i like....[for most of the cooking].......are apple cider......[not juice]..........with about 1/4 orange juice added...........and coconut milk..........[dont mix cider/coconut milk............and you baste the skin........if its split...only baste the "meat" side once or twice..........you can tell when it needs it

pigs take a long time to cook.........8 hrs is the minimun...12 hrs dont hurt...........and charcoal is the only way to go.............just remember to heap the fire higher on the ham and shoulder ends....less under the ribs

oh yeah.......never sauce a pig while cooking........save that for later
 texasbaby
Msg: 2
view profile
History
pig roast
Posted: 10/6/2011 7:39:51 PM
Just sauce yourself while the pig cooks, along with a bunch of your friends, cause that's a lot of meat!
Pig roasts are a wonderful social event and fall is the perfect time. So, Rax, are we all invited?

tb
 THEKidWicked
Msg: 3
pig roast
Posted: 10/7/2011 1:18:55 AM
don't you have pig roasts and bbq parties up north?
 QueenBeeSweetness
Msg: 4
pig roast
Posted: 10/7/2011 2:42:05 AM
I have never been to a pig roast, despite living the South, wierd huh.

Your recipe sounds really good though.

I do enjoy a nice homecooked porkchop dinner or some pozole now and then, but i admit i might be freaked by seeing the actual pig being roasted. I remember attending a friends Grandmothers Christmas Eve bash where she was making homemade pozole, & i saw a pigs head in the kitchen, although i LOVE me some pozole, i couldnt eat it that night, lol.
 Moonchild51
Msg: 5
view profile
History
pig roast
Posted: 10/7/2011 7:59:15 AM
Hello my friend Rax! I went to a pig roast about 10 years ago. He smoked his pig with cherry wood...OMG! I couldn't stop eating the lil feller!
Sadly not been to one since but the food is amazing and the socializing is awesome!
 Molly Maude
Msg: 6
view profile
History
pig roast
Posted: 10/7/2011 12:52:30 PM
went to some sort of deep pit barbecue decades ago ... the folks who threw the party had dug huge pits for a whole pig and a couple turkeys ... it, too, was a political event that my ex-fiance was involved in ... something about chemicals on fruit!

the pig and turkeys LOOKED like they would have tasted good ... but I was so grossed out by seeing their FACES and so forth ... that I was too cowardly to eat any of it ... TOO MUCH information about how the animals were killed, prepared, etc. ... fortunately, they also had baked beans and potato salad!
 Paully1965
Msg: 7
pig roast
Posted: 10/9/2011 8:23:48 PM
I have been having an annual pig roast for the past 16 yrs. I bury mine in the ground. Let it cook for 14-15 hours, dig it out and it falls apart. You can't eat the skin, but the meat is so moist and tender! Perfect for a fall party!! I have 3 different sauces that I make. A Sweet, A vinegar based, and A Jack Daniels Sauce! Good stuff!!
 raxarsr
Msg: 8
view profile
History
pig roast
Posted: 10/11/2011 9:26:27 PM
honest folks....its not hard to do..........pig cookers are avalible to rent.......and the racks are pretty easy to make....or get made............if you make a rack.........all you need for the "pit" is conctete blocks stacked in a square 40 inches high [5 layers]

pig roasts are indeed social events........[usually drinking events too].......and cooking one..well........you need a few helpers...........i've started fire at 11 pm and didnt pull the pig off till 2 pm the next day....long long night........but oh so yummy
 raxarsr
Msg: 9
view profile
History
pig roast
Posted: 10/13/2011 5:19:16 PM
oh.i've cooked plenty paul.........but i do like your idea
 MsMicki
Msg: 10
view profile
History
pig roast
Posted: 10/14/2011 6:47:49 PM
Most of our pits around here are made out of an old Fuel Oil tank....cut in half and hinged.

I prefer to cut my hog up into quarters, but I have cooked them whole.
Tried stuffing a whole one at my last party with potatoes, cabbages and onions......but the veggies were no where near done, so won't mess with that again.

And I prefer to use Apple wood over hickory.

