Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Science/philosophy  > Postmodernity - What is it good for?      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 A_Gent
Msg: 1
Postmodernity - What is it good for?Page 1 of 1    
Defining "Postmodernity" is about as easy as nailing jello to a tree.

It seems to be an extension of existential philosophy, along the lines that we create our own or give our realities their own meaning.

Anyone care to give it a go?

More so, what are the characteristics of postmodern morality?

How is it to affect our world?
 johnny_digit
Msg: 2
Postmodernity - What is it good for?
Posted: 10/15/2011 8:13:30 AM
I think that a postmodernist would take exception to being called an existentialist, considering the fact the philosophy tends to call into question the use of categorizations. Postmodernists see that our perception of reality is coloured by our context which is a lot different from suggesting that reality itself is a construct of our perception.

I have never considered myself a postmodernist, but having just read the Wiki article and found myself agreeing with most of its principles, I would say that a postmodernist morality is one that recognizes the diversity of human needs, treating as moral any activity that allows people to fulfill their needs without denying the needs of others.

Simple concepts like consensus decision making and restorative justice come out of the concept that everyone's perception reality is a little different.
 A_Gent
Msg: 3
Posted: 10/15/2011 9:16:55 PM
Thank you for an intelligent and concise response...

... kinda takes the fun out if for the rest of us!

Cheers - W.
 IgorFrankensteen
Msg: 4
view profile
History
Posted: 10/16/2011 6:54:34 AM
The main thing I can suggest, is that unless there is an officially designated philosophical movement with established parameters...that since we are living in what we historians have labelled the "post-modern era," that the definition of postmodernity is entirely up to us as individual participants.
 Kohmelo
Msg: 5
view profile
History
Posted: 10/20/2011 6:51:58 PM
OMG is thay Alan Thick?
 Gwendolyn2010
Msg: 6
Posted: 10/20/2011 8:08:47 PM
The only thing that I remember about post-modernists (aside from a literary genre) from grad school is that we are written instead of us writing--or was that the modernists?
 A_Gent
Msg: 7
Posted: 10/21/2011 10:10:43 AM
Re: Gwendolyn2010 on 10/20/2011 11:08:47 PM

Can you explain more?
 HalftimeDad
Msg: 8
Posted: 10/21/2011 10:19:37 AM
You sort of need to understand the Modernist movement before you can get into post modernism. Modernism was started in a little cafe in Florence nearly a hundred years ago. Like all schools of thought it has its strengths and weaknesses - post modernism is largely an attempt to hang onto the strengths and reject the weaknesses.

At least that's how I see it. But I'm a bear of very little brain and this stuff gives me a headache when I try to get into it too deeply.
 A_Gent
Msg: 9
Posted: 10/21/2011 12:04:52 PM
Re: Half time dad, Posted: 10/21/2011 1037 AM

As you understand it, what are/were the strengths and weaknesses of Modernism.

How does Post Modernity seek to resolve the weaknesses?

Anyone care to venture the weaknesses of Post Modernism?

>

And I checked.. Postmodern = Post Modern. It can go either way

... not that there's anything wrong with that....
 Gwendolyn2010
Msg: 10
Posted: 10/21/2011 3:35:56 PM

Re: Gwendolyn2010 on 10/20/2011 11:08:47 PM

Can you explain more?

I looked up postmodernism for a reality check.

If you mean about being written instead of writing, postmodernism claims that our lives are scripted. This does not refer to fate or predestination, but that culture proscribes our beliefs and therefore, our actions. I didn't have the inclination to do real research, but Wikipedia states

It involves the belief that many, if not all, apparent realities are only social constructs, as they are subject to change inherent to time and place.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Postmodernism

Hence, we are governed by social constructs.

