Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Science/philosophy  > two suns - any explanations?      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 8plenty8
Msg: 1
two suns - any explanations?Page 1 of 2    (1, 2)
I've been looking at some videos on youtube that claim there are two suns - one is our sun and perhaps the other is Nibiru. I type in the words Two Suns and I get this from Asia news:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2r9DXg0PYlw

This one is from New York:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a9Lr4Syb3fc

This one is kinda cool - what do you think caused this?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S8LOc8MxekE

There are lots of others from all over the world and some are obviously sun dogs or reflections or a cloud splitting the sun in two or a lens flare.

Just thought it would be interesting to see people's responses and explanations and hopefully someone will post a link to a vid that is not easily explained away...why...because I find it entertaining. Thanks in advance.
 stargazer1000
Msg: 2
two suns - any explanations?
Posted: 10/18/2011 8:30:04 AM

one is our sun and perhaps the other is Nibiru.

Not likely. There is no Nibiru. It's a fable. Nonsense.

Understand, a second sun or another planet would be more than a visual phenomenon and it wouldn't be confined to only one or two places on the planet! It would have massive and dangerous consequences. And it would be visible LONG before now.

There are lots of others from all over the world and some are obviously sun dogs or reflections or a cloud splitting the sun in two or a lens flare.

If you hear hoofbeats, think horses, not zebras. Also possibly hoax, which is a far more likely scenario!
 8plenty8
Msg: 3
Posted: 10/18/2011 9:01:03 AM
That's an awful lot of amateurs on their cell phones hoaxing. Pretty amazing that many people know how to produce these from all over the world on cell phones mostly.

Lol - you say it would be visible long before now. There are vids of this going back a couple of years.

I think what you mean is that observatories would have seen it and told us about it. And people would stop working and paying taxes and the like. Actually some people already have lol.

What you mean is someone you trust from mainstream media would broadcast it. That's why I put the link to the Asian news. Do you think that's a hoax and if so what is it about the clip that makes it look hoaxed. Any ideas?

It's easy to dismiss without constructive analysis. I was hoping for something more detailed?
 --Zen--
Msg: 4
Posted: 10/18/2011 9:36:27 AM
There are binary star systems Alpha Centauri for example. We only have one star.
 MikeWM
Msg: 5
view profile
History
Posted: 10/18/2011 9:37:03 AM
I think an additional sun would be pretty hard to miss rather than hard to find

Plus the solar orbits might be quite different too

So I'd very much doubt it would have only been found in the last few years, the last few thousand perhaps.

But they tend to stand out a bit suns, kind of hard to miss really
 _TALL_IQ2_
Msg: 6
Posted: 10/18/2011 9:41:29 AM

It's easy to dismiss without constructive analysis. I was hoping for something more detailed?

Didn't you take physics/optics in HS or college? Ever heard of reflection/refraction?
Since there is only ONE sun, the solution is to look for why there may appear to be two..

Being in between two glass/mirror-like walls may be an obvious answer.
Ever seen yourself in many cascading images in between two bathroom mirrors?
 stargazer1000
Msg: 7
Posted: 10/18/2011 9:43:12 AM

That's an awful lot of amateurs on their cell phones hoaxing. Pretty amazing that many people know how to produce these from all over the world on cell phones mostly.

Okay, let's try it this way...last time you went out and watched a sunset or walked around on a sunny day, did you notice anything odd? Like a second sun or two shadows? What do you think is going to be the effect of a second sun? Or another large Jupiter-plus mass body in the solar system?

Lol - you say it would be visible long before now. There are vids of this going back a couple of years.

Yes, because the internet and, in particular, youtube videos are the best place to find accurate and unbiased reporting in the world!

You know what...I've been looking skyward quite a few years more. No sign of a mysterious planet or second star in the solar system...odd, dontcha think?

I think what you mean is that observatories would have seen it and told us about it.

And amateur astronomers and casual sky watchers and people walking their dogs...a second sun in the sky would be kinda hard to miss, dontcha think? Same thing with a planet big enough to actually show a sun-sized disk in the sky, come to think of it.

What you mean is someone you trust from mainstream media would broadcast it. That's why I put the link to the Asian news. Do you think that's a hoax and if so what is it about the clip that makes it look hoaxed. Any ideas?

What...you don't think reporters haven't been duped before? I remember a couple of years ago a weatherman reporting on things to look for in the sky noted that whole "Mars as big as the moon in August" thing...which is an internet hoax. Anyone with even a basic knowledge of astronomy would've known that.

Okay, how about common sense.

What do you think would happen with a second sun in the sky? Warmer climate? How about seared from twice the solar flux. Not to mention the fact that the two images are so close together that, if they were in that close proximity, both stars would be well within the roche limit of each other. They'd merge into a larger, twice as massive star. That would be a VERY bad day for us.

Forget perspective effects. If they were two stars orbiting a greater distance, to both appear the same size in the sky, one would have to be much more massive (and hotter) than the other. Again, we'd be toast! So would Mercury and Venus which would be tossed out of the solar system. In fact tidal disruptions from two stars orbiting each other would have humongous consequences for the entire solar system! Needless to say, it wouldn't be the same solar system we see now, that's for sure!

A cosmic interloper like a Jupiter-mass or larger planet (as well as brown dwarf, which is just a planet without a star, essentially) would also have unbelievably massive and unmistakable consequences for the solar system including our puny little planet!

And you'd KNOW about it rather than having to rely on YouTube videos from Asia.

Actually, if you're going to rely on the Internet for your information on this, you might want to check out NASA's website as well as Phil Plait's Bad Astronomy blog. He's tackled this topic ad nauseum.

Unless, of course, you prefer to think the "truth" is being kept from you. Of course, if you do, there's always just going out and having a look!
 MikeWM
Msg: 8
view profile
History
Posted: 10/18/2011 10:07:29 AM
Maybe Kennedy was going to go public about the solar systems second sun and thats why a hit squad of genetically enhanced communists and extra terestrials bumped him off?

And Princess diana could have found his secret journal, and well, we all know what happened there

So maybe the smartest thing to do is pretend you DONT know about the second sun.......

Bloke_up_North
Msg: 9
view profile
History
Posted: 10/18/2011 10:09:24 AM
According to the bloke that invented the myth, Zecharia Sitchin, the Sumerians discovered Nibiru 3600 years ago. They did this with technology that is better than anything we have now. WE can't perceive it with all the telescopes, all the computing power, all of the knowledge and modern technology that we have at our disposal now. They deduced that Nibirus orbit around the sun is 3600 years, meaning that in 2012 it will make its closest approach to the earth causing disaster and mayhem in its wake, all using technology that left no archeological evidence. If that is the case, why didn't it cause disaster and mayhem 3600 years ago?

Its a hoax.
 MikeWM
Msg: 10
view profile
History
Posted: 10/18/2011 10:30:07 AM

For a glimpse of what it might be like if a rouge planet was to enter our system
check out the new Lars Von Trier film : Melancholia

I thought there already was a "rouge" planet in the solar system?

its called mars innit?
 stargazer1000
Msg: 11
Posted: 10/18/2011 10:33:00 AM
This is another interesting one I want to see. Thought provoking, even if the initial concept is somewhat far-fetched:

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1549572/

Edit} Please!...No Uranus jokes! I beg you!

8plenty8
Msg: 12
Posted: 10/19/2011 12:25:23 AM
Thank you Cheshire Catalyst for a sensible answer. I actually saw a mirage effect of the moon when I was in Israel over 25 years ago. It was pretty cool.
 8plenty8
Msg: 13
Posted: 10/19/2011 1:45:16 AM
This web site shows underwater cities of sevearl coastlines around the world dated well over 3,000 years = some 8 - 9,000 years old with no explanation of how they were built without some kind of mechanical help.
http://www.examiner.com/new-age-in-palm-springs/ancient-underwater-cities
So I wonder what caused this level of flooding.

Also, although there is some argument about how old the Redwoods are, some sites say there are none older than about 3,000 years/

Also, animals have been found in the arctic permafrost with vegetation in their mouths and stomachs that would indicate there were tropical like plants in that area at one time.

Could a planet have come close enough to earth to cause a pole shift to cause flooding and mass extinction?
 8plenty8
Msg: 14
Posted: 10/19/2011 1:58:38 AM
Here's a vid on youtube showing a city off the Coast of India, 125 feet under water that contradicts a lot of what we have been taught about the history of civilization.

What could have caused such flooding? There are lots of these ruins off coasts all around the world. Yes we know that 9,000 year old ruins could have been submerged when the ice packs melted but it seems this happened suddenly. What caused the melting - fossils show animals that were feeding off vegetation in areas that have been supposed to be under ice.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GQuMGjXfF7Y
 MikeWM
Msg: 15
view profile
History
Posted: 10/19/2011 6:14:53 AM
The entire northern polar region "used" to be a vast warm forested region

So the planets current configuration and climactic zoning is obviously something that is far from static, and for all we know might not just have very long duration cycles we are unaware of, but could also still be in the process of settling INTO predictable patterns and trends even now
 stargazer1000
Msg: 16
Posted: 10/19/2011 1:28:56 PM

Could a planet have come close enough to earth to cause a pole shift to cause flooding and mass extinction?

Unlikely. Such interactions have the effect of tearing planets apart or altering their orbits to send them either out of the solar system or into the sun.
 MikeWM
Msg: 17
view profile
History
Posted: 10/19/2011 2:03:22 PM
Actually that isnt true at all

Its suspected and might even be "known" I cant recall that poles do infact swap

Also that not only the start, but also the end of ice ages is quite likely to happen rapidly rather than slowly as first suspected

Animals have been found frozen in ice with undigested tropical foliage in their mouths and stomachs which would suggest VERY sudden freezing, as well as animal carcasses found in sea bed ruins that had been staked out at the time suggesting rapid flooding too

Our assumptions that these massive changes in climate happen gradually is mostly based on our own recent observation of the planets climactic cycles, but the reality is that because the weather is a fairly chaotic system rather than gradual changes things are just as likely to change due to one or more facet in the weather system reaching a tipping point that causes a rapidly escalating harmonic and cyclic adjustment

The same kind of thing that would happen if the gulf stream was artificially stopped as human activities off the east coast of the US is already in danger of doing, which could potentially cause an arctic climate to rapidly engulf most of the northern hemisphere in a matter of weeks
 MikeWM
Msg: 18
view profile
History
Posted: 10/19/2011 4:56:24 PM
Well being objective here, what I say shows what I am talking about, the fact you can tell what definitive errors I have made also shows you can understand what I mean

So all it actually shows is that I dont know the correct term or label

And an ice age starting or ending is surely climate rather than weather isnt it? As they did tend to last for thousands of years rather than a portion of one year

So a sudden change for a day or two, or even a month would be weather wouldnt it? But an entire hemisphere freezing over for a few hundred years or a millenium would be climate no?

And rather than pure critique, would it not have been more constructive and not taken hardly any longer to have actually defined the difference rather than JUST point out the error, as that does tend to come across as both academic snobery as well as deflective narrative rather than discussion too
 2findU
Msg: 19
view profile
History
Posted: 10/19/2011 5:03:40 PM
If Nibiru was another Sun, we would be able to see it without the aid of a telescope. There are unlimited hoaxes on the internet. The truth is out there but it is way outnumbered by the lies and hoaxes.
 MikeWM
Msg: 20
view profile
History
Posted: 10/19/2011 5:22:37 PM
Not saying its actually relevant here but a sentence I have always thought was thought provoking was this

"The best way to disprove what you disagree with, however true is to attach to it a lie that is so obvious that it discredits the initial narrative. After which the addition itself discredits the initial claim without further effort being required"

So I guess in this example, if for one second we did assume the moon landings where fake, and that some of the alleged proof was infact valid, then rather than countering it an easier approach would be to put out loads of quite obviously silly claims that its a fake which would then be assessed along with the valid ones as a collective stance

Another good approach might be to fund a fiction piece, either a film or TV series that mimmics what you are hiding so that when anyone is even close to the truth you can claim they are confusing the film or TV show with reality

I think the one that really stands out in that respect is the first episode of "The lone gunman" which was made about 6 months before 9/11 but mirrors what many think actually happened almost down to the most finite details

Bloke_up_North
Msg: 21
view profile
History
Posted: 10/20/2011 2:48:19 AM
The OP has deleted her/his/its profile. Looks like another Troll
 Professoro
Msg: 22
Posted: 10/20/2011 4:39:08 AM
orange sunshine.
 MikeWM
Msg: 23
view profile
History
Posted: 10/20/2011 11:42:06 AM
Thanks for adding the "remembering to open ya left" bit, I always did wonder why that never seemed to work when I've tried it before
Show ALL Forums  > Science/philosophy  > two suns - any explanations?