Yes, it is a long night.....but a having a couple buddies hang with you, some good tunes and a bottle of bourbon whiskey makes the night much more pleasant!
 THEKidWicked
Msg: 11
pig roast
Posted: 10/15/2011 2:21:19 AM
veggies wouldn't cook in 8 hours?

i would think stuffing with potatoes and earthy veggies would work quite well.

great idea
 raxarsr
Msg: 12
view profile
History
pig roast
Posted: 10/15/2011 7:42:00 AM
your right kid............it sounds good............but for some reason....it just dont work

there is one guy i know that stuffs his with a 5 gallon bucket of potato filling........that works ok
 MsMicki
Msg: 13
view profile
History
pig roast
Posted: 10/15/2011 8:44:54 AM
If you are going to try it Kid.........I suggest parbroiling all the veggies first..
Since my veggies came out about 1/2 done after 11 hours.......maybe starting with them half done would do the trick!
 dsljim
Msg: 14
pig roast
Posted: 12/4/2011 4:11:09 PM
Stuff the pig with Polish Sausage. Don't buy buns, put the sausage on 2 slices of provolone fork on some hot pepper relish.
For potatoes, split raw potatoes put in healthy slice of onion, pat of butter, garlic powder and a dash of salt,wrap in tinfoil, throw them on a rack for the last hour or so.
 pupdaddy12003
Msg: 15
view profile
History
pig roast
Posted: 12/5/2011 7:11:01 AM
I don't even like the idea of stuffing a turkey let alone stuffing a hog. But I do have one of those Oil Barrel roasters...and I like the 120 lb. size hog for roasting. We have always skinned our hogs..because it allows the fat to be trimmed a bit on the back of the hog before roasting. I've had people who borrowed my roaster wish they had followed my advice..because when they didn't trim the fat..they ended up with a huge fire from the grease dripping into the charcoal. If you want to baste the hog that is on a spit...I went to the local farm supply store..and bought a large (50cc) syringe for giving shots to livestock. It's perfectly sanitized..so you don't have to worry...but you can inject your marinade/mop sauce/basting sauce into the hog..and it will slowly ooze out as it rotates on the spit. When I roast one..I like to keep the roaster temp anywheres from 280F to 310F ...and I usually end up opening the roaster once per hour for replenishing the charcoal..and basting. A 120 lb. hog will be at 170F in the shoulder in under 7 hours for me if I keep my fire going right.
 nyc_bigapple
Msg: 16
pig roast
Posted: 12/7/2011 2:04:05 PM
yukkkkkkkkkkk, pig roast, who want to eat that filthy animal, you eat filth and you behave like one
 raxarsr
Msg: 17
view profile
History
pig roast
Posted: 12/8/2011 8:54:23 AM
gee bigapple.......for someone who"Hate rude, disrespectful, mean coward people."
[quoted from your profile].........you sure dont practice what you preach
 mamamugg
Msg: 18
view profile
History
pig roast
Posted: 12/8/2011 9:50:13 AM
Does that mean if we eat cheese...we're cheesy
fruit........we're fruity
beef.........we're beefy...
...and on, and on...

texasbaby
Msg: 19
view profile
History
pig roast
Posted: 12/8/2011 10:32:32 AM
Gosh, if you don't eat pork, just decline ALL invitations to a pig roast. Now, that was pretty simple wasn't it?
But, I would sure show up, if someone invited me cause I like pork.

tb
 pupdaddy12003
Msg: 20
view profile
History
pig roast
Posted: 12/8/2011 10:54:27 AM
...by golly, I like peaches....I must be just Peachy... ;)
 dsljim
Msg: 21
pig roast
Posted: 12/8/2011 10:55:40 AM
Mom dad Joey and Johnny sit down to a nice dinner of meat, potatoes, and corn. Joey says, what is it? Mommy says, it's your 3 favorites corn potatoes and meat. Joey says, yeah but what kind of meat? Mommy thinks for a second. Well it's something mommy calls daddy sometime.
Johnny yells. " SPIT IT OUT!!! IT'S A*SHOLE!!! "

Why would someone that don't like roasted pig even read this? And then think they're contributing ?
That's like someone looking at your masterpiece,making a face, and then saying. " Are you gonna eat that? " No, The worlds gonna end at midnight, and I hated to see all that beer and hickory go to waste!:
 Vannili
Msg: 22
view profile
History
pig roast
Posted: 12/14/2011 10:56:47 PM
fave on roasted pig ( Lechon) is the crispy skin, with liver sauce. Then make stew of the leftover like head, ears,feet...yummy

we stuff the pig with some herbs, but I don't know what we baste on the pig while roasting in a hot charcoal.
 fishpizza
Msg: 23
view profile
History
pig roast
Posted: 12/18/2011 12:39:43 PM
heres a good link for a pig roast
http://www.1channel.ch/watch-355424-Comedy-Central-Roast-of-William-Shatner
 carolann0308
Msg: 24
view profile
History
pig roast
Posted: 12/19/2011 7:29:17 PM
Amazing if done right, I have a friend that has one every Labor Day and he uses local apple wood which is plentiful here. Bastes it in a mixture of apple cider, olive oil and homemade stock every 30 minutes. I bring my maple baked beans to the pot luck.
Never met anyone who didn't beg for an invite the next year.
Show ALL Forums  > Recipes and Cooking  > pig roast