However, this is not an area of my expertise and I am quoting what a professor said.
 A_Gent
Msg: 11
Posted: 11/13/2011 4:36:30 PM
Curious that we should be suffering in this contemporary western world. Most nights when I go to be I take stock that I have a warm bed to crawl into (rather than sleeping in a gutter), the roof over my house is secure (no bombs or wind or firestorms), my belly is more full than it needs to be.... I have the love of my children, and the respect of my peers. My health is relatively good. And I have the reasonable expectation of the same tomorrow.

I think that with any of those in place, I am further ahead than most anyone else who has or does live on this earth.

Sure, there are issues that vex me and frustrations abound...

.... yet then isn't suffering relative?

Isn't that the point of existentialism, that we each give meaning to our own lives?

I think a critical aspect of modernism was that there was an external reality, or truth, that people struggled to understand and approximate.

In post-modernism, there is no external truth. Truth is what we perceive or create it to be.

No mind you, a person who believes that speeding automobiles will just pass through him/her without harm is likely to be a recipient of a Darwin award. But with moral issues, the consequences are usually less immediate.
 LiebestodPizza
Msg: 12
Posted: 11/14/2011 1:18:48 AM
To me it just simply means that we reject the Cartesian notions of truth (absolute), dualism (mind vs body), in the field of ethics we reject moral universalism in view of the contingency of any potential moral agent (in other words we keep in mind that human values and the ethical principles based on them are but one particular permutation within the Universe), we reject other various classical definitions and distinctions (analytic vs synthetic, good vs evil, matter vs form, the notion that relations are less real than objects, etc.)....

A postmodern interprets everything with a grain of salt. Nothing is "just so". There are multiple causes for most effects and no interpretation is ever the final interpretation.

But I don't really know for sure how to define it. That's just the way I always interpreted the term.
 LiebestodPizza
Msg: 13
Posted: 11/14/2011 1:23:19 AM
You know I checked Wikipedia and I am basically right. It's more of a rejection of old assumptions than any particular standpoint (although that is not to suggest that postmodern thinkers do not make positive claims).
 scorpiomover
Msg: 14
view profile
History
Posted: 11/15/2011 5:25:13 PM
RE Msg: 11 by Gwendolyn2010:
If you mean about being written instead of writing, postmodernism claims that our lives are scripted. This does not refer to fate or predestination, but that culture proscribes our beliefs and therefore, our actions.
I'd agree with that. I've noticed that a lot of the attitudes that people take, and even the way they respond to situations and to what things are said in passing, seem to be rather spurious, even irrational, especially when it comes to science. However, when I considered how a culture's history developed, and how that culture's values probably evolved in response to historical events, and then considered how those cultural values might predict what responses we might have to current day events, those responses suddenly made a heck of a lot of sense.
 IgorFrankensteen
Msg: 15
view profile
History
Posted: 11/15/2011 5:50:51 PM
I have been thinking about this more, and looking into the definitions of the words as well.

It appears to me that the definition of Postmodernity is actually still greatly in flux. The only certain thing, is that those who describe a Postmodern period or viewpoint as existing, are doing so to observe and either support, or oppose, a fundamental change they perceive to be occurring in societies approach to their own existence.

I think I have seen two, very opposite ideas about what postmodernity is, expressed just on this short thread. I might have misread, of course.

In the definitions I saw online, this same dichotomy seems to be present. As we see in our political environment, some people consider that "modernity" was a failure, and therefore view almost any change away from it, to be in improvement. Some others feel that Modernity "got it right," and that postmodernity is therefore a wrong step.

Back to the prime question: what is it good for?

For my own part, I would say that whether you view postmodernity as a step forward, or a mistaken direction, that challenging the status quo, ALWAYS offers one an opportunity to make a fresh start.

Whether one decides, upon being challenged in one's beliefs, to reaffirm them, or to alter them in some way to try to make them better align to a newly recognized reality, the exercise itself is almost always a good one to go through. So I would say that WHATEVER 'postmodernism" means, the possibility that it exists is a positive opportunity to improve ourselves, by questioning ourselves, about things that have always been presented as being "set in stone."
Show ALL Forums  > Science/philosophy  > Postmodernity - What is it good